Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BlueKingBar posted:

This isn't aimed at you in particular, but it's probably worth noting that sometimes abuse can be non-violent too. Like, it's one thing to discipline your children, but it's another to blackmail them, lash out and throw rage fits, be intentionally extremely inconsistent with punishment ("extreme" as in "no that's perfectly fine" the first time into loving screaming at them the second time around), gaslight them (treat them like poo poo and then pretend it never happened). That might not sound that bad but keep in mind this is the same kind of poo poo that abusive spouses/partners do, replacing a really unassertive adult with a literal child. And it gets worse if you have ADHD because your short term memory is so poor that you're even easier to gaslight.

It's also bad when punishment becomes centered around insubordination instead of ethics or morality. Kids may not have the strongest reasoning skills so "because I said so" is sometimes necessary, but there's a difference between that and something like this:

I always hate that poo poo when I see people using it.

"What did you just do?"

The options are to confess and get in trouble, or lie and get in trouble.

"Why did you do that?"

If you give a reason, you are in trouble (because there is no acceptable reason), or you say you don't know and get in trouble.

And if you don't answer? You get in trouble.

Its so much more effective to reinforce positive behaviors than to violently punish unwanted behaviors, including for kids with disabilities. Half the time the violent negative reaction not only doesn't punish the problem behavior, but MAKES IT WORSE. But that takes patience and self-control, and typically if a parent has that, they aren't belting their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think this has probably been the same all through history though. We're gonna try not to make the mistakes our parents made thus making our own, then our kids will try not to make the same ones we did while making their own, etc, etc, etc. Every generation has their own demons/bad parenting to overcome and that's not gonna change with ours or the next or the next. Hell, 50 years in the future we'll probably be back to beating kids with sticks because studies of the day show its more effective than Concentron™ or whatever the drug will be at the time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yes, he talks exactly like that in real life too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yes, he talks exactly like that in real life too.

So he's not a native speaker?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

BlueKingBar posted:

^^^ Funny you say that because my extended family were always saying things like "[BKB's mom], your kids are so well-behaved! How do you do it so well?". Of course I didn't really know their behavior was abusive until much, much later in life, but how was I supposed to know until I grew up, got medicated for my issues, and emotionally distanced myself so I could unlearn my awful social habits I picked up from my mother? It's like a beaten dog, you just give up and lie down when you've barked and whimpered your lungs out and nobody comes to help. Not only that, but you get beat harder for it, and you just kind of think that's normal discipline when people tell you to stop barking.

Also worth noting: I know we've had a Awful Link of the Day to r/raisedbynarcissists for a while, but a big thing to note is that what looks like petty complaints to an outsider may actually be a child trying to report serious problems, but they're not coming across as serious because abusive people are really good at framing things to make it look like the victim's fault, especially in parent-child relationship since a child is not only emotionally powerless but powerless from a social standpoint as well. That is, people will believe the parent over the child 90% of the time if there's no physical evidence of abuse like bruises or injury. An analogous concept is newspeak from 1984, where Big Brother modified the English dictionary to make people unable to think about concepts like "freedom" or "independence" or at least put them in a negative light.

I remember always being bothered by movies as a kid where some kid would find aliens or something in his backyard, and then bring his parents or friends to go see them, but then they'd conveniently disappear every single time. I can't even watch Anger Management because it bothers me that much, with Adam Sandler's character seemingly being the only sane man in the universe. I never knew why I hated that so much until a few months ago.

I remember hearing a interview with one of the creators of Sesame Street. Their was controversy among the writers regarding Mr. Snuffleupagus. Mr. Snuffleupagus was meant to be Big Bird's imaginary friend. None of the other characters could see him, and they often teased Big Bird, and said he didn't exist. Many writers on Sesame Street felt that this was a fine plot line, because lots of kids have imaginary friends. Other writers felt that this might be disturbing to some children, especially children who had suffered abuse, because Big Bird is telling the truth and the adults do not believe him. Eventually, after a series of high profile pedophilia cases, the writers decided to bring Mr. Snuffleupagus on a full character, who was visible and believed by everyone.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

So he's not a native speaker?

Oh no he most definitely is.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fathis Munk posted:

Because it's romantic. And that's for girls.

Real men don't need no stupid romance, only steaks and blow jobs.

Beep boop give me food and sex female.

This, but unironically.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

robotsinmyhead posted:

You can, in fact, reason with children to a degree and inform them that their behavior is out of bounds without getting physical or redirect their energy in another way - not always, but drat the idea of laying into a child with a loving belt makes me pretty angry.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Gonna post this on my fb page and watch all my relatives explode into spluttering rage and bible quotes. It will be a dire mix of :supaburn: and :bahgawd:. Half of them are hardcore advocates of physical and psychological abuse "parenting" and the other half are the hosed up products of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was spanked as a child, and I vowed to never ever spank my children. I got really involved in psychology during college and I have used as much positive reinforcement on my kids as I possibly could. I also have ADHD and luckily was treated for it growing up.

Two honor roll students, one is a valedictorian. One of them also has ADHD and I was able at get her on meds and to a psychologist quickly. :smug:

FlapYoJacks has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Mar 15, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
The more I grow up the more I realize the majority of adults are really dumb. I thought I was supposed to get older and sympathize with my elders? My parents are absolute idiots, for one example. Never gonna have that "OMG my parents were right about this" moment in my life.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol an honest to goodness "my kid is an honor roll student" post. Straight from the bumper to your computer screen!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kontradaz posted:

The more I grow up the more I realize the majority of adults are really dumb. I thought I was supposed to get older and sympathize with my elders? My parents are absolute idiots, for one example. Never gonna have that "OMG my parents were right about this" moment in my life.

If you never said or did something stupid as a teen you were a boring loving teenager.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I absolutely love that but I'm not brave enough to start a poo poo show on my feed at this point in time. I got enough of that with our last 2 elections and getting into a fight about whether dropping cigarette butts on the ground counts as littering :catbert:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I’ve always hated children – but for many years, I actually thought I was the only person who ever felt that way. I never realized that the word misopedia existed to describe this very feeling; now I am simply content to portray myself as a committed misopedist, since I never could stand to be around kids. I don’t just find children a nuisance, I despise them. I don’t just find children an annoyance, I detest them. I don’t just find kids an inconvenience, I loathe them. I don’t want to be touched by their slimy fingers; I don’t want to hear their screeching; I don’t even want to see their misshapen limbs.

A prudent man shrinks from the possibility of fatherhood the way his penis shrivels at the sight of a pregnant woman’s belly.

I hate children for destroying a woman’s looks. Take a beautiful woman and make her pregnant - the next time you see her, you won’t recognize the lady behind the stretch marks and blubber. Take a nice set of breasts, and have the wench start lactating, and all that will remain of her boobs are sag and stretch marks. After a dame’s nipple has been sucked by some kid, you won’t be in any hurry to put the tit in your mouth.

I hate children for reducing a parent’s intelligence. Once a woman and has excreted a child, the only thing she will now be blathering about is her brat’s diarrhea; instead of being able to hold her own in a discussion of politics and religion, the new mother will be blithering about how many diapers she goes through in a day. After a well-spoken woman has spent a month caring for an infant, the mother’s IQ will drop at least a dozen points.

I hate children for ruining lives. An individual could have made his life into a wild and wonderful creation; instead, do-gooders now will tell the gentleman that needs to put his children first. A father just discards some biological residue in a woman’s orifice - yet, after being forced to give up half his income, he will come to regret that discharge every day for the next couple decades. Babies are a sexually transmitted disease that will take 18 years to cure. No, children are not innocent, not in the least; children annihilate the very independence of a parent. Surely raising another yet urchin is not the most important thing - but accepting the role of a parent is the most idiotic way that an adult could waste his remaining years.

I hate children for being dependent. Always needing something, always wanting something more. An infant looks at a parent not with love or hate, but with pure emptiness – the same emotional vacancy that the mother wants to fill by having a kid in the first place. A baby is like a sinkhole: a screeching, shrieking pit that can never be filled – or never shut-up no matter how much a parent might sacrifice.

I hate children for wasting resources. Over the next two decades, raising a child will cost you the equivalent of purchasing a new house. But becoming a parent will waste money that you could have spent on something important – like yourself. Far better to invest in a box of condoms and buy enough insurance in order to spend the next two decades indulging yourself. For God’s sake, a can of baby formula costs just about as much as a bottle of gin.

I hate children for dumbing down life. Mass culture wants everything in life to be family friendly, so any ideas of daring and depth are cast aside to make things accessible to everyone. The ruling elite actively discourage any discussion of the truly sinister nature of existence because, well, that might frighten the “little ones.” Instead, the establishment media continually subjects all consumers to programming that is insipidly inspirational because “children might be watching.”

I hate children for giving an excuse for government repression. Whenever some legislator comes up with some new law designed to take away your remaining freedoms, those new restrictions are always decreed “to protect the children.” Whenever government wants to tell you what to do, those regulations are always enacted to “safeguard kids.” Well, I would rather keep the liberty and not bother with the kids. If a nuclear family truly requites totalitarian legislation to protect its existence, then you are much better-off childfree.

I hate children for being such repulsive creatures. Smeary with snot and squishy with poo poo, leaking piss and dripping saliva, babies smell like a cross between dirty laundry and rancid meat. A man who does not hate children has never heard a brat scream for a solid hour.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just to abandon the infant in a cart in the middle of the nearest Wal-mart. Trust me, no one will ever notice.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you never said or did something stupid as a teen you were a boring loving teenager.

I'm talking about poo poo like "don't trust black people or asians, they will stab you in your back" or "don't loving go out during college, it's dangerous"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I have a question for all the people who post post posted in the Idiots on Social Media thread with their views on spanking:

What do you think about circumcision?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I hate children for being dependent. Always needing something, always wanting something more. An infant looks at a parent not with love or hate, but with pure emptiness – the same emotional vacancy that the mother wants to fill by having a kid in the first place. A baby is like a sinkhole: a screeching, shrieking pit that can never be filled – or never shut-up no matter how much a parent might sacrifice.

I hate children for wasting resources. Over the next two decades, raising a child will cost you the equivalent of purchasing a new house. But becoming a parent will waste money that you could have spent on something important – like yourself. Far better to invest in a box of condoms and buy enough insurance in order to spend the next two decades indulging yourself. For God’s sake, a can of baby formula costs just about as much as a bottle of gin.

loving baby welfare queens! Stop being dependent on me! :rant:

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Chomp8645 posted:

lol an honest to goodness "my kid is an honor roll student" post. Straight from the bumper to your computer screen!

"Honer"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Weatherman posted:

I have a question for all the people who post post posted in the Idiots on Social Media thread with their views on spanking:

The same way I feel about tipping and whether a hot dog is a sandwich.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Without physically abusing them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Weatherman posted:

I don't know but the correct way is to wipe front to back

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Kit Walker posted:

I don't know but the correct way is to wipe front to back

But do you fold or scrunch??? This is important.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

...I mean, of course there are a whole lot of different achievements that a person can achieve over the course of one's life and grades aren't everything, but isn't it understandable for a parent to be proud of their kid being an honor roll student?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

paradoxGentleman posted:

...I mean, of course there are a whole lot of different achievements that a person can achieve over the course of one's life and grades aren't everything, but isn't it understandable for a parent to be proud of their kid being an honor roll student?

I was an honour roll student, and now I post on The Something Awful Forums. Makes u think

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah it's fine but it's just really lol and cliche whenever it's invoked as evidence of how great a kid turned out or how ~enlightened~ the parenting was.

No kid who was spanked ever made the honor I can tell you that!!!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Weatherman posted:

Absolutely do NOT spank your child during his circumcision.

Also,

zakharov posted:

The same way I feel about tipping and whether a hot dog is a sandwich.

I really hope the 'tip' and 'hot dog' references were intentional puns.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Weatherman posted:

I think that having strong opinions on circumcision is a very good indicator of mental illness.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

I think that having strong opinions on circumcision is a very good indicator of mental illness.

Yeah if there is no health reason to do it, it's mutilation. Pure and simple.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
the gently caress is an honor roll

is it the last roll of toilet paper

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

mng posted:

the gently caress is an honor roll

is it the last roll of toilet paper

Its the one thing nerds have in highschool to feel good about themselves.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Weatherman posted:

Circumcision straight up ruined the Silent Hill franchise

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anyone who puts "Anarchist" in their online bio is awful.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

People who say "March 14th" write it that way numerically and I cannot loving deal with it.

-some cranky lady on Twitter

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Kontradaz posted:

Go on...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kontradaz posted:

Gotta say, my dick looks cool without the foreskin. Foreskin is like the 90s undercut of penises.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cosima posted:

Go on...

Actually, don't.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

This was on a public page, but I'll hide his name cause he's not being super ugly or lovely about this. I just think it's funny that this guy launched into this little rant off of somebody's remark about Chris Christie and Ben Carson "selling their souls" in endorsing Trump.

The typo at the end gets me pretty good too. Jesus is coming to save us from the mining industry. About 20 years too late to keep my uncle from getting cancer, Jesus, but I appreciate the thought.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kontradaz posted:

A coworker and myself said we should start the "Working Americans lives matter" movement. In our opinion if you don't work and have never worked then your life really doesn't matter. If all you and your family have ever been is be a drain on the government and your city then you don't matter. All you are is a hand stuck out and a mouth open. Bitching for rights and money you have never helped earn. I'm not talking about house wives or American citizens that are legitimately in need of help. But those who choose not to work, and have kids they don't care about who just turn out to be more drains on the system, your lives don't matter. Most Americans are sick of those thinking that they are entitled to a free check just because their ancestors were forced to work. One working generation doesn't mean you get a free ride for the rest of your species existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, my dick looks cool without the foreskin. Foreskin is like the 90s undercut of penises.

I love the undercut trend (sup 1920's men's fashion), but do not agree with foreskin-less penises.

What do I do, Father?