Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Well also, pre-Roman (or any, really) concrete has to be buried deep in the ground to survive the elements. Concrete is really good for stuff you need to be there for a couple centuries, but millenia will wear it down. In that case monoliths are better. Even if they're stacked on top of each other like a pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

A White Guy posted:

Odd as it seems, a lot of other indigenous groups hate the Sami.

The Sami's experience, compared to the ongoing exploitation and additional awful poo poo that happens around the globe every day, is fairly tame, and nowadays, the Sami, especially in Sweden/Finland, are well-recognized and almost treated as an accepted ethnic group. Because of their protected status, the Sami regularly speak for 'imperialist' nations at the UN, wherein their speakers regularly argue native rights are totally fine right now, so we should stop talking about it you know? For example, at the most recent conference on indigenous rights, Sami speakers argued that because the state of native rights was so much better than it had been (:psyduck:), there was no need for a new conference, the next year. This may seem like kind of a minor thing, but the native movement places a lot of emphasis on getting things through the UN, such as the most recent UN Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

So nowadays, the Sami have a reputation amongst other indigenous groups as being traitors to the native movement.

Of course, this is just... so white of them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Concrete rules. There's dudes right now making self-healing concrete by infusing it with bacteria that awakens when it comes in contact with water, secreting limestone and patching the damage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Babe Magnet posted:

Concrete rules. There's dudes right now making self-healing concrete by infusing it with bacteria that awakens when it comes in contact with water, secreting limestone and patching the damage.

i think we need to expose these covert concrete dudes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Didn't think there was a video but it turns out there is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXkW1q9HpFA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Egh I tried a search for a fun concrete video in Danish words and it was literally half 911 conspiracies and half nazi hitler wasnt so bad kinda stuff.

Concrete is probably alright, but I'm not gonna put that in my interests ever again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't the original concrete recipe lost in time or some poo poo like that

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It isn't set in stone

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

no

it was the tumblr brigade who got butthurt that the sami guy wasn't yellow and didn't have buckteeth and slanted eyes

most samis seem to have liked the cartoon

Slime posted:

You see this kind of thing a lot. There's people who get mad on some ethnic group's behalf, while the ethnic group itself either doesn't care or has the opposite opinion. I think the Sami reaction was that they were just happy to be represented, even if it's not entirely accurate.

It's called "finding an excuse to look morally superior to others in front of peers." It's very popular.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Isn't the original concrete recipe lost in time or some poo poo like that
I think the Romans had some kind of secret sauce that made their concrete real good. Not that ours is bad but you know, there's a lot of Roman concrete actually around still to study, so that's a sign of something. I thought it had to do with shattered pottery that had gotten fire glazed or something.

Looking it up, it seems using coal ash is a reasonable substitute for the Roman recipe and would hopefully produce similar results, though of course we won't know for a while, will we?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Concrete is super stable. The problem is reinforced concrete since steel changes size fairly dramatically with temperature which introduces cracks in the concrete. Water gets into those cracks and rusts the steel. That further expands the beams, causing more cracks, causing more water. Eventually the steel has rusted out and is worthless from a stability perspective and the concrete is cracked to poo poo.

It gets worse if freezing water is involved.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

Concrete is super stable. The problem is reinforced concrete since steel changes size fairly dramatically with temperature which introduces cracks in the concrete. Water gets into those cracks and rusts the steel. That further expands the beams, causing more cracks, causing more water. Eventually the steel has rusted out and is worthless from a stability perspective and the concrete is cracked to poo poo.

It gets worse if freezing water is involved.

I thought rebar expanded and contracted at the same rate as concrete.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

syscall girl posted:

I thought rebar expanded and contracted at the same rate as concrete.

If not there's a metallurgy PhD just sitting there for the taking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It does, the concrete is what cracks. The water getting in then rusts the rebar, destroying its strength. The rebar's job is to keep the slab strong under tension, which concrete by itself is pretty bad at.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

It does, the concrete is what cracks. The water getting in then rusts the rebar, destroying its strength. The rebar's job is to keep the slab strong under tension, which concrete by itself is pretty bad at.

Yeah, the tensile strength of concrete is ~1/10th it's strength under compression. Until it cracks, which it will.

Then it has a tensile strength of zero, and that's bad.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sucrose posted:

It's called "finding an excuse to look morally superior to others in front of peers." It's very popular.

When I was a kid, we called it "being snotty." Not quite as exact, but much snappier.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nessus posted:

I think the Romans had some kind of secret sauce that made their concrete real good. Not that ours is bad but you know, there's a lot of Roman concrete actually around still to study, so that's a sign of something. I thought it had to do with shattered pottery that had gotten fire glazed or something.

Looking it up, it seems using coal ash is a reasonable substitute for the Roman recipe and would hopefully produce similar results, though of course we won't know for a while, will we?

Roman concrete was made with silica ash from all the volcanoes present in the empire. Silica ash, at a microscopic level, is all little flakes that are way harder to pull apart, so Roman concrete constructions have fared many many times better than our modern concrete.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Roman concrete was made with silica ash from all the volcanoes present in the empire. Silica ash, at a microscopic level, is all little flakes that are way harder to pull apart, so Roman concrete constructions have fared many many times better than our modern concrete.

Are there not any modern varieties that use silica ash? I imagine in the age of international worldwide commerce it would be easy enough to get now, let alone artificial methods at making it if that's possible.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Are there not any modern varieties that use silica ash? I imagine in the age of international worldwide commerce it would be easy enough to get now, let alone artificial methods at making it if that's possible.

IIRC modern contractors don't use concrete with the intention that it would last 1000+ years.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Tiggum posted:

You mean these ones?

When you say "gaining popularity", aren't they pretty much ubiquitous these days?

Nope. Ubiquitous in the big companies' mainline products maybe, but a lot of cans these days don't even have a definite top and bottom so they'll stack nicely.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Canemacar posted:

IIRC modern contractors don't use concrete with the intention that it would last 1000+ years.

Mainly because until very recently, we couldn't. We only really "Discovered" the secret of Roman cement in the mid 1980's by accident when building a dam that just happened to use a Fly ash filler and new placement techniques, and didn't really solidify what we'd done until 2013.

it wasn't just the chemical formula that we were missing (the volcanic ash), but how it was placed (using less water than we would consider normal with portland cement, placed in layers, and packed/pounded into place), that had to be rediscovered. Also, when it comes to using concrete that will last a thousand years, a dam is a pretty good place to use it, IMHO.

http://www.romanconcrete.com/docs/spillway/spillway.htm <-- Article I stumbled across years ago that seems to explain the rediscovery work by the BoR. I may be mistaken in a few of the particulars.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Doccers posted:

Mainly because until very recently, we couldn't. We only really "Discovered" the secret of Roman cement in the mid 1980's by accident when building a dam that just happened to use a Fly ash filler and new placement techniques, and didn't really solidify what we'd done until 2013.

it wasn't just the chemical formula that we were missing (the volcanic ash), but how it was placed (using less water than we would consider normal with portland cement, placed in layers, and packed/pounded into place), that had to be rediscovered. Also, when it comes to using concrete that will last a thousand years, a dam is a pretty good place to use it, IMHO.

http://www.romanconcrete.com/docs/spillway/spillway.htm <-- Article I stumbled across years ago that seems to explain the rediscovery work by the BoR. I may be mistaken in a few of the particulars.

Let's face it: We're gonna find Roman ruins on Mars.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Khazar-khum posted:

Let's face it: We're gonna find Roman ruins on Mars.

If we do we better find roman martian graffiti to go along with it

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Romanus Eunt Martius

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Marvin is bald

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If we do we better find roman martian graffiti to go along with it

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates Martian behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Khazar-khum posted:

Let's face it: We're gonna find Romans ruins on Mars.

"There was other life, here. They were annoying."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gann Jerrod posted:

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates Martian behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the Olympus Mons like a dog

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Whybird posted:

Have we done the Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV?

In 1676, Mehmed sent a letter to the Zaporozhians calling upon them to surrender:

The Cossacks wrote back:

The best thing about this story is the painting done by Ilya Repin of the scene:

GUYS GUYS I'VE GOT ONE CALL HIM THE CRICK IN OUR DICK

I'm only on page 8 of this thread, but I legit want a picture of this hanging on my wall. Any clue what it's called?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The wry little look of amusement on the scribes face is so loving perfect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When emperor Hirohito released the speech where he said that Japan had surrendered it was the first time that the majority of the population had heard his voice.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Alhazred posted:

When emperor Hirohito released the speech where he said that Japan had surrendered it was the first time that the majority of the population had heard his voice.

Never put the pussy on a pedestal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah but he was god and you're not really supposed to hear god's voice.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where's Alan Rickman when you need him?

Oh yeah :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Wait is soup on mashed potatoes really a thing?

Campbell's chunky soup has an even sadder suggestion

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Alhazred posted:

Also many of the listeners had no idea what he was saying since his Court Japanese was so different from the modern everyday language

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Speaking of gods and rulers. The reason why the pharaohs had fake beard was that Horus had beard and since the pharaoh was the living embodiment of Horus beard was mandatory. Even Hatshepsut who was a woman had to follow this rule. This was also the reason why the royals was okay with incest, after all Horus married his sister and what's good enough for Horus is good enough for the pharaoh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of gods and rulers. The reason why the pharaohs had fake beard was that Horus had beard and since the pharaoh was the living embodiment of Horus beard was mandatory. Even Hatshepsut who was a woman had to follow this rule. This was also the reason why the royals was okay with incest, after all Horus married his sister and what's good enough for Horus is good enough for the pharaoh.

I remember someone in the Ancient History thread said something like Pharaohs would marry their sister, yeah, but that doesn't mean they'd actually be banging. It was more of a ceremonial marriage than an actual one, with pharaohs knocking up a concubine to get a kid.