Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

has anyone talked about how cool tempel are because tempel are pretty cool. guess it would be described as progressive instrumental death metal if you care about that sort of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emp1Ocl5VCo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Apparently that Kunsthauch label whose bandcamp I linked for the Darchon space black metal thing is sketchy and has released a weird CD-R bootleg of Sorcier des Glaces sophomore album, so ... patronize at your own discretion, I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/sorcierdesglaces/posts/10156609033375375

SdG posted:

We are so shocked about this! Another thief! Don't support this completely unauthorized re-release. We decided to work only with Galy Records for all our official re-releases albums coming this year on CD. That guy was really mad when we told him our decision. He decided to make a bootleg of that album. Please don't support this and don't support that label, Kunsthauch!

On the other hand, news coming Friday about official SdG reissues. :toot:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Moonsorrow released their cover ( that's on the new album ) of Rotting Christ's "Non Serviam"

:frogsiren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdy3Mlljsy8 :frogsiren:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Von Sloneker posted:

Apparently that Kunsthauch label whose bandcamp I linked for the Darchon space black metal thing is sketchy and has released a weird CD-R bootleg of Sorcier des Glaces sophomore album, so ... patronize at your own discretion, I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/sorcierdesglaces/posts/10156609033375375

Who the gently caress makes bootleg CD-Rs in the year of our dark lord 2016?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

russians :ussr:

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TollTheHounds posted:

Moonsorrow released their cover ( that's on the new album ) of Rotting Christ's "Non Serviam"

:frogsiren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdy3Mlljsy8 :frogsiren:

Not familiar with the original track but this owns

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nordick posted:

This is kinda like GloryHammer, if GloryHammer weren't actually funny and didn't have actual good songs.

You know, this is a pretty good description of GloryHammer.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

Not familiar with the original track but this owns

You probably should be because the original is much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVv5WCzLCg

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i know we have a doom thread somewhere around here but can we talk about how good the new church of misery is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXSalwVqKU

they got the guy from repulsion on vocals now

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Nordick posted:

It just dawned on me that many of my favourite albums from my teenage years are now as old or older than my dad's Deep Purple and Uriah Heep vinyls were when I was a kid.

I feel loving old.

Same.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nordick posted:

It just dawned on me that many of my favourite albums from my teenage years are now as old or older than my dad's Deep Purple and Uriah Heep vinyls were when I was a kid.

I feel loving old.
I will loathe reaching this point in my life.

It already happened to my dad. I was going through his old Rob Zombie and Metallica albums when I was just getting into metal in the late 00s and commented "wow, this stuff's pretty old". He just looked so depressed when I said that, it hurt.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm listening to the new Nokturnal Mortum / Graveland split and the intro track has some cool gunshot samples

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

symbolic posted:

I will loathe reaching this point in my life.

Passed it already. The favourite albums of my early metalhead years are older now than the first Beatles album was then.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ghost Reveries is like 10 years old :( I remember when that poo poo came out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
loving Hellfire Club is 12 years old now and I still feel like it's a "newer" album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTeGQ4ow_tQ

EDIT: In a few weeks, Imaginations from the Other Side will be old enough to buy booze in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_zVyuAEDk

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 16, 2016

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

A human heart posted:

I'm listening to the new Nokturnal Mortum / Graveland split and the intro track has some cool gunshot samples

I'm also listening to this, and the difference in quality between the bands is hilarious. Nokturnal Mortum have come extremely far since the 90's, while Rob Darken is still churning out the same riffs as he did back then, just adding a bit of extra instrumentation this time. The NM side made a great first impression though.

edit: The second Graveland track is somewhat better, but it's still more of the same stuff he's been doing for years.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 16, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
STOP MAKING ME FEEL OLD DAMMIT

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If anyone wants to buy me a vodka cranberry (bladder infection) at the Abbath show on Friday, I'll be the one using a wizard staff (walking cane) with a Absu shirt and Opeth wristband. I usually park in one of the handicap accessible spots close to the door. *cough * cough *cough

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
If you like good music you'll like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCiLXZuYOOA

AOTY imho

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Speaking of Abbath, he released a new video for Winterbane off the new album!

Good song, pretty good video! Lots of Abbath stares, and at least it's not just a boring "filmed in a warehouse" snoozefest.

edit - now with video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-oC5zCwn8

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 16, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
You want old? Scream for me, Long Beach? I was at that show, screaming for him.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

You want old? Scream for me, Long Beach? I was at that show, screaming for him.
gently caress me, now this thread is making me feel too young. I was only born a week or so after Megadeth released Cryptic Writings and I feel like I missed out on a lot of bands in their heyday.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Nordick posted:

This is kinda like GloryHammer, if GloryHammer weren't actually funny and didn't have actual good songs.
Real shame though, I do appreciate the idea behind what they're doing, it's just that their execution completely fails for me.

That's funny because I discovered tower of fire because the head jew of gloryhammer said they are comedy power metal done right (which is not correct because the only good comedy metal band is nanowar of steel)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

symbolic posted:

gently caress me, now this thread is making me feel too young. I was only born a week or so after Megadeth released Cryptic Writings and I feel like I missed out on a lot of bands in their heyday.

Well poo poo I was born over a decade before you and *I* still feel like *I* missed out on a lot of bands in their heyday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a good thing music doesn't expire then. Just because it's old hat to everyone else doesn't mean new listeners will get less enjoyment.

The biggest issue is finding time to listen to all the stuff worth hearing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

symbolic posted:

My wife saw Megadeth on that tour.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

xzzy posted:

Real talk, I feel bad that I'm nowhere near as connected to any individual band, album, or song as I was in my high school years. I don't know the lyrics to anything. I don't even know the track lists of most of the albums I listen to nowadays. I have over a thousand albums from when I was actually buying things regularly, and now that I don't have the money because of adult responsibilities, I have at least 3,000 more in Spotify playlists. Musicking responsibly is really hard.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Real talk, I feel bad that I'm nowhere near as connected to any individual band, album, or song as I was in my high school years. I don't know the lyrics to anything. I don't even know the track lists of most of the albums I listen to nowadays. I have over a thousand albums from when I was actually buying things regularly, and now that I don't have the money because of adult responsibilities, I have at least 3,000 more in Spotify playlists. Musicking responsibly is really hard.

This is basically my exact situation. I try to listen to something new every day, which is a great experience, but I lose that familiarity

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I listen to modern metal, the lyrics are unintelligible anyways. And even if you could understand them they'd be pretty drat stupid.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

xzzy posted:

The flip/down side is that I don't have much patience anymore. If I don't like something right away, I tend to dump it and move on -- there's just too much good stuff out there. It means I'm probably missing out on a lot of good stuff because of this impatience.

This is related to the ease with which anyone can access an enormous selection of music these days. Prior to digitization, you were limited to what you physically had on hand or what was on terrestrial radio. Because of these limitations, I tended to give each of my albums way more listening time and had more of a connection with it.

Nowadays the music is so ephemeral that it almost seems disposable. Sometimes I'll listen to an album once and then never again -- and from bands I like! It's weird.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 16, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The flip/down side is that I don't have much patience anymore. If I don't like something right away, I tend to dump it and move on -- there's just too much good stuff out there. It means I'm probably missing out on a lot of good stuff because of this impatience.

My problem is that I like the stuff I like too much, and if I have a choice between listening to something I haven't heard before and something I know and enjoy, I'll typically choose the latter.

I'm working on that though.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Vulture Culture posted:

^^^

I have so much loving music on my computer that I haven't even gotten to try yet, I just download stuff that people recommend and get to it months later. I'm also incredibly OCD with my collection and must tag every mp3 to perfection

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i know we have a doom thread somewhere around here but can we talk about how good the new church of misery is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXSalwVqKU

they got the guy from repulsion on vocals now

Yes it rules a lot

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Boris and Merzbow collaboration is silly

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nowadays the music is so ephemeral that it almost seems disposable. Sometimes I'll listen to an album once and then never again -- and from bands I like! It's weird.

That's the problem with saturation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CornHolio posted:

My problem is that I like the stuff I like too much, and if I have a choice between listening to something I haven't heard before and something I know and enjoy, I'll typically choose the latter.

I'm working on that though.

That's just getting older and more set in your ways.

e: also the problem with stuff these days is there's so much of it that sounds exactly like 20 other bands that aren't all that great it's getting harder to find the really interesting stuff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the best thing to do is check out trends that are now out of style and just see who's left

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just wait for it to get linked in a forum thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm also listening to this, and the difference in quality between the bands is hilarious. Nokturnal Mortum have come extremely far since the 90's, while Rob Darken is still churning out the same riffs as he did back then, just adding a bit of extra instrumentation this time. The NM side made a great first impression though.

edit: The second Graveland track is somewhat better, but it's still more of the same stuff he's been doing for years.

It does sound a bit different, but that's because Graveland is a full band now, you're right that the material is very much the same as what he's been doing for the last decade or so. NM side is ok, not amazing or anything though, I hope their album will be a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

muike posted:

the best thing to do is check out trends that are now out of style and just see who's left

Or check out a trend that's in style now but go back and find the bands that all the current trendy bands are ripping off.