Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been playing some Assassin's Creed (II). First time I've come in contact with the series and it's fun so far, but Jesus, games age quickly and badly these days. It looks so grey and lifeless and in combat I kept expecting there to be counter prompts. Guess at 5 bucks I might as well see what the fuss is about though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Assassin's Creed was always grey and lifeless.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been playing some Assassin's Creed (II). First time I've come in contact with the series and it's fun so far, but Jesus, games age quickly and badly these days. It looks so grey and lifeless and in combat I kept expecting there to be counter prompts. Guess at 5 bucks I might as well see what the fuss is about though.

Counter prompts don't get introduced until 3, and 3 is a bad game. Unless it's at a point that the game is forcing you to fight and kill everybody, the best bet for combat is to kill just enough guys that you can escape. It doesn't get any better. The game outside of the combat is still pretty great, though.

In Training posted:

Assassin's Creed was always grey and lifeless.

Black Flag was pretty colorful, I guess, but yeah, that's mostly true.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Counter prompts don't get introduced until 3, and 3 is a bad game. Unless it's at a point that the game is forcing you to fight and kill everybody, the best bet for combat is to kill just enough guys that you can escape. It doesn't get any better. The game outside of the combat is still pretty great, though.

Black Flag was pretty colorful, I guess, but yeah, that's mostly true.

In 3 or 2? Because I'm still on 2 and I just counter EVERYONE until they are dead and then walk off. If I have to spend money to repair armor or refill health because of you you are gonna get stabbed. That's just how Ezio rolls. If I get frustrated with combat (which happens occasionally once they introduced the armored guards with the axes and spears) I like to take their weapon and kill them with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

juliuspringle posted:

In 3 or 2? Because I'm still on 2 and I just counter EVERYONE until they are dead and then walk off. If I have to spend money to repair armor or refill health because of you you are gonna get stabbed. That's just how Ezio rolls. If I get frustrated with combat (which happens occasionally once they introduced the armored guards with the axes and spears) I like to take their weapon and kill them with it.

2. I hate the combat in basically every AC game but Black Flag, and even that isn't that great. It's seriously just easier to kill the fasties and get the hell out rather than bullshit my way through by countering literally everybody. That turns things into a boring slog for me. YMMV, I suppose, but combat shouldn't be too big a problem in AC games because you can get away from it pretty easily in most situations.

That was actually one of my biggest problems with 3. They didn't really fix the combat at all, and spawned enough bizarrely prescient guards every so many feet that cutting and running was never an option in the cities.

e: I should also say that 2 is a vast improvement over 1 in basically every way, so even if you do have to stick out the combat, it's not as bad as it had been.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

barren_sky posted:

I didn't realize it had live sports too! Hopefully Sony can crack the Canadian market soon so I can dump my local cable company once and for all.

I'm sure Rogers, Bell and the CRTC will find all sorts of ways to block this from ever coming to Canada. Or if it does, it will have an entry price of $80

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Does the "weekly deals" button on the web store just break the page for anyone else right now? Happening on multiple browsers/devices too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SpacePig posted:

2. I hate the combat in basically every AC game but Black Flag, and even that isn't that great. It's seriously just easier to kill the fasties and get the hell out rather than bullshit my way through by countering literally everybody. That turns things into a boring slog for me. YMMV, I suppose, but combat shouldn't be too big a problem in AC games because you can get away from it pretty easily in most situations.
:confused:

I honestly thought that's how you were supposed to do it, aren't you supposed to be a sneaky backstabbing surprise killer and not Errol Flynn or some poo poo?

triplexpac posted:

I'm sure Rogers, Bell and the CRTC will find all sorts of ways to block this from ever coming to Canada. Or if it does, it will have an entry price of $80
It can be pretty effectively mitigated with a restrictive enough bandwidth cap. If you watch enough hours of it to be a threat to the cable company you'll probably rack up quite a bit of data. If not then you're not a big enough customer for them to care anyway.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Does the "weekly deals" button on the web store just break the page for anyone else right now? Happening on multiple browsers/devices too.

Yeah, I think it's just a question of time. It apparently works on the mobile store.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CrashCat posted:

:confused:

I honestly thought that's how you were supposed to do it, aren't you supposed to be a sneaky backstabbing surprise killer and not Errol Flynn or some poo poo?

Yeah, but a surprising amount of people don't play it that way. It was sort of an emergent gameplay thing where the easiest, if not necessarily most entertaining, way to win a fight was to stand there and counter every attack. It was almost completely unbeatable, and it's still a fairly good strategy in the more current games. Putting counter indicators above enemies and improving combat mechanics came from this, pretty much.

On a more Store-related note, I had intended to buy another year of PS+, but last time I needed to order it, I didn't have enough spare money to get more than 3 months. I just saw the other day that it renewed for another 3 months without telling me, so whatever, but if I buy a year now, will it stack to that 3 months, or do I have to wait for this to expire before I try to switch it back to a year?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SpacePig posted:

On a more Store-related note, I had intended to buy another year of PS+, but last time I needed to order it, I didn't have enough spare money to get more than 3 months. I just saw the other day that it renewed for another 3 months without telling me, so whatever, but if I buy a year now, will it stack to that 3 months, or do I have to wait for this to expire before I try to switch it back to a year?

It adds to your current remaining time so you might as well get it now. You can even stack multiple years.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Free static Rachet and Clank theme up at least for NA:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/ratchet-clank-promo-theme/cid=UP9000-CUSA01047_00-RATCHETPS4THEME0

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is this ratchet and clank going to be good or just something they shat out to launch with the movie

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I own a copy of Last of Us on PS3 but I see that the PS4 remaster is $20. Is that substantially better?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It looks okay, but the first stage is literally just the first game's first stage, so I really don't know what they could be doing with it. It seems like a pretty normal rear end R&C game though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

is this ratchet and clank going to be good or just something they shat out to launch with the movie

its a total remake of the first game so it should be fun but its only 40 dollars i think so if it sucks it could have been worse for you i guess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CVagts posted:

I own a copy of Last of Us on PS3 but I see that the PS4 remaster is $20. Is that substantially better?

60 fps and photo mode with all dlc

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Baal posted:

It looks okay, but the first stage is literally just the first game's first stage, so I really don't know what they could be doing with it. It seems like a pretty normal rear end R&C game though.

It's a remake of the first game, sooooo...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CVagts posted:

It's way prettier, runs way better, includes the excellent DLC, and has an excellent photo mode. Personally, I say yes, but I also LOVED The Last of Us.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GOOCHY posted:

It's a remake of the first game, sooooo...

Wait it is? I just thought it was a new game for the movie.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

univbee posted:

Yeah, I think it's just a question of time. It apparently works on the mobile store.

Crap, now that it works, I already own everything I want. :saddowns:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Baal posted:

Wait it is? I just thought it was a new game for the movie.

The movie is an adaptation of the first game too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Gigante posted:

The movie is an adaptation of the first game too

The game! Based on the movie! Based on the game!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game! Based on the movie! Based on the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUB3peOQcDU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

CVagts posted:

The gameplay and story are obviously identical, but if you're going to play it again, I'd suggest getting the PS4 version for its improvements and then gifting your old copy to a friend with a PS3. That's what I usually do whenever there's a new remaster of one of my PS3 games that I really like.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

MisterAlex posted:

The gameplay and story are obviously identical, but if you're going to play it again, I'd suggest getting the PS4 version for its improvements and then gifting your old copy to a friend with a PS3. That's what I usually do whenever there's a new remaster of one of my PS3 games that I really like.

I actually haven't gotten around to playing Last of Us yet. Probably should have mentioned that before. So whichever version I decide to play, it would be my first playthrough.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so clearly you arent really super interested in playing it or you would have already. you probably dont need to spend an extra 20 bucks to maybe not play this version

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CVagts posted:

I actually haven't gotten around to playing Last of Us yet. Probably should have mentioned that before. So whichever version I decide to play, it would be my first playthrough.

I would say go ahead and play the copy you have. It would be pretty lovely if you bought it again and didn't like it!

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

CVagts posted:

Yikes. I don't know what's kept you from playing it, but I'm hoping that you just don't know what you've been missing and not that you gave it a shot and didn't like it. <=)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Psvr will be out in October for $399us.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

Psvr will be out in October for $399us.
Awesome, that's a savings of $200 versus the Rift! :suicide:

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

And $630 including tax in Canada. Ouch.MSRP is CAN$550.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Awesome, that's a savings of $200 versus the Rift! :suicide:

I personally don't feel $400 is too much to ask for a VR headset. Especially if it's good. Hell, a lot of audio only headsets are over $300.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ps4 camera will be required and separate although i imagine retailers will be eager to bundle them together since they likely have 2 year old stacks of cameras in warehouses that nobody bought.
brings the price to $459+ps4 and tv on paper, still not bad but you can get second hand or sale cameras cheaper than the msrp easily due to its irrelevance. or at least you could 5 mins ago before they announced that you need one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wasnt the camera sold out for awhile during the ps4 launch when smoking weed on playroom streams was a thing?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

wasnt the camera sold out for awhile during the ps4 launch when smoking weed on playroom streams was a thing?

i hope so.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TLoU Remaster on PS4 runs so much better. If you're going to bother playing it spend $20.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

Yeah they sold a fuckload of those things amazingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Can't you get TLoU digitally for really cheap via eBay? It's been the go-to PS4 bundle for a long time now, so I imagine there's always a good influx of people selling unwanted codes.

Edit: never mind, people are selling those for $20+.

• Locked thread