Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
siiiiiiiiick truuuck bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Meh, not lifted nearly enough. How are you going to compensate for your tiny penis with a truck that close to the ground???

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
by telling everyone you own a v6 mustang

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cultural Imperial posted:

by telling everyone you own a v6 mustang

:drat:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Even the framing of "increased police powers and reduced individual rights" may be too grand a motive for the Canadian security services. I personally have no way of knowing if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the motivation is just individuals trying to cop more over time or trying to impress an ambitious superior or otherwise advance fairly pedestrian career ambitions.

I'm not disagreeing that police agencies are constantly trying to increase their freedom of action and to protect themselves from scrutiny but I think it's worth remembering that there are fairly generic pressures encouraging the RCMP, CSIS and regional police forces to engage in mission creep and to constantly push for larger budgets.

I thought Gwynne Dyer's take on the recent attacks in Canada (from his book Don't Panic) is on point:

quote:

Don't Panic: ISIS, Terror, and Today's Middle East: pg 173-175
There is a good deal of public fretting in the West about what will happen when the Western volunteers who survive their time with ISIS come back to the country of their birth, radicalized by their experiences in service of the "caliphate," and proceed to wreak havoc at home. But they were already radicalized when they left, probably by material they access on the web, or they wouldn't have gone to the Middle East in the first place. And not many of them will be coming home again: they went there to live in Islamic State, not just to fight for it. If they try to leave they will be considered guilty of a form of apostasy and killed, and the few who do make it home will live out their lives under the most stringent form of security surveillance, whether in jail or out of it.

Of those few who return, one or two will no doubt commit terrorist acts anyway - no security system is perfect - but not nearly so many as will be committed by lone-wolf extremists who become radicalized on the web and never go to the Middle East at all. Men like Martin Couture-Rouleau, who ran over and killed a uniformed Canadian soldier in a parking lot in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, in October 2014 and was shot dead by police after a high-speed chase; and Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, who two days later killed a soldier standing guard at the National War Memorial in Ottawa and then ran up the hill with his rifle and into the Parliament Building (Prime Minister Stephen Harper hid himself in a cupboard), where he was shot down by the sergeant-at-arms. Both were converts to Islam, both had radicalized themselves on Islamist websites, and neither of them had ever left Canada. ISIS later claimed credit for both attacks, but it is doubtful that either man had ever been in touch with the organization.

The right response to this kind of attack is to do as little as possible. Capture or kill the perpetrators and by all means check for gaps in your security systems, but remember that, as with other crimes like murder or robbery, you cannot predict and stop every terrorist incident. Actually the success record of preventive action with regard to terrorist attacks is better than that with any other major crime, but once in a while an extremist will get through. It is highly unlikely to be a mass-casualty attack - those things are very rare, partly because the involvement of a number of people makes them easier to spot - but occasional lone-wolf terrorist attacks like these two Canadian cases in 2014 must be seen as just part of the cost of doing business in the twenty-first century.

The Canadian government's actual action, alas, was to change the law to give the security services greater powers at considerable expense to the civil liberties Canadians are otherwise guaranteed. This was a quite typical, although almost entirely irrelevant , official response, chosen because it pleased the public (whose fear had been whipped up by the media's normal tendency to obsess about terrorism) and because it serviced the purposes of both the government and the security services. It's foolish to ask the police or the secret services, "Do you need more powers?" because they will always say yes: it is in the nature of bureaucracies to seek opportunities to expand their control over their environment and they will seize on any passing event as a pretext to do so. But when that happens it is not really about terrorism; it's about power. ISIS and its ilk don't care about what Western countries to do mutilate their won civil liberties, except insofar as overreaction helps to alienate Western Muslims and make them easier to recruit

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Helsing posted:

Even the framing of "increased police powers and reduced individual rights" may be too grand a motive for the Canadian security services. I personally have no way of knowing if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the motivation is just individuals trying to cop more over time or trying to impress an ambitious superior or otherwise advance fairly pedestrian career ambitions.

I'm not disagreeing that police agencies are constantly trying to increase their freedom of action and to protect themselves from scrutiny but I think it's worth remembering that there are fairly generic pressures encouraging the RCMP, CSIS and regional police forces to engage in mission creep and to constantly push for larger budgets.

I agree with you there, I usually assume a push for an increased budget for 'anti-terrorism' or 'anti-drug' reasons (or whatever the Flavour of The Month is) comes more from a desire for overtime / more job security / shinier toys than an actual desire to set up a police state or something similar.

There certainly were a lot of pockets lined over the G20 summit in Toronto in terms of security theatre (and pork for projects that had nothing to do with security). At the same time, it was disturbing how quickly many Canadians were willing to dismiss concerns about police overreach. Airport security is another one of those things that could be chuckled at as a giant make-work project except that there's the darker side with no-fly lists and information sharing and such in the background.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

BattleMaster posted:

It astounds me that Albertans went from having high-earning tar sands jobs and laughing at everyone else to needing food banks and crying about having no future overnight. Like where did that money even go? Did no one think of saving money or investing it?

Different generation, but I had a choice between going into offshore oil and going back to university. I went back to school, my friend went offshore. Years later we ended up working for the same government department. Despite the buckets of money he made offshore we really weren't that far apart asset-wise. Being in a culture where getting drunk with the crew in Aberdeen and everyone deciding to fly to New York for breakfast does eat into the savings.

I think it's a bit like this study which purports to show that the neighbours of lottery winners are more likely to go bankrupt than others.. It's an economics study so there's a large anthill's worth of bugs in it, but it's still fun to point and laugh at whichever province the data came from.

I, of course, would never have this problem because I'm of superior intellect. :smuggo:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

David Corbett posted:

Oh, a lot of them probably did. In real estate. Idk if it's like this elsewhere in Canada, but there was a time when it seemed like nine tenths of all inner city and first-ring suburb housing ads pitched houses as an rental/investment first, a redevelopment opportunity second and a home last (if at all).

Anyway it's not necessarily true that the Albertans who were living high on the hog before are the ones crying and asking for money now. I know the Just World fallacy helps all of us sleep at night, but this recession - as usual - hits the most marginal the hardest. Were that it was only asinine boors losing their jobs!

This is pretty much bang on. People bought into the idea that their money was best served in real estate. Terrible market returns through the past decade helped convince them of that.

The worst part of this thread will always be the people celebrating the failures of others.

Or people falling for CI.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
So in all these heart wrenching articles where Albertan's are weeping about how the rest of Canada is turning their backs on them and now it's the governments turn to help them out... What help are they asking for exactly? Seeing a whole lot of "government should be helpinnnngggg" but nobody actually articulating what it is they want.

Like do these folks literally want the government to pay to maintain their overstretched standards of living until tar sands oil is profitable again and the jobs all come back?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Maybe they want the Federal and Provincial governments to start buying Albertan oil at $80/barrel

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

The Butcher posted:

So in all these heart wrenching articles where Albertan's are weeping about how the rest of Canada is turning their backs on them and now it's the governments turn to help them out... What help are they asking for exactly? Seeing a whole lot of "government should be helpinnnngggg" but nobody actually articulating what it is they want.

Like do these folks literally want the government to pay to maintain their overstretched standards of living until tar sands oil is profitable again and the jobs all come back?

"why won't you let us build a pipeline through your backyards?! You communist bullies!"

:qq:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember when any complaint about the destruction of pretty much every other source of income in the country because of our insanely high dollar was met with 'LOL why don't you just move to Calgary then?'

Now's the time to say 'LOL why don't you just move somewhere else and work there?'

Only the joke's on all of us because our dollar being stupid high for so long has hosed up this country and now all that's left is a giant banker/real estate agent circle jerk.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Maybe they want the Federal and Provincial governments to start buying Albertan oil at $80/barrel

Maybe some sort of national energy program

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

They don't want handouts, they want the government to "support the industry".

With handouts.

And deregulation.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

"why won't you let us build a pipeline through your backyards?! You communist bullies!"

:qq:

To be fair that's the one complaint I've seen clearly articulated but I'm not really getting how that would fix their economy. OK so the PM greenlights the pipeline tomorrow w/ no environmental assessments or restrictions at all, tosses in a few billion of subsidy money, and any protesters will be shot on sight. We can break ground next week.

You get a few thousand jobs for guys actually laying the pipe, but if the shits still not profitable to extract, what's the point of the pipe right now? I dig it's cheaper and more efficient then rail or road transport but there's no way that efficiency gets you back to even breaking even at current prices.

And once the initial construction jobs are done with the maintenance and ops only take a fraction of that amount of people to run.

Tochiazuma posted:

Maybe some sort of national energy program

Wait a minute... You guys might be onto something here. The government has made a commitment to fighting climate change, and also wants to stimulate the economy with infrastructure funding. We can kill two birds with one stone!

So here me out here... We pay to dig a giant concrete underground storage bunker, and the government buys the oil @ $80, and then we lock it away in the bunker. Lots of construction jobs, the oil patch is back online, and the oil stays in the ground instead of getting burned. Everyone wins!

Eagerly awaiting my Order of Canada for solving the crisis.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 16, 2016

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's ok to give bombardier a publicly traded company tens of billions of dollars, but theyre from the east not the insignificant west, gently caress all those companies out there, they deserve to lose their jobs for not being able to do it without the government bank rolling them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What is it you want exactly?

Government money to extract oil and sell it at a loss? The government to buy the oil above market rates? Government money to keep people on payroll and but out of the fields because the oil is worthless? Direct welfare payments to your bank account?

In what way are you expecting the government to intervene here?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dont want anything, i want people to lose their jobs, dont you know i graduated top of my class in humanities? aint no government bailout there

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I found this somewhere else on the internet but I think it belongs in this thread.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

What is it you want exactly?

Government money to extract oil and sell it at a loss? The government to buy the oil above market rates? Government money to keep people on payroll and but out of the fields because the oil is worthless? Direct welfare payments to your bank account?

In what way are you expecting the government to intervene here?

the gubmint can start by paying off that guy's 130k truck

debt forgiveness for all albertans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

At least it's a plan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

i dont want anything, i want people to lose their jobs, dont you know i graduated top of my class in humanities? aint no government bailout there

Oh OK, no problem, if that's what you want!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Do it ironically posted:

Wish Granted

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Trudeau should announce a 500million dollar plan to offer Albertans access to personal finance education.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Montreal should've dumped the raw sewage onto Albertas streets when they had the chance.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

I found this somewhere else on the internet but I think it belongs in this thread.

2019: President Trump calls to congratulate Prime Minister O'Leary on his majority Conservative government

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Montreal should've dumped the raw sewage onto Albertas streets when they had the chance.

But make sure you send it there in a freshly-built pipeline

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I am pro-pipeline that sends our collective poo poo and piss into Alberta

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Do it ironically posted:

it's ok to give bombardier a publicly traded company tens of billions of dollars, but theyre from the east not the insignificant west, gently caress all those companies out there, they deserve to lose their jobs for not being able to do it without the government bank rolling them

By keeping our aero tech expertise and industry, the government is much more likely to see long term pay-hahahahahahaha I can't do it with a straight face.
But seriously, keeping industry alive is kind of a good idea when our government spent sixteen years letting most of it die off I guess?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

It astounds me that Albertans went from having high-earning tar sands jobs and laughing at everyone else to needing food banks and crying about having no future overnight. Like where did that money even go? Did no one think of saving money or investing it?

I read financial statements for these morons as part of my job so I can tell you EXACTLY where the money goes.

trucks
insanely expensive housing with ridiculous mortgages
ATV's
Boats
Booze
child support.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

By keeping our aero tech expertise and industry, the government is much more likely to see long term pay-hahahahahahaha I can't do it with a straight face.
But seriously, keeping industry alive is kind of a good idea when our government spent sixteen years letting most of it die off I guess?

Wrong industry. It's manufacturing, not resource extraction, and it's east of Lloydminster.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

Bobmardier is actively trying to commit suicide and according to the Supreme Court we should help them do so.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The real up-and-coming industry is in ketchup.

Ketchup pipelines, to pipe French's from Leamington, Ontario to Fort MacMurray.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Leofish posted:

The real up-and-coming industry is in ketchup.

Ketchup pipelines, to pipe French's from Leamington, Ontario to Fort MacMurray.

Jesus Christ it's like all my dad loving talks about these days. Locally made ketchup: apparently a major loving issue for white people.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Vaccine refusal linked to measles outbreak

quote:

Measles, a disease that was considered eliminated 16 years ago in the U.S., has made a comeback in which a "substantial proportion" of the cases are associated with vaccine refusal, a study suggests.

The study, recently published in the March 15 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, says "the phenomenon of vaccine refusal" increases the risk for measles among individuals who are not vaccinated or refuse to get vaccinated, and also among those who are already fully vaccinated.

[...]

Researchers also said a higher rate of vaccine exemption or refusal in a community is associated with increased incidences of measles in that community, among persons with and without exemptions. The study points to a 2014 outbreak of measles that originated at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

Of the 111 measles cases reported from the outbreak, approximately half were unvaccinated individuals, most of whom were eligible for vaccination yet remained unvaccinated. "A substantial proportion of the U.S. measles cases in the era after elimination were intentionally unvaccinated," researchers concluded. "The phenomenon of vaccine refusal was associated with an increased risk for measles among people who refuse vaccines and among fully vaccinated individuals."

[...]

Anti-vaxx/alternative medicine idiots are basically a threat to public health. Don't we have some of these morons around in BC?

edit: this and other stories like the two complete loving retards who thought they'd treat their kid's meningitis with loving whey protein get me to pt6a-levels of angry. what the gently caress is wrong with people

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 16, 2016

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Drunk Canuck posted:

The Maritimes have been sending their human garbage to Alberta for quite some time now. Unfortunately the flow is reversed and it's all coming back.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

WilliamAnderson posted:

Jesus Christ it's like all my dad loving talks about these days. Locally made ketchup: apparently a major loving issue for white people.

It's kind of a big deal in Leamington and (how does my phone know what Leamington is?) growers of other things in the surrounding area. Also nationalism and all that stuff.

Speaking of irrational obsessions, recruiting centre stabbing guy was a failed engineering student who'd been struggling with mental illness. What is it about failing out of that particular program that makes people go all murdery? I flunked out of biology and all I got was a craving for orange juice every time Brian Krebs comes up in conversation.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Bombardier's entire management team should be fired. I mean no company management is perfect but holy poo poo this is "Oh the iphone won't be anything big" RIM levels of mismanagement.

In regards to the Ketchup thing, it's a way for people to support a business that makes a comparable and equal product using better ingredients and locally grown produce, therefore injecting money back into one's own economy. If it was like Hunt's ketchup naw gently caress that, it's terrible.

It's having an impact, you see how fast Loblaws back-tracked on having Heinz only in store? People are seeing more and more business leaving Canada and this is a little way they can have a say using their wallets.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 16, 2016

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Ketchup is nasty and made for children anyway. Just ban all ketchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
How dare you impune Leamington's (former) noble local economy and that one Stompin' Tom Connor song about ketchup loving potatoes.