Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Can confirm the blank page when coming back to the app as well. Android M on a Nexus 6P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Often times after switching back to this app after going through a few other apps it will stop working correctly. The thread index no longer updates and the posts page is just blank. I have to close and reopen the app. Is this a common issue or is it on my end?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Sereri posted:

For anyone coming in here to report that the app isn't working with the new N developer build: I will cut you.

Hay guyz so I'm on Android N now, and well, poo poo's just not working.

Make btr kthx.

don't cut me, things actually seem alright so far

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Is there a way to get Google results on chrome for the Awful Forums to launch in the Awful app? I'm on a Nexus 7 2013.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gerdalti posted:

Can confirm the blank page when coming back to the app as well. Android M on a Nexus 6P.
Yeah same poo poo on my boring stock Nexus 5 and 7. Wonder why it now 'forgets' like that?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Sereri posted:

For anyone coming in here to report that the app isn't working with the new N developer build: I will cut you.

I used it for about half an hour last night on N and didn't run into any issues.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Probably something they changed about the webview when it updated recently

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yoshimo posted:

Is there a way to get Google results on chrome for the Awful Forums to launch in the Awful app? I'm on a Nexus 7 2013.

It should already do that, unless you set it to something else. Go to THAT apps settings and clear the 'open with this app' settings, whatever they're actually called.

baka kaba posted:

Probably something they changed about the webview when it updated recently

Yeah. I wish you could stay at a single version like a library. I have a fix for the blank page in my head, just had no time to try in. No sure I can do something about the webview making GBS threads itself over the webms.

Also I'm an idiot and turned non-imgur mp4s into webms as well. Whoops.

Actually, that could be the next thread title, Awful.apk - Whoops

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's always exciting to find out in what new and interesting ways an update will break things. ;)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone else been having a bug where hitting next page will cause the page counter to increase and mark the page as read, but the actual content of the thread does not move to the next page? Has happened to me a few times. Stock Nexus 5x.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sereri posted:

Yeah. I wish you could stay at a single version like a library.

It seems pretty terrible that you can't. I mean, really, if updates can change the behavior and break things, it should definitely be able to be pinned at a certain version.

But then again, I guess you could end up with apps pinning at a version of the webview that has security issues...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone else been having a bug where hitting next page will cause the page counter to increase and mark the page as read, but the actual content of the thread does not move to the next page? Has happened to me a few times. Stock Nexus 5x.

I just had this happen this morning. First and only time so far. 2014 Moto X running CM 13 (I know, I know).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Yeah. I wish you could stay at a single version like a library. I have a fix for the blank page in my head, just had no time to try in. No sure I can do something about the webview making GBS threads itself over the webms.

I get the feeling it's down to the activity config basically overriding everything, so the usual lifecycle handling isn't being done properly. I know I saw something that kinda predicted this happening, but I forget things :shobon:

I'm pretty sure the webm stuff is down to the auto-start handling, or maybe it's doing some processing on each one? It seems like it 'locks' the webview until any 'playing' is finished, and then it will load whatever was pending. It definitely does it for playing some videos (webms only I think), but it might happen if it's processing thumbnails or something too - I don't know how it works, I haven't had time to look at it. But some kind of interrupt on navigation might help, if that's available

Is there any actual documentation for webview updates, because I can never seem to find any. That's the best part about it - self updating webviews! Let's play a fun game - guess what we changed!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Try loading another thread, to see if it changes behavior. When this happens to me, it displays the same page not just for other pages of the same thread, but for other threads entirely. To load a new page/thread I have to go to the app switcher, fling Awful off, and open the app again.

It's the only showstopping bug I encounter, but I get it at least once/day. It seems to happen on very image-heavy pages, or ones where I've played a few embedded YouTube videos.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's the videos (and maybe gifs), they're stopping the page from updating. Usually if you wait a minute they'll stop doing whatever they're doing and then the page will update

It sucks, but until it's fixed that's just how it is. And hopefully it won't be too bad if you know you just need to wait a little while

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Squizzle posted:

Try loading another thread, to see if it changes behavior. When this happens to me, it displays the same page not just for other pages of the same thread, but for other threads entirely. To load a new page/thread I have to go to the app switcher, fling Awful off, and open the app again.

It's the only showstopping bug I encounter, but I get it at least once/day. It seems to happen on very image-heavy pages, or ones where I've played a few embedded YouTube videos.

Same thing happens to me. New thread doesn't help, have to close the app and reopen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Did you try waiting or what

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, waiting how long? There's no loading bar or anything and as was just said, going to another thread still has the contents of the page it got "stuck" on from the previous thread. Does not seem like a waiting / slow loading issue.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Like I said, if there's a webm playing on the page it won't update with the new page's contents until the video finishes (or reaches the end of its loop). There might be some other stuff going on that causes a block too - I had something where a YouTube video wouldn't play, but then it did, and I had to wait for that. It needs testing though

But there's definitely a reproducible issue like this, and it's nothing to do with slow loading or anything. I know it looks like it's hanging but it isn't, and if you can wait it'll update eventually. Most of the webms people post are basically short clips anyway, so they don't take long to loop

Yeah it sucks and maybe sometimes it's quicker to just close and reopen the app, but I just want people to know what's going on and how you can deal with it, until it's fixed

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I don't know if the loading issue is the one I'm experiencing. It happens in any thread, regardless of content, and even waiting 5+ minutes the page never actually loads.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Like I said, if there's a webm playing on the page it won't update with the new page's contents until the video finishes (or reaches the end of its loop). There might be some other stuff going on that causes a block too - I had something where a YouTube video wouldn't play, but then it did, and I had to wait for that. It needs testing though

But there's definitely a reproducible issue like this, and it's nothing to do with slow loading or anything. I know it looks like it's hanging but it isn't, and if you can wait it'll update eventually. Most of the webms people post are basically short clips anyway, so they don't take long to loop

Yeah it sucks and maybe sometimes it's quicker to just close and reopen the app, but I just want people to know what's going on and how you can deal with it, until it's fixed

Sorry, I somehow missed your post. I'll keep an eye out for that and see if it is what I'm running into.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Today's update completely broke the app. I first tried opening it from the Play Store after the update, and it crashed. I also couldn't open it from the Bookmarks shortcut. After the first crash I submitted a report saying what my second sentence here said; should I generate another report with my username?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
App update is boned. Submitted a bunch of crash reports. Won't even open.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Also submitted a few reports. Clearing data and cache just got me to the login. After submitting user and pw, it crashed.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this awesome app. I use it way more frequently than somethingawful proper anymore. The only time I tend to have issues is when the site is down. So, again, thanks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You radiumed something, please fix.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Today's update completely broke the app. I first tried opening it from the Play Store after the update, and it crashed. I also couldn't open it from the Bookmarks shortcut. After the first crash I submitted a report saying what my second sentence here said; should I generate another report with my username?

hotsauce posted:

App update is boned. Submitted a bunch of crash reports. Won't even open.

Fart of Presto posted:

Also submitted a few reports. Clearing data and cache just got me to the login. After submitting user and pw, it crashed.

om nom nom posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this awesome app. I use it way more frequently than somethingawful proper anymore. The only time I tend to have issues is when the site is down. So, again, thanks.

Whizbang posted:

You radiumed something, please fix.

Wrong thread

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How is it the wrong thread if the pushed update is crashing?

Any way to revert to an older version of the app? Disabled auto update on my tablet in time, but not on my phone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 14, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

MisterBibs posted:

How is it the wrong thread if the pushed update is crashing?

Any way to revert to an older version of the app? Disabled auto update on my tablet in time, but not on my phone.

Because it's a beta update and this isn't the beta thread.

There's either the current stable apk in the OP, or you could leave the beta, link also in the OP

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oops. Sorry about that. Been in the beta for so long I forgot.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Was something changed in the theme css just now? Arc.dark.css no longer has black backgrounds.

If this was a beta change I'll go over there and hang myself or w/e

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As far as I know, I'm on the normal version and my dark theme got a lot lighter today.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'll go change random numbers and see if something gets fixed somehow, I guess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't know what Sereri changed specifically, but the new OLED theme looks about as dark as the old Dark one

Not sure about customising it though, I'm not at compooter to check

e- that reminds me, this was a while ago, but are y'all enjoying the improved bbcode stuff he put in? You can even do stuff like copy a URL to the clipboard, select some text and choose the URL tag in the menu, and it'll automatically wrap it in bbcode with the link set to the address you copied. It's way nicer and you don't need to remember how to make video tags or whatever - just thought I'd point it out in case people hadn't noticed it

I feel like a pop-up changelog would be a good plan for the first run of each new version, the code's already in there with the gif warnings etc

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 15, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

I don't know what Sereri changed specifically, but the new OLED theme looks about as dark as the old Dark one

Not sure about customising it though, I'm not at compooter to check

e- that reminds me, this was a while ago, but are y'all enjoying the improved bbcode stuff he put in? You can even do stuff like copy a URL to the clipboard, select some text and choose the URL tag in the menu, and it'll automatically wrap it in bbcode with the link set to the address you copied. It's way nicer and you don't need to remember how to make video tags or whatever - just thought I'd point it out in case people hadn't noticed it

I feel like a pop-up changelog would be a good plan for the first run of each new version, the code's already in there with the gif warnings etc

I try to put most stuff in the change log but 500 characters is sometimes not nearly enough.

Also yes, as of the new beta ( :argh: ) most people probably want to rename their custom css to whatever.oled.css
Or give the new oled one a shot.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I like the new OLED theme more than the dark theme, good job whoever worked on it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Dodoman posted:

I like the new OLED theme more than the dark theme, good job whoever worked on it.
Agreed. Normally I'm not a fan of dark app themes, but this looks clean and good.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Is there a way to opt in for beta access on a per-device basis, or is it per-user?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

I try to put most stuff in the change log but 500 characters is sometimes not nearly enough.

Nah I mean in the app, on upgrade or whatever. A little pop-up dialog that says what's new, so people know that there's stuff like embedded tweets to enable in the settings, stuff like that. I feel like things get added but people don't necessarily know about them sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

baka kaba posted:

Nah I mean in the app, on upgrade or whatever. A little pop-up dialog that says what's new, so people know that there's stuff like embedded tweets to enable in the settings, stuff like that. I feel like things get added but people don't necessarily know about them sometimes
Sleep As Android does a very nice little popup on new versions and I agree it's a great feature!