Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

Thermal paste only matters if you're doing heavy overclocking, you're getting a non-overclocking CPU, so the stock stuff is good enough.

cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
:siren: I am attempting to rewrite the OP :siren: (so that someone else can start the new thread. i don't need that much responsibility in my life)

However, I am nowhere near the parts guru that several more experienced users are. I am pretty sure I've got a handle on everything except

• Motherboards
  • Cases
  • CPU coolers
  • Where AMD GPUs slot in against their Nvidia counterparts

In all of those cases, there are just too many choices for me to process easily. The current OP lists four or five motherboards (in both non- and overclocking categories), five different categories of GPUs (including both AMD and Nvidia). 5-9 case options in each of four sizes, an exhaustive list of PSUs (I think Factory Factory may have just listed every single PSU available on PC Part Picker), and many different CPU cooling systems.

I would appreciate pointers from the experts in the thread about what changes should/could be made to the parts list in the third post, especially in those four areas. Actually, it'd be helpful if people would critique the entire OP. But that could probably wait until I put my rewrite into a Google doc.

Additional outstanding comments/questions:
1. The link to AdwCleaner is dead. Do people have a replacement suggestion?
2. The link to Secunia PSI now redirects to a different website, which suggests that Secunia and their programs were bought out. It seems like a shame that the "most important piece of software on this list" no longer has a functioning link. Thoughts?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 15, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Grundulum posted:

:siren: I am attempting to rewrite the OP :siren: (so that someone else can start the new thread. i don't need that much responsibility in my life)

However, I am nowhere near the parts guru that several more experienced users are. I am pretty sure I've got a handle on everything except

• Motherboards
  • Cases
  • CPU coolers
  • Where AMD GPUs slot in against their Nvidia counterparts

In all of those cases, there are just too many choices for me to process easily. The current OP lists four or five motherboards (in both non- and overclocking categories), five different categories of GPUs (including both AMD and Nvidia). 5-9 case options in each of four sizes, an exhaustive list of PSUs (I think Factory Factory may have just listed every single PSU available on PC Part Picker), and many different CPU cooling systems.

I would appreciate pointers from the experts in the thread about what changes should/could be made to the parts list in the third post, especially in those four areas. Actually, it'd be helpful if people would critique the entire OP. But that could probably wait until I put my rewrite into a Google doc.

Additional outstanding comments/questions:
1. The link to AdwCleaner is dead. Do people have a replacement suggestion?
2. The link to Secunia PSI now redirects to a different website, which suggests that Secunia and their programs were bought out. It seems like a shame that the "most important piece of software on this list" no longer has a functioning link. Thoughts?

For the graphics card comparison, Tom's Hardware puts out a graphics card hierarchy just about every month. It's easily digestible, but doesn't include things like power usage, which can be important to understand. Unfortunately, in most case, you can get a comparable ATI card for cheaper than the Nvidia equivalent, but then if you require a larger power supply or more fans, it doesn't really end up cheaper and then you're just using more power and producing more heat.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The fan in my PSU have somehow gotten even more noisy so I've been looking to buy a new PSU.

What are some good, ~*quiet*~ PSUs?
I'd like two answers, one big bang for the buck, and one for if I were stupid with money.

We're talking normal form factor, around 700w.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wooper posted:

The fan in my PSU have somehow gotten even more noisy so I've been looking to buy a new PSU.

I'd like two answers, one big bang for the buck, and one for if I were stupid with money.

Do you really need 700W though? Efficiency has improved dramatically in the last 5 years and manufacturers aren't lying as much about their wattage. Even with a top of the like 8 core processor and top of the line video card, you still probably wouldn't need 700W.

As far as quiet goes, most of the good ones poo poo their fan off when the load is low.

What are you powering? What are your future upgrades?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wooper posted:

There is an incredible deal going right now on the EVGA Supernova P2 650W, I would snap one up ASAP. The fan on this one basically does not spin at all until it hits nearly its maximum capacity and does not need to spin much to cool it off, it also comes with a 10 year warranty, it's an incredible PSU and normally you would have to pay like $110+ for it.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Sadly, there are no such deal available over here :sweden: The 650W version is not even in stores at all.

I want to hear recommendations so I can shop around for my own deal.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
Recently my laptop crapped out on me forcing me to dust off my older computer and so far it's held up pretty well but is definitely dragging in comparison to my dead laptop. I'd like to try and milk a bit more life out of it if at all possible and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it would be a waste of time or not, and if they had any particular parts to recommend.

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1156
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card: SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 5850 DirectX 11 100282TXSR 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

The RAM is what immediately jumps out to me and I think might be contributing to more graphically intensive games "hanging" for a few seconds (I bought Subnautica on Steam today and the game even warned me about 4 gigs not being enough :( ). I have a hard time judging how much performance upgrading X part would give vs. just saving up for a more major upgrade so would appreciate any advice!

Edit: Forgot to add that the PSU is a CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD that I don't think is sold anymore, the URL from my old newegg order redirects to a newer model.

Goblin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wooper posted:

Sadly, there are no such deal available over here :sweden: The 650W version is not even in stores at all.

In that case the EVGA Supernova GS and G2 line are all fairly quiet until they hit high capacity with the GS line being especially quiet. Seasonic also makes fairly quiet PSUs, one standout being the Snow Silent line, but those are very expensive. Corsair's high end ones are also pretty quiet. One thing to note is that Gold and Platinum rated PSUs will be quieter in general, they dissipate less heat because of their higher efficiency and can therefore use a less aggressive fan profile.

Goblin posted:

Recently my laptop crapped out on me forcing me to dust off my older computer and so far it's held up pretty well but is definitely dragging in comparison to my dead laptop. I'd like to try and milk a bit more life out of it if at all possible and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it would be a waste of time or not, and if they had any particular parts to recommend.

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1156
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card: SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 5850 DirectX 11 100282TXSR 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

The RAM is what immediately jumps out to me and I think might be contributing to more graphically intensive games "hanging" for a few seconds (I bought Subnautica on Steam today and the game even warned me about 4 gigs not being enough :( ). I have a hard time judging how much performance upgrading X part would give vs. just saving up for a more major upgrade so would appreciate any advice!

Edit: Forgot to add that the PSU is a CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD that I don't think is sold anymore, the URL from my old newegg order redirects to a newer model.

First off upgrade to at least 8GB of RAM, that should help a fair bit and is very cheap. It might be better to wait on a video card upgrade, the card you have is old and slow but new cards are coming out in the next 2-6 months and will be much faster than anything we have right now. A CPU upgrade would help but not as much as the other stuff and would be expensive since at a minimum you would want an i3 CPU plus a low end motherboard, that would run you around $240-$250. Also if you don't have an SSD that would be a really good upgrade in general.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

The Mandingo posted:

I built my current computer 5 years ago and it is really aged nicely. Can't handle modern games, so I'm trying to decide on building a new one or just upgrading parts. What should I do with the following:

Cooler Master Elite 341 mini tower case
ASUS P7H55-M PRO Mobo
Intel i5-760 2.8 GHz processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
4 GB of Kingston 1600 MHz DDR3
Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue HD
Antec EarthWatts 500 Watt Power Supply

I use it for light gaming, and it can't run Fallout 4 or ARMA games well. I'd like to be able to run those type of games on high settings. I run two monitors, a 24" Dell Ultrasharp at 1920x1200 and a secondary 19".

Can this be upgraded, or should I convert it into a media center and build new?

Still haven't updated, and now that the Division has been released I really wanna upgrade or get a new system. Goon suggestions from when I posted this originally was to get another 4 GB of ram, upgrade to a 290 or 970, and overclock with an newer PSU. Will my system with upgrades handle The Division or should I get a new rig?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Mandingo posted:

Still haven't updated, and now that the Division has been released I really wanna upgrade or get a new system. Goon suggestions from when I posted this originally was to get another 4 GB of ram, upgrade to a 290 or 970, and overclock with an newer PSU. Will my system with upgrades handle The Division or should I get a new rig?

The Division has all sorts of technical problems that make it run badly on even fairly high end systems so it's sort of hard to say. The Division does do stream loading though and that makes it more CPU intensive so a full upgrade might be the best choice. Here is a spec to look at:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($274.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $982.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-15 17:20 EDT-0400

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Wooper posted:

New corsair psu's turn off their fan when not needed so look into those.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

First off upgrade to at least 8GB of RAM, that should help a fair bit and is very cheap. It might be better to wait on a video card upgrade, the card you have is old and slow but new cards are coming out in the next 2-6 months and will be much faster than anything we have right now. A CPU upgrade would help but not as much as the other stuff and would be expensive since at a minimum you would want an i3 CPU plus a low end motherboard, that would run you around $240-$250. Also if you don't have an SSD that would be a really good upgrade in general.

Awesome, thanks for the speedy reply. One strange thing happened when I went to check which memory slots were being used, I noticed out of 4 GB total 2 GB were allocated to "Hardware Reserved". I experimented a bit and swapped sticks around and after returning to the original config 4GB are usable again and only 5MB are Hardware Reserved :eyepop:

I'm not sure if one of the sticks somehow got unseated or more likely is going bad if I had to guess? It explains why Chrome suddenly would not load tabs unless they were in the foreground and if a tab sat in the background for too long, it would reload the page fresh. I'm guessing it was desperately trying to cope with 2GB of RAM haha...

In any case, going to order 8GB soon and will definitely keep a closer eye on things and I'll hold off on any potential video card upgrade until the new cards you mentioned are released. I'm guessing prices on the older cards would drop as a result of that too? Good in any case :)

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

ColHannibal posted:

New corsair psu's turn off their fan when not needed so look into those.

I have a 650w GS evga psu and with the Eco switch on the fan never comes on. It stays off until >50% load, and I guess an OC'd 6700k+970 are not enough to reach that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Goblin posted:

Awesome, thanks for the speedy reply. One strange thing happened when I went to check which memory slots were being used, I noticed out of 4 GB total 2 GB were allocated to "Hardware Reserved". I experimented a bit and swapped sticks around and after returning to the original config 4GB are usable again and only 5MB are Hardware Reserved :eyepop:

I'm not sure if one of the sticks somehow got unseated or more likely is going bad if I had to guess? It explains why Chrome suddenly would not load tabs unless they were in the foreground and if a tab sat in the background for too long, it would reload the page fresh. I'm guessing it was desperately trying to cope with 2GB of RAM haha...

In any case, going to order 8GB soon and will definitely keep a closer eye on things and I'll hold off on any potential video card upgrade until the new cards you mentioned are released. I'm guessing prices on the older cards would drop as a result of that too? Good in any case :)

One thing to keep in mind before you order new RAM, if you decide to upgrade your CPU/Mobo you will need DDR4 RAM so if you are going to do that any time soon it would make more sense to just get the new CPU/Mobo/RAM now so you don't waste money on DDR3 RAM that you won't be able to reuse.

Oner the other hand 8GB of DDR3 is only like $30 so if you don't mind wasting that money you could just get it now and save up for the new CPU/Mobo/RAM.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Hey everybody! Been lurking this thread for awhile for my personal PC needs, but recently a friend decided they wanted to drop some tax return money on a new machine.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, and they'd like the option to stream.
What's your budget? Around $1k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p 60FPS, probably doesn't need to be playing Witcher 3 at Ultra Max or anything.

Here's what I've pieced together so far. They've got a HDD they're bringing over for storage so I left that, a case, and peripherals off for now.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $980.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-15 20:37 EDT-0400

Am I missing anything obvious? Is the i7 way overkill for streaming at 1080p? I know new GPUs are on the horizon but they're down for passing the 970 off if they want to upgrade down the line.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Misandu posted:

Hey everybody! Been lurking this thread for awhile for my personal PC needs, but recently a friend decided they wanted to drop some tax return money on a new machine.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, and they'd like the option to stream.
What's your budget? Around $1k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p 60FPS, probably doesn't need to be playing Witcher 3 at Ultra Max or anything.

Here's what I've pieced together so far. They've got a HDD they're bringing over for storage so I left that, a case, and peripherals off for now.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $980.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-15 20:37 EDT-0400

Am I missing anything obvious? Is the i7 way overkill for streaming at 1080p? I know new GPUs are on the horizon but they're down for passing the 970 off if they want to upgrade down the line.

Here, I made some changes, added a case, faster RAM, better motherboard and a different video card:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.95 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($274.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $999.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-15 21:35 EDT-0400

The R9 390 for $275 is a pretty unbeatable deal, it's about the same speed as the 970 but ~$45 less.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
For someone like me (not a real gamer, don't mind running those at 960x600 if needed) who's ready to move from the i5's HD4600 iGPU to a low-consumption discrete GPU, is the 750ti still the best choice?

HD4600 has enough weaknesses (some compatibility, also modern stuff like GTA5 looks fun :shobon: and I'm missing GPU assists for occasional heavy lifting) that something with the 750ti's low price and minimal power draw looks appealing. It just seems like that card's been out long enough that I must've missed something better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

For someone like me (not a real gamer, don't mind running those at 960x600 if needed) who's ready to move from the i5's HD4600 iGPU to a low-consumption discrete GPU, is the 750ti still the best choice?

HD4600 has enough weaknesses (some compatibility, also modern stuff like GTA5 looks fun :shobon: and I'm missing GPU assists for occasional heavy lifting) that something with the 750ti's low price and minimal power draw looks appealing. It just seems like that card's been out long enough that I must've missed something better.

I would get an R7 370 instead, this one is only $115 after rebate and $130 before the rebate and the 370 is like 40% faster than the 750 Ti. It does draw more power but it's still a pretty low power card at 110W.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here, I made some changes, added a case, faster RAM, better motherboard and a different video card:

The R9 390 for $275 is a pretty unbeatable deal, it's about the same speed as the 970 but ~$45 less.
Thank you! Stealing this build from Misandu :)
edit: any advice for a wireless network adapter? (the house i rent a room in has no ethernet plugs anywhere)

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 16, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Wooper posted:

I'm in the EU and using this : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-760-platinum-psu,3999.html

It was fairly pricey at 150 euros (we get screwed as usual), but for my purposes, well worth it.

The hybrid mode is silent. I can't hear it loaded up either; although I wouldn't hear it over the rest of the fans (they're quiet, with a controller, but I'm talking when really pushed).

That said, I don't exceed 600w at the wall yet - so that'd be why.

E: Christ it's gone up thirty euros in price for some reason. For bonus comedy, my PC to build new is now apparently 450 euros more expensive than when I bought it. Yay economics.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Wooper posted:

I use a Corsair RM550x, I'm very happy with it, the fan has never come on so totally silent for me. Gold certified, 7-year warranty.

Also are you sure you need 700w? That is overkill for most systems

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I just wanna give a big shoutout to AVeryLargeRadish for their help in picking out all my parts. I finally got everything built, panicked because it didn't turn on, did some troubleshooting, and now I feel like a computer genius with my very own hand-built sick rig. Highly recommended!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I wanted to post a delayed "review" of that Zotac 970, but for 250$ it's a hell of a deal. It's never a bad idea to wait of course, but if you want something now that is also SUPER small it's well worth it. :)

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thanks for the incredibly fast help! I'm glad to get a recommendation on a motherboard, and the 390 swap is exactly the sort of thing that I wanted some feedback on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's a good video card for someone who's not interested in gaming, but wants to run 2-3 monitors on a system that's just for office stuff and video teleconferencing?

Will probably be a midrange i5 system.

e: By "good" I mean not wasting money on features that aren't needed if you're not gaming at all. I just want a card that'll run 3 monitors at 1920x1080 or so.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 16, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Entropic posted:

What's a good video card for someone who's not interested in gaming, but wants to run 2-3 monitors on a system that's just for office stuff and video teleconferencing?

Will probably be a midrange i5 system.
R7 240, it cannot play anything but has up to three video outputs (VGA, HDMI, DVI-D)

scratch that, that's only for DP models which don't seem to actually exist anymore :psyduck:

The GT 730 or 740 GDDR5 models should work, though. They each have 1x HDMI, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487052 This is $70 at the moment.

If you want to chance it since I'm not sure if this has ever been demonstrated to work with 3 displays, there's a GT 720 for $50. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487063

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Generally on board Intel gpu can run 2 monitors.. if not I'd say the 720 will work.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
GT 730 looks like about what I'm looking for. Will it for sure run 3 outputs at once?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Entropic posted:

GT 730 looks like about what I'm looking for. Will it for sure run 3 outputs at once?
The GT 730 GDDR5 is a Kepler model and all Kepler cards support 3 outputs, though you might have to use DVI-D instead of DVI-A for the DVI port.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ok then, sanity check please:

Intel Core i3-6100
Gigabyte Micro ATX DDR4 GA-B150M-D3H
2x4GB DDR4-2133
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
EVGA GeForce GT 730 PCIe 2GB
500W PSU
Windows 10 PRO

This is a home office system I'm speccing out for my dad who's looking to replace his aging XP-era Dell tower that he's getting frustrated with the general slowness and flakiness of.
Needs to run Office 2016 and 2-3 monitors and do RDP sessions and teleconferencing.

Am I missing anything or overkilling anything?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

Intel Core i3-6100
2x4GB DDR4-2133
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
500W PSU
Windows 10 PRO

This is a home office system I'm speccing out for my dad who's looking to replace his aging XP-era Dell tower that he's getting frustrated with the general slowness and flakiness of.
Needs to run Office 2016 and 2-3 monitors and do RDP sessions and teleconferencing.

Does he really need the HDD?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

snuff posted:

Does he really need the HDD?

He does have a lot of music to store and I figured I'd set it up for Windows Backup.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Entropic posted:

Intel Core i3-6100
2x4GB DDR4-2133
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
500W PSU
Windows 10 PRO

No chance of springing for the 500GB SSD? It's not a requirement and he may really not need it but 250 can get pretty constraining pretty quick.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'll be asking him what kinda storage he really wants / needs, I mainly just wanted to check I'm not crazy with the board/cpu/gpu/memory I'm recommending.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
People have told me and reviews of new CPU's have kept telling me that I won't get any huge benefit from upgrading my 2500k to a newer CPU for gaming (though I do use it for stuff other than that too). Luckily, I just saw this thread which I think stops that dumb logic: http://www.overclock.net/t/1578480/i5-2500k-4-5ghz-vs-6700k-4-5ghz-in-games
I saw another similar thread on another site but I lost the link.

So, I've decided to upgrade this year (plus my computer seems to be slowly dying so it's time anyway).

I know the recommended CPU seems to be the 4790k, but the benchmarks I'm looking at are telling me otherwise, plus I should hopefully have money to burn this year so I'm going to go all out with top-notch parts and overclock this poo poo out of everything.

So, here is what I'm interested in:

CPU: i7 6700k
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO (I want a nice heavy, stable overclock. I wanted to go with an MSI motherboard as it has some extras I like such as better onboard sound and built-in wireless, so if anyone has another suggestion that's in "this range" let me know)
RAM: 16GB DDR4, probably G.Skill (haven't decided on speed, but I want 16gb as I do some tasks that can already eat up the 8gb I currently have)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (willing to go with something cheaper, but sturdy)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Platinum (talk me into settling for a Gold with that 10-year warranty,; 750w in-case I go dual-gpu at some point)
Main Storage: Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 256gb (cause why not [coming from an 840 evo]? For OS and apps and games I use most. Not sure if I want to go as far as 512gb even though my current 250gb ssd fills up fast)
Secondary Storage: WD Black 5TB 128mb cache (apparently the fastest regular HDD, and I need that much storage. Need a fast HDD as I have lots of files I need to load fast but a huge SSD is not price-effective)
CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i V2 (want liquid cooling, too afraid to use the kind where you fill/replace coolant yourself, want a hefty overclock hence liquid cooling)
Video card: Re-using GTX 970 for now
Other: Re-using everything else, though I'd like to upgrade to a nice 1440p IPS monitor.

Obviously I hate money, but I realize maybe there's some trade-off's to be had here that I could get help with. Even though I'm going a bit "all-out" I'm not interested in Haswell-E or the upcoming Broadwell-E as the amount of energy they use is huge.

So yes, price range = $3,000 or less

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Are any new CPUs on the horizon from Intel over the next few months? I was planning on doing a new build once Pascal hits, but if there isn't going to be any movement on CPU's I could just buy it now and drop in a Pascal card later.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Entropic posted:

Intel Core i3-6100
2x4GB DDR4-2133
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
500W PSU
Windows 10 PRO

Make absolutely sure he gets the GDDR5 model of the 730. One of the 730 models is DDR3 and is most often actually a Fermi (500-series card) and doesn't support output to all three displays. I'm not sure why Nvidia does this for their low end. :psyduck:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

dy. posted:

Are any new CPUs on the horizon from Intel over the next few months? I was planning on doing a new build once Pascal hits, but if there isn't going to be any movement on CPU's I could just buy it now and drop in a Pascal card later.

Kaby Lake is about half a year away and shows no signs of being more than a marginal upgrade to Skylake. Broadwell-E might be sooner, if you were looking for an X99 build, someone else who knows more about X99 might be able to tell you if it's worth waiting for. Otherwise, it's pretty safe to upgrade now.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Swartz posted:

People have told me and reviews of new CPU's have kept telling me that I won't get any huge benefit from upgrading my 2500k to a newer CPU for gaming (though I do use it for stuff other than that too). Luckily, I just saw this thread which I think stops that dumb logic: http://www.overclock.net/t/1578480/i5-2500k-4-5ghz-vs-6700k-4-5ghz-in-games
I saw another similar thread on another site but I lost the link.

So, I've decided to upgrade this year (plus my computer seems to be slowly dying so it's time anyway).

I know the recommended CPU seems to be the 4790k, but the benchmarks I'm looking at are telling me otherwise, plus I should hopefully have money to burn this year so I'm going to go all out with top-notch parts and overclock this poo poo out of everything.

So, here is what I'm interested in:

CPU: i7 6700k
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO (I want a nice heavy, stable overclock. I wanted to go with an MSI motherboard as it has some extras I like such as better onboard sound and built-in wireless, so if anyone has another suggestion that's in "this range" let me know)
RAM: 16GB DDR4, probably G.Skill (haven't decided on speed, but I want 16gb as I do some tasks that can already eat up the 8gb I currently have)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (willing to go with something cheaper, but sturdy)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Platinum (talk me into settling for a Gold with that 10-year warranty,; 750w in-case I go dual-gpu at some point)
Main Storage: Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 256gb (cause why not [coming from an 840 evo]? For OS and apps and games I use most. Not sure if I want to go as far as 512gb even though my current 250gb ssd fills up fast)
Secondary Storage: WD Black 5TB 128mb cache (apparently the fastest regular HDD, and I need that much storage. Need a fast HDD as I have lots of files I need to load fast but a huge SSD is not price-effective)
CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i V2 (want liquid cooling, too afraid to use the kind where you fill/replace coolant yourself, want a hefty overclock hence liquid cooling)
Video card: Re-using GTX 970 for now
Other: Re-using everything else, though I'd like to upgrade to a nice 1440p IPS monitor.

Obviously I hate money, but I realize maybe there's some trade-off's to be had here that I could get help with. Even though I'm going a bit "all-out" I'm not interested in Haswell-E or the upcoming Broadwell-E as the amount of energy they use is huge.

So yes, price range = $3,000 or less

A few tweaks I would make:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($95.10 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($327.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($639.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($639.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2778.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-16 15:00 EDT-0400

I kitted this out as a dual GPU system to check the power requirements and even without any overclocking it eats up 720W so you should get a larger PSU. The EVGA 850W platinum one is pretty cheap right now anyway so there is no problem with getting it instead, there is also a good deal on the 1000W Corsair Platinum if you really want to go for overkill. Another change is going for the H110i GT instead of the H100i V2, it's actually cheaper right now and has the same combo deal with the 6700k for an extra $13 off, it's overkill for this CPU but that just means that you can run the fans slow and quiet while still getting maximum cooling. You want to go for fast RAM these days because it is making a difference in some games, here I used DDR4-3000 but 3200 would also be a good choice. I bumped up the 950 Pro to 512GB, 256GB is pretty restrictive and it looks like you have the money to spend so you should really go for the larger capacity here so you're not moving big games on and off of it too often. Obviously the two video cards are just stand ins. Anyway, I hope that all helps, have fun building this monster. :)

• Locked thread