Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

This is the best chart I've seen on it:

No too many surprises here. MLB / NFL are slightly conservative, PGA is mega conservative. Pro wrestling and the NBA being the most liberal are a bit surprising to me.

Pro wrestling is odd, but NBA makes sense. It's viewership among African Americans would be far higher than among baseball and football, since African Americans tend not to watch bullshit boring sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

seiferguy posted:

My coworker is at it again!

Yes, obey the law until you get mad enough to take over a wildlife preserve.

The more obvious retort is if that is what the protesters are, what does that make those attending Trump's rally?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
According to the NYT, a county's employment rate has a significant negative correlation with Trump support.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

seiferguy posted:

No too many surprises here. MLB / NFL are slightly conservative, PGA is megifa conservative. Pro wrestling and the NBA being the most liberal are a bit surprising to me.

If I remember the rest of the data correctly, WWE fans also had the lowest mean/median income as well.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

Pro wrestling is odd, but NBA makes sense. It's viewership among African Americans would be far higher than among baseball and football, since African Americans tend not to watch bullshit boring sports.

Pro Wrestling has a big black and Latino following which is probably why it's such a big skew.

And who can blame them.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 15, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Pro Wrestling has a big black and Latino following which is probably why it's such a big skew.

And who can blame them.

I have no idea of the context of this, but those are three legitimately happy dudes. This is the cutest thing I've ever seen giant sweaty muscle guys do!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

I have no idea of the context of this, but those are three legitimately happy dudes. This is the cutest thing I've ever seen giant sweaty muscle guys do!

New Day is cool and their origin is pretty fuckin' D&D approved. It all starts with an old school Russian heel character called Rusev (who was cool as hell we loved him and still do. He was quite literally "look at my crazy passport" to the max. He had a ceremony where he was awarded a Hero of the Russian People medal. He would spout anti-American stuff while a picture of Putin was on the big screen. When he won the Russian flag would fall down behind him. He rode a drat tank into Wrestlemania. It was the best.) Anyway, to show how tough he was he had to keep winning matches, and it was pointed out everyone he won against was black. It became a running joke because for weeks he'd come out, beat up a black guy, and leave. One day Big E (the big guy in the middle, he's also called Big Wool because he's a heavy sweater and he's also your uncle and your daddy) and Kofi Kingston (on the right who was Jamaican but is now from Ghana) lost a match, and Xavier Woods (the guy on the left who was really doing nothing at that point) came out in a fly rear end suit and said that there were going to be some changes. That they're tired of being treated like a joke and being their for your amusement. He invited Big E and Kofi to join him. They were going to make a new stable that was all about strong angry black men.

Then Michael Brown got shot. So that whole thing was scrapped. Turns out WWE figured people were tired of angry black guys at that point.

So they came out as the New Day, a happy gospel style group of dancing positive dudes. Exactly what they said they weren't going to be and one of the only approved characters for black people WWE had. It didn't go over well. They were supposed to be good guys but they were getting booed heavily and people were chanting "NEW... DAY SUCKS" along with their positive clapping. So they got together and they basically told WWE "look give us a couple of months to do our own thing, if it doesn't work, you can fire us." Somehow, against all odds, they got given the go ahead. They started trying to get people to chant "NEW... DAY ROCKS" instead of sucks, and would insist that's what people were saying. They started cheating to win while still playing the whole positive happy guy angle. They started dancing. They weren't angry black dudes, they were strong cool black nerds just like they are in real life. Xavier is designated as the ringside guy, and he yells so loud that the arena can hear over everything, and the poo poo he says is hilarious. Talking about Big E's tricep meat. He started a drat youtube video game channel. He brought a trombone to the ring and played the Final Fantasy victory music. They started dancing as a taunt and singing in the tune of Empire State Of Mind about how New York was booty (that's right I said booty). Big E's twitter starts getting big. He'd always been funny, but now when a woman asks him not to gyrate so much because her kids will be at the arena, he asks her where her seats are so he can look them in the eyes while he does it. Kofi gets in the ring and threatens to fight people's children.

Basically they took what was a pretty racist and Old White Man idea and turned it into something amazing. And we all love them.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

gently caress these brainless idiots, gently caress them so much.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

125 years ago slavery had only been abolished in the entire country for 26 years.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

taxation is theft

sizzle a steak
on my hot take

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
which which was never ratified

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

:vince:

seiferguy posted:

No too many surprises here. MLB / NFL are slightly conservative, PGA is mega conservative. Pro wrestling and the NBA being the most liberal are a bit surprising to me.

NBA is a more black sport, which is highly correlated with liberalism.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

New Day history

I was not aware that the Michael Brown shooting through a wrench into what New Day was supposed to be. I would say that it was probably for the better that they were given the chance to do their own thing because they are probably my favorite act in the WWE right now.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Chimera-gui posted:

gently caress these brainless idiots, gently caress them so much.

I was thinking we'd have a stronger ACA.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

New Day is cool and their origin is pretty fuckin' D&D approved. It all starts with an old school Russian heel character called Rusev (who was cool as hell we loved him and still do. He was quite literally "look at my crazy passport" to the max. He had a ceremony where he was awarded a Hero of the Russian People medal. He would spout anti-American stuff while a picture of Putin was on the big screen. When he won the Russian flag would fall down behind him. He rode a drat tank into Wrestlemania. It was the best.) Anyway, to show how tough he was he had to keep winning matches, and it was pointed out everyone he won against was black. It became a running joke because for weeks he'd come out, beat up a black guy, and leave. One day Big E (the big guy in the middle, he's also called Big Wool because he's a heavy sweater and he's also your uncle and your daddy) and Kofi Kingston (on the right who was Jamaican but is now from Ghana) lost a match, and Xavier Woods (the guy on the left who was really doing nothing at that point) came out in a fly rear end suit and said that there were going to be some changes. That they're tired of being treated like a joke and being their for your amusement. He invited Big E and Kofi to join him. They were going to make a new stable that was all about strong angry black men.

Then Michael Brown got shot. So that whole thing was scrapped. Turns out WWE figured people were tired of angry black guys at that point.

So they came out as the New Day, a happy gospel style group of dancing positive dudes. Exactly what they said they weren't going to be and one of the only approved characters for black people WWE had. It didn't go over well. They were supposed to be good guys but they were getting booed heavily and people were chanting "NEW... DAY SUCKS" along with their positive clapping. So they got together and they basically told WWE "look give us a couple of months to do our own thing, if it doesn't work, you can fire us." Somehow, against all odds, they got given the go ahead. They started trying to get people to chant "NEW... DAY ROCKS" instead of sucks, and would insist that's what people were saying. They started cheating to win while still playing the whole positive happy guy angle. They started dancing. They weren't angry black dudes, they were strong cool black nerds just like they are in real life. Xavier is designated as the ringside guy, and he yells so loud that the arena can hear over everything, and the poo poo he says is hilarious. Talking about Big E's tricep meat. He started a drat youtube video game channel. He brought a trombone to the ring and played the Final Fantasy victory music. They started dancing as a taunt and singing in the tune of Empire State Of Mind about how New York was booty (that's right I said booty). Big E's twitter starts getting big. He'd always been funny, but now when a woman asks him not to gyrate so much because her kids will be at the arena, he asks her where her seats are so he can look them in the eyes while he does it. Kofi gets in the ring and threatens to fight people's children.

Basically they took what was a pretty racist and Old White Man idea and turned it into something amazing. And we all love them.

I've never been into wrestling but the last few years I've been drawn to it because listening to wrestling stories is legitimately one of my favorite things.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
People's brains are breaking. This Facebook friend is soo close. I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
125 years ago, I wouldn't have a computer or ride on an airplane either. Wow, things sure were great?

Henker
May 5, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

I'm surprised horse racing leans left and college basketball is centrist.

Klaus88 posted:

The horse racing in particular had me make the :stare: face.

I'm actually not that surprised. I live in San Diego where we have a horse track (the Del Mar Racetrack), and they pulled off a pretty successful advertising campaign in the noughties to attract a younger crowd. Basically they sold it as a golden age of Hollywood retro glamour thing and now young women love going there to wear sundresses and huge hats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

125 years ago, I wouldn't have a computer or ride on an airplane either. Wow, things sure were great?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, she's most definitely an "I'm an independent! *votes straight R*" person.

What's funny about these kind of people is that they want you to ignore how they've voted in the last 4-6 major elections and the policies they say they believe in because they IDENTIFY as independents.

Usually I'm an accepting kind of guy that lets people identify how they want, but I know that if you dig just a little bit you could probably find something anti-trans on her wall. So I suggest you call her out on this hypocrisy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 16, 2016

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
"125 Years ago we didn't have to ask permission to go hunting! Sure we drove american buffalo to near extinction, and entirely wiped out the passenger pigeon, but we were free :fsmug:"

Also lol at "You didn't need a certificate to become any trade of profession" from the party of "Check Obama's college transcripts!"

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Ah yes - I do look back fondly at the times when "surgeon" and "barber" were the same profession.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/Mens-Rights-Association-of-America-1696450930636038/?fref=nf

quote:

With summer fast approaching, it is important to remind everyone of the importance of modesty and self-respect. No one has the right to repulse others, cover up! While we sympathize with those who's bodies have been ruined by pregnancy, please do not flaunt it as if it's something to be proud of. Many small children are easily frightened by the sight of a midsection that looks like a chewed up tire. They have a right not to see stuff like that, please respect that right. Being considerate to others really doesn't require much effort on your part, it's as simple as buying a one piece bathing suit. Bikinis most certainly have an age limit, and even more importantly; a weight limit. Please use your judgment and stop being selfish.

I wanted to link the latest story but all of these are loving gems.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

SSNeoman posted:

https://www.facebook.com/Mens-Rights-Association-of-America-1696450930636038/?fref=nf

Looks like someone hacked them and replaced all of their newsfeed posts with pro-pregnancy stuff.

Edit: nevermind, group with same name

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 16, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

People's brains are breaking. This Facebook friend is soo close. I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

lol If Ben Shapiro is one of your movement's thinkers you have problems.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

I am the last loving person on the planet outside of a motorized Walmart scooter you want to see in a bikini, but gently caress this noise, I'd get the skimpiest thing I could find and loving parade it around this guy's neighborhood.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am the last loving person on the planet outside of a motorized Walmart scooter you want to see in a bikini, but gently caress this noise, I'd get the skimpiest thing I could find and loving parade it around this guy's neighborhood.

I'm sure you look nice in a one-peace suit though, darling. :bigtran:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SSNeoman posted:

George Lakoff wrote a case study in his book "Women, Fire and Dangerous Things" called 'Anger, Lust, and Rape" and I think it's useful for understanding where these people come from.

I don't really trust myself to explain it, but if you look up the book in google books and search for "sexuality is a physical force" it'll take you to page 413 where it's explained. I don't know how accessible it is without reading the rest of the book where he explains how metaphor works on a cognitive level.

I think it might be helpful to imagine how might you feel if someone sat down next to you just reeking of poo poo, AND that the social rules of society permit or encourage smelling bad. You You'd feel attacked, you might feel humiliated because you're forced to just sit there and take the smell and you're not allowed to do anything about it. You might feel injured, and that the injury warrants retaliation. So it makes sense that you might want to retaliate in kind, by spraying them with lysol.

This framework generates a lot of the same excuses you see in our own culture towards rape. That the victim was 'asking for it,' what do you expect to happen when you douse yourself in skunk spray?

So, from this framework, the Mens Rights people make sense. They're just minding their own business and then an ugly fat person walks in and attacks them with ugly. Now they've got to deal with the emotional revulsion response that was inflicted upon them.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
This happened; I just couldn't help myself.

I'd like to point out that, not only did he post this, he then *liked* that he posted it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Vaishino posted:

This happened; I just couldn't help myself.

I'd like to point out that, not only did he post this, he then *liked* that he posted it.

I probably would have touched the poop as well, to be honest.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Loving that "headless person wearing a suit" avatar

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cash crab posted:

I probably would have touched the poop as well, to be honest.

Poop well-touched, I say.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

George Lakoff wrote a case study in his book "Women, Fire and Dangerous Things" called 'Anger, Lust, and Rape" and I think it's useful for understanding where these people come from.

I don't really trust myself to explain it, but if you look up the book in google books and search for "sexuality is a physical force" it'll take you to page 413 where it's explained. I don't know how accessible it is without reading the rest of the book where he explains how metaphor works on a cognitive level.

I think it might be helpful to imagine how might you feel if someone sat down next to you just reeking of poo poo, AND that the social rules of society permit or encourage smelling bad. You You'd feel attacked, you might feel humiliated because you're forced to just sit there and take the smell and you're not allowed to do anything about it. You might feel injured, and that the injury warrants retaliation. So it makes sense that you might want to retaliate in kind, by spraying them with lysol.

This framework generates a lot of the same excuses you see in our own culture towards rape. That the victim was 'asking for it,' what do you expect to happen when you douse yourself in skunk spray?

So, from this framework, the Mens Rights people make sense. They're just minding their own business and then an ugly fat person walks in and attacks them with ugly. Now they've got to deal with the emotional revulsion response that was inflicted upon them.

So they're entitled babies with no control over their emotions. Already knew that.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Hermetic posted:

So they're entitled babies with no control over their emotions. Already knew that.
I was crafting some scathing retort about how women don't exist to please men, especially jagoff assholes, but this covers it much more succintly

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hermetic posted:

Look, you can't write a book if you put that on the cover.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Look, you can't write a book if you put that on the cover.

MRAs are Disgusting, Entitled Babies With No Control Over Their Emotions. I'd buy 2 copies, personally.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Hermetic posted:

MRAs are Disgusting, Entitled Babies With No Control Over Their Emotions. I'd buy 2 copies, personally.

Add "top ten ways" and you've got a great click bait article.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shbobdb posted:

You won't believe how this MRA dealt with his mommy issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

You think anyone could narrow the list down to 10? This book would be of a size George R. R. Martin would find excessive.