Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Literally the marvel devil? I forget his name, Mephisto? Why did he do that?

e: okay I remembered his name and googled it and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day haha that's pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not in Newspaper Spiderman continuity!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tunicate posted:

Not in Newspaper Spiderman continuity!

Spider-Verse got me back into comic books. I got the online subscription thing to Marvel just so I could see more Gwen and Spider-Ham (who is a spider that got bitten by a radioactive pig, which is why he feels no remorse for loving the taste of pork).

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 14, 2016

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just watched Kingsmen the other day, and it reminded me of the 'secret spy agency/martial arts training' trope that annoys me most: The shoot-your-puppy test.

This bugged me because I assumed they were going to subvert it and they didn't. It felt like a fake out where you passed the test by not being a psycho that will shoot a puppy for no reason. Turns out that's exactly who they were looking for.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Krinkle posted:

Literally the marvel devil? I forget his name, Mephisto? Why did he do that?

e: okay I remembered his name and googled it and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day haha that's pretty dumb.

So they thought they should dissolve Spider-man's marriage to make him more relatable to comic readers, but now he's the head of his own corporation. Amazing.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

This bugged me because I assumed they were going to subvert it and they didn't. It felt like a fake out where you passed the test by not being a psycho that will shoot a puppy for no reason. Turns out that's exactly who they were looking for.

That's the whole point. You're supposed to expect a trick, because the earlier tests with the parachute and the train tracks were tricks. But the Kingsmen are terrible people and they actually want to recruit puppy murderers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gaunab posted:

So they thought they should dissolve Spider-man's marriage to make him more relatable to comic readers, but now he's the head of his own corporation. Amazing.

Everyone relates to Spider-Trump.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Everyone relates to Spider-Trump.

On topic I don't like when someone's remembering something, and it flashes to their memories, and they're in the third person. I don't remember in sweeping camera shots of myself in a field!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Squinty posted:

That's the whole point. You're supposed to expect a trick, because the earlier tests with the parachute and the train tracks were tricks. But the Kingsmen are terrible people and they actually want to recruit puppy murderers.

At least the Unsullied do it loving right. Or die in the process.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

On topic I don't like when someone's remembering something, and it flashes to their memories, and they're in the third person. I don't remember in sweeping camera shots of myself in a field!

Robocop 1 is pretty much the only thing that does it right. Every flashback is from Murphy's perspective.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Squinty posted:

I thought that the point was you were supposed to A) figure out that it's an obvious test and the gun had blanks or B) trust they wouldn't make you shoot a puppy and thus conclude A.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the episode of The Simpsons where Homer stops going to church to hang out at home (Homer the Heretic) he accidentally sets his house on fire and is saved by Flanders. But why wasn't Flanders at church with everyone else?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Squinty posted:

I did wonder if at that point, Michael Caine's character/the director (who was doing Eggsy's test) *had already been recruited by the bad guy and really was looking for the kind of person who would put obedience to authority above anything. Hence his not explaining that there were blanks, and the later "as long as you're with me" bit seemed to suggest he wanted loyalty more than anything.

But for all we know, the other girl WAS intentionally missing when we hear her gun go off, or otherwise found out the trick, or just refused with a good reason and passed that way, but then the tester fired a shot to either demonstrate it was a blank or make the other room think she really did it or something.

I can't remember if Harry went into enough detail when he told Eggsy about his test that would reveal what the real passing requirement was. We know he 'shot' Mr. Pickles, but maybe there's more than one way to pass?

In any case, my gripe is that it's a stupid test no matter what you're looking for, and for a movie that seemed to really like subverting stuff I'm surprised they didn't even have a minor character say "Uh, you guys do realize why they gave us these, right?" It totally seems like something the rich tough jerks would do, if only just to try and tease/scare the protagonists once they start bonding with the puppies.

* I know this came out forever ago, I don't know if it warrants a spoiler more than the dog thing, but whatever, just in case.

Parasol Prophet has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

WickedHate posted:

I feel like yall are reaching. It just doesn't work in my opinion and I'd be surprised if it was kept in the actual movie.

I agree. If they were going for the joke that everyone else is suggesting, then they biffed the delivery - he should have spoken with a more obvious tone of awkwardness or trying-to-sound-cool or unpreparedness. It literally sounded like an audio clip taken from an unrealated, totally mundane conversation.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel overwhelmingly like the obvious intent of the scene is to have Spidey literally (literally-literally) say hello to the audience and show off the neat eye special effect. Call me cynical if you like.

Aaand this, I think, is what it boils down to.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Parasol Prophet posted:

I did wonder if at that point, Michael Caine's character/the director (who was doing Eggsy's test) *had already been recruited by the bad guy and really was looking for the kind of person who would put obedience to authority above anything. Hence his not explaining that there were blanks, and the later "as long as you're with me" bit seemed to suggest he wanted loyalty more than anything.

But for all we know, the other girl WAS intentionally missing when we hear her gun go off, or otherwise found out the trick, or just refused with a good reason and passed that way, but then the tester fired a shot to either demonstrate it was a blank or make the other room think she really did it or something.

I can't remember if Harry went into enough detail when he told Eggsy about his test that would reveal what the real passing requirement was. We know he 'shot' Mr. Pickles, but maybe there's more than one way to pass?

In any case, my gripe is that it's a stupid test no matter what you're looking for, and for a movie that seemed to really like subverting stuff I'm surprised they didn't even have a minor character say "Uh, you guys do realize why they gave us these, right?" It totally seems like something the rich tough jerks would do, if only just to try and tease/scare the protagonists once they start bonding with the puppies.

* I know this came out forever ago, I don't know if it warrants a spoiler more than the dog thing, but whatever, just in case.

What bugs me most, is that, as a trained agent, he didn't check his weapon. Why didn't he pull the magazine and clear the chamber before doing anything? He would have seen that they were blanks and confronted My Cocaine about it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Some idiot loaded this gun with blanks, so I had to pistol-whip that dog to death."

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Morpheus posted:

Until Dawn is technically a videogame, but it's filmed like a B-movie-style horror film (and it's pretty good!), but it also does that same "footage shot from the perspective of the film/game camera, not a camera in the actual setting". There's one where a camera is filming a girl in a bath, and it literally shows her turning around to see if anyone is watching, except she's definitely 100% see the camera from her angle of vision - doubly so because she's suspicious when she does it. I've played the game a few times and every time it shows the this footage that the bad guy is watching, I'm irritated at how lazily it was done.

ESPECIALLY since, as a video game, it would've been so easy to create another camera view in another part of the room, but nope.

I noticed the same. The part where Sam is in the movie viewing room and the psycho is showing her a little movie of previous scenes it was a) how did he get half those shots? and b) how did he edit and transfer all the footage to film in the given timeframe?

But it's a pretty minor issue in a deliberately cheezy b-movie style horror game, so it doesn't really ruin anything.

Similar complaint in an actual movie/tv-show: The River. The premise is that it's a reality show/documentary of some people searching for an explorer who went missing in the Amazon. It's been a while, but as I recall there is a mix of hand-held cameras from the crew of the boat, and some static placed cameras. They make no efforts to make the camera angles make sense from either perspective, and there are a couple especially ridiculous shots.

Section 9 has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Mar 15, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just watched Kingsmen the other day, and it reminded me of the 'secret spy agency/martial arts training' trope that annoys me most: The shoot-your-puppy test.

First of all, as soon as they make you choose a puppy you should know where this is going. There is literally no other reason for them to do this, don't get attached to the dog you dingbats. Name it "Obedience Test" and start planning your way out of the inevitable (or coming to terms with it) now.

Not to mention the version of the test they do would be so easy to get around. The fact that they're using a gun means there's already a chance they're not serious about it (since that's the only real way you could fake it, with blanks), but just in case Eggsy could've aimed to barely graze the dog's ear or something, which at this point in both of their training courses shouldn't have been too hard.

And then even if there are bullets, he could've just pointed out "You never said shoot to kill," and I bet they'd loving love that because it shows he can potentially think his way out of a situation that would otherwise cost an innocent life. Then bandage up your dog (you should have bandages, see 'be prepared' above) and accept employment.

But really, I don't know why anyone acts surprised by it at all at this point.

Did you ever read ASoIaF or watch Game of Thrones?

Every last unsullied (in addition to be castrated) had to sneak into a slave home in the middle of the night and kill a child.

That includes the heroic and sympathetic character 'grey worm'

As for more recent stuff I'm getting really bored with the ritual murders/honor killings in The 100.

At least the latter will have a conclusion I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patattack posted:

It literally sounded like an audio clip taken from an unrealated, totally mundane conversation.

It probably was.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

For a rationally irritating moment, when Eggsy goes back to cornhole the princess, all he takes with him is champagne.

Jesus, man, at least filch a stick of butter or technical-virgin olive oil from the kitchen. That's just inconsiderate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let's be honest, if that idiot Smith kid was dropped into modern day Australia he would have worse odds surviving anywhere outside the cities. gently caress, even in the cities with the drat spiders and snakes and poo poo that's a cassowary gently caress IT RUN.

Not even the suburbs are safe.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

In the episode of The Simpsons where Homer stops going to church to hang out at home (Homer the Heretic) he accidentally sets his house on fire and is saved by Flanders. But why wasn't Flanders at church with everyone else?

I always think the same thing when I catch that episode.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My parent's church has mass multiple times throughout the day. Including really early ones. Maybe Flanders goes early.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Section 9 posted:

I noticed the same. The part where Sam is in the movie viewing room and the psycho is showing her a little movie of previous scenes it was a) how did he get half those shots? and b) how did he edit and transfer all the footage to film in the given timeframe?

Oh, that's right - he gets the footage, then edits and transfers it to (presumably) projector film in, what, five minutes or so? If that. You could beeline to the basement in thirty seconds if you wanted to.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

IUG posted:

My parent's church has mass multiple times throughout the day. Including really early ones. Maybe Flanders goes early.

Flanders is the type of guy who would be at every service. Likely because he's a volunteer of some sort, but he might really like sniffing the pews.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Obviously Flanders went home cause God told him to

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

First of all, as soon as they make you choose a puppy you should know where this is going. There is literally no other reason for them to do this, don't get attached to the dog you dingbats. Name it "Obedience Test" and start planning your way out of the inevitable (or coming to terms with it) now.

Not to mention the version of the test they do would be so easy to get around. The fact that they're using a gun means there's already a chance they're not serious about it (since that's the only real way you could fake it, with blanks), but just in case Eggsy could've aimed to barely graze the dog's ear or something, which at this point in both of their training courses shouldn't have been too hard.

And then even if there are bullets, he could've just pointed out "You never said shoot to kill," and I bet they'd loving love that because it shows he can potentially think his way out of a situation that would otherwise cost an innocent life. Then bandage up your dog (you should have bandages, see 'be prepared' above) and accept employment.

But really, I don't know why anyone acts surprised by it at all at this point.

There is an old joke where a CIA recruit is given a gun and told to kill his wife as a test of loyalty. He comes back and says "you screwed up, the gun was loaded with blanks so I had to strangle the bitch."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Away all Goats posted:

Obviously Flanders went home cause God told him to

I wouldn't be surprised if, given how God is in the Simpsons, he hadn't framed it as "Yeesh, Ned. Go home. You've been here all day. You need a life outside of me, and I need some space here."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ned drove home a different way from everyone else and didn't get stuck behind all the ducks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, given how God is in the Simpsons, he hadn't framed it as "Yeesh, Ned. Go home. You've been here all day. You need a life outside of me, and I need some space here."

Homer mathematically proved that God is not real.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Did you ever read ASoIaF or watch Game of Thrones?

Every last unsullied (in addition to be castrated) had to sneak into a slave home in the middle of the night and kill a child.

That includes the heroic and sympathetic character 'grey worm'

As for more recent stuff I'm getting really bored with the ritual murders/honor killings in The 100.

At least the latter will have a conclusion I guess.

The show Game of Thrones went into some detail. The boys are given a puppy to love and raise for a year when they're, what, 5 or 6? And then at the year's end they have to kill the puppy. And if they can't do it, the boys are killed. More slaves are lost at that time because they can't do it, then later on when the almost-ready-to-be-sold slave eunuchs go to the market, buy an infant slave, and kill it in front of its mother.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Cowslips Warren posted:

The show Game of Thrones went into some detail. The boys are given a puppy to love and raise for a year when they're, what, 5 or 6? And then at the year's end they have to kill the puppy. And if they can't do it, the boys are killed. More slaves are lost at that time because they can't do it, then later on when the almost-ready-to-be-sold slave eunuchs go to the market, buy an infant slave, and kill it in front of its mother.

Welp. Add that to the growing list of reasons I cannot watch GoT. :cry:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Huh?

I read it a few years ago and don't recall their being a "dog option"

I remember the fact that the graduate unsullied had to pay for the kid they just murdered but I think you might be misremembering the dog thing from Kingsman.

Although I frequently get these things mixed up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

TheKennedys posted:

Welp. Add that to the growing list of reasons I cannot watch GoT. :cry:

They don't show it. They just say it happened. They show lots of other stuff but only one child that I can think of died on screen in five seasons.

e: two... three.. i'm remembering more hold on.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Krinkle posted:

They don't show it. They just say it happened. They show lots of other stuff but only one child that I can think of died on screen in five seasons.

e: two... three.. i'm remembering more hold on.

Yeeeeah...one is one too many. Also the main reason behind my post re: the final episode of MASH (among the other reasons that episode should never be watched by anyone). It's some mutated PTSD form of postpartum depression, and it severely limits what I'm able to watch. This isn't E/N though, sorry. :v:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

Yeeeeah...one is one too many. Also the main reason behind my post re: the final episode of MASH (among the other reasons that episode should never be watched by anyone). It's some mutated PTSD form of postpartum depression, and it severely limits what I'm able to watch. This isn't E/N though, sorry. :v:

It's okay buddy, I can't watch that poo poo either. Some things hit too close to home.

My googling "game of thrones but no rape and child death" is not proving fruitful. The story sounds really cool, but I can't deal with a lot of the themes soooooo

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Not watching game of thrones is a perfectly valid life choice. I'm only watching because the books will never be finished and the show will show me the plot beats as the crow flies.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Not watching game of thrones is a perfectly valid life choice. I'm only watching because the books will never be finished and the show will show me the plot beats as the crow flies.

I do periodically go through and watch all the deaths on youtube to keep abreast of the plot. At least then I can talk about it with people.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

"Words are wind" *farts messily*

That's the gist of it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

syscall girl posted:

"Words are wind" *farts messily*

That's the gist of it, right?

You know as well as I that the show skipped the farting messily part.