Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
DS5 for my future family please.

Or a C4 Cactus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rumor is that Citroën will be phasing out the hydropneumatic suspension completely, due to low sales. It's an optional extra on the current C5, and apparently not a very popular one. That may be because company car buyers basically only look at purchase price, service costs and resale value, so they obviously all choice the conventional suspension. Why they didn't just go for the less expensive Peugeot 508 instead, I have no idea.

But Citroën are also saying modern suspension technology with progressive springs and active dampers can achieve the same comfort level as hydropneumatic suspension, at far lower development and production costs.

So I dunno. I doesn't feel right to have a big Citroën with conventional suspension.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd like to see the C1 over here so the awful, inferior Smart can die the ignominious death it loving well deserves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The new SMART is pretty good, though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty good as in built entirely from scratch from a clean sheet with no shared parts by an entirely new and different engineering team who's entire brief was to drive the original and told not to do that? Or pretty good for a Smart?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The former. It's an entirely new platform codeveloped with Renault and used for the Twingo with about 70% parts commonality. The collision safety cell carried over and it's built on the same manufacturing line as the previous ForTwo but that's about all. Both have been very favorably reviewed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

Pretty good as in built entirely from scratch from a clean sheet with no shared parts by an entirely new and different engineering team who's entire brief was to drive the original and told not to do that? Or pretty good for a Smart?

You can get it with a 5 speed manual transmission now. So now it's a rear engined rear wheel drive car with 3 pedals and a stick. That's the main difference.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

You can get it with a 5 speed manual transmission now. So now it's a rear engined rear wheel drive car with 3 pedals and a stick. That's the main difference.

You could get a stick in Europe before but it didn't pass crash safety here (clutch pedal + front wheel well intrusion), I think.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could get a stick in Europe before but it didn't pass crash safety here (clutch pedal + front wheel well intrusion), I think.

That's amazing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When will car2go get those ones instead of the old ones that make everyone say "I think it must be broken!" the first time they drive one?

No, that's just the lovely transmission!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

When will car2go get those ones instead of the old ones that make everyone say "I think it must be broken!" the first time they drive one?

Never.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

They also have a four-door B-series with a column shifter apparently so perplexing they include a laminated sheet explaining how to get it into drive and reverse.

It does apparently have a "manual mode," which is also called out in the directions. I assume it works about as well as any other Benz "manual mode."

Also you apparently have to go through the "Video" menu in order to pair a Bluetooth phone to play music from to the head unit.

quote:

Select “Video” then “Media” on the in-car media screen
Select “Bluetooth Audio” then “BT Audio”
Select “Bluetooth Audio Device List” then select the device of your choosing
You may be asked to do the following:

Search for Smart Radio Bluetooth on your device
Enter PIN displayed on the vehicle’s touchscreen into your phone to connect
Decline the vehicle’s request to sync your device to the car
To play your music:

Select “Radio” -> “Bluetooth” on the in-car media screen
Press “Play” on your device
Pump your jam

You'd think Merc (who owns Car2Go) could ship a version of the stereo firmware that doesn't try to import the contacts of everyone who drives it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 15, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's a standard MB shifter now. It's reasonably simple once you use it even a single time.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Just Say No to column shifters.

In right-hand-drive countries, is the column shifter handle on the left side?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Console shifters on automatic transmissions are stupid and take up way too much space.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a primate posted:

Just Say No to column shifters.

In right-hand-drive countries, is the column shifter handle on the left side?

It's not a column shifter in the traditional sense, it's more like a little stalk that works like a turn signal or a cruise control stalk (on cars that use that system).

It's really quite decent, easy to use, and unobtrusive.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Console shifters on automatic transmissions are stupid and take up way too much space.

I like having one for manual mode in my automatic, but paddles would definitely save space if/when they're no longer thought of as a luxury option. Volvo's little shifter is ok, but I can't get behind the push button transmissions in some trucks, I just don't like it even if it makes sense.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PT6A posted:

It's not a column shifter in the traditional sense, it's more like a little stalk that works like a turn signal or a cruise control stalk (on cars that use that system).

It's really quite decent, easy to use, and unobtrusive.

much better than toyota's retarded vestigial shifter on the CT200H and whatever else it's on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

much better than toyota's retarded vestigial shifter on the CT200H and whatever else it's on.

Looks like the same mode selector for the hybrid drive that's been on the Prius for over a decade now. What's the problem with it other than not liking hybrids?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Automatic transmission selectors might as well be a little ping-pong-ball-sized knob up on the dashboard for all the functionality they have. You only touch the thing half a dozen times on a given trip, and only when you're stopped. Just get it out of the way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Looks like the same mode selector for the hybrid drive that's been on the Prius for over a decade now. What's the problem with it other than not liking hybrids?

They've actually made them bigger and stuck them in the console now where they waste a bunch of space for no reason, in keeping with the overall post-2g tradition of every Prius being worse designed than the previous one

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Look at all of you bitching about column shifters. I bet none of you drive a forklift with any regularity. Toyota puts their drive selector on the left stalk. You drive one enough eventually you'll start signaling right to make your car go forward and then feel like a moron.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
The real question is when can i change gear via an app on my phone??

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Killstick posted:

The real question is when can i change gear via an app on my phone??

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GM posted:

The 2017 Camaro ZL1 is poised to challenge the most advanced sports coupes in the world in any measure - with unprecedented levels of technology, refinement, track capability and straight-line acceleration.

"The Camaro ZL1 is designed to excel at everything," said Mark Reuss, executive vice president of Global Product Development. "It's a 2+2 coupe offering incredible performance - acceleration, handling and braking - with the highest levels of technology and perfect chassis damping, making it suitable for everyday driving. It will compare well to any sports coupe, at any price and in any setting."

Acceleration for the ZL1 is delivered with a new supercharged 6.2L V-8 engine estimated at 640 hp (477 kW), and either a six-speed manual transmission with active rev matching or an all-new 10-speed automatic. Handling capability starts with the lightweight, stiffer structure of the all-new sixth-Gen Camaro, married with Magnetic Ride suspension and an electronic limited-slip differential. Standard technologies include Driver Mode Selector, dual-mode exhaust and advanced connectivity features.

Functionality defines the Camaro ZL1's form, with the exterior shaped during more than 100 hours of wind-tunnel testing and on-track validation to improve aerodynamics and cooling for track use. Accordingly, its exterior elements all play a part in managing airflow over, under and through the ZL1.

"The design supports the Camaro ZL1's exceptional performance and does so with compelling style," said John Mack, Camaro exterior design manager. "From every angle, the elements coalesce to give the car a purposeful, super aggressive attitude."

The lower grille opening, for example, offers greater airflow compared to the Camaro SS, and the upper grille incorporates a new version of the "flow-tie" open bowtie insignia. There's also a new hood, with a carbon fiber insert and heat extractor that pulls hot air from the engine compartment. Additional changes include a larger front splitter, unique rockers, a wing-style rear spoiler and wider front fenders - all tuned to improve aerodynamics for greater high-speed stability.

Inside, there are standard Recaro front seats, along with a sueded flat-bottom steering wheel and shift knob. Chevrolet's Performance Data Recorder is available.

A cohesive suite of performance technologies tailors ZL1's performance for street and track. Features include an updated Magnetic Ride suspension, Performance Traction Management, electronic limited-slip differential, Custom Launch Control and Driver Mode Selector. It also has a stronger power-to-weight ratio than its predecessor, weighing 200 pounds less, while offering approximately 60 more horsepower and 80 more pound-feet of torque.

The result is a one-of-a-kind driving experience.

"Driving the Camaro ZL1 is best described as 'fast with finesse,'" said Reuss. "It is beautifully balanced, with perfect damping and isolation for optimal performance and driver confidence in virtually any situation - from the Pacific Coast Highway to Willow Springs to Pomona."

Additional chassis features include:

Unique 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro to offer exceptional grip on the track
Brembo brakes with six-piston monobloc front calipers - featuring the ZL1 logo - and massive, 15.35-inch (390 mm) two-piece front rotors.
Underhood, the ZL1 features a supercharged LT4 6.2L V-8 Small Block engine, with intake and exhaust systems tailored for Camaro. It is rated at an estimated 640 horsepower (477 kW) and 640 lb-ft of torque (868 Nm).

The LT4 is backed by a standard six-speed manual transmission or all-new, available paddle-shift 10-speed automatic. The 10-speed automatic has 7.39 overall ratio for smaller steps between gears. It enables the LT4 engine to remain at optimal rpm levels during acceleration, particularly when exiting corners, for quicker laps and lightning-quick responses on both up- and down-shifts.

This is the first Chevrolet application of the new quick-shift 10-speed, with unique calibrations and hardware developed exclusively for the ZL1. By the end of 2018, GM will introduce the new 10-speed automatic in eight vehicle models.

Finally - and unlike some competitors - there's no need to purchase an optional package to make the ZL1 track ready. Track capability comes standard, with features including an impressive 11 heat exchangers for optimal powertrain cooling.

:circlefap: :captainpop: :circlefap:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can we assume they figured out the heatsoak issues from the Z06?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The standard SS does 0-60 in under 4; the gently caress is it going to do with 200 more hp. :stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

but remember kids fast cars are going the way of the dodo because of **millenials**

when I was born sport models had 200hp, now they have 200 additional horsepower.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ten speed automatic.

why

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Ten speed automatic.

why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLDSlYvprTM

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That is one ugly rear end car.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Man that car is weird looking

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

The standard SS does 0-60 in under 4; the gently caress is it going to do with 200 more hp. :stare:

Probably spin the tires.

I think it looks great and I want one, we'll see if they price it anything like the last gen.

GM has been crushing it the last few years, I'm having a hard time thinking of another automaker who has so many vastly new superior models from 2013 to 2016/2017. The new Corvette, Camaro, pickups and SUVs are all hugely improved over the last gen models.

Mercedes is pretty comparable with the all new designs for the C, E, and S class cars but GM is maybe a more dramatic example because of how hilariously bad the interiors were

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Dislike button posted:

GM has been crushing it the last few years, I'm having a hard time thinking of another automaker who has so many vastly new superior models from 2013 to 2016/2017. The new Corvette, Camaro, pickups and SUVs are all hugely improved over the last gen models.

I think it more shows how lovely older GMs were, to be honest.

I think Chrysler is pretty close. The Dart showed up in 2013 and replaced the loving CALIBER and the 200 replaced the goddamn SEBRING.

They made the interiors on their bigger cars (300, Charger) not look like poo poo.

The new RAM is eons ahead of the old one.

Maybe it's because the Caliber/Sebring were SO BAD and old Chrysler interiors was such a dismal place to be, though.

I have a difficult time with GM. I want to like them, but I've seen way too many 'THIS IS THE NEW GM' vehicles to trust them. I remember when the Cobalt debuted and yeah, the Cavalier was dead and it was supposed to show us GM could make a good car, and it was a loving piece of poo poo that killed people.

They're like the kid that does a poo poo ton of hard drugs but is always 'trying' to get clean so you want to give them a chance, but they've let you down so much over the years that you can't help but be wary.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 16, 2016

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I invited GM to my house party because he's been really cool lately and then realized the next day my PlayStation was missing

CornHolio posted:

They're like the kid that does a poo poo ton of hard drugs but is always 'trying' to get clean so you want to give them a chance, but they've let you down so much over the years that you can't help but be wary.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Enourmo posted:

when I was born sport models had 200hp, now they have 200 additional horsepower.

I learned to drive on an '88 5.0 Mustang, so it's almost like they just added an extra 5.0 to a car that was already two 5.0's, making it the equivalent of a 15.0.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I don't care if it's combustion, hybrid, or electric, but that shifter just felt crummy to me. Either a column shift or a normal sized console shifter for me, I really didn't like needing to use two fingers to use it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bacon Grill

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

So the ball is now in Ford's court for the next GT500. Ecoboost Coyote? Ford GT engine swap? Ecoboost Voodoo? Gotta top 640 HP, and while we're at it might as well one up Dodge and the Hellcat. Go for broke, go 750+ with a 10 speed auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
GM should just sell powertrain kits to put them in literally anything because that is the only part of a vehicle they make that isnt garbage