Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Dark Helmut posted:

Is this a humblebrag? :confuoot:

Most companies don't block off two peoples' calendars just to give feedback on how horribly you did. You're probably in the driver's seat, broseph.

No, it's not a humblebrag. I'm legit freaking out :qq:. But thanks, you're right. I didn't think about it that way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cheesegod posted:

So I had my onsite interview yesterday - it went decent despite it being 6 hours long. Didn't knock it out of the park, but didn't completely blow it. They said they would be in contact with me today and sure enough they were. They emailed at 10am this morning to schedule a call with the recruiter and hiring manager.

Is this a good sign? A bad sign? The wording of the email sounds neutral (probably intentionally so). I'm freaking out because I don't know if they're going to say I got the job or if the recruiter and manager are blocking off some time to tell me how bad I did yesterday.
6 hour interviews turn into 1 hour interviews if you suck. 6 hours mean they're going to extend an offer. As for the calls, if the news was that you suck and they don't want to hire you, they wouldn't waste the time and effort of the recruiter and manager. Hope this helps.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
They just called and I got the offer! And I got offered more than I asked for! The hiring manager wanted to join the call because she said she really wants me to come work for her team. I told them I would take the weekend to think it over, but I think I am going to accept!

Thank you all for being realistic while I was panicking for no reason.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

6 hour interviews turn into 1 hour interviews if you suck. 6 hours mean they're going to extend an offer. As for the calls, if the news was that you suck and they don't want to hire you, they wouldn't waste the time and effort of the recruiter and manager. Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, lots of places will not do this (walk a candidate out early) even if they are completely bombing. I wouldn't say that "getting to stay through the whole scheduled time" is a signal for interview success.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cheesegod posted:

They just called and I got the offer! And I got offered more than I asked for! The hiring manager wanted to join the call because she said she really wants me to come work for her team. I told them I would take the weekend to think it over, but I think I am going to accept!

Thank you all for being realistic while I was panicking for no reason.

Go to the Negotiation Thread and read the last couples post. Ask for more money. It could be the easiest $10k/year you ever earned in your life.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bisty Q. posted:

Just to be clear, lots of places will not do this (walk a candidate out early) even if they are completely bombing. I wouldn't say that "getting to stay through the whole scheduled time" is a signal for interview success.
A 6 hour interview is a longass time. If you have a 6 hour interview and you're engaged for the whole period, it's a good sign. If you're bombing, the interviewer will usually find an excuse to end it early. Lord knows, I do. And so do my colleagues.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 16, 2017

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Hey, so I got an email response from a job I applied to, nothing crazy, just a small part-time thing. He said they were interested in meeting with me, but they'd scheduled a time during the week (Wed) when I was working, saying that if I couldn't make they will gladly reschedule.

So I told them pretty much, "Hey I work all day Wed/Thurs and I'm not available at all, but do you have anything on Friday or Monday?" I assumed they're not there on weekends.

He proceeded to respond to me by asking what time I was available on the two days I just said I wasn't available at all on. :confused:

So I responded basically just saying again I'm sorry but I work those days, here's my exact range of availability for the next several days, sorry if my previous email was confusing. And now I haven't heard anything back at all in days. I really don't feel like I did anything wrong there, unless I'm missing something obvious?? What the heck

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Panic Restaurant posted:

Hey, so I got an email response from a job I applied to, nothing crazy, just a small part-time thing. He said they were interested in meeting with me, but they'd scheduled a time during the week (Wed) when I was working, saying that if I couldn't make they will gladly reschedule.

So I told them pretty much, "Hey I work all day Wed/Thurs and I'm not available at all, but do you have anything on Friday or Monday?" I assumed they're not there on weekends.

He proceeded to respond to me by asking what time I was available on the two days I just said I wasn't available at all on. :confused:

So I responded basically just saying again I'm sorry but I work those days, here's my exact range of availability for the next several days, sorry if my previous email was confusing. And now I haven't heard anything back at all in days. I really don't feel like I did anything wrong there, unless I'm missing something obvious?? What the heck

I had the exact same thing happening and in my case it was because both the HR rep and the interviewer being extremely busy and not noticing the error.

My anwser was the same as yours, point out that they probably misread my previous mail and reiterate which days/times I was available. Took 2-3 days before I got an anwser saying something like "oh crap. Our bad sorry, how does dat x on timeslot y sound to you?"

I ended up cancelling my 2nd interview since if they're that sloppy on getting new people to join their company, they are probably that sloppy in other aspects as well, and I didn't care enough to find out.

I got another mail 3-4 weeks later about why I cancelled. I know they were extremely busy and were turning down work left and right, but if they don't see hiring should solve that and thus needs to be somewhere at the top of their priority list it's not a place I'd like to work right now (or probably ever).

Of course, your situation might be completely different though.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dik Hz posted:

A 6 hour interview is a longass time. If you have a 6 hour interview and you're engaged for the whole period, it's a good sign. If you're bombing, the interviewer will usually find an excuse to end it early. Lord knows, I do. And so do my colleagues.

As much as it doesn't make sense in the real (SMB) world, plenty of enterprise-level companies will have you run through a whole power day regardless.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I've used this resume six times or so recently and it's resulted in one interview. I realize this is actually probably pretty good in my field, especially since two of those times were for jobs with a local city that's notoriously difficult to land an interview with unless you know somebody and another was with a school that announced a hiring freeze within 12 hours of my applying, but I still feel these are all jobs I am well-enough qualified for that I should be getting a phone interview at least.

That makes me wonder if something's wrong with my resume, so I'm sharing it here with personal information redacted and changed should anyone be willing to look it over. I've tried to follow all the advice in the OP to the best that I can. A few small glitches I'm aware of that happened when I edited this so I could share it: 1) I'm aware the contact information is off-center, that happened when I changed the text for some reason but it looks fine normally, and 2) I'm aware one reference is cut off, that just happened when I converted it to a jpg, it is visible normally.

Thank you guys so much! You've all been very helpful in general during this latest job search of mine.

e: thumbnailed so it's not my jackass resume taking up half the page

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 14, 2016

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
No need to list references on your resume unless the posting specifically asks you to.
If you want to include a highlights or summary section, I'd put that at the top and write in in ~3 lines of sentences, rather than bullet points.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HisMajestyBOB posted:

No need to list references on your resume unless the posting specifically asks you to.
If you want to include a highlights or summary section, I'd put that at the top and write in in ~3 lines of sentences, rather than bullet points.
Agree on the references.

Somewhat disagree on the highlights, depending on what job you're applying to. You want to put the most important thing first. If you're trying to get a different job, go ahead and lead with the highlights. If you're applying for jobs as a copywriter or journalist, leading with the fact that you're experienced in the field is probably the most relevant and important thing.

Either way, 1 interview in 6 applications is amazingly good.

Btw, I'm that guy who reads resumes of people who claim to be good at communication just to find typos so I can feel smug, despite the fact that there's probably a typo in this post. That being said, you're mixing verb tenses in the second bullet on your second job listing. It's probably especially important to have a typo-free resume in the journalism field. Also, I like the Oxford comma, but that debate will probably be solved after everyone agrees about abortion, Israel, and the proper role of government in a modern society.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 14, 2016

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Good catch on the tense-mixing, I feel foolish.

I'll remove the reference segment. I can definitely do the highlights/summary section in full sentences. As for placement, I'm looking mostly at editing or public sector/community relations work, and pretty much every job I have applied for has listed a background in journalism or related fields as a strongly preferred or required criteria. I assume that's close enough to justify work experience up top?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bluedeanie posted:

Good catch on the tense-mixing, I feel foolish.

I'll remove the reference segment. I can definitely do the highlights/summary section in full sentences. As for placement, I'm looking mostly at editing or public sector/community relations work, and pretty much every job I have applied for has listed a background in journalism or related fields as a strongly preferred or required criteria. I assume that's close enough to justify work experience up top?
:smugdog:

Ok, now that that's out of the way. I'd absolutely lead with the relevant experience. When I'm reading resumes as a hiring manager, I skip the highlights/skills/summary stuff and go straight to the most recent employment. By putting that first, you're communicating that you know what's important. That's just my opinion, though.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

:smugdog:

Ok, now that that's out of the way. I'd absolutely lead with the relevant experience. When I'm reading resumes as a hiring manager, I skip the highlights/skills/summary stuff and go straight to the most recent employment. By putting that first, you're communicating that you know what's important. That's just my opinion, though.

This. When someone is looking to hire, they care first and foremost about specifically what have you done in the past that proves you can do this job now. In almost every case, this is previous work experience. Highlights/Summary is good, but it's not as representative as concrete jobs/publications/etc.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I absolutely want to see the most recent job on the first page, but I would say that a short summary above that is never a bad idea. Answer the question for the hiring manager: Who are you and what do you do?

At least in my line of work, a lot of people have unclear roles/titles/whatever and a couple sentences letting me know you're a "PMP-certified Project Manager with SDLC experience and an MBA" goes a long way. Then of course the next thing I want to see is where you've done that, so just don't clutter up the first page with a cumbersome skills section or something that detracts me from answering: Who are you, what do you do, and where/how long have you done it?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I was asked about expected salary in a preliminary phone interview today. I basically said, "I'd have to take the total compensation package into consideration. I recognize that while I am well educated, I'm a recent graduate and that's taken into consideration, and at the same time I assume that if you're specifically looking for a PhD you're not going to make an insulting offer. There's more that goes into making a job rewarding than just the pay," and that seemed to successfully get the mater dropped. Should I have handled that differently? (I had insomnia last night and that was the best I could manage on 2 hours of sleep.)

Also, any suggestions for when an interviewer asks you if you have any questions and they don't have an answer to your question? I didn't press the matter once I realized this person didn't have the information I wanted (it was related to the company's patents, so I should have probably recognized that in retrospect), but I've never had that happen before and I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

I was asked about expected salary in a preliminary phone interview today. I basically said, "I'd have to take the total compensation package into consideration. I recognize that while I am well educated, I'm a recent graduate and that's taken into consideration, and at the same time I assume that if you're specifically looking for a PhD you're not going to make an insulting offer. There's more that goes into making a job rewarding than just the pay," and that seemed to successfully get the mater dropped. Should I have handled that differently? (I had insomnia last night and that was the best I could manage on 2 hours of sleep.)

Also, any suggestions for when an interviewer asks you if you have any questions and they don't have an answer to your question? I didn't press the matter once I realized this person didn't have the information I wanted (it was related to the company's patents, so I should have probably recognized that in retrospect), but I've never had that happen before and I'm not sure if I should be worried.

I was about to ask this same question, i had a preliminary interview today and said i would "need to evaluate the entire compensation package to give a number." they said it was cool for now but in a subsequent interview we would have to discuss it again. i am debating saying "i checked and based on research from some websites i feel that any increase in pay would be adequate compared to my current position"

asur
Dec 28, 2012

poeticoddity posted:

Asking a question an interviewer can't answer isn't an issue unless you're trying to be a dick about it. If you want an answer, I'd just ask if they can get back to you about it or if there is someone else you could ask.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I was about to ask this same question, i had a preliminary interview today and said i would "need to evaluate the entire compensation package to give a number." they said it was cool for now but in a subsequent interview we would have to discuss it again. i am debating saying "i checked and based on research from some websites i feel that any increase in pay would be adequate compared to my current position"

Do not say that. Keep trying to deflect and if you can't then give a number that you'd be happy with. You do not want to tie the pay for the new job to your old job and you want to give a specific number, not a range. I'd definitely keep asking about benefits and get all the information you can there as that can have a big impact.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 15, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

poeticoddity posted:

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Don't hedge. You're awesome, you're amazing, and they should pay you. Never give a caveat or a but. Also, we have a negotiation thread that just got rebooted today that answers your questions! But feel free to repost them in the negotiation thread!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

asur posted:

Asking a question an interviewer can't answer isn't an issue unless you're trying to be a dick about it. If you want an answer, I'd just ask if they can get back to you about it or if there is someone else you could ask.

It was a curiosity more so than critical information, and I moved along as quickly as I could once I realized the person didn't have that information for me.

Dik Hz posted:

Don't hedge. You're awesome, you're amazing, and they should pay you. Never give a caveat or a but. Also, we have a negotiation thread that just got rebooted today that answers your questions! But feel free to repost them in the negotiation thread!

I am reminded of a video of a presentation I saw in a thread in CC called "F*ck you. Pay me." which might be worth watching for anyone who has yet to internalize that their productive work warrants appropriate compensation.

I'm watching it again right now because it's been too long and I'm pretty sure I needed a bit of that kick again.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm going to take a psychotechnical test in a week or so, and I feel like the internet is swamped with test samples that:

A) Are basically spammy poo poo that gives you a meager handful of questions of each type, then asks you to start paying.

B) Barely explain the correct answers to specific questions, and don't generalize / explan general skills and knowledge at all.

What's a good place to figure out generalized math / logic problem solving skills?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

LochNessMonster posted:

I had the exact same thing happening and in my case it was because both the HR rep and the interviewer being extremely busy and not noticing the error.

My anwser was the same as yours, point out that they probably misread my previous mail and reiterate which days/times I was available. Took 2-3 days before I got an anwser saying something like "oh crap. Our bad sorry, how does dat x on timeslot y sound to you?"

I ended up cancelling my 2nd interview since if they're that sloppy on getting new people to join their company, they are probably that sloppy in other aspects as well, and I didn't care enough to find out.

I got another mail 3-4 weeks later about why I cancelled. I know they were extremely busy and were turning down work left and right, but if they don't see hiring should solve that and thus needs to be somewhere at the top of their priority list it's not a place I'd like to work right now (or probably ever).

Of course, your situation might be completely different though.

Add me to the pile of interview nonsense. I am currently in Iceland and heading to Ireland next, and had applied for a remote position with a company. They're opening a satellite in my hometown and presumably saw Portland on my resume and went "ah ha! He really wants to work in Portland".

So I've been going through the motions and would be willing to move back to PDX and cancel my year long adventure for this company. Got invited to round 4 (onsite interviews) but no offer of flying me per the norm. It was also with minimal notice (email on Thurs, available dates are Mon/Tue).

quote:

Hey Ryan,
Thanks so much for taking the time to chat with (person I just phone interviewed with)! She really enjoyed your interview, and as a next step, we'd love to have you into our Portland office for an on-site interview. We have a small team that has recently relocated to Portland, so we are looking to schedule interviews on March 14th and March 15th. Our available time slots are Monday, 3/14: 12p - 3p or 4p - 7p and Tuesday, 3/15: 12p - 3p or 4p - 7p.

I realize you are currently traveling, do you know when you are returning to the states? We can do our best to work around your schedule.
Cheers,
(recruiter)

quote:

Hello again (recruiter)!
It was great chatting with (person I just phone interviewed with) as well, and it's always nice to chat with another person from the PacNW!
Travel might not be quite the right word to use, because to work with Stripe, I would be relocating from Ireland and returning to the Portland metro after living abroad. I'm in Iceland now, then headed back to Ireland (where my things are). The original plan (before you contacted me) included heading east to the European continent for more travel. I originally wasn't planning on being back in Portland again before the end of the year, hence applying for the remote position. Seeding a new satellite office sounds like a good reason to cancel these travel plans, which is why I'm interested! So to answer your question about my returning to the states, it would be determined by my starting date (which as of now sounds like it would be April 11th?).
As for the Icelandic volunteer position, I still have about another week and a half of my volunteer duties. I'm unfortunately not able to get out much earlier (I originally planned on being here until early April) as I am their only volunteer. Is there a way to do this via a video Skype (or Google Hangouts, Slack, etc) call? I know you are on a timeline and I wouldn't want to slow things down on your end.
Let me know what you think, and I'm sure we can make something work. Look forward to hearing from you soon!
-Ryan

Then she ghosted. After two weeks of interviews and various other things, she vanished. I even sent a follow-up :sigh:

It's a company that values transparency (and has done blog posts about how integrated it is into their culture) so I didn't want to lie. I sent it at 1:30a my time, so I was a tad less coherent than I'd like.

My guess is that I've been put into cold storage until they go through the other candidates. If they need more bodies for the office, they'll get back to me.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

After having spent 2 months job hunting in Portland and coming up empty, my conclusions to getting a job there are: either be physically in Portland when applying or have skills/experience that warrants a headhunter to convince you to relocate.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

air- posted:

After having spent 2 months job hunting in Portland and coming up empty, my conclusions to getting a job there are: either be physically in Portland when applying or have skills/experience that warrants a headhunter to convince you to relocate.

That's the clincher. I applied for a remote position, because they say they're a distributed workforce.

She did eventually get back to me for what it's worth, though I don't think she understands my desire to stay in Europe.

quote:

Apologies for the delay. I've been tied up with getting our Portland office up and running. Thanks for clarifying your current status. I don't recall chatting out your current location and assumed you were still living in Portland. Unfortunately these interview will need to be in person in our Portland office. With that said, we are happy to pick things up or schedule your interview once you return in April. We are looking start new classes each month.

Do you want to let me know what your schedule looks like and when you plan to return to the states and we can plan from there?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I have a weekend bird course in May that you basically show up to and get a certificate, but it nevertheless looks really good on your resume for the jobs I'm applying to. Is it kosher to put that course on my resume now and date it May 2016, or just wait?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I've got a phone interview coming up on Monday for a job as a 'junior data scientist'. I didn't think I'd ever get the opportunity to even interview for one of these positions, so I'm excited. The less exciting part is that some of the details of the job listing sound kind of sketchy to me. There is also a disappointing lack of detail in terms of the skills required/expected responsibilities on the posting. Maybe one of you can give some insight.

Things that concern me:
-It's through a consulting firm for a 'large client'
-"This is a contract position through a third party"
-"Must be able to take on an immense workload"

That said, apparently they provide substantial training. I'm just not familiar with this kind of contract/consulting thing. I mostly don't want to get taken advantage of, and I'm wondering what kinds of questions I should ask the interviewer to get a feel for what I'd be getting into.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

the trump tutelage posted:

I have a weekend bird course in May that you basically show up to and get a certificate, but it nevertheless looks really good on your resume for the jobs I'm applying to. Is it kosher to put that course on my resume now and date it May 2016, or just wait?

Sure. "Bird watching mastery certificate, expected May 2016" is totally fine.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Trees and Squids posted:

So I've got a phone interview coming up on Monday for a job as a 'junior data scientist'. I didn't think I'd ever get the opportunity to even interview for one of these positions, so I'm excited. The less exciting part is that some of the details of the job listing sound kind of sketchy to me. There is also a disappointing lack of detail in terms of the skills required/expected responsibilities on the posting. Maybe one of you can give some insight.

Things that concern me:
-It's through a consulting firm for a 'large client'
-"This is a contract position through a third party"
-"Must be able to take on an immense workload"

That said, apparently they provide substantial training. I'm just not familiar with this kind of contract/consulting thing. I mostly don't want to get taken advantage of, and I'm wondering what kinds of questions I should ask the interviewer to get a feel for what I'd be getting into.
Its for telemarketing. Sorry.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dik Hz posted:

Its for telemarketing. Sorry.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, it sounded pretty exploitative during the call. 3 month contract. Wouldn't tell me the name of the company or even what I would be doing beyond using 'SQL and Excel'. They had the gall to ask for a salary expectation with me barely even knowing what the job entailed. Oh well.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Trees and Squids posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, it sounded pretty exploitative during the call. 3 month contract. Wouldn't tell me the name of the company or even what I would be doing beyond using 'SQL and Excel'. They had the gall to ask for a salary expectation with me barely even knowing what the job entailed. Oh well.

Not surprised. Nobody is interested in treating workers like people

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
How big of an issue is it to apply for multiple jobs within the same company?

I'm applying to jobs that I'm qualified for and they're positions that I'd genuinely be interested in doing. It's in biotech (I'd be relocating) at the MSc 2-4 years of experience level if that makes any difference.

If it is an issue, how long should I wait before I apply to another position with them after not hearing back? I'm guessing that it just depends on how big the company is but I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mr Newsman posted:

How big of an issue is it to apply for multiple jobs within the same company?

I'm applying to jobs that I'm qualified for and they're positions that I'd genuinely be interested in doing. It's in biotech (I'd be relocating) at the MSc 2-4 years of experience level if that makes any difference.

If it is an issue, how long should I wait before I apply to another position with them after not hearing back? I'm guessing that it just depends on how big the company is but I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot.
There's no harm whatsoever in doing this as long as you're qualified for the positions you're applying for. Most likely the positions report to different hiring managers anyway.

Mosquito-Ditchery
Sep 16, 2015
So I've been interviewing for a (relatively lowly, but very appealing) research position at a hospital, and the big ol' final interview happened this past Friday. I think it went pretty well, but who knows! I'm trying not to analyze too hard because I don't want to go crazy while I wait. Today I got a phone message from the HR woman in charge of my position, and she sounded very friendly but also cagey, wanted to talk about how I thought the interview went. I left a message in return telling her when I'd be free tomorrow, but the question is... what does this mean? The HR lady is not the one who interviewed me-- the PI did (and other members of the research group), so I'm unsure about why she'd want to know how I thought it went. The PI told me that they'd be conducting other interviews through the end of this week, so I wanna know... is she calling to let me down gently or what? Why now? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to wait until everyone's interviewed before saying yea or nay? This is my first "real" job (full time, long-term, salaried) so I have no idea what any of it means...

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Mosquito-Ditchery posted:

Today I got a phone message from the HR woman in charge of my position, and she sounded very friendly but also cagey, wanted to talk about how I thought the interview went. I left a message in return telling her when I'd be free tomorrow, but the question is... what does this mean?
A similar thing happened to me. I had my interview and the internal recruiter (who I never met in person) called me 2 days later and asked how my interview went. She also wanted to know if I had any more questions about the position, so I interpret her whole followup as gauging my interest before they make a job offer. I'm inclined to say it's a good sign. HR doesn't usually care about letting people down gently.

The timing for me: Interview was on a Monday. Followup on Wednesday. The offer came in the following Monday.

Mosquito-Ditchery
Sep 16, 2015

Chaucer posted:

A similar thing happened to me. I had my interview and the internal recruiter (who I never met in person) called me 2 days later and asked how my interview went. She also wanted to know if I had any more questions about the position, so I interpret her whole followup as gauging my interest before they make a job offer. I'm inclined to say it's a good sign. HR doesn't usually care about letting people down gently.

The timing for me: Interview was on a Monday. Followup on Wednesday. The offer came in the following Monday.

Confirmed, I just got a pretty much fully affirmative email from one of the people who interviewed me, in response to a thank-you message I sent after the interview. Holy poo poo! It's been almost two full years of un- or underemployment. I might vomit with joy/never sleep again!! Thanks for following up, I'll be over there furiously knocking on wood...

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Hello thread! I just finished an interview where I used a lot of tips I learned in this thread and it went great! They made it clear they are interested in me, and are waiting to hear back from me.

... Except I no longer want the position, after they let slip that their work - life balance is terrible, and a few other red flags.

I've never had to write a rejection email before, and I would like to not burn a bridge here, since they were nice guys and it's a small town. The letter would be to the director of this branch, and the team lead.

I was thinking something like "I don't think I am a great match for this position, and I would not be able to carry out the role to the level you require..." but that sounds weird to me.

How should I do it?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
That's sort of the equivalent of "it's not you, it's me". Personally, I wouldn't admit fault or shortcomings, especially when you are the one rejecting them.

I would leave it more vague. "After careful consideration, I've decided to respectfully decline your offer. I have something in the works that I feel better aligns with my career goals." Something like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

That's sort of the equivalent of "it's not you, it's me". Personally, I wouldn't admit fault or shortcomings, especially when you are the one rejecting them.

I would leave it more vague. "After careful consideration, I've decided to respectfully decline your offer. I have something in the works that I feel better aligns with my career goals." Something like that...

That's a much better approach. Thanks!

E: and sent!

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 23, 2016