Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
At first I didn't care for the format much but when I started reading them mostly on my phone it was like "oh I see why this works so well" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

I wish foxtoon had an english version like line webtoon because apparently there's a bunch of bl webtoons published on it

Naver's really the only company to have moved towards globalization.

Lezhin is supposed to be working towards it given some articles I've translated at work but I haven't particularly seen any signs.

Lezhin is also Pay-to-Read so I dunno how well it would work in the West. Line Webtoons are available for free.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think the R19 comics will ever come to the West. It just seems so unlikely.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

At first I didn't care for the format much but when I started reading them mostly on my phone it was like "oh I see why this works so well" lol

Ironically the only webtoon I've read on a phone is The Breaker, which is in traditional format.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i really hate the webtoon format, i can't think of a webtoon i've actually enjoyed so far

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't like the webtoon format, it seems real easy to waste space

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
TATE your monitor to read korean webtoons

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lmao

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Lezhin is also Pay-to-Read so I dunno how well it would work in the West. Line Webtoons are available for free.

yeah, there's that issue

The group translating Raising a Bat apparently got permission to put out their translations provided they stuck to the chapters available for free which I thought was pretty nice of them since they could have just shut it down entirely.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mainly stick with horror or comedy webtoons. I've pretty much dropped all story webtoons like Girls of the Wild or Distant Sky or Bastard.

Hive is the only exception.

I love the old man.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nice!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gramps is awesome and mostly the reason I'm still reading HIVE

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gramps is awesome and mostly the reason I'm still reading HIVE

Given all the poo poo that's been revealed about him it keeps looking like he'll be the final boss or something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Though his motivations don't really scream final boss.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I sometimes like reading Hive in Korean and then reading the corresponding chapter in English to compare the translations and reader responses.

Koreans like making a lot of jokes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Friday is something I read only in English because the Korean version finished a long time ago and is behind a paywall.

http://www.webtoons.com/en/thriller/friday/list?title_no=388

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Given all the poo poo that's been revealed about him it keeps looking like he'll be the final boss or something.

he's definitely shady but I keep seeing him as more of an antihero, I guess he could end up like that though

I'm mostly reading story ones and romances, Winter Woods is one of my favorites because the art is so pretty when they aren't halfassing it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

he's definitely shady but I keep seeing him as more of an antihero, I guess he could end up like that though

I'm mostly reading story ones and romances, Winter Woods is one of my favorites because the art is so pretty when they aren't halfassing it

How far have you gotten in Hive?

I think the webtoon format enables artists to take more creative approaches to art and work with colors but sometimes transitioning between scenes can be confusing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

i really hate the webtoon format, i can't think of a webtoon i've actually enjoyed so far

Uhhh the 3 minute show about the girl who eats food?!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like when webtoons suddenly have music for big story moments. Makes it more dramatic.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Or in the case of About Death, makes it very somber. About Death was interesting though. When I saw Mind Game, it reminded me of About Death with the transforming God we cannot truly understand.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

How far have you gotten in Hive?

I think the webtoon format enables artists to take more creative approaches to art and work with colors but sometimes transitioning between scenes can be confusing.

I read HIVE weekly so I'm current with the English release. On Line Webtoons I'm following Noblesse, HIVE, S.I.D., Catharsis, Untouchable, Winter Woods, and Orange Marmalade (which is awful and I'm not sure why I keep reading it)

and yeah it's fun when they try out different stuff, a few chapters back Winter Woods had music that played and I know others have done that but it was the first time I'd actually read one that had some mood music attached and it was neat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I like when webtoons suddenly have music for big story moments. Makes it more dramatic.

Distant Sky had music for certain chapters that really added to the feel.

That being said I dropped it because every chapter ended on a loving cliffhanger. It was good till the end of S2 though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I read HIVE weekly so I'm current with the English release. On Line Webtoons I'm following Noblesse, HIVE, S.I.D., Catharsis, Untouchable, Winter Woods, and Orange Marmalade (which is awful and I'm not sure why I keep reading it)

and yeah it's fun when they try out different stuff, a few chapters back Winter Woods had music that played and I know others have done that but it was the first time I'd actually read one that had some mood music attached and it was neat.

Is Orange Marmalade the one about vampires that got turned in a K-Drama?

Or is that Cheese in the Trap, which was also turned into a K-Drama?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uhhh the 3 minute show about the girl who eats food?!

webtoons are the korean webcomics that are designed to be read on phones so they're mostly vertical in layout with lots of empty space

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yeah, vampires in Orange Marmalade.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The author of HIVE makes an appearance in The Sound of Your Heart.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, there are K-dramas of everything.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Orange Marmalade is about vampires so maybe? I don't follow live action adaptions for the most part so not sure. Cheese in the Trap has never appealed to me but I kinda want to read The Stories of Those Around Me because I liked Salty Studio and I think they're by the same person. (e: Stories/Salty Studio by the same person, not Cheese in the Trap -- they all get recommended together when I look at stuff lol)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Yeah, vampires in Orange Marmalade.

Cool, I'm right for once.

Allarion posted:

To be fair, there are K-dramas of everything.

I loving hate K-dramas. Everyone else in my family enjoys them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The author of HIVE makes an appearance in The Sound of Your Heart.

lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Orange Marmalade is about vampires so maybe? I don't follow live action adaptions for the most part so not sure. Cheese in the Trap has never appealed to me but I kinda want to read The Stories of Those Around Me because I liked Salty Studio and I think they're by the same person. (e: Stories/Salty Studio by the same person, not Cheese in the Trap -- they all get recommended together when I look at stuff lol)

http://www.webtoons.com/search?searchMode=AUTHOR&keyword=omyo

Yeah according to this they are by the same author.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cheese in the Trap is only interesting cause the main dude is a loving sociopath so it's really hard to tell whether he's genuine, or if he's just a manipulative jerk.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like K-dramas cause they go further than shoujos generally do, and only upset you with other improbable circumstances.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's weird how they changed everyone's names in Bastard to English names, cause I don't think that happens for other webtoons?

Like it's weird to read a Korean webtoon and suddenly:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
cool I thought so but I always just look at it on my phone and thought it wasn't showing who the author was on salty studio but turns out I'm actually just blind and wasn't reading small light colored text on a light background well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I like K-dramas cause they go further than shoujos generally do, and only upset you with other improbable circumstances.

They're so cliched.

Someone will get hit by a car.
Mother-in-laws are bitches.
Fathers are negligent.
Poor girl and rich guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd like to say that I'm joking but I sincerely hate Korean dramas and I get overly irritated and annoyed whenever I hear my family watching them on television.

• Locked thread