Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

It's a series from noted Bad Game Dev Compile Heart.

The last one was hailed as being the first entry to have "gameplay that is actually kind of good in some ways" so that speaks to the rest of the series. People say in terms of writing, it's the "Family Guy" of anime games for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How is the Jak and Daxter collection? I've never played the series but I like me some ND games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

And if you enjoy P4G, you'll probably also enjoy Trails of Cold Steel, which is basically Falcom angrily vowing to make their own Persona 4 with blackjack and hookers.

Cold Steel has school trappings placed over the Trails first game formula, but if Tokyo Xanadu comes over, it'll fit that description waaaaay harder. It's Persona down a tee, Japanese highschoolers facing an intrusive otherworldly force by delving into randomized dungeons with gradually awakening superpowers and all.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 15, 2016

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And they can be real funny if you enjoy self-referencing humor.

Hmm. Well, if they put out a demo version, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the dissenting viewpoint.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the latest neptunia is a better game than persona 4 golden, hth

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SW4 Empires came out, Imma dl it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

NESguerilla posted:

How is the Jak and Daxter collection? I've never played the series but I like me some ND games.

I remember hearing that the Vita version has some framerate issues.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just bought the special edition of Estival Versus, ran me $74 Canadian for a Vita game. Please tell Trump to invade Canada and make game prices great again.

Really Pants posted:

And if you enjoy P4G, you'll probably also enjoy Trails of Cold Steel, which is basically Falcom angrily vowing to make their own Persona 4 with blackjack and hookers. Other good Vita games, not necessarily exlusive:

Cold Steel is someone at Falcom playing Final Fantasy Type-0, declaring it bullshit, then going out and making a game better than it in every way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think instead of comparing cold steel to other stuff, you should just say 'cold steel is a good game'

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

every game should be compared to p4g

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I still can't believe people tried fighting so hard for Type 0. I guess the unknown can be pretty attractive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

I still can't believe people tried fighting so hard for Type 0. I guess the unknown can be pretty attractive.
type 0 was a decent game imo and im glad it got released in the US

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, Type-0 isn't terrible it just doesn't live up to the hype but Cold Steel does pretty much everything it tried to do but better. Like say having an actual cast of characters!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cold steel's gameplay is nothing like type-0's though and frankly the plot isn't really like it either

it's got the military academy thing and that's about it

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NESguerilla posted:

The Vita ports are pretty poor on a technical level and frankly the Vita is poo poo for PS2 ports in general because they've designed for a controller with four extra buttons and the back/front touchscreens are not an acceptable replacement.

As for the games themselves:

The original is a competently executed 3D collect em up platformer. The Crash Bandicoot guys do Banjo-Kazooie.

Jak 2 plays the largely same but set in an openworld dystopian future city and is Shadow The Hedgehog levels of "the focus group said to make it more edgy". A lot of people hated this game for straying so far from the tone of the original, but unlike, say, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within the original was like a more competent version of Bubsy the Bobcat and the new story was told with some pretty decently voice acted and animated cut-scenes so It never really bothered me.

Jak 3 is just more Jak 2, but with a large desert environment and a larger focus on driving dune buggies around a large desert environment.

They took the next logical step and made the fourth game a combat oriented cart racer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wouldn't really say jak and daxter 2 and 3 are 'more edgy,' just have more of a plot. daxter spends the entire game making fun of the story's attempts at getting darker so it's hard to take it at face value.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe I never saw it but I remember surprisingly little complaining about Jak 2 even at the time. It's one of the most ridiculously extreme series swerves ever but the game was good and that style of platformer that Jak 1 was a part of was on its way out anyway.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jak 1 was a generic but kind of fun collectathon 3d platformer. Jak 2 was a bullshit hard darker and grittier game set in a dystopian city where you could steal vehicles from other people and had wanted levels and basically tried to be GTA but marketed for teenagers who grew up with 3d platformers. Jak 3 has a tone that's somewhere between the light heartedness of the first game and the edgy darkness of the second and instead goes for something kind of but not really similar to Mad Max, with a bigger emphasis on vehicles in a wasteland and exploring old ruins and didn't have as huge difficulty spikes as the second game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

did i open the wrong thread? everyone just talked someone out of Nepping, it couldn't be the Vita thread

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

on a cold lonely night you're gonna go on the psn store and see a nep game for under $10. then you'll be as hopeless as me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only bad nep games are the first two, the rest vary from decent to good to Actually Really Good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh, producing perfection isn't bad but it seriously lacks content so i guess it counts as a bad one

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

oh, producing perfection isn't bad but it seriously lacks content so i guess it counts as a bad one
Can't get that on PSTV anyway so I guess I'm saved

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

rebirth 2 was a huge pain to platinum, i'm glad 3 was more straightforward.

i'm also glad this new brush i got makes it easier to get my hands clean. perfectly clean. good boys have to be clean.

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

on a cold lonely night you're gonna go on the psn store and see a nep game for under $10. then you'll be as hopeless as me.

This is one of my deepest fears and the unavoidable future.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Be strong, Neato, for that way lies only madness and NepNep.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

im hashimoto irl

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Neato posted:

This is one of my deepest fears and the unavoidable future.

it's like a warm bath, that you kind of resent, but the colors are bright and you aren't thinking about your debt anymore, right? the eyes are really big and everyone is happy. happy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Vita thread, who is your favorite Nep?

I like Nepgear.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Endorph posted:

i wouldn't really say jak and daxter 2 and 3 are 'more edgy,' just have more of a plot. daxter spends the entire game making fun of the story's attempts at getting darker so it's hard to take it at face value.
The game opens with the previously silent protagonist vowing to kill the man responsible for his two years of imprisonment and torture while braking out of his restraints by going dark super sayan.

You're right that they handled the story with a good amount of self awareness and humour, but it's pretty obvious how much influence marketing had over direction the sequel took. Like I said I didn't particular care for the setting of the first game but I can see why people who really liked it wouldn't like the new direction.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Romancing SaGa 2 is getting a remake that is coming to the Vit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAAi-SONEk

ArtePiazza is behind it and it is coming out next week in Japan.

edit: The website is pretty cool
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/romasaga2/

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Id be a lot more excited about it if it had even the slightest chance of US release. I'm pretty hopefully about Scarlet Grace though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I like Nepgear.

same, she is self-motivated without being irritating

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square Enix will maybe sorta consider the Vita version of I Am Setsuna if enough people bitch about it.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/square-enix-consider-setsuna-ps-vita-localization-swell-demand

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

"we will do the thing you want if you send a bunch of pissy tweets"-a pr person who is already fired

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Persona 4 G is why I bought a Vita but it's really not the best reason to buy one.... seriously.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Schrodingers cat posted:

Persona 4 G is why I bought a Vita but it's really not the best reason to buy one.... seriously.

nver post again

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I like Nepgear.

Chie

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I own a vita and I have never finished P4G (but played P4 on PS2), am I allowed to post still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Stanos posted:

I own a vita and I have never finished P4G (but played P4 on PS2), am I allowed to post still

i will allow it, yes.