Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to plug, and also ask for feedback regarding two games that I've tried to recruit for that have so far gotten no bites.

Obviously if it's just a case of people not having the time/schedule for it, or being entirely uninterested in the system (its 3.5e, I understand), that's fine, but now I'm wondering if the "this isn't going to be a campaign", or the class restrictions, or the "I don't want to create a level 4 character just for a oneshot" is getting to be a turn-off.

I'd like to offer pregens to people, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do that.

I was actually interested in both, but wednesdays at 8 pm is unworkable for me. The ship one especially seemed interesting, I'm a sucker for a mystery.

Honestly I think one-shots are far preferable to campaigns as far as playing with people over the internet.

I would say one issue is not having a good idea of what the desired power levels are, even within EPH there's quite a variety of optimization.

Anyway the TLDR is, I'd play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to plug, and also ask for feedback regarding two games that I've tried to recruit for that have so far gotten no bites.

Obviously if it's just a case of people not having the time/schedule for it, or being entirely uninterested in the system (its 3.5e, I understand), that's fine, but now I'm wondering if the "this isn't going to be a campaign", or the class restrictions, or the "I don't want to create a level 4 character just for a oneshot" is getting to be a turn-off.

I'd like to offer pregens to people, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do that.

3.5 is not super popular anymore (unfortunately), some people aren't as interested in one shot campaigns, it's a roll20 game rather than a PbP so some people may not like that or not have the time.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I was interested in both of those games but my schedule fluctuates a lot, and Wednesdays at 8 is pretty much always bad for me. Its why I prefer PbP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the input. I put in that I can do Monday nights too, but I work odd hours on the other side of the world so I can't adjust much farther than that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know this thread is more a 3.5e thread than a general d20 thread, but does anyone know if Crafty Games ever plans on releasing SpellBound, the supplement for Fantasycraft that they've had in the works for quite some time?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Covok posted:

I know this thread is more a 3.5e thread than a general d20 thread, but does anyone know if Crafty Games ever plans on releasing SpellBound, the supplement for Fantasycraft that they've had in the works for quite some time?

Check back in ten years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a character builder app/site, if one exists? Pathguy's is very comprehensive, but you can't add extra feats/misc. bonuses for houseruled stuff.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a character builder app/site, if one exists? Pathguy's is very comprehensive, but you can't add extra feats/misc. bonuses for houseruled stuff.

Hero Lab is fairly solid if you're willing to pay for stuff. Built in it only has OGL for 3.5, but fan-released datasets cover a ton of 3.0 and 3.5 books (Tome of Magic and Tome of Battle are both in there, for example), and you can stick a lot of arbitrary stat/trait adjustments on characters.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 13, 2016

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Forced a bad guy we did a job for to release a slave girl as part of our payment for the job (Bard/Paladin of Freedom's demand), but now we have a slave girl who has no idea how to live on her own, she's following the party on jobs now.

The DM didn't really expect this and isn't sure how he wants to handle her mechanically. He basically left it up to suggestions and asked us to come up with ideas before the next session.

I haven't really looked into the DMG (where I assume this kinda thing would have rules):

Does she basically just start accruing EXP with the rest of the party and gaining PC class levels?
Should the DM grant one of us the leadership feat and have her be a cohort?

In the mean time, after confirming her literacy I offhandedly suggested in character that my Archivist (and professional Scribe) could use an apprentice while copying notes, and studying texts, carvings, glyphs etc. so at the end of the last session, now I'm giving her 1sp/day and paying her lodging expenses.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 13, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you're already paying her for a specific task just treat her as a hireling with all that entails, unless you really really want to take her into dungeons for some reason.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Options
1) The DM gives her levels in Expert and treats her as a Trained Hireling (3 SP/day minimum). She doesn't get XP.
2) you take Leadership as your next feat (or if the DM is okay with it, you get it free) and she gets PC levels
3) you find a job for her with some contacts in the city - as an Archivist, probably a church or bookstore
4) forget Leadership, keep her away from anywhere that stats would actually matter, and just have it be a part of the story that you're now teaching someone something. No need to have mechanics to back it up.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

Piell posted:

3.5 is not super popular anymore (unfortunately), some people aren't as interested in one shot campaigns, it's a roll20 game rather than a PbP so some people may not like that or not have the time.

I've ran PbP game for 2 years and I honestly prefer roll20. Combat tends to just be a slog since the structure simply does not translate well into PbP. Most DMs that realized this try to get their players to post several turns worth of actions in advance but even that is just a band aid and kinda distances the players from their characters. I'm not sure what kind of system would be good for PbP but it is most certainly not 3.5.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dominicius posted:

I've ran PbP game for 2 years and I honestly prefer roll20. Combat tends to just be a slog since the structure simply does not translate well into PbP. Most DMs that realized this try to get their players to post several turns worth of actions in advance but even that is just a band aid and kinda distances the players from their characters. I'm not sure what kind of system would be good for PbP but it is most certainly not 3.5.

This, and PbP GMs have a terrible track record of not honoring their commitments. After playing in at least five PbPs that burned out in less than a month thanks to the GM being a flake, I'm pretty burned out on them. I just don't have time for any more live/chat games atm.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nihilarian posted:

4) forget Leadership, keep her away from anywhere that stats would actually matter, and just have it be a part of the story that you're now teaching someone something. No need to have mechanics to back it up.
This is what I would suggest. She's a minor plot point, she doesn't really need stats unless you're having her fight or use skills. If pressed I would just have her give the +2 assist bonus to your knowledge skills since you're having her as an apprentice and call it a day.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fool_of_sound posted:

This, and PbP GMs have a terrible track record of not honoring their commitments. After playing in at least five PbPs that burned out in less than a month thanks to the GM being a flake, I'm pretty burned out on them. I just don't have time for any more live/chat games atm.
To be fair, most GMs you'll find on Roll20 will flake out in the span of a month as well.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

The Crotch posted:

To be fair, most GMs you'll find on Roll20 will flake out in the span of a month as well.

Figure I got lucky then since I managed to find a stable group on my second try. We are now several months in and gained several levels, which is a much better record than pretty much any PbP game that I got to play in (and I've been part of a lot).

That being said, the community on roll20 is not great. I decided I'd try advertising my game on SA to get better players but sadly nobody seems interested.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Fractional BAB and saves vs how the PHB says to do it is supposed to benefit multiclass characters, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Mandingo posted:

Fractional BAB and saves vs how the PHB says to do it is supposed to benefit multiclass characters, right?

I still have difficulty parsing it myself, but yes, it's supposed to be better than doing it how the PHB does it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mandingo posted:

It's always a benefit to your BAB. It benefits you for your bad saves definitely, it can be a benefit to your good saves unless you're stacking a bunch of classes with the same good save (but it's still better in the long run because who cares if you have +20 Fort base when you have +0 Will at lv20).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
For example, barbarian 2/half-orc paragon 3/fighter 1 would have 8/1/1 with PHB rules and 5/2/2 with fractional rules. Not sure if that's good or bad though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Because it's going to come up soon, can someone dumb down poisons and CON damage for me?

For poisons, if the monster statblock says:

quote:

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 13, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.

That means that when the poison is first applied, such as through a Bite attack, the target makes a DC 13 Fort save.
If they fail, they take 1d6 STR damage.

1 minute/10 rounds later, they need to make a second DC 13 Fort save.
If they fail, they take 2d6 STR damage.
This second effect/saving throw will still happen even if the target passed the first Fort save.

Is that right?

Now, as for CON damage, how does it work? How about with regards to partially damaged creatures?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because it's going to come up soon, can someone dumb down poisons and CON damage for me?

For poisons, if the monster statblock says:

That means that when the poison is first applied, such as through a Bite attack, the target makes a DC 13 Fort save.
If they fail, they take 1d6 STR damage.

1 minute/10 rounds later, they need to make a second DC 13 Fort save.
If they fail, they take 2d6 STR damage.
This second effect/saving throw will still happen even if the target passed the first Fort save.

Is that right?

Now, as for CON damage, how does it work? How about with regards to partially damaged creatures?

That is correct. For Constitution damage, you reduce maximum and current constitution to whatever it would be with their now lowered Constitution (ie if it has 10 HD and goes from 16 or 17 con to 12, your current and maximum HP would go down by twenty since it does from +3 bonus to +1.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Every 2 con reduces current and max hp by their HD and drops their Fort save (along with anything else con-based, e.g. a dragon's breath weapon DC) by 1.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Regarding the save DC, that is correct.

Unless the creature has advanced HD and/or elite array, then you'll have to recalculate it via 1/2HD+CON mod.

Though this mostly applies if you have a viper familiar or similar.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doktor Per posted:

Regarding the save DC, that is correct.

Unless the creature has advanced HD and/or elite array, then you'll have to recalculate it via 1/2HD+CON mod.

Though this mostly applies if you have a viper familiar or similar.
If they have a different array or more HD or whatever, that will have already been recalculated from the get-go. Stat changes are stat changes and cause the same refiguring on impact no matter where they spring from.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Some of us do it on notepaper and customize monsters. Many monsters go through size changes as they advance and not all of them have updated stats, because it would be redundant with the rules for sizing up creatures.

In the Monster Manual the formula for poison saves is never explained beyond being "constitution based." It must be intuited.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Actually, it is wonderfully explicit.

The SRD, "Special Attacks and Special Qualities" posted:

Many creatures have unusual abilities. A monster entry breaks these abilities into special attacks and special qualities. The latter category includes defenses, vulnerabilities, and other special abilities that are not modes of attack. A special ability is either extraordinary (Ex), spell-like (Sp), or supernatural (Su). Additional information (when needed) is provided in the creature’s descriptive text.

When a special ability allows a saving throw, the kind of save and the save DC is noted in the descriptive text. Most saving throws against special abilities have DCs calculated as follows:

10 + ½ the attacker’s racial Hit Dice + the relevant ability modifier.

The save DC is given in the creature’s description along with the ability on which the DC is based.
These are the rules for all save DCs and a stat change affects them regardless of where the stat change comes from. In fact, all stat changes affect their derived stats regardless of whether they go up or down and regardless of their origin. A +4 con will give you +2hp/HD, +2 Fort save, and +2 DC to any special attack/quality that says "The save DC is Constitution-based". Similarly, a -4 con will do the reverse regardless if it comes from a poison attack or a template or casting a corrupt spell.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I stand wonderfully corrected for my foolishness.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have a very fringe question that I'm not entirely certain of: Let's say you empower a fire spell (+50% damage dealt) and your target has Vulnerability to fire (+50% damage taken). Do you add the 50s together for +100%, or do you multiply the damage by 1.5x and then multiply it again? Going on the text of the feat and for vulnerability I'm inclined to believe that it gets multiplied by 1.5 twice (since empower says "increase random variables by one-half" and vulnerability says "takes +50% more damage"), but I'd rather double check before it comes up in game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You'd add them together, as you're applying two multipliers to the same abstract value. Multipliers work normally on concrete values like movement speed and the like, and you can also pull shenanigans by placing multipliers on a number and on an important sub-component, but otherwise they'd just sum together.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Ordinarily true, but Fire Vulnerability is a modifier to the damage that a person takes, and Empower is a modifier to the damage that somebody is dealing.

Example: a wizard throws an Empowered Fireball. He rolls for 20, making it a 30 damage fireball. That's the status of the fireball. It deals 30 damage. Reflex for half.

If that 30 damage fireball happens to hit a Frostblood Orc (who has Fire Vulnerability), he takes 50% more damage over the 30 base. 45 damage for him.

Being that there is an information barrier, neither the Wizard nor the Orc can be expected to know that the other has a quality which is relevant to the final damage, unless they make a Knowledge or Spellcraft check. They are not obliged to work together to back-track through the damage algorithm to retroactively insert variables for their unique intersection.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Random houserules I'd like to get opinions on. Would you or have you played with these?

* Static initiative. 10+DEX and other modifiers. Whoever has the highest goes first. I feel like it'd give Improved Initiative and high-DEX builds a guaranteed niche, and it cuts down on the pre-fight overhead.
* Armor as Damage Reduction
* Maximum Ranks Limited Choices to cut down on skill management, with some handwaving for PrC requirements
* More feats. How many do you think the game could stand before I'm probably creating more problems for myself? One per level?

Imperial Troubleshooters, don't fret - this is all just idle musing of mine

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Eikre posted:

Ordinarily true, but Fire Vulnerability is a modifier to the damage that a person takes, and Empower is a modifier to the damage that somebody is dealing.

Example: a wizard throws an Empowered Fireball. He rolls for 20, making it a 30 damage fireball. That's the status of the fireball. It deals 30 damage. Reflex for half.

If that 30 damage fireball happens to hit a Frostblood Orc (who has Fire Vulnerability), he takes 50% more damage over the 30 base. 45 damage for him.

Being that there is an information barrier, neither the Wizard nor the Orc can be expected to know that the other has a quality which is relevant to the final damage, unless they make a Knowledge or Spellcraft check. They are not obliged to work together to back-track through the damage algorithm to retroactively insert variables for their unique intersection.
Ask CustServ, surely they'll give a reasonable answer! :downs:

But seriously, I'd just tell the player ahead of time about the interaction if it's at all obvious. Plus a net 2x multiplier is easier to compute than a net 2.25x multiplier. 3.x doesn't have the most airtight of rules, after all.

^^About the houserules...

-Doing that for initiative makes Improved Initiative even better (and it's already good), so I'd personally be wary of such a measure. (Though the folks who've played it more recently could likely weigh in as well.)
-The significant problem with that is that the tradeoff stops being worth it once damage rolls start taking off at medium levels. Though I'm not sure how to tweak it to make the tradeoff more viable for melee types.
-It's no-nonsense and unobtrusive; by all means run with it.
-This won't change things too much compared to what class selections already do, though one per level may be a bit much for the sake of options and bookkeeping.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I've played in a game with armor as damage reduction. It was only low levels, but it was certainly fun. It makes elemental damage that much more powerful, as it always punches through. A feat like fire devotion which gives you fire damage, is a killer during the lower levels. I would recommend consider ditching arcane spell failure, because this makes wizards extra squishy.

I haven't played with Max Ranks, Limited Choices, but in my experience what limitations I could think of, are fixed with feats giving you extra skills. Especially with a rapid feat dispensation.

In the circles I play in, feat every odd level is the rule. Going every level might break something, but this might be mitigated by having even leveled feats be more of the bottom of the barrel stuff, extra skills, exotic weapon proficiencies. You know, what is normally considered a waste of a feat.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

Random houserules I'd like to get opinions on. Would you or have you played with these?

* Static initiative. 10+DEX and other modifiers. Whoever has the highest goes first. I feel like it'd give Improved Initiative and high-DEX builds a guaranteed niche, and it cuts down on the pre-fight overhead.
* Maximum Ranks Limited Choices to cut down on skill management, with some handwaving for PrC requirements
* More feats. How many do you think the game could stand before I'm probably creating more problems for myself? One per level?

1) Fine.
2) Don't do this it is terrible
3) Fine as long as you account for it when picking PrCs.
4) Fast feats is pretty common (feats at 1st, and then every even level). One per level is probably a bit much.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Feats at every level make Fighters worse as a class choice but seems great for everything else.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
You don't play fighter. It's an NPC class.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I'd play it, but you've seen how I roll init. If I see anything above a 5 I'm surprised.
2. I've played it, it's good for lower levels but as mentioned it makes AC even less valuable as time goes on. Shaving an extra 3 off 50+ damage isn't what I would invest a pile of money into.
3. Seems like if a player wants to do this they already can?
4. GIVE ME ALL THE FEATS. I am ridiculously biased. I don't think I would do one every level, but I am of the opinion that I can never have enough feats.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could maybe see this being not awful if armor was damage reduction in addition to being the hit / miss modifier and it only applied to PCs (maybe boss-level NPCs) and it also somehow contributed to decreasing hostile spell DCs as well. the main issue is that if armor is only damage reduction and it applies to monsters too, then it makes classes that rely on dealing HP damage as their main method of conflict resolution even more obsolete even more quickly, because something like sleep is way more effective against a goblin that now has damage resistance. you could flavor it something like shadowrun where spells still require that you can target a creature's soul essence, and the more armor they're wearing, the harder it is to target their essence, even if they're standing right in front of you. in that case, leather armor give you 3 points of damage resistance and also lowers spell DCs by 3, or whatever random values you want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

homeless poster posted:

I could maybe see this being not awful if armor was damage reduction in addition to being the hit / miss modifier and it only applied to PCs (maybe boss-level NPCs) and it also somehow contributed to decreasing hostile spell DCs as well. the main issue is that if armor is only damage reduction and it applies to monsters too, then it makes classes that rely on dealing HP damage as their main method of conflict resolution even more obsolete even more quickly, because something like sleep is way more effective against a goblin that now has damage resistance. you could flavor it something like shadowrun where spells still require that you can target a creature's soul essence, and the more armor they're wearing, the harder it is to target their essence, even if they're standing right in front of you. in that case, leather armor give you 3 points of damage resistance and also lowers spell DCs by 3, or whatever random values you want to use.
Well armor as it stands doesn't affect spell DCs or spells that need an attack roll (since all but like two aim at touch AC) so suddenly making armor help resist spells would be weird, or at least a very different house rule than the one suggested. Also, the small amount of DR gained isn't really enough to stymie a mid-to-high level character; knocking 4 off an attack that is doing ~10 is substantial, knocking 4 off 50+ isn't so great. DR is however one of the reasons why attacking a bunch of times in a round (looking at you, flurry of blows) is so much weaker than hitting one time as hard as you can.

• Locked thread