Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

gohmak posted:

Any chance Obama goes for this?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

And then the case gets to the Supreme Court and Thomas has an aneurysm.

The SC will just tell them to work it out.

Congress can impeach the President if he won't do his job.
The people can vote out Congress if they won't do their job.

There is nothing for the court to decide.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah but we're talking about a hypothetical in which the President says a dog can play basketball for one of the most important balance of power issues in national government.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

corn in the bible posted:

Hillary wont win

Awesome username/post combo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Squizzle posted:

Yeah but we're talking about a hypothetical in which the President says a dog can play basketball for one of the most important balance of power issues in national government.

:shrug: It still doesn't go to the SC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Well that and theres no question what the phrase was meant to say. The history is kinda interesting, starts at page 110.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Well that and theres no question what the phrase was meant to say. The history is kinda interesting, starts at page 110.

This thread frequently makes me feel like an undergrad in a well-run seminar class again, and I want to thank all of the knowledgeable folks contributing to that. :glomp:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The TLDR for that journal article is that "advice and consent" was a compromise between the senate handling all appointments and the president appointing alone with or with a congressional veto possible. Madison actually proposed the "If the Senate doesn't vote, then its approved" part and that was voted down at the constitutional convention.

Also, could you imagine the clusterfuck of the senate handling all appointments?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

:yeah: I actually learned something new out of that-- it's always interesting when folks dig into the history and intentions behind these things. I did my note on the elections/Time Place and Manner clause (Article 1, Section 4, Clause 1) with an aim at providing justification for a national elections commission a la Elections Canada or the Australian Electoral Commission, and I went down a rabbit hole of those sort of articles for a while.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am reasonably certain that a Republican president would try it if the roles were reversed, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evilweasel posted:

Given that Trump is going to be the nominee (or he'll be robbed at the convention) it is highly likely that a President Hillary gets a Democratic senate (for two years, then loses it in 2018 because the map is brutal then).

Man, we would have been so much better off with senators having 4-year terms so we don't have the echo-boom effect of the presidency flipping the Senate every 2 years. You could just alternate so that there's a seat up every 2 years. One would be the "good seat" and one would be the "bad seat" that's much tougher to defend, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

No. If he does it before the election, it hurts his party.

After the election, if a Democrat becomes president elect, there isnt much point. If a Republican is elected, it will look like hes overstepping his power in the worst way (and he kind of would be, but not any worse than what the GOP leadership in the Senate is doing right now).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is that even necessary? Can't he do a recess appointment when the new Congress is gaveled in and tell the Senate to take as long as they want confirming Hillary/Bernie's replacement?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Is that even necessary? Can't he do a recess appointment when the new Congress is gaveled in and tell the Senate to take as long as they want confirming Hillary/Bernie's replacement?

It will be fairly difficult to block a nominee after preaching about "let the people decide" for a year. But it is an option, yes - but they'd only serve for a short time and then the replacement would need to be confirmed by a more hostile senate post-2018.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

evilweasel posted:

It will be fairly difficult to block a nominee after preaching about "let the people decide" for a year. But it is an option, yes - but they'd only serve for a short time and then the replacement would need to be confirmed by a more hostile senate post-2018.

how much more hostile could they possibly be than right at this very moment

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how much more hostile could they possibly be than right at this very moment

They could literally try to rush the podium with knives during the State of the Union address?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

It will be fairly difficult to block a nominee after preaching about "let the people decide" for a year.

We're talking about the party that begged Obama to delay the employer mandate and then sued him for not executing the letter of the law.

evilweasel posted:

But it is an option, yes - but they'd only serve for a short time and then the replacement would need to be confirmed by a more hostile senate post-2018.

Can the president not just keep doing recess appointments until the McConnell backs down and agrees to have a vote?

I don't think there will be a problem getting reasonable judges through if it actually comes to a vote: that's the whole point of bottling it up in committee right, McConnell knows there are at least a few Republicans who don't want to/can't risk blocking every judge who isn't a reincarnation of Roger Taney

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

He can't do a recess appointment until the new year and at that point, why bother.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Green Crayons posted:

Obama has already picked Sri Srinivasan, and is just waiting for Tuesday's primaries to be over to announce.

-really smart guy Green Crayons

Yup.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...campaign=buffer

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

gohmak posted:

I raised the possibility many pages back and serious d&d people informed me Obama would be insane to do it and I'm probably even insane to think it. They're at least half right.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think the biggest problem with doing it is that Obama would give up the moral high ground in doing so. The moment he tries, the Senate GOP can go "SEE! SEE! HE WAS A SECRET DICTATOR ALL ALONG!" and pretend their obstructionism is protecting The American People from Obama's Dictatorship.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There's too little to gain. Maybe if the case of the Outlaw All Parties Except the Republicans Forever Act of 2016 was about to be decided real soon and the Obama nominee's vote was desperately needed to keep it from being declared constitutional.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Obama will announce his SCOTUS pick at 11am EST

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Magres posted:

I think the biggest problem with doing it is that Obama would give up the moral high ground in doing so. The moment he tries, the Senate GOP can go "SEE! SEE! HE WAS A SECRET DICTATOR ALL ALONG!" and pretend their obstructionism is protecting The American People from Obama's Dictatorship.

As if they're not going to do that anyway

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
e: wrong thread, hope Sri is a good justice

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

From what I understand left leaning moderates rarely discover their deep seated love of movement conservatism after being appointed to lifetime appointments.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

vyelkin posted:

e: wrong thread, hope Sri is a good justice

He's not going to be one... Unless Hillary reappoints him and I guess that is possible.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mcmagic posted:

He's not going to be one... Unless Hillary reappoints him and I guess that is possible.
Well, while saying "gently caress consent of the Senate" and just telling Sri to show up for work on Monday probably isn't going to happen, I'd put the odds of a recess appointment at the end of this session at only 1:3 against.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kilroy posted:

Well, while saying "gently caress consent of the Senate" and just telling Sri to show up for work on Monday probably isn't going to happen, I'd put the odds of a recess appointment at the end of this session at only 1:3 against.

Doesn't the Senate never go on actual "recess" anymore, making this impossible?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mcmagic posted:

When one Congress is gaveled out and the next gaveled in, there is a mandatory recess.

The Pro Forma session ruling was a runny dog poo poo anyway

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

They technically have to to go into a minute long recess at the end of the year.

It can be a very long minute for the president.

This is per their rules, so Canning doesn't take effect.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/710102659789922304

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Garland makes it very obvious that Obama knows he won't be getting confirmed.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Odd choice, why pick someone who is 63?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

lamentable dustman posted:

If I had to guess, the WH knows he won't be confirmed, and anyone younger wanted to wait for the next go around so they don't get their name dragged through the mud for nothing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lamentable dustman posted:

Because he knows that he's not getting confirmed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magres posted:

But everyone who thinks this way is already a dyed-in-the-wool Republican.

Edit:

Mukaikubo posted:

If I had to guess, the WH knows he won't be confirmed, and anyone younger wanted to wait for the next go around so they don't get their name dragged through the mud for nothing.

Alternative answer, maybe he'll get confirmed as a compromise because at least he won't be around long.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 16, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uugh Garland was the wrong choice.

mcmagic posted:

Because he knows that he's not getting confirmed.

Still the wrong choice.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

evilweasel posted:

If we're using as our metric "The choice most likely to move the court left over the next few decades", there was no right choice if you decide the GOP is going full obstructionist.

Alternately, the hope is that someone who will only serve 15-ish years will have a ghost of a chance more to be voted on than someone who'll serve 30-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

evilweasel posted:

Still the wrong choice.

edit so I'm not empty quoting.

Garland isn't the guy you actually want to get on the court AND he isn't the guy to influence an election in the face of obstruction (probably).