Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Digirat posted:

Bloodborne's healing system is a pointless step back

I hope you are only referring to the blood vials and not trashing on the rally system? Because if so I would agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No the rally thing is fabulous design, although on that topic I think the game makes it unimportant very quickly. It's a flat number and not a % without any way to increase it that doesn't weaken you in other ways, so it doesn't mean much when the hardest content in the game can either one-shot you at 50 vitality or combo you down to a sliver of health left almost instantly.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just had a dude give me props for pulling off a sick visceral on a boss, i'm going to start doing that for now on cause it was badass, it was like he was going GOOOOOOOOOAL

https://gfycat.com/SneakyEqualGrebe

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Rally potential depends on your weapon and so it isn't just a flat number. The DLC also has a rune that increases it by quite a bit. I did a run where I could usually ignore blood vials and instead be very aggressive because I got so much health back through rally.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I picked up this game and the DLC for 35 bucks total. Never really dug into the Souls series before but this is good so far. I made it to the Cleric Beast and I don't know how I'm going to beat the big bastard but I will. gently caress that thing.

That's the spirit

Also in my opinion this is the best Souls game, especially for a newcomer since a lot of it is totally different from previous Souls anyway.

Paineopticon posted:

I find Cleric Beast easier to fight unlocked, since the lock camera is horrible for that fight

Also I finally beat this good game, hurray!
But did you beat the DLC :cool:

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I finally got myself a ps4 and have been playing a lot of bloodborne. Just finished it infact. Overall I really loved it, at the moment it's probably my favorite souls game. And the Threaded cane is my new favorite weapon, used it the entire game.

Boss death count in order I fought them:

Cleric Beast - 2
Father Gascoigne - 4
Blood Starved beast - 5
Vicar Amelia - 0
The Witch of Hemwick - 0
Darkbeast - 2
Shadows of Yharnam - 0
Rom - 2
Martyr Logarius - 0
Celestial Emissary - 0
Ludwig - 9
Ebrietas - 6
The One Reborn - 0
Amygdala - 0
Living Failures - 1
Maria - 4
Micolash - 2
Laurence - 5
FREAKING orphan of kos - 118
wet nurse - 1
The First Hunter - 0
Moon Presence - 0

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Every time I see lists like this, I realize how truly terrible I am.

It takes me 10 boss attempts just to start learning their tells.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One hundred and loving eighteen? How does that even happen when you were already beating a bunch of them on your first try and the second worst boss was only at 9?

I would have just shelved the game by 60.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Digirat posted:

One hundred and loving eighteen?

I was a bit too committed to trying to parry his second phase, but I did beat him by parrying!

I think overall parrying is much easier in Bloodborne than in past souls games. It takes some getting used to, but you can do it safely from a distance and the timing is more forgiving. If a boss could be parried that's pretty much how I fought them. Visceral attacks are so satisfying.

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 16, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I'm stuck on Maria right now. She's not even a particularly hard boss. I can get her down to 10% health most of the time. But if I gently caress up once it's really easy for me to die. I know basically all of her moves at this point, except for her grab which I only saw for the first time tonight. But the Chikage is a lot harder to use against her than Holy Moonlight Sword, especially in her last phase where you can only get one hit on her before she teleports. There are still moves that I can't consistently dodge. And I still can't tell the difference between her blood laser and her blood 360 slash chargeup. They look almost completely the same to me. So it just blows my mind that there are people who learn everything they need to beat her in a few tries, when I've beat her with two other characters and made probably 20 attempts on this character. Like sure, I can parry her, walk circles around her like a boss, iframe dodge most of her attacks, until I can't and I die. It's just that I'm kind of slow learner, and it's awe inspiring that there are people who are just like "oh this is happening, I shall do this in response" and they can just execute what they intend to do.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Does higher bloodtinge make it easier to parry? I had 40 bloodtinge and a +9 Evelyn. I was using my gun as the primary source of damage overall.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It does not make it easier to parry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Theowulv posted:

I finally got myself a ps4 and have been playing a lot of bloodborne. Just finished it infact. Overall I really loved it, at the moment it's probably my favorite souls game. And the Threaded cane is my new favorite weapon, used it the entire game.

Boss death count in order I fought them:

Cleric Beast - 2
Father Gascoigne - 4
Blood Starved beast - 5
Vicar Amelia - 0
The Witch of Hemwick - 0
Darkbeast - 2
Shadows of Yharnam - 0
Rom - 2
Martyr Logarius - 0
Celestial Emissary - 0
Ludwig - 9
Ebrietas - 6
The One Reborn - 0
Amygdala - 0
Living Failures - 1
Maria - 4
Micolash - 2
Laurence - 5
FREAKING orphan of kos - 118
wet nurse - 1
The First Hunter - 0
Moon Presence - 0

That's actually fairly similar to mine, Maria and Laurence took me a lot more, CB, Gascoigne and BSB I did first go.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Oh I forgot about chalice dungeons, I didn't keep track of how may times I died in them but I know Rom and defilied Amygdala gave me a lot more trouble in them than in the base game. I only did the chalices required for the trophy though. I actually like/don't mind dungeon crawling but I kind of want to move on to scholar of the first sin.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scary ghost dog posted:

heres the best tip you will ever get: you can beat the whole game with just your fists, or no levels, hell maybe both

I think someone tried to do a SL4 run with their fists and found that they couldn't kill Vicar Amelia because they couldn't carry enough Numbing Mists to nullify her healing forever, and once she started healing they couldn't do enough damage to keep up.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Digirat posted:

Work toward 50 vitality. You will never need to grind for materials to get to another premade dungeon as long as you don't skip anything.

You can get red jelly in the static lower loran and isz gravestone chalices.

There's also the 2 you get from whichever floor of the Student Building that is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Digirat posted:

Bloodborne's healing system is a pointless step back, but the game doesn't put unique items like weapons and armor on enemy drops and thats a huge step up from dark souls 1 and 2. I hated having to grind for armor sets from enemies in dark souls 2.

The rally system changes the game completely IMO

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Use the runes that give you increased rally potential, more damage from visceral attacks and healing from visceral attacks and never touch blood vials again

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sakurazuka posted:

Use the runes that give you increased rally potential, more damage from visceral attacks and healing from visceral attacks and never touch blood vials again

Its mainly an issue early on before you get a stock built up or have access to options like that. For me I always have trouble with the blood starved beast and inevitably have to farm some around that time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Its mainly an issue early on before you get a stock built up or have access to options like that. For me I always have trouble with the blood starved beast and inevitably have to farm some around that time.

blood starved beast is literally the easiest boss in the game since you can avoid every single attack by moving towards its right side, you dont even have to dodge

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Before you figure out how to cheese BSB it's a pretty challenging fight. He's unbelievably relentless in phase 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BSB scared me the first few times I attempted him because of big he seems but then I realized it's all just friggin rags and he just slides around the room like a dumbass.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

In Training posted:

BSB scared me the first few times I attempted him because of big he seems but then I realized it's all just friggin rags and he just slides around the room like a dumbass.

That's not rags. That's the skin of his back.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Before you figure out how to cheese BSB it's a pretty challenging fight. He's unbelievably relentless in phase 3.

ya thats true i almost forgot........hes also insanely easy to parry

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I always thought dodging left was the cheese strat for him. Seems to work okay but I always die at least once in phase 3 due to getting combo'd and poisoned

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you just walk forward he misses. The only way to get hit is to stand still or move away from him, another early boss that teaches you you need to be in close all the time to achieve victory.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blood Starved Beast is a good introduction to why dodging backwards instead of straight through attacks is a bad idea. See also: Beastmode Gascoigne and his crazy 10-hit combo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Blood Starved Beast is a good introduction to why dodging backwards instead of straight through attacks is a bad idea. See also: Beastmode Gascoigne and his crazy 10-hit combo.
a well timed dodge backwards will usually put you right up in the boss's face between their attacks...... good move for pros

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Theowulv posted:

Oh I forgot about chalice dungeons, I didn't keep track of how may times I died in them but I know Rom and defilied Amygdala gave me a lot more trouble in them than in the base game. I only did the chalices required for the trophy though. I actually like/don't mind dungeon crawling but I kind of want to move on to scholar of the first sin.

About what level were you when you completed the dungeons?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're gonna be 100+ by the time you finish no matter what you are when you start, just because of the sheer amount of echoes that depth 4 and 5 dungeons throw at you. Well unless you don't level up or are constantly losing them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

You're gonna be 100+ by the time you finish no matter what you are when you start, just because of the sheer amount of echoes that depth 4 and 5 dungeons throw at you. Well unless you don't level up or are constantly losing them.

Lower (edit: Pthumeru) kinda gates progress through the dungeons, because that's where things start oneshotting you (Flail Giant, Rom, and a lot of trash in level 4) if you're below mid-30s VIT, but you still don't get many echoes at that point. Dungeons only really make it rain once you get to Loran, before that it's far more time-efficient to grind the Lecture Hall slug scholars than it is to have a mini boss fight against a layer 4 Watcher (or god forbid one of those Pthumerian greatsword jerkoffs)

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 16, 2016

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Well I haven't been leveling up as I haven't felt the need, but I'm only at depth 3 pthumeru. I'm alternating between the DLC (just beat living failures) and the chalice dungeons on this playthrough, both are new to me.

Current level is 78, with
code:

Vit 40
End 20
Str 30
Skl 25
Bld whatever
Arc whatever

With a +10 cleaver and everything has been hunky dory. I am planning to raise Vit to 50 for 4 and 5 depth dungeons and I guess use Str as the dump stat. Looking good?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Anti-Hero posted:

Well I haven't been leveling up as I haven't felt the need, but I'm only at depth 3 pthumeru. I'm alternating between the DLC (just beat living failures) and the chalice dungeons on this playthrough, both are new to me.

Current level is 78, with
code:
Vit 40
End 20
Str 30
Skl 25
Bld whatever
Arc whatever
With a +10 cleaver and everything has been hunky dory. I am planning to raise Vit to 50 for 4 and 5 depth dungeons and I guess use Str as the dump stat. Looking good?

Those stats look good, don't level VIT or END any further.

If BLT and ARC are "whatever" then it seems you have a quality (STR+SKL) build so you should level STR and SKL fairly equally. The Cleaver scales slightly better off STR, but your Visceral attacks mostly scale off SKL.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Correct on this being a quality build. I stopped at the soft-cap for SKL for the better viscerals until I had figured out where I wanted to take the character. I'll pump STR and SKL then!

Edit: why no Vit to 50? Seems like everyone recommends that for later chalice dungeons.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Correct on this being a quality build. I stopped at the soft-cap for SKL for the better viscerals until I had figured out where I wanted to take the character. I'll pump STR and SKL then!

Edit: why no Vit to 50? Seems like everyone recommends that for later chalice dungeons.

you should raise vit to 50, that's when diminishing returns kick in. the above poster is wrong

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can level endurance to 30 or even 40 if you want, builds with big or spammy weapons benefit a lot from seemingly unlimited stamina

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Having a bigger stamina bar than a health bar is the sign of a true Power Gamer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You'll get better returns at this time going from 30 STR to 40 STR than you would going from 40 VIT to 50 VIT imo but that's just m.o.

Admittedly that's not exactly what I said in the previous post though ("don't level VIT beyond 40 ever" vs "don't level VIT beyond 40 yet")

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Yes, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Definitely get more than 20 endurance, especially if you're using the cleaver. The thing loving melts bosses if you can combo endlessly.

• Locked thread