Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I recently bought this set from the same site. The reviews are all very positive about the stones. The "board" is just fabric, but that's fine and can be replaced with a wooden board down the road and you can still use the fabric one for travelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I looked at that one...but I've been playing 9x9 on a paper grid, and I desperately want to have a solid goban under my stones. It just feels SO much nicer.

The mini-me set comes with those same Bento Stones (and I think that 19x19 floppy board too)

EDIT: Yeah, the mini-me set is just the Bento set + a wood 9x9/13x13 board

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 16, 2016

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Added Dancer, pmrowla, and huzenhagen to ITGO.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Xom posted:

Added Dancer, pmrowla, and huzenhagen to ITGO.

Thank you

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
Forgetting preference for stone thickness or anything like that, they are good peeps at gogameguru. I got a 9x9/13x13 board from them and I like it. Not one hundred percent flawless but it looks nice and the flaws are things you really have to look for. Very good for the price.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I really love this portable roll up set but it seems like it's no longer for sale?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
looks like its not available anymore but i got this one and love it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054LX1HY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

with these stones:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FHSAGI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01

just wish i had someone to play on it -_-

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I too had a goban, but no one to play. Feels like a common lament.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Overwined posted:

Moreover it already has all of Lee Sedol's games up to the point he played AlphaGo. The real "learning" it will do will be at the hands of the developers as they analyze mistakes and fix the algorithms.

Hassim was pretty adamant, during the post game conference, about how Alphago didn't have Lee Sedol's games at all, but rather it had a few amateur games from the start and just played millions of times against itself to reach that point.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Overwined posted:

Welp, just won a game against a sandbagger by 0.5 points because he forgot to take a dead group of mine off the board. I did as well, but he was the first to hit done and I didn't bother to look it over. Serves him right. There's really no way someone who has once attained the rank of 2k is suddenly now a 17k player.

Can anyone comment on how long it takes to get back to your rank if you lose your KGS account to inactivity? Doesn't matter for me personally yet, I'm just curious.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
kgs seems to adjust the rank pretty quickly for new accounts. id guess 10 games or so and you should have a pretty accurate rank

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Could someone invite me into the group? Tigern

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

uXs posted:

As far as I know, it has 2 neural nets and a MCTS thing. Maybe something else as well but I forgot. I suppose they might be able to optimize some poo poo in the connections between everything, or maybe improve the MCTS a bit, but I think I read that they primarily still have a ways to go in improving the neural nets. They haven't reached the limit there.

And that will just be done by having it play itself. So it doesn't really have any algorithms to fix. Not in the classical way.

Doubt it.

What I'm wondering though, is this: AlphaGo doesn't give a poo poo about maximizing score, only about winning. That's why it plays slack but safe moves when it's sure it'll win, and why it goes crazy when it thinks it's behind. I wonder if they could change at least the last one: if it doesn't see a way out, it could go for keeping the difference as close as possible, so when the opponent makes a mistake it could as least profit from it. This wouldn't really work against an computer opponent but it might against a human. Forcing a human to not make a single mistake in the endgame would make it stronger, maybe.

That's what it does though. In the last game Lee was able to pull off a tesuji, but then he let up a little, so AlphaGo was able to do what it does best and ever so gradually put itself back in a position to win.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Could I be added to ITGO as well? User name b00yah

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
Could I get an ITGO invite please, kgs name is "jjvibrams". Thanks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How's the Android KGS client? Looks like it hasn't been updated in ages...but if it still works, I might want to drop the $10 to have it on my tablet.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
found this from sensei's library which is pretty cool

quote:

Suppose every particle in the universe (eg: sub atomic. electrons, quarks, etc. etc. Overestimate and let's say 10^90) was evaluating one board position every planck time (the smallest unit of time. Approximately 5x10^44 planck time per second)) for the entire life of the universe (~14 billion years, or 4x10^17 seconds).

How many board positions have been evaluated?

5x10^44 * 4x10^17 * 10^90 ~= 10^151 board positions.

Let's also calculate the maximum number of boards as 3^361. [3^(19*19)] That's 1.7x10^172.

So that means it would take the universe 10^21 more 14 billion year periods to evaluate all the board positions.

So solving go using brute force is simply impossible. An entire universe dedicated solely to this task could not do it.

is this accurate, all you computer maths people? or is there some hypothetical way to compute things more efficiently than that (already seemingly extremely ridiculously efficient) way?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Some nonsense with hypothetical quantum computing might speed things up a bit..but that math looks about right

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It is incorrect for a variety of reasons including but not limited to stones in a state of capture being counted weirdly and identical boards due to rotation being counted multiple times. I'm not sure how far it's off, but it's probably not enough to change the conclusion significantly. It also doesn't account for the state of which player is the active player, which could theoretically be deduced from the board but whatever

Also that's only for trying to completely solve the game which is dumb. Aggressive pruning of the search space is pretty key to be able to do anything

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 16, 2016

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Computational complexity is a terrible way to measure game complexity. Warcraft 1 has infinite complexity if you measure possible game states but is a really simple game for humans. That's why you should stop wanking about how many game states there are in go, because it doesn't matter at all unless you're a computer trying to brute force it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Because of the capturing rule, there are more like 2.1*10^170 legal board positions, not 1.7*10^172 (see https://tromp.github.io/go/legal.html). Captured stones don't make a difference at all under Chinese rules, so I think it would be silly to worry about that in the "go positions" question. Since the vast majority of positions look different at all 4 rotations (or 8 with reflections) you can divide by 4 (resp. 8) and be pretty darn close to the answer if you count rotated positions the same.

In any case, it's still about right. But also, everything the two posts above me said.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Added Tigern and b00yah. Somebody else already added jjvibrams.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the aftermath of the Lee Sedol/AlphaGo games, it's been really fascinating to me to see the reactions from the peanut gallery that is the Internet.

While I'm sure the vast majority of comments along the lines of "well here comes Skynet!" are facetious, there have been a handful of ones that seem to at least have some thought behind them, and raise actual concerns about AIs being used for things like education or law enforcement. I think people have a really unrealistic idea of what exactly AIs can do, based on Hollywood depictions though...what's AlphaGo gonna do to us if it "goes rogue"? Play more Go at us? It's a program designed to do one task; it can't exactly take over the military or something.

One of the other big categories of discussion I've seen seems to center around the argument "well you could just unplug AlphaGo's computers from the wall socket and win!" This seems like a really odd avenue to pursue...if you shut off AlphaGo, you haven't beaten it at Go, you've prevented it from playing at all. And you can "shut off" a human too, by drugging, knocking unconscious, or just straight up killing. And unlike a computer, which can be plugged back in and rebooted, a human doesn't come back from that last one.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I think the concern is that alphaGO primarily became so good at it by playing games against itself rather then imitating the best human players.

There's lots and lots of jobs that can be replaced by robots and computers (including my own field of anaesthesia) given how so much gets reduced down to flow charts in the name of standardisation and efficiency.

In theory we should be welcoming an age where computers do our jobs and we can all go away and do three degrees for the sake of learning and be full time parents whereas in reality we're headed for a new wave of feudalism.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

In a world where alphago's strength and stronger is widely and easily accessible, what motivation can there be to improve at the game when you or anyone else could just use a computer instead?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AdorableStar posted:

In a world where alphago's strength and stronger is widely and easily accessible, what motivation can there be to improve at the game when you or anyone else could just use a computer instead?

there are already plenty of bots stronger than you. do you use those bots?

you had a teacher for a while, didnt you? did you go to him for every single move in every game?

i think you already know the answer to this question.

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

i think people still play chess, too

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I love reductive arguments too!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
khels plz

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
kgs keeps deleting my account can I get invited back into kgs? this time, I swear, I'm going to play games

zestym

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ive found a new source of motivation, instead of caring about my rank or wins, im just trying to get my number of games played higher. its still a 'number next to my name' that my stupid brain can get gratification from, but it actually encourages me to play instead of making me hesitant. yay for tricking your brain

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

totino boy posted:

there are already plenty of bots stronger than you. do you use those bots?

you had a teacher for a while, didnt you? did you go to him for every single move in every game?

i think you already know the answer to this question.

The point is that the bots are now stronger than professionals who have dedicated their entire lives to the game with talent.

"
you had a teacher for a while, didnt you? did you go to him for every single move in every game? "

Unlike a professional strength bot, that teacher would not be available on command.

Testiclops posted:

i think people still play chess, too

Besides being boring, it's one of the reasons I don't play chess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AdorableStar posted:

The point is that the bots are now stronger than professionals who have dedicated their entire lives to the game with talent.

"
you had a teacher for a while, didnt you? did you go to him for every single move in every game? "

Unlike a professional strength bot, that teacher would not be available on command.

Besides being boring, it's one of the reasons I don't play chess.
Playing against bots is optional. Playing against humans is more fun, so it's what people will do.

We could put a machine on the pitcher mound that could throw a baseball faster than a person could hit with a bat. Does that make baseball obsolete?

Just because computers can complete activities faster or better than people doesn't make those activities obsolete unless you have a poisonous attitude towards leisure hobbies.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

Playing against bots is optional. Playing against humans is more fun, so it's what people will do.

Until those people use the computers to play for them in their own games to sandbag.

Pander posted:

We could put a machine on the pitcher mound that could throw a baseball faster than a person could hit with a bat. Does that make baseball obsolete?

I think it pretty much does. Because computers can do things better than people, those activities are obsolete and should be replaced by computers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of "playing against humans", does anyone want to play a couple 9x9s with me, and point out all my flaws? The 27k bot on KGS just kicked my teeth in, and the only other human I found playing on a small board wasn't particularly communicative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AdorableStar posted:

I think it pretty much does.

Apologies for the double post...but...what?? Are you...are you being serious right now?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If you want people playing 9x9, Online Go is rife with them.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

jivjov posted:

Apologies for the double post...but...what?? Are you...are you being serious right now?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

jivjov posted:

Based on his past history of RANK > EVERYTHING type posts, he's probably hyper-competitive to the point of having absolutely no sense of fun playing except when he wins and ranks up.

Or a troll.

Either way, he's not going to be convinced by arguments here.