Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Backyarr posted:

Do you think this method would work? The switches look to be identical but I could be wrong.

Also, that picture of the insides of your mouse sounds appealing, please do it!

Yeah, I think that method would work real well; check my post history in this thread.

Also, it turns out that the inside of my mouse + flash is kinda gross, it picks up all the tiny bits of dust that are inside it. Still, here are the current cuts of my mouse;

For reference, the tilt right button stopped working and I replaced it with what I had, removing what was there is why I took the top board off. Unfortunately, doing so kind of wrecked some of the pads/their traces, and required some repair work which involved soldering onto the side button set's connector. Removing the shroud I think inevitably caused further openings to damage the pads holding the connector's pins in, and required more work to restore functionality.

Also at some point I lost both springs that support the wheel (I made replacements, but you really don't want to lose them) and one of the screws.

Hope that's at least somewhat interesting to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Ok so I have a piece of poo poo cheap-rear end Sharkk mouse that I bought to replace the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro mouse that died on me after like a decade of service.

And it sucks, I hate it. Mostly, because the thumb buttons are arranged horizontally. One forward, one back.

I have heard a few guys on Mumble recommending I get this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718RYj8YNCL._SL1500_.jpg

But I don't want horizontal.

I want this setup for my thumb buttons:

Except, Microsoft discontinued the Sidewinder a long drat time ago, so I want to buy a current-day mouse.

I've seen all kinds of poo poo with loving keyboards and poo poo on the thumb, I don't want all that business, just two buttons, one down one up. Programmable is ideal, so I can bind my mumble PTT key to it.

Can anybody recommend such a mouse?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Keshik posted:

Ok so I have a piece of poo poo cheap-rear end Sharkk mouse that I bought to replace the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro mouse that died on me after like a decade of service.

And it sucks, I hate it. Mostly, because the thumb buttons are arranged horizontally. One forward, one back.

I have heard a few guys on Mumble recommending I get this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718RYj8YNCL._SL1500_.jpg

But I don't want horizontal.

I want this setup for my thumb buttons:

Except, Microsoft discontinued the Sidewinder a long drat time ago, so I want to buy a current-day mouse.

I've seen all kinds of poo poo with loving keyboards and poo poo on the thumb, I don't want all that business, just two buttons, one down one up. Programmable is ideal, so I can bind my mumble PTT key to it.

Can anybody recommend such a mouse?
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B0086UK7IQ
2 buttons, one up and one down.

And then some more....

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm thinking I need a new mouse. I love my Razer Deathadder, but I didn't know Razer was apparently a terrible manufacturer when I bought it. Is there anything similar out there that is just as good for games, but actually made well? I've taken a liking to the Zowie and Mionix mice mentioned in the thread.

I saw a lot of recommendations for the Logitech g502 , but it's too angular and busy for me. I just need the scroll wheel, the two thumb buttons, and good accuracy/polling rates.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Travic posted:

I'm thinking I need a new mouse. I love my Razer Deathadder, but I didn't know Razer was apparently a terrible manufacturer when I bought it. Is there anything similar out there that is just as good for games, but actually made well? I've taken a liking to the Zowie and Mionix mice mentioned in the thread.

I saw a lot of recommendations for the Logitech g502 , but it's too angular and busy for me. I just need the scroll wheel, the two thumb buttons, and good accuracy/polling rates.

You might consider the ASUS ROG Gladius if you really like the Deathadder form factor.

I'm also looking for alternatives to a left-handed Deathadder so if anyone can recommend anything with that form factor, please do!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 16, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Travic posted:

Mionix Naos 7000.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

astral posted:

You might consider the ASUS ROG Gladius if you really like the Deathadder form factor.

I'm also looking for alternatives to a left-handed Deathadder so if anyone can recommend anything with that form factor, please do!

Thanks. I'll look into that one.

ColHannibal posted:

Mionix Naos 7000.

Cool. When I was researching it I saw a lot about the Mionix Castor. How does it compare?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Travic posted:

Thanks. I'll look into that one.

Cool. When I was researching it I saw a lot about the Mionix Castor. How does it compare?

I have both, I used a g500 forever and used my whole hand like you would on a deathadder, and the g502 just felt small to me and I could not keep a good grip on it. I got the castor on mass drop but it really was not working with my meaty hands as my pinkie and ring finger struggled to find room. As far as I can tell it has the same internals as a castor, but a shape that for me is the most comfortable I have ever used, the thumb button placement is spot on for me and it does not have any of that horrible "soft touch" aka slimy dimple feeling plastic on the sides everyone insists on using now.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ColHannibal posted:

I have both, I used a g500 forever and used my whole hand like you would on a deathadder, and the g502 just felt small to me and I could not keep a good grip on it. I got the castor on mass drop but it really was not working with my meaty hands as my pinkie and ring finger struggled to find room. As far as I can tell it has the same internals as a castor, but a shape that for me is the most comfortable I have ever used, the thumb button placement is spot on for me and it does not have any of that horrible "soft touch" aka slimy dimple feeling plastic on the sides everyone insists on using now.

Ah ok. I just use my fingers so the Castor may be as good and fit my hand better. Thanks for the advice.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen 4 different sales on the G602 over the last week, most of them with a pretty steep discount, and all of them running until out of stock.

I'm pretty sure a G602 replacement is due soon.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Travic posted:

Ah ok. I just use my fingers so the Castor may be as good and fit my hand better. Thanks for the advice.

If you are interested in smallish mice like that then perhaps also take a look at the Roccat Kone Pure Military.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do I need Logitech Gaming Software to be running for me to use my G600?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do I need Logitech Gaming Software to be running for me to use my G600?

Not really, no. It has onboard memory IIRC, so you should be able to run the software, set it to onboard with whatever settings you want, and then turn it off.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm having a problem with my mouse's scroll wheel. I just started noticing it today. When I spin the wheel too fast it doesn't scroll, or scrolls one or two ticks in the opposite direction. The faster it goes the more signals seem to be missed. I'm running Windows 7 and I have a vague memory of having this problem before at some point in my life. Anyone know what could be happening?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm having a problem with my mouse's scroll wheel. I just started noticing it today. When I spin the wheel too fast it doesn't scroll, or scrolls one or two ticks in the opposite direction. The faster it goes the more signals seem to be missed. I'm running Windows 7 and I have a vague memory of having this problem before at some point in my life. Anyone know what could be happening?

What mouse?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ColHannibal posted:

What mouse?

Some ergonomic mouse I got off Amazon. Five-button, no special drivers. I can look up the exact product name/page if it'll really help.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Some ergonomic mouse I got off Amazon. Five-button, no special drivers. I can look up the exact product name/page if it'll really help.

If it's a Logitech it's got a decent warranty and they will replace it, if not try taking it apart and clean the lump of dead skin and dust that's inside on the switches.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jewel Repetition posted:

A lot of mouse wheels have some spokes that roll by an optical sensor inside the mouse. Sometimes they get too much dust or crud in them so they don't read scrolling correctly. If you're handy you might try opening it up and seeing if there's stuff in there you can clean out.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Reposting this in the right thread!

I currently have a Logitech G5 and it's been dying slowly over the last year or two and now the scrolling has crapped out. It's usable otherwise but that's kind of a pain. I've had it for like 8 years at this point so I think it's due for a replacement.

What's the equivalent mouse nowadays? I see the Logitech G602 and the like but I don't need nor want all those programmable buttons. I don't really play games much any more and when I do it's not hardcore enough for me to need 18 million macros and 17 sensitivity settings. I like having the scroll wheel and forward/back buttons along with the comfy shape of the G5. So I want something comfortable and with those two and not much else. The closest I've seen is the MX Master but that's wireless. I'm a bit old school in thought about wireless lag but I'll admit I really haven't kept up to date on the status of it. Negligible now? The whole need a charge thing is a bit annoying, given it still needs a cord to do so, thus defeating the point of wireless.

TL;DR: Any suggestions for a comfy, high performing mouse without a billion buttons?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Reposting this in the right thread!

I currently have a Logitech G5 and it's been dying slowly over the last year or two and now the scrolling has crapped out. It's usable otherwise but that's kind of a pain. I've had it for like 8 years at this point so I think it's due for a replacement.

What's the equivalent mouse nowadays? I see the Logitech G602 and the like but I don't need nor want all those programmable buttons. I don't really play games much any more and when I do it's not hardcore enough for me to need 18 million macros and 17 sensitivity settings. I like having the scroll wheel and forward/back buttons along with the comfy shape of the G5. So I want something comfortable and with those two and not much else. The closest I've seen is the MX Master but that's wireless. I'm a bit old school in thought about wireless lag but I'll admit I really haven't kept up to date on the status of it. Negligible now? The whole need a charge thing is a bit annoying, given it still needs a cord to do so, thus defeating the point of wireless.

TL;DR: Any suggestions for a comfy, high performing mouse without a billion buttons?
G502 is what you want.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Can we change the thread title to Mouse Megathread: Buy The G502, drat It

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

There are plenty of legit bad things about the g502. It may be ~the best mouse~ but it's beating the competition by inches, not miles.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I figured the G502 was going to recommended. I take it the extra buttons don't get in the way? That was my main hesitation with it.

To re-ask out of curiousity, how bad a wireless mice now? Still pretty laggy I'd guess?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The performance oriented ones are much better but need to recharge frequently I think?

I don't find the extra buttons on the 502 get in the way for me. I usually bind the thumb ones to PTT or UI stuff.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If you don't object to the shape, the g303 is Logitech's best mouse. You'll need to test drive to determine this, though

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Alrighty, so the G502 and G303 to try out. Probably leaning towards the 502 I think. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestions.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I use a G502 and adore it, but I was looking for a mouse for my laptop. I'd rather get something in the <40 range. An extra button or three would be great, but not necessary.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Since my steel series sensei now has a broken scroll wheel I need a new mouse. I've been looking at the Logitech MX Master but since I am a gamer sometimes I'm not sure that it is suitable. Since I don't play any competitive games, only play shooters single player and the quickest games I'm likely to be playing are the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (once the dlc is on sale in the summer) Would that mouse be ok?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

HERAK posted:

Since my steel series sensei now has a broken scroll wheel I need a new mouse. I've been looking at the Logitech MX Master but since I am a gamer sometimes I'm not sure that it is suitable. Since I don't play any competitive games, only play shooters single player and the quickest games I'm likely to be playing are the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (once the dlc is on sale in the summer) Would that mouse be ok?

Yea it will be fine, it's one of the most refined wireless experiences.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

HERAK posted:

Yea it will be fine, it's one of the most refined wireless experiences.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to replace my Logitech G400 for under $80.

I like the G400 a lot, but I'm hoping for two things:
1) More buttons
2) Buttons that are placed a little bit better. The button on the left side of the mouse furthest out is a bit hard to reach so I never really use it.

I'm on my computer all the time programming and gaming.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, are any wireless mice worth it? I looked at a few and it sounds like the charge doesn't last long.

*Edit* Just looked at the wireless mouse mentioned above. Looks a bit awkward, is it more comfortable than a mouse such as what I have?

Swartz fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 22, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

G502, G602 if you want a wireless, if you don't mind a non-ergo and don't need a whole keyboard stuck on the side of the mouse I think the new Roccat Kova is another good option (beware that there is an older mouse with the same name that doesn't have the extra buttons).

There are other ergo mice commonly recommended in this thread, but I don't think any of them meet the extra buttons requirement. Some have a couple buttons behind the scroll wheel but personally I find that placement pretty useless.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://techreport.com/news/29903/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-beckons-gamers-to-cut-the-cord g900 announced

g502 sensor (i guess, it's 12,000dpi); wireless/wired modes; ambidextrous shape; lighter than g502 by 14g (!); 32 hrs battery life if the LEDs are turned off; hollow scroll wheel

$150 though. I just hope a g503 of sorts is coming. Incorporate these g900 weight-saving techniques and i'll buy one

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 24, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Cool mouse, I'd have picked one of those up instead of a 602 if my 700 waited to die.

That article reeks of Old Nerd. Latency hasn't been an issue for years and years but he opens up with it like a good 90s nerd.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TheQat posted:

http://techreport.com/news/29903/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-beckons-gamers-to-cut-the-cord g900 announced

g502 sensor (i guess, it's 12,000dpi); wireless/wired modes; ambidextrous shape; lighter than g502 by 14g (!); 32 hrs battery life if the LEDs are turned off; hollow scroll wheel

$150 though. I just hope a g503 of sorts is coming. Incorporate these g900 weight-saving techniques and i'll buy one

This one has a lot more info: http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum/
Also explains what they are saying about the latency thing, it's not specifically related to wireless latency, but mouse processing latency in general.

Yeah it's the PMW-3366 which is the G502 and G303 sensor.
It says it's chargeable, so I guess it has an internal battery? And it still weights 14g less than the G502? That's crazy, do they make the G502 out of iron or something? But I guess you can just use it as a wired mouse if that's what you want too.

Thumb buttons are held on by magnets and are swappable. So you don't have them on both sides, just whichever one you want.
Sounds like the mouse comes with buttons for both the left and right side, as well as covers for both sides. So you can choose to have no side buttons, just on-side, or both sides. That would explain the button count, as there are no buttons adjacent to the LMB like there is with the G502.

Sounds like they are doing something with the LMB/RMB clicks, not really clear on what the actual difference is yet though.
E: Looks like there's just a mechanical pivot for the buttons. But probably the same old switches internally. The pivot is supposed to make the force required to click a lot lighter and more consistent? I dunno, that's like the last thing on my mind when it comes to buttons, I worry more about when they'll eventually die from double-click related issues.

Everything but the pricetag looks like a huge winner on this one so far. Comes out on March 31, gonna have my eyeballs pealed for this one.

E: New mousewheel too. Looks like it's hollow, so they probably lose a whole lot of weight there. Very nice!

quote:

It is not as significant because the mass is reduced by almost 50%, but if you shake the mouse then you can hear it.

Sounds like the battery weighs 15g. First thing you can expect to see is someone opening up the thing to see if it's removable. Would only weight 92g without the battery :eyepop:

quote:

The battery is an internal 15g LiPol unit that is not designed to be removed except for appropriate disposal/recycling after end-of-life of the product. Technically it could be feasible but it requires a significant amount of disassembly and warranty-voiding. And a really tiny torx bit.

E2: Yup, confirmed if you are a crazy person you can remove the battery and the mouse will still work fine, from a Logitech employee:

quote:

It works even if the battery is not present.

quote:

The battery is a rectangle that goes from approximately the top of the DPI indicators to the bottom of the G logo. You can see an image that gives an indication of its physical size in the PC Gamer article. Removing the battery will take a significant amount of weight out of the product (nearly 15%), and will definitely change the way it feels as it will rebalance toward the front.

It is a wireless mouse and was designed to be used with the battery inside it.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 24, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thread title needs updating: Should I buy a $150 mouse?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does it come in a kit form for less? I'd put that together.

I'm considering trying out the Tek Syndicate mouse they produced. They went minimalistic with a Pixart PWM 3310 sensor, no software, and preset DPI levels. Their goal was an accurate mouse with a low cost.

http://www.epicpants.com/t-shirts/tek-syndicate-gaming-mouse-standard-issue

It's like $35 + 10 shipping but it seems like it might be a cool basic good mouse. Has anyone taken the plunge?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looks like some kind of Batmouse.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rexxed posted:

Does it come in a kit form for less? I'd put that together.

Haha, yeah I was getting model airplane flashbacks myself. I think that's the most complicated mouse I've ever seen.

quote:

I'm considering trying out the Tek Syndicate mouse they produced. They went minimalistic with a Pixart PWM 3310 sensor, no software, and preset DPI levels. Their goal was an accurate mouse with a low cost.

http://www.epicpants.com/t-shirts/tek-syndicate-gaming-mouse-standard-issue

It's like $35 + 10 shipping but it seems like it might be a cool basic good mouse. Has anyone taken the plunge?

Most of the talk on it was pretty negative. Not a super great shape, bad DPI steps (500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000), sniper button is fixed at 250DPI, weighs 125g without cord (more than the G502) because it has weights added on the inside, no software of any sort. It's a no-name company throwing OEM parts together, doesn't even sound like there's any warranty or support.

If you want a dirt cheap mouse with a 3310, you're probably better off going for a Roccat Kone (which is $40 and potentially free shipping from Amazon). Or just spring for $50 for a Castor or Naos 7000 instead.

Not sure if there are any better cheaper options for that sensor right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Friendly reminder to people who don't like space ship styling, Mionix exists and makes an amazing product.

Just don't buy from mass drop.