Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I just light my face on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I shave with a lethally sharp shard of obsidian. I knap a new blade every week

Clearly fake.

Obsidian edges last much longer than that.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I shave with aggravated bears and well timed ducking

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have cultivated an enormous beard. My plan is to wrap it around myself to act as a shield during the tornado.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You'll emerge from the razorblade tornado completely unhurt but with the cleanest shave ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have an Enrique to shave you

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I just light my face on fire.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I bet Superman's bathroom smells worse than rear end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cumslut1895 posted:

I shave with aggravated bears and well timed ducking

I just stick my face into a running lawnmower, propped up.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Darchangel posted:

I just stick my face into a running lawnmower, propped up.

Real men use push reel mowers

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Real men use push reel mowers

:golfclap:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of sinks :black101:

Everything was held up with two drywall bolts in the back which just ripped right out. Shocked it held this long in a commercial environment

Hey, there's two spots where it was glued! :V

I am preparing to do a mild remodel on our kitchen. I'm removing the (concrete block, abandoned for five years) chimney in the corner to gain some counter space. Triggered by our fading kitchen countertop. Found out today during prep that there is not a single fastner holding it down; it's caulked in place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

Clearly fake.

Obsidian edges last much longer than that.

Maybe on your beard

this is some "could God make a boulder so big even he couldn't lift it" poo poo

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

I am preparing to do a mild remodel on our kitchen. I'm removing the (concrete block, abandoned for five years) chimney in the corner to gain some counter space. Triggered by our fading kitchen countertop. Found out today during prep that there is not a single fastner holding it down; it's caulked in place.

Is it caulk, or adhesive?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kid sinister posted:

I bet Superman's bathroom smells worse than rear end.

nah man his super-farts create a vortex that vent the entire apartment out

alternately kryptonian hair is pure carbon nanotube and burns without scent

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm removing the (concrete block, abandoned for five years) chimney

So...how heavy is that concrete block. I heard these things are quite useful and

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Is it caulk, or adhesive?

It's caulk.

To be fair, the cabinets are 60-YO stick-built. Trying to build gussets into the cabinet tops to provide screw facings prior to installing the new counter might be more trouble than it's worth. So, I may just do the same, except use dots of adhesive silicone here & there.

Hollow Talk posted:

So...how heavy is that concrete block. I heard these things are quite useful and

I now have a great place to secure one's motorcycle, in a pile next to my garage.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

It's caulk.

To be fair, the cabinets are 60-YO stick-built. Trying to build gussets into the cabinet tops to provide screw facings prior to installing the new counter might be more trouble than it's worth. So, I may just do the same, except use dots of adhesive silicone here & there.

I was thinking French Cleat, but that's probably too much work than you want if you want make the cleat sturdy on the cabinet side, yet still have it be flush to the wall.

EDIT: Maybe place the cleats here. That should keep it flush while spreading the load across the entire cleat. Just anchor the wall cleat in studs.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 17, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In the house I inherited from my great grandmother, I discovered a ~4'x6' void between the fireplace and outside wall where the original contractor just didn't build any house. If so inclined, I can climb the stairs into the attic, drop a rope ladder down there, and emerge outside from the crawlspace. What should I do with my uninsulated panic room/housefire turbocharger?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

In the house I inherited from my great grandmother, I discovered a ~4'x6' void between the fireplace and outside wall where the original contractor just didn't build any house. If so inclined, I can climb the stairs into the attic, drop a rope ladder down there, and emerge outside from the crawlspace. What should I do with my uninsulated panic room/housefire turbocharger?
It's where you store your guns, illegal drugs, and sex toys. After removing or claiming those left by the previous owner, of course.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I use an Alexandrite laser every three months whether I need it or not. Strapping the shark down to shoot straight is surprisingly easy if you feed it a harbor seal first.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

shame on an IGA posted:

Convert it into a priest hole and use it to hide intellectuals when Trump comes to power.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alereon posted:

It's where you store your guns, illegal drugs, and sex toys. After removing or claiming those left by the previous owner, of course.

Xlorp posted:

I use an Alexandrite laser every three months whether I need it or not. Strapping the shark down to shoot straight is surprisingly easy if you feed it a harbor seal first.

spog posted:

Convert it into a priest hole and use it to hide intellectuals when Trump comes to power.

all amazing answers :patriot:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

This just begs to have the fireplace be a counterbalanced concealed door. Not sure how you'd work the chimney, though.
Hmm. Maybe a bookcase door to/on one side of the fireplace?

Good place for a gun/valuables safe.

e: bondage dungeon.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Cut a hole in the roof, enjoy your outdoor shower safe from prying eyes.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
seems like a good place to store your used razor blades

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Long Francesco posted:

seems like a good place to store your used razor blades

and motorcycle security accessories.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darchangel posted:

This just begs to have the fireplace be a counterbalanced concealed door. Not sure how you'd work the chimney, though.

Go whole hog with the remodel. Fireplaces are silly anyway.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Good place for a gun/valuables safe.

e: bondage dungeon.

That's what I would do, secret room.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

only build a secret room if you're happy to die trapped inside it when you're incapacitated in there and no-one can work out it exists

what I'm saying is, do it up like a tomb

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Perhaps you should make it a nice wine room? Maybe a few barrels of Amontillado wine?

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 18, 2016

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

ExplodingSims posted:

Perhaps you should make it a nice wine room? Maybe a few barrels of Amontillado wine?

Nothing says wine storage like the back of a fireplace.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Nothing says wine storage like the back of a fireplace.

Oh, just slap up some aerogel insulation and it'll be fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Amontillado is a kind of sherry, a fortified wine. And like all fortified wines, it comes in casks.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

How heavy would you say these casks are? Can you bolt a chain to them?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're pretty valuable casks, so I would lock them up tight. And since they're fortified and highly sought after, a removable brick wall to hide them is advised.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A traditional cask could be anywhere from 50 to over 500 liters. Assuming even the smallest 50-liter cask, and assuming sherry's density is close enough to that of water to make no nevermind, a full cask would weigh 50kg plus the weight of the cask. There might be some air in there, the alcohol weighs slightly less than water, but the wood adds weight, so maybe 120 pounds is a decent weight.

A full 500-liter cask would weigh in excess of 1100 pounds.

The "puncheon" is a traditional 320 liter cask which, if full, strikes me as more than sufficient weight to anchor your motorcycle to, to prevent theft.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you saying an average cask is around 400 pounds?

E: motherfucker :argh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: 400 Pounds Of Concrete, And 4000 Posts About It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Use it to hail satan