Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I got elbowed in the chest when marking this guy a couple of weeks ago (he of course denied everything and said it wasn't even a foul, the oval office) and the thing is that the spot where I got hit still hurts, a rather sharp pain when I cough or breath deeply, otherwise there's a dull pain and it definitely hurts when I touch it.

Does it sound to you guys like I should have it x-rayed? it's been two weeks since I last played, dunno what to do about it. I try icing it but it doesn't seem to do much. any ideas?

sounds like a bruised rib, I've done a couple of these recently, kept me up the first night or two, then hurts when I cough, bend over, laugh sneeze.

kept improving.

I think if you broke or cracked it you would really know about it.

if it's free, go get it checked out. but if it's going to cost you a lot (YAY USA) then it's probably just bruised then I say ride it out

I think it took me about 6-8 weeks to recover properly from mine (happened once last year and once in january)

nothing to worry about too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm not going to argue against going to the doctor but it's probably one of those things where--no matter if it's a bruise or a break or a cartiledge tear or intercostal muscle tear--it's basically just going to have to heal on its own and there's not much to do in the meantime.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Thanks. 6-8 weeks kinda sucks, expected this poo poo to heal faster.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
one thing I read and did was to every hour or so take a dozen or so really deep breaths, apparently this is good for your recovery / can stop bad things happening if you're not inflating your lungs all the way because it hurts

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, I've had a few serious injuries and I definitely recommend trying to breathe at least a few times an hour.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Insanely Sikh posted:

Not sure who but there's a group that always blaze after our Sunday games, always a sudden waft of weed as we finish up

That's my crew.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
har har, with a rib injury your breathing can end up shallower than normal because it can hurt to take deep breaths. it seems to be recommended to take very deep breaths a few times an hour to properly inflate them

e/ to inflate your lungs, not your ribs obviously

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2016

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
All I can offer to you is to always keep breathing.
IANODIRL

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So of course after suffering a bruised rib these past two weeks I went to play today and got a shoulder + elbow combo straight into the ribs. That was fun for sure. This time it already began hurting whenever I sprinted while we were playing so I just know it's gonna be worse. Bleh.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So of course after suffering a bruised rib these past two weeks I went to play today and got a shoulder + elbow combo straight into the ribs. That was fun for sure. This time it already began hurting whenever I sprinted while we were playing so I just know it's gonna be worse. Bleh.

Lol whoops

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You should think about giving your opponent something to think about by barging them all the time and pulling their shirt until they get enraged and give you a black eye.

Ive got a game at 7pm. What should I be eating now, with 100 mins to go before ko?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

You should think about giving your opponent something to think about by barging them all the time and pulling their shirt until they get enraged and give you a black eye.

Ive got a game at 7pm. What should I be eating now, with 100 mins to go before ko?

Glucose, carbohydrates, a few pints. The usual.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

half a sweet potato and some protein, maybe some spinach as well

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
chain, surely

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
but really a banana, like my good friend idiot race

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

Coffee and a banana

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks friends. As I'm at work I'm going to have cottage pie. At 25g of protein and with 100% British beef, its a no brainer. At least in light of guidelines following the vCJD outbreak.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I've got the beef sweats urrrghh

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol u ate too much

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
wtf is cottage pie and is it something i should eat if i'm ever in England

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's a pie made with cottage cheese

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Lol, don't listen to him he's being an idiot. It's an apple pie shaped like a cottage, darling.

How was the game Craig? How long did it take you to puke?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I assume most of you guys used to play football as kids and thus rightfully sneer at us dweebs who only started playing as adults and have to make a mockery of ourselves on the pitch but as someone who only started playing a year ago it really feels great when you work on the basics and you start being capable of more than marking players on the pitch and passing the ball as soon as you receive it.

I'm obviously a bit of a nerd so over the past year whenever I took my son to the playground I brought a ball with me (well two balls, one size 2 ball for him) and kept practicing keepie uppies, shots from the volley and simple feints and skills, I mostly never even tried that poo poo when playing with the guys but recently it just sorta became natural to attempt fancier stuff when I receive the ball, last game I had the ball and pulled a dragback heel chop and felt super proud of myself, I also scored a goal from a volley to the bottom corner from like 8 meters out which was great, it also became really easy to punish people who try to dispossess me too aggressively by dragging the ball back or just gently flicking it behind their backs.

I mean obviously the guys I'm playing with are also a bit garbage themselves and when I played with a group who were more technically savvy poo poo was a lot more difficult but still, not being one of the worst players in our group anymore feels nice.

I wish there was some big secluded wall around here I could practice shots and controlling strong passes on cause that's still the most limited aspect of my game, when I receive lofted balls I feel like have something like 20% chance of actually controlling them in a satisfactory manner, when I try to chest down a ball it usually bounces back something like 2 meters which is frustrating. Oh well, baby steps and the such.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

My control is pretty poo poo and it's only something I've really worked on since my uni days - when I was at school I was a chubby prick so I used to play defence all the time and never really developed ball control as a result, but I play with a lot more confidence these days.

It's why I love 5's so much now, you get to sample all positions and not get bogged down in a single spot you may not even like or enjoy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Cottage pie is hearty beef sauce under a roof of mashed potato. Shepherds pie is the same but with lamb. There is no pastry involved so pie is a bit of a misnomer.

There was little running last night as we play on a small enclosed pitch bounded by a murderous three foot high whitewashed wall that resembles nothing so much as an unending set of teeth.

I played well, scoring the final goal in a 6-4 win that sent us to the top of the league on goal difference.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Nice. drat nice, in fact.

Insanely Sikh posted:

It's why I love 5's so much now, you get to sample all positions and not get bogged down in a single spot you may not even like or enjoy.

Agreed. Short sided games are the best for improving technically and learning the game.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The only thing I don't like about playing short-sided games is I am exposed as perhaps the worst finisher on the planet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I assume most of you guys used to play football as kids and thus rightfully sneer at us dweebs who only started playing as adults and have to make a mockery of ourselves on the pitch but as someone who only started playing a year ago it really feels great when you work on the basics and you start being capable of more than marking players on the pitch and passing the ball as soon as you receive it.

I'm obviously a bit of a nerd so over the past year whenever I took my son to the playground I brought a ball with me (well two balls, one size 2 ball for him) and kept practicing keepie uppies, shots from the volley and simple feints and skills, I mostly never even tried that poo poo when playing with the guys but recently it just sorta became natural to attempt fancier stuff when I receive the ball, last game I had the ball and pulled a dragback heel chop and felt super proud of myself, I also scored a goal from a volley to the bottom corner from like 8 meters out which was great, it also became really easy to punish people who try to dispossess me too aggressively by dragging the ball back or just gently flicking it behind their backs.

I mean obviously the guys I'm playing with are also a bit garbage themselves and when I played with a group who were more technically savvy poo poo was a lot more difficult but still, not being one of the worst players in our group anymore feels nice.

I wish there was some big secluded wall around here I could practice shots and controlling strong passes on cause that's still the most limited aspect of my game, when I receive lofted balls I feel like have something like 20% chance of actually controlling them in a satisfactory manner, when I try to chest down a ball it usually bounces back something like 2 meters which is frustrating. Oh well, baby steps and the such.

I started as an adult, and everyone here was pretty positive and supportive going past my issues with my legs. Main thing is just having fun really.

My son is almost 2 and we kick the ball back and forth. He loves it, and since I can't run I try to get better at keepy ups and the like. I also try to keep it away from him just by positioning the ball and not moving.

I feel more comfortable on a ball than I did years ago.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Playing footie with the kiddoes is great. Unfortunately for me my son doesn't really love it that much, sometimes we do play a bit for considerable periods of time but mostly when we're at the playground he prefers doing other stuff. He's only 2 years and five months old though so maybe eventually he will want to play more, or not, it's not like I'm gonna force him to play football.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You should and then he'll be set for life and never short of friends

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Summer League starts next Tuesday at 1830.
I haven't had a run for over a month and a half.
I'm out of shape, I should loose about 10 lbs.
I drink beer ..... a lot ... so that is my eternal struggle.

I need to stretch and I can't wait.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I would set yourself a plan to prepare. Go for a light jog for 5k today, do leg day on Saturday, drink spirits this weekend and remember to warm down after the game. Also buy a £40 yicam gopro and tie it to the goal so you can see how you performed

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Playing footie with the kiddoes is great. Unfortunately for me my son doesn't really love it that much, sometimes we do play a bit for considerable periods of time but mostly when we're at the playground he prefers doing other stuff. He's only 2 years and five months old though so maybe eventually he will want to play more, or not, it's not like I'm gonna force him to play football.

Whats he like at Fifa?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

loving pumped after our game tonight; were down 3-2 with five to play against an extremely angry russian team and then pegged one back to get the scores even. They put a throughball in and I saved the one-on-one by getting out quickly and taking it off the striker's feet as he pulled back for the shot, then launched it to our winger who took two touches, smashed a shot into the bar, and then had the ball tucked home on the back post by our other winger. Whistle blew as they came back for the kickoff.

Back home and it's 22:50 and I have a purring cat in my lap and a beer in my hand and everything is cool and good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

iajanus posted:

loving pumped after our game tonight; were down 3-2 with five to play against an extremely angry russian team and then pegged one back to get the scores even. They put a throughball in and I saved the one-on-one by getting out quickly and taking it off the striker's feet as he pulled back for the shot, then launched it to our winger who took two touches, smashed a shot into the bar, and then had the ball tucked home on the back post by our other winger. Whistle blew as they came back for the kickoff.

Back home and it's 22:50 and I have a purring cat in my lap and a beer in my hand and everything is cool and good.

Nice!

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
pre games I got tired of feeling like there was a huge brick in my stomach even if I ate something relatively healthy. I'm one of those dweebs with the nutrabullet easy-to-clean single serve blenders. Now I pretty much religiously make a smoothie pre-games that consists mostly of oats, a banana and a bit of peanut butter. Supplemented with chia seeds or flax seeds or hemp protein or whatever healthy new age crap my wife bought for $30 a pound and topped off with almond milk/coconut water for hydration.

Coffee is also good for night games because god drat games that start after 10 p.m. are lovely. Caffeine in general is apparently a wonder drug that reduces more pain than advil and lets you work out longer or some poo poo. It's like a legal performance enhancing drug.

also last night our non-competitive team won at futsal. We've clinched "not-last-place" for the first time ever, and we're one game away from .500 if we win next week! As we've been rock bottom in the lowest men's league possible for like over a year, this is a huge accomplishment, pretty much as good as Leicester if you ask me. As keeper I took a shot to the face that cut my the inside of my lip that I feel today but it was totally worth it!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
my outdoor teams are doing miserable this season.

my Mon night 7v7 is like 2-5 and my 11v11 team is 1-5 with a GD of like -15. doesn't help that the organizers decided on one division this season for no reason. i love playing soccer but when the other team's players are just so much better than yours and just hold the ball, it's loving awful

Geno fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 29, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Geno posted:

my outdoor teams are doing miserable this season.

my Mon night 7v7 is like 2-5 and my 11v11 team is 1-5 with a GD of like -15. doesn't help that the organizers decided on one division this season for no reason. i love playing soccer but when the other team's players are just so much better than yours and just hold the ball, it's loving awful

Yeah, it's super aggravating. Especially on defense when you're constantly being worked over and over again by players faster and skilled. I think I luckily only had to play one game like that. It sucked because I was in a full out sprint to catch this guy and he is faster while dribbling. Ended up one on one with the keeper and he saved it thankfully but there was no way I was going to be able to mark him all match.

File a complaint with the organization and see what becomes of it. They should at least have brackets for age.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My team is 4-1 in the league but had the fun of playing a top division team in the cup and got bundled out 5-1 last week :(. Stupid random draw; at least we got to play at home so we didn't have the fun of the 1.5 hour drive home our opponents did.

Only downside of last night's awesome game was making a decent save at the beginning of the second half with my groin and spending the next five minutes fighting the urge to throw up. 23 hours later and I can still feel it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Big Taff Man posted:

Whats he like at Fifa?

I try to limit his access to video games, don't want to the kid to wind up a nerd like his father.