Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
poked my nose into salt and sanctuary

found a sanctuary and some salt (literally in both cases)

it's exactly 2d souls, down to the stamina bar and riposte move and two-handing button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The map gaming fails are off the charts here.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

start with the mary holland episode or maybe something with a comedian you recognize. Not paulie shore though, that one's for advanced listening.

sounds interesting. to bring this discussion back to games, i listened to the RadioLab episode on That Dragon, Cancer. loving heart wrenching but definitely made me consider picking up the game if it's in the next steam sale. :unsmith:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Squeezy Farm posted:

sounds interesting. to bring this discussion back to games, i listened to the RadioLab episode on That Dragon, Cancer. loving heart wrenching but definitely made me consider picking up the game if it's in the next steam sale. :unsmith:

get some. remember what a huge freaking fail the ouya was?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

imagine if ouya and the xbox one ("xbone," lol) had a baby... it'd run android, and it'd have the wrong kind of RAM. i'm laughing out loud just thinking about it.

edit: thank you knuc for your Forum Hack.

GameCube fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 15, 2016

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The XBone.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
xb1x is still the superior abbreviation for the xbox one

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

haveblue posted:

poked my nose into salt and sanctuary

found a sanctuary and some salt (literally in both cases)

it's exactly 2d souls, down to the stamina bar and riposte move and two-handing button

this will tide me over, thanks :)

saw a preview and the little bit of attacking skeletons was all i needed

2d souls here i come!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

more like dICK posted:

does anyone here play dominions 4?

Al! posted:

I own it but I'm too dumb to play it

i gave it a shot and would do so again

we should get a group goin

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

GameCube posted:

imagine if ouya and the xbox one ("xbone," lol) had a baby... it'd run android, and it'd have the wrong kind of RAM. i'm laughing out loud just thinking about it.

edit: thank you knuc for your Forum Hack.

the Xbouya

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Stymie posted:

superior

xbox one

oh COME ON

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i gave it a shot and would do so again

we should get a group goin

does it have a basic asynchronous option? I'd be down for a super slow game

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

does it have a basic asynchronous option? I'd be down for a super slow game

i think it'll even let you do a play by email type thing

but yeah something slow would be ideal

let me look into it and sully my eyes in the greyforums games ghetto

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
okey doke so here's the info

now we just need to recruit a few more people

TheDemon posted:

Things All Players and Especially New Players Should Know
:words: time

General
- To sign up to a game, sign up to the Goon Game Service here. Yes Steam profile link over Desura is fine. Once registered & verified, you can claim a nation of a game in signup phase (read the Message from host in case there are special rules). Also good to check the PGS thread for more info.
- To connect to the game, go to Network in Dom4, and connect to the ip address and port listed on the page. Please note the Goon Game Service is just a tracker site. It does NOT interact with the Dominions 4 server for you.
- To make a pretender for multiplayer: First, make sure the right mods are active. The easiest way is to connect to the server then disconnect. Then go to Game Tools -> Create a Pretender God. Once the pretender is finished, reconnect to the server and pick the nation. If you have only one pretender it'll upload automatically.
- Remember to give your god a password for multiplayer network games, or else some rear end in a top hat could log in and teleport all your mages into the ocean and rename all your commanders "Dongs".
- DO NOT PRESS START. All you'll do is delay the game and extract an idiot tax from the host who was stupid enough to keep this option enabled.
- If your menus are disappearing or you're having regular crashes generating turns, this is the game's copy protection in action. You may have entered your serial key incorrectly, in which case edit or delete the "key" file in the main directory. I'm sure you can imagine the other reason why you'd trigger the copy protection.
- To host a game, you'll need a computer that can be on 24/7 and a stable internet connection. Use a script or a specialized shortcut to run the game in text-only mode.
- Here is a server script by brainwrinkle, scripts make hosting easier by helping you do game settings and backing up turn files.
- To have someone else host a game for you, so long as you're willing to take care of the fussy people details (announcing the game, signing folks up, switching folks to AI, finding replacements, etc), one of forums members TenjouUtena or gp1628 will be willing to host the game for you. Drop a message for one of them by PM or on IRC. Guide by TenjouUtena. Check out gp1628's instructions here.

Multiplayer Etiquette
- A game of Dominions can last for 3+ months. When signing up for a new game, make sure you can commit for the whole run.
- Take it easy joining more than two or three games at once, and space out your signups by at least a week. Turns take 5 minutes to do at first, but towards endgame they can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. You don’t want to be in three games that are all in endgame at the same time.
- A silent neighbor is more threatening than a friendly one. Talk to your neighbors.
- Make all timer requests either to the host directly or in the PGS thread.
- If you have to drop out, please let the PGS thread or host know. You might find a substitute or the host might delay the game for you. AI control is permanent and fighting AIs is no fun for the other players.
- If you’ve been knocked down so hard that you cannot realistically get back up it is ok to set your nation to computer control. It's a learning experience to fight to the bitter end if you want to.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'm still down but that is an absolutely ridiculous amount of work for them to expect their players to do something that probably requires just passing some moves to a server and then the server resolving the turns

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i think a lot of it is to handle draft games or w/e

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhcPe4MLPi4

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I would be up for that but I don't want to host.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i can host but we'll need a few more people

the ai is really awful

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRTUReLBWHA

hyphy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i can host but we'll need a few more people

the ai is really awful

just give me the server details when you're ready, I'll keep an eye out

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
anyone who's interested in playin dominions 4 should prolly have a look at the latest LP thread since they explain the basics

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

this is neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fabricated posted:

Bloodborne was my 2015 goty but the one thing about its storytelling thats kinda annoying is that it doesn't really explain anything about the player character

like, you gotta read a lot of flavor text to get the whole picture in bloodborne but you can get a pretty accurate picture of the entire story/history of the world in general doing that- without having to guess at too much

but in exact opposite to the Souls series your character's motivation is like the only thing that's not really explicitly made clear and that's weird

Like Demons'/Dark Souls pretty explicitly explains your character's quest (in Demon's Souls you're literally just an adventurer looking to stop the fog- either for person glory/fame or because it's the right thing to do. The Undead in DS1/2 have pretty specific destinies), and kinda leaves aspects of the world for you to guess at.

If you look hard enough in Bloodborne you get a rough timeline for the whole debacle that happened in Yharnam (and before it), and largely explained backstories for almost all notable NPCs and figures. But what exactly IS Paleblood and why are you looking for it? i dunno :shrug:

my take (stolen largely from paleblood hunt) is this

the PC has a disease and comes to yharnam in search of a cure. the minister, working in conjunction with iosefka and gehrman, gives you a transfusion and turns you into a hunter of the dream. the note you find, "seek paleblood to transcend the hunt", is not directed to you but rather to gehrman. only hunters with paleblood can become hunters of the dream and stand a chance against the great ones. ultimately it turns out that the rest of the game is the moon presence manipulating you to hunt mergo, and the third ending is you resisting the will of the moon presence and killing it as well.

as for wtf paleblood is, no idea lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

grognards love the strategy of dominions but I'm really in it for the flavor text myself

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Last of Us: Left Behind, the second best video game about teen lesbians, is on sale for 4$ on psn

play it!!

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Life Is Strange better be number one

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Paleblood is probably just the state of the world caused by the mensis ritual. The notes that mention paleblood in yahar'gul and the lecture building both relate to the sky and blood moon caused by the ritual.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

my take (stolen largely from paleblood hunt) is this

the PC has a disease and comes to yharnam in search of a cure. the minister, working in conjunction with iosefka and gehrman, gives you a transfusion and turns you into a hunter of the dream. the note you find, "seek paleblood to transcend the hunt", is not directed to you but rather to gehrman. only hunters with paleblood can become hunters of the dream and stand a chance against the great ones. ultimately it turns out that the rest of the game is the moon presence manipulating you to hunt mergo, and the third ending is you resisting the will of the moon presence and killing it as well.

as for wtf paleblood is, no idea lol

it's the moon presence

quote:

Master Willem was right. Evolution without courage will be the ruin of our race.
1.Hunt the Great Ones, Hunt the Great Ones.
2.The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood.
3.Three third cords.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Awia posted:

it's the moon presence

That also makes sense since beating him is the only way to transcend the hunt.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Last of Us: Left Behind, the second best video game about teen lesbians, is on sale for 4$ on psn

play it!!

ps4 version?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I really like that you're just suckered into fighting the horrible monsters in Bloodborne

you talk to Gehrman and he goes, "I don't know, go gently caress poo poo up, that's what hunters do : )"

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Captain Foo posted:

why don't you like it? it's good.

Come play MechWarrior Online if you want a solid rear end kicking. A real punt to the nuts this game!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
had a P drat DEECE Dota game this morning. Owned some folks as the ol PANDAREN BREWMASTER!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

liquidfire posted:

Come play MechWarrior Online if you want a solid rear end kicking. A real punt to the nuts this game!

no play dominions with us

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

ps4 version?

yes

more like dICK posted:

Life Is Strange better be number one

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
doesn't left behind come free with the ps4 last of us

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Smythe posted:

had a P drat DEECE Dota game this morning. Owned some folks as the ol PANDAREN BREWMASTER!

whats your cpm bro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

whats your cpm bro

the hell is a cpm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser