Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tail light replacement on the Civic.

That doesn't seem right.

Neither does that.

A rusty tail light sounds like something a Tijuana hooker would give you on the fourth of July but I can confirm it is nowhere near as enjoyable in reality.

You seem to be low on blinker fluid. In fact the dipstick's dry. Buy a VW TDI to replace it, they refill that automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

You seem to be low on blinker fluid. In fact the dipstick's dry. Buy a VW TDI to replace it, they refill that automatically.

I can only imagine the mind-loving confusion that must've happened to the first few guys who came across that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

It died the next day, succumbing to the dreaded P0601. New ECU is en route.

ECU replaced and reflashed. Everything's copacetic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Put it up for sale.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5490907658.html

"NO LOWBALLERS! I KNOW WHAT I GOT!"

Protip: Never post a running vehicle for under a grand on CL. Jesus.

Never put your number on a CL ad either. Even if you say "PLEASE TEXT. NO CALLS" people will still blow your poo poo up.

10 calls in the first half hour.
40 replies in the first 4 hours.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 15, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Protip: Never post a running vehicle for under a grand on CL. Jesus.

I always forget this then remember real quick after my phone starts blowing up. Listed a bike Friday night for 1k...had 10 calls, 30+ text messages and 5 emails by the time I got home five hours later. Eventually I got sick of low ballers and assholes and responded to all of them saying first one here (little market down the road) with cash gets it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bucephalus posted:

ECU replaced and reflashed. Everything's copacetic.

What's it take to flash the new ECU to the car? It seems to be a matter of when, not if, this happens on the Cobalts and Ions now, figure I should go ahead and set the money aside.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
~1 hour at the dealer. After I replaced the ECU, I dumped it off on her and my wife to get it towed to the dealership and have it done, so I have no idea what it actually entails. :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Put it up for sale.

Would you do it for $600 including shipping to the UK?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bucephalus posted:

~1 hour at the dealer. After I replaced the ECU, I dumped it off on her and my wife to get it towed to the dealership and have it done, so I have no idea what it actually entails. :v:

So basically an hour of dealer labor? Not as bad as I thought. Thanks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

I always forget this then remember real quick after my phone starts blowing up. Listed a bike Friday night for 1k...had 10 calls, 30+ text messages and 5 emails by the time I got home five hours later. Eventually I got sick of low ballers and assholes and responded to all of them saying first one here (little market down the road) with cash gets it.

Protip -- never use your real phone number for craigslist. Either have a google voice setup, or get a cheap android phone (or two) and use Ringplus... free phone/text and even some data, and it keeps you from having to deal with bullshit. And you can put it down and not worry about missing anything if it's blowing up. Plus, if you get a stalker or problem causer, you can just dump that number.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 15, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Protip: Use google voice if you want to be a piece of poo poo scammer, too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cage posted:

Protip: Use google voice if you want to be a piece of poo poo scammer, too.

Whenever I sell a car I do this, not to pull a fast one, but to avoid the dipshits who call up a year later and say the car needs new tires how much are you going to give me for them

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sure its probably smart I am just salty about the couple dicks I met on craigslist. I take pictures of everyones license plate whenever I meet up now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Whenever I sell a car I do this, not to pull a fast one, but to avoid the dipshits who call up a year later and say the car needs new tires how much are you going to give me for them

The girl who bought our Beetle started messaging that now, TWO YEARS LATER the loving thing is having problems and she wants her money back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

The girl who bought our Beetle started messaging that now, TWO YEARS LATER the loving thing is having problems and she wants her money back.

This is where I would literally text back "gently caress OFF", and not feel the lest bit bad about it. And I'm normally a softy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

:wtc:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Lmao the nerve of some people. Sorry, I don't offer loving warranties, ya jabroni.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

This is where I would literally text back "gently caress OFF", and not feel the lest bit bad about it. And I'm normally a softy.

I was nice at first but after the third text I told her to eat a dick.

I can not sell a car without drama. When I was selling the Lighting some clown tried to use Jesus guilt to get me to drop my asking price by $4000.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I was nice at first but after the third text I told her to eat a dick.

I can not sell a car without drama. When I was selling the Lighting some clown tried to use Jesus guilt to get me to drop my asking price by $4000.

Jesus told me I need to go fast.

But seriously it's a loving hot mess on CL.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I listed a car for $1500, with perfectly running engine and gearbox, and a poo poo body. I made it fully known that I was aware the body was poo poo, but the engine and box are worth $1500 and on top of that it had new tyres, aftermarket wheels and a decent stereo in it.

Some loving rear end in a top hat still came all the way out and then offered $500.

I took it because I am a bitch and already had a new car and just wanted to free up the space in the driveway more than anything else.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

$1000 bucks seems to be where all the poo poo hits the fan on CL for vehicles. Above $1000? Yes, usual shenanigans, dicks, and dead beats. $1000 or below? You have a strong desire to be miserable, waste all of your time, and not sell anything.

People seriously go absolutely ape poo poo at $1000. I was selling a knackered VW Passat on CL. At $1200 bucks I couldn't get rid of it. At $1000 I had 8 people scheduled to see it the next morning. I double booked everyone and only 3 showed. I still got $1200 bucks because the first guy saw the other two behind him. Bat poo poo.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Laserface posted:

I listed a car for $1500, with perfectly running engine and gearbox, and a poo poo body. I made it fully known that I was aware the body was poo poo, but the engine and box are worth $1500 and on top of that it had new tyres, aftermarket wheels and a decent stereo in it.

Some loving rear end in a top hat still came all the way out and then offered $500.

I took it because I am a bitch and already had a new car and just wanted to free up the space in the driveway more than anything else.

I had a truck we bought new, took exceptional care of, and had some poo poo luck with the valvetraing dropping a seat at 104k miles or so. Put it on craigslist for $3300, fended off lowballers left and right, and emailed the same guy like twenty times telling him what I would take. Finally had him come out, gave it a once over and sold it for three even, exactly what I wanted for it. A lot of wasted time. Bah.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted the downpipe, AC compressor, PS pump, aux water pump, inlet manifold and other little bits and pieces. Also, new connectors for the injectors, because I found some in a drawer at work.

I also got some electric adjusters for the head lamp. Strange that they weren't there, as all the wiring and the switch was present.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ThirstyBuck posted:

$1000 bucks seems to be where all the poo poo hits the fan on CL for vehicles. Above $1000? Yes, usual shenanigans, dicks, and dead beats. $1000 or below? You have a strong desire to be miserable, waste all of your time, and not sell anything.

People seriously go absolutely ape poo poo at $1000. I was selling a knackered VW Passat on CL. At $1200 bucks I couldn't get rid of it. At $1000 I had 8 people scheduled to see it the next morning. I double booked everyone and only 3 showed. I still got $1200 bucks because the first guy saw the other two behind him. Bat poo poo.

This.
I said gently caress this making appointments bullshit. Wrote one email and sent it to everyone who replied (every address was plainly visible in 'To' field so that everyone who got it could see that there were literally 40 other people vying for it.

"Everyone to meet me at 6pm, this address.
It will be a fight to the death, winner take all."
The bidding war that ensued was hilarious.

In the end I didn't feel like dealing with a parking lot full of assholes, so sold it to the first responder at 5:45 for $999 because he was polite and asked me only one question: "How are you doing?"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

afen posted:

Fitted the downpipe, AC compressor, PS pump, aux water pump, inlet manifold and other little bits and pieces. Also, new connectors for the injectors, because I found some in a drawer at work.

I also got some electric adjusters for the head lamp. Strange that they weren't there, as all the wiring and the switch was present.

That is a gigantic wastegate for what seems to be an average sized turbo.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Laserface posted:

That is a gigantic wastegate for what seems to be an average sized turbo.

It's the stock unit. I think they used similar wastegates for all the 10v and 20v turbo cars.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

afen posted:

It's the stock unit. I think they used similar wastegates for all the 10v and 20v turbo cars.

yeah I figured. I guess it might predate the internally gated turbos of the later 80s.

All turbos should be externally gated (and atmospheric venting :getin: )

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Finally got it back I the road.

To:

New rubber in everything rear of the motor, new struts, wheel bearings, strut mounts, etc. Cleaned and painted all the subframe parts. New diff cover to replace the old one that was cracked. New Guibo and center bearing. A winter project I tackled at a slow pace.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced the radiator and rotated the tires on the T&C.

Here, have a pic:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
loving non starting piece of poo poo:

Bump started it and drove it to the local junkyard.

Yeah these look way different:

Doesn't matter, gear reach, profile, throw, and mounting pattern are all the same, and despite being a different shape all the cables reach and it doesn't interfere with any other parts. So I bolted it on.

gently caress YOU:

Starts right up every time now!

Pretty sure it just needs to be degunked and have a minor rebuild done, everything looks reasonably good inside. Gonna shotgun wagner/ASPwholesale rebuild parts at it and maybe media blast and repaint the reused housing parts if I decide I care.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Changed the brakes on the Fit. 77K on the originals, and they weren't even down to metal-on-metal. The inside of the driver's rotor was swollen from rust, and was a bitch and a half to get off the hub. I put in the requisite M10 fasteners, and tightened them down while whacking the back of the rotor with a 3# sledge, which eventually worked, but what a PITA.

Then went out and cooked the brakes to bed them in. 6 brakes from 50->5, 4 from 75->5, then let them cool without the parking brake engaged. 475°C rotor temperature, which should be fine. They already feel much better than the old OEM pads/rotors.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Washed the Vette and the Sonic and got the summer wheels on the Sonic:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sheared off a badly rusted suspension mount bolt.

It's a weld-in mount point.

:suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Slung Blade and I finished putting shocks into my lovely Civic.

Now once Canadian Tire gets off its duff and puts some tires on my spare wheels, I'll have a working-but-ugly driver!

awwww jiss look at that stance.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 20, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sick credit card gap

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Slung Blade and I finished putting shocks into my lovely Civic.

Now once Canadian Tire gets off its duff and puts some tires on my spare wheels, I'll have a working-but-ugly driver!

awwww jiss look at that stance.

Did you replace the fronts or the rears? I know on my old civic the rear lower bolts snapped on both of them making that job a total pain in the rear end.

Today I replaced the wife's headlight bulb and cleaned out the garage so I can more easily do work in there. :feelsgood:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today I finished cleaning my wheels and put down the first coat of new plastidip. Temps sound like they will cooperate so I can lay down 4 or 5 coats tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Changed the brakes on the Fit. 77K on the originals, and they weren't even down to metal-on-metal. The inside of the driver's rotor was swollen from rust, and was a bitch and a half to get off the hub. I put in the requisite M10 fasteners, and tightened them down while whacking the back of the rotor with a 3# sledge, which eventually worked, but what a PITA.

Then went out and cooked the brakes to bed them in. 6 brakes from 50->5, 4 from 75->5, then let them cool without the parking brake engaged. 475°C rotor temperature, which should be fine. They already feel much better than the old OEM pads/rotors.

Why hello Honda brake buddy. I did the CRVs brakes today, 72k miles and they've been squealing like a motherfucker for a couple weeks.

All of the pads were worn (inside more than outside on all four) but none were anywhere near metal on metal, and I didn't even see any wear on the squealer tabs. My best guess is whatever materials Honda uses for rattle / squeal mitigation just gave up the ghost. I would have probably hit a squealer hard in another 5k so it was worth doing anyway.

Rear pads are loving tiny, like Opel GT front pad tiny. I suspect it's partly to save weight, partly to get all four wheels wearing through pads at similar rates.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

Did you replace the fronts or the rears? I know on my old civic the rear lower bolts snapped on both of them making that job a total pain in the rear end.
Both. Yeah we snapped one of the rear lowers. They seize in the crush tube I think.

Luckily I was already replacing the shock and the control arm at the same time but I still needed to wait on a new bolt from the dealer.

And the used rear shocks were missing their weld nuts so had to figure that out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Both. Yeah we snapped one of the rear lowers. They seize in the crush tube I think.

Luckily I was already replacing the shock and the control arm at the same time but I still needed to wait on a new bolt from the dealer.

And the used rear shocks were missing their weld nuts so had to figure that out too.

Those rear bolts are a bitch. I had to torch off the bottom of the shock, then melt the bushing out, then beat the bolt out of the sleeve on the wife's car. Mine came out easily, but I don't drive in the snow much. Just remember to grease the poo poo out of them when they go back in.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why hello Honda brake buddy. I did the CRVs brakes today, 72k miles and they've been squealing like a motherfucker for a couple weeks.

All of the pads were worn (inside more than outside on all four) but none were anywhere near metal on metal, and I didn't even see any wear on the squealer tabs. My best guess is whatever materials Honda uses for rattle / squeal mitigation just gave up the ghost. I would have probably hit a squealer hard in another 5k so it was worth doing anyway.

Rear pads are loving tiny, like Opel GT front pad tiny. I suspect it's partly to save weight, partly to get all four wheels wearing through pads at similar rates.

:hfive:

I didn't do the rears. They're drums, and I haven't touched the ones on the wife's Fit either, and it's got 150K on it. No need to deal with them until there's a reason. There's so little weight back there (67/33 weight dist) that I can't imagine they're doing much. Mine weren't squealing, but I'm amazed that they weren't...