Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
literally just port baldurs gates 1 and 2 to the Pillars Engine. Forget the dnd rules, make minsc a barbarian and just ditch the fighter halves of all the multiclassed npcs.

poo poo I would play the gently caress out of that

E: I murdered some basilisks and now everyone is lvl 2 but me. Why am I on the mage xp table? That doesnt make it any sense....

E: You no longer have to take off your sheild to equip a bow... this is probably the best change so far. You dont get the benefit from the sheild while u have the bow out of course, but the sheild comes out the moment you pull out a one handed weapon.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wizard Styles posted:

Class spells:

"there is a 20% chance that they must save vs. Death or be slowed for one round"

So they have an extremely limited Protection from Evil, some sort of debuff thing that has a 20% chance to work AND allows a save, an single-target Dispel Magic that only works on an extremely limited number of things and has a casting time of :siren: 9 :siren:, and a spell level 4 AoE which is worse than Holy Smite, Skull Trap, and the necklace of missiles, which are available at spell level 3, 3, and whenever you can afford it, respectively.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Will that new GUI eventually "update" into any Steam installed BG1/2:EE or can you opt out somehow?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
welp, i guess i might have to dig out my original baldur's gate cd's and go with tutu and a modded bg2 again

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mzbundifund posted:

So they have an extremely limited Protection from Evil, some sort of debuff thing that has a 20% chance to work AND allows a save, an single-target Dispel Magic that only works on an extremely limited number of things and has a casting time of :siren: 9 :siren:, and a spell level 4 AoE which is worse than Holy Smite, Skull Trap, and the necklace of missiles, which are available at spell level 3, 3, and whenever you can afford it, respectively.
Well, Writhing Fog at least does ongoing damage, so if nothing else it pairs well with Web. If you have a Sorcerer and a Shaman you'll unlock both at the same time, even. :v:
Spirit Fire would be okay if the Doom effect always triggered, although it could still be saved against. So even now it's not bad a third of the time!

e: This is compared to other Druid spells, of course, for a class using the Sorcerer progression this is all just laughable.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
shaman death #2: neira

I know that bitch is waiting for me in the inn at nashkel so i decide to do a little prep work. Instead of dancing during the fight, I figure ill dance right outside the inn, wait until I have the max amount of summons (2 whole summons), then pop in with khalid, trigger the fight, then pop outside where the rest of my party + 2 summons will be waiting for her.

Neira casts hold person hitting me and khalid.

Khalid makes his save, I don't.

I am held and thus not dancing and thus my summons disappear.

Since Khalid has yet to successfully connect with a sword swing, and one of my summons did nick her for like 2hp, she aggros onto to me.

Neira proceeds to bludgeon me to death.

You now I was planning on playing BG all day today anyways (that evil run with dayglo dorn), but I might as well continue with this shaman run. I'll be :dance::dance::dance:dancing:dance::dance::dance: at every conceivable opportunity and will let you guys know if dancing at any point ever becomes not a liability.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

insanityv2 posted:

shaman death #2: neira

I know that bitch is waiting for me in the inn at nashkel so i decide to do a little prep work. Instead of dancing during the fight, I figure ill dance right outside the inn, wait until I have the max amount of summons (2 whole summons), then pop in with khalid, trigger the fight, then pop outside where the rest of my party + 2 summons will be waiting for her.

Neira casts hold person hitting me and khalid.

Khalid makes his save, I don't.

I am held and thus not dancing and thus my summons disappear.

Since Khalid has yet to successfully connect with a sword swing, and one of my summons did nick her for like 2hp, she aggros onto to me.

Neira proceeds to bludgeon me to death.

Hahaha oh my god, the summons disappear if you're stopped from dancing? That's incredible. Please proceed, Beamdog :allears:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
So you don't control your summons and you don't (can't) control your character.

Sounds fun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I think we can all agree that Beamdog aren't the best

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

insanityv2 posted:

literally just port baldurs gates 1 and 2 to the Pillars Engine. Forget the dnd rules, make minsc a barbarian and just ditch the fighter halves of all the multiclassed npcs.

poo poo I would play the gently caress out of that

E: I murdered some basilisks and now everyone is lvl 2 but me. Why am I on the mage xp table? That doesnt make it any sense....

E: You no longer have to take off your sheild to equip a bow... this is probably the best change so far. You dont get the benefit from the sheild while u have the bow out of course, but the sheild comes out the moment you pull out a one handed weapon.

Pillars uses the Unity engine, which is terrible and eliminates mod potential. The thing with BG though is that it is a full on D&D game with a canon D&D setting where you can make jokes about tarrasques. You can't just slap on another game's rule set. But what about a remake of BG based on 3.5E or 4E? How would that play?

Also classes should be cut, not added. There are too many and several of them suck. How do you even play a wizard slayer when you can't use + gear or even drink potions?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 15, 2016

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
^^go see for yourself http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794/

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think we can all agree that Beamdog aren't the best

beamdog if you are reading this and are put off by the negativity i wanna reiterate

this class sucks but i will defend it to the death if you put in a bespoke animation for the dance

please see the monsterhunter prance for reference, tia

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

insanityv2 posted:

^^go see for yourself http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794/

beamdog if you are reading this and are put off by the negativity i wanna reiterate

this class sucks but i will defend it to the death if you put in a bespoke animation for the dance

i'm not sure they know how to add animations

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Beamdog should add an option for nearest neighbor filtering to get rid of the blurriness.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm not sure they know how to add animations

weren't they given the source code?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

insanityv2 posted:

i'm sure they have the means, just not the skill.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
The new character sheet/inventory/sprite outlines, etc. all look like rear end, but not to worry, they say they'll address them in the update after SoD is released.

(so about 15 months from now)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If I had a shaman, I would insist on making him able to do the Macarena.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

insanityv2 posted:

They don't have the models that the sprites were generated from, so they'd have to have someone draw dancing animations for every permutation of player sprite.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I had heard the Enhanced Editions were going to be quite radical HD remakes until they discovered that all the art source assets have been lost.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
The sprites aren't exactly detailed or even especially attractive. I'd be ok with them all of them being outright redone using new models. they are all just paperdolls really, its seeing the movement that matters. movement of the body. dancing if you will.

Anyways, shaman dancing finally came in handy during the fight with Greywolf.

No matter who you talk to Prism with, gw seems to be scripted to come talk to me specifically. Or maybe just whoever is in party position one, but I always put myself in party position one because I am the star of this show god drat it. Point is, it was hard to get in a good position to dance. I ended up popping a potion of invisibility. He makes every save against the entangle patch i tried to drag him through with my party, so i end up using my go to tactic just kiting him in a circle with whomever he's currently aggroed on. I spawn summons relatively quickly, but they both get caught in the entangle. How does that even work? I thought they were ghosts? The sprites for them are translucent, after all.

gw drops to badly injured, and the summons finally catch up with him, and manage to pull aggro. He halves their HP in a single swing, but it allows my full party, sans myself, to all be firing at him at once, and he goes down shortly thereafter.

To give you a sense of how much of the game i've played thus far, mulahey is already dead (m died before any summons spawned, but i guess summons might have helped mop up kobold/skelly adds? i wasnt paying attention) and I just hit lvl 2 after killing mulahey. Went and did GW immediately after getting the reward from nashkel, killing nimbul and resting. This is literally the first time my summons have made any positive contribution to any fight and I literally do nothing but dance. Like I stocked up on sling bullets at candlekeep and i still have 70/80/80 bullets in my quiver.

But hey, summons are generally p handy right? And we're is p early in the game right: the party mage can't even cast Monster Summoning 1 yet, so I wonder where the first wand of monster summoning is.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Valley_of_the_Tombs

Oh.... I literally passed it on the way over here....

I think I'm done for the day.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

insanityv2 posted:

No matter who you talk to Prism with, gw seems to be scripted to come talk to me specifically. Or maybe just whoever is in party position one,

It's this

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Part of me wonders if I'm being unfair. I mean if I judged bards by singing every fight i'd conclude they were a joke as well. Maybe the dance isn't supposed to be key feature of the shaman's kit?

Then again it's really hard to justify that XP progression...

I saw the link for getting into the beta being passed around so if anyone else finds a way to make to make shaman click as it were, do report back.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 16, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think shaman might only work in some areas and this is a guess based on how similar the spirits look like the new glasses item in SoD that lets you "see" spirits walking around aimlessly and summon in planar poo poo. like they are hidden actors across the maps if you know what i mean, hence why it doesn't seem to work in doors. i think the goblin npc in SoD is a shaman too.

on the plus side, they did do something to the class/kit selection screen which removes the hardcoding the originals have so new classes can get put in easier, plus infinite kits, and you can properly mod in wacky fun poo poo like wild sorcs or wild clerics.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

insanityv2 posted:

All my pen and paper experiences have been 3.0 onward, so I honestly don't know: do these kits come from ADnD2E or did Bioware/Beamdog pull them all out of their butts?

Kavak posted:

Sticking closer to tabletop might explain why their new kits are kind of meh compared to the overpowered stuff available- was the Cavalier also "A Paladin, but better" in tabletop?
The vast majority of them are PnP based, yeah, though some came through with pretty hefty changes. Interest in a bit of review segment where I compare and contrast paper and digital?

Washout posted:

Cavalier was it's own special class in 1st and it was the most OP class in the game. It got attribute progression similar to a dragon disciple.
Cavalier by itself was pretty bullshit, but the cavalier-paladin was where things went totally off the rails. "Yeah, dudes, also you can get all the Paladin stuff if you like."

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
If I wanted to play as a mind flayer is there a way to make my player sprite into one? I'd make him a sorc/mind flayer so he would not have to wear armor or anything but that might be a funny way to play through the game. I'd have to figure out how to give him the eat brain and psionic blast abilities but that would not be hard via ee keeper.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The vast majority of them are PnP based, yeah, though some came through with pretty hefty changes. Interest in a bit of review segment where I compare and contrast paper and digital?

I'd love to see this.

Woolie Wool posted:

I had heard the Enhanced Editions were going to be quite radical HD remakes until they discovered that all the art source assets have been lost.

I don't know how that would've stopped them, but I also got the feeling they got into this project before realizing what they were actually allowed to do with the Infinity Engine games- it's the only explanation for all the bugs and cut content not being restored.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Washout posted:

If I wanted to play as a mind flayer is there a way to make my player sprite into one? I'd make him a sorc/mind flayer so he would not have to wear armor or anything but that might be a funny way to play through the game. I'd have to figure out how to give him the eat brain and psionic blast abilities but that would not be hard via ee keeper.

Now a mage that copies monster abilities like a Final Fantasy blue mage, that would be an interesting class.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Now a mage that copies monster abilities like a Final Fantasy blue mage, that would be an interesting class.

That was incarnum, and it sucked.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Holy poo poo yes. "Eating" a monster or whatever and learning the ability would probably have a low chance to succeed, but you could keep trying (or savescum) and depending on your level you'd get a certain number of monster abilities you could use each day. Couple this with arcane casting and you have a unique, fun class.

EDIT: Wasn't Incarnum some not-the-Force thing from 3rd Edition?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I was thinking more of a literal blue mage sort of thing where you use an ability when you think a monster is about to use a special ability and then your monster imitator guy watches the monster perform the special attack and then learns it (perhaps with a roll for success/failure). Monster abilities of various types would form the majority of your available spells.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally picked up BG2: EE again, after starting the game over with a new character.

Here are the stats for the new PC:

quote:

Class: Dwarven Defender
Alignment: Neutral Good
Strength - 18/00
Dexterity - 17
Constitution - 19
Intelligence - 12
Wisdom - 7
Charisma - 8 (boosted to 18 w/ Ring of Human Influence)

Right now I'm going through the sewers under the Copper Coronet. I feel like I have a better handle on the game then when I first started, but I still feel I'm stumbling through it.When fighting the Hobgoblin party, I had the foresight to cast Silence before they were revealed to stop the spell-casters, but the fight didn't go as well I thought it would. For whatever reason, Minsc always takes damage really quickly, when it seem like he should be shrug off damage relatively well.

One of the issues I have right now is dealing with magic. I had Aerie learn a bunch of spells I collected and sold off all the ones she already knew. I don't know if that was a good idea or not; I read through the spell list on PlayItHardcore, and I think I might have a bunch of spell that might be not be that useful. Is there a selection of 'essential spells' that I should have learned and memorized? Casting is also an issue too; My thought is to have the spell-casters start the fight with an AoE spell, or heal themselves during combat, but most of the time, it doesn't seem practical, since the spells that take longer to cast have a greater chance to be interrupted. The other problem with using AoE spells is that the front-line fighters tend to get in the way.

I'm not sure who I should have in my party. Previously, I had Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Jan, & Haer'Dalis.Right now, I have Yoshimo (who I plan to drop for Jan), and Nalia (because I did the fighter stronghold quest in my old playthrough, and considered re-doing it).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 16, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Max Wilco posted:

So I finally picked up BG2: EE again, after starting the game over with a new character.

Here are the stats for the new PC:

Right now I'm going through the sewers under the Copper Coronet. I feel like I have a better handle on the game then when I first started, but I still feel I'm stumbling through it.When fighting the Hobgoblin party, I had the foresight to cast Silence before they were revealed to stop the spell-casters, but the fight didn't go as well I thought it would. For whatever reason, Minsc always takes damage really quickly, when it seem like he should be shrug off damage relatively well.

One of the issues I have right now is dealing with magic. I had Aerie learn a bunch of spells I collected and sold off all the ones she already knew. I don't know if that was a good idea or not; I read through the spell list on PlayItHardcore, and I think I might have a bunch of spell that might be not be that useful. Is there a selection of 'essential spells' that I should have learned and memorized? Casting is also an issue too; My thought is to have the spell-casters start the fight with an AoE spell, or heal themselves during combat, but most of the time, it doesn't seem practical, since the spells that take longer to cast have a greater chance to be interrupted. The other problem with using AoE spells is that the front-line fighters tend to get in the way.

I'm not sure who I should have in my party. Previously, I had Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Jan, & Haer'Dalis.Right now, I have Yoshimo (who I plan to drop for Jan), and Nalia (because I did the fighter stronghold quest in my old playthrough, and considered re-doing it).

All the spells that summon monsters are amazing, even the lowest level summon monster spells, put them in front and use them to draw fire, undead are immune to all mind effecting spells like charm and confusion, some daemons are flat out immune to spells etc. Summons can trivialize the whole game and certain enemies like mind flayers and beholders practically require them. Invisible stalkers in particular just smear mindflayers. If you are having big problems with a group of mages just summon a bunch of poo poo and sneak up or be invis and get close and sick the summons on the mages then wait for them to fire everything off and their buffs to expire and then they are easy pickings.

For mages:
1st: pretty much just magic missle, great for interrupting enemy divine spellcasters, fire hands or whatever is great for finishing trolls.
2nd: horror, mirror image, melfs acid arrow great for interrupting enemy spellcasters
3rd: fireball/skull trap, haste, dispel magic and spell thrust is great for getting rid of all the protections mages put up
4th: greater malison, confusion, stoneskin, polymorph self is especially good there are some great things to do with mustard jelly
5th: Breach, Chaos is amazing, spell immunity for certain fights like liches who try to maze you.
6th: improved haste, true sight, Contingency, mislead is retarded for thief/mages.
7th: warding whip, DB fireball, ruby ray, spell sequencer more good summons
8th: horrid wilting, clinched fist, maze, spell trigger, simulacrum is the most op spell in the game (almost)
9th: chain contingency, spellstrike, TIME STOP!!
10th: dragons breath and summon plantear

For clerics just fill up your extra slots at any given level with heal and cure spells, I'm not listing these just like I didn't list all the good summons for mages. Clerics also get a lot of good summons but not as many as mages. The reason clerics are not as good as mages is because they don't get contingencies and simulacrum and time stop type force multipliers.

Clerics:
1st: Sanctuary is great, put it up and then nothing can attack you while you heal your friends and cast buffs, then when ready can cast an offensive spell.
2nd: Hold person, Silence
3rd: Animate dead
4th: free action
5th: Flame strike, true seeing
6th: pretty much all 6th level spell slots are heal and more heal
7th/HLA: Confusion, Summon deva

Druid spells are pretty self explanatory and I don't think there is anything remarkable on the entire list. Their best spell call lightning can't be used for most of the game. Any time you are on an outside map though take the opportunity to cast it like crazy.

6th: iron skins, insect plague, true seeing
7th: Confusion, creeping doom

For minsc just hit him with protection from evil and then maybe protection from normal weapons. He's probably easy to kill because he does not have enough buffs. If your front line dudes don't have enough protection from fire or whatever then hit them with protection from energy or whatever other protection from fire spells you have so they don't get hurt as much, and then you can just drop fireballs on them without worry. Horror and chaos only hit enemies, confusion is amazing but you have to be careful with it. If you berserk minsk and send him up with some undead then you can drop confusion and send in the non immune guys afterwards.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 16, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Washout posted:

As long as EEKeeper has retained the SK function, you should be able to set a custom sprite under the Appearance tab. Mindflayer's an option. Or use Ctrl+6, but that's always a little risky.

Kavak posted:

I'd love to see this.
Good enough for me!

Fighters

Trueclass Fighter (PHB)
It can seem odd if you're used to thinking of fighters as just the frontline, and especially in view of their relative power level, but AD&D fighters were usually portrayed as the leaders and rulers among adventuring classes. Partly from legendary precedent in Beowulf, Achilles etc., and partly because they didn't have as much on their plate as other classes. There was a certain expectation that at some point you'd hack your way through a castle and decide to take it over and collect taxes -- just like the De'Arnise stronghold. Becoming a settled lord was a normal way of ending a fighter's career.

All this dovetails with a mechanic that Baldur's Gate pretty much cut out all together: followers. In addition to your actual player party, quite a few classes attracted some random pupils, disciples, mercenary hirelings, specialists and general hangers-on as they advanced and became noteworthy -- about tenth level. You could end up with a midsized army tagging around after your adventuring group, which was obviously not practical for a CRPG. (And in fairness, few PnP groups really wanted to bother with two hundred grubby squires trekking along with them or trying to resolve combat for them all either, so opting out of them was pretty common.)

While AD&D fighters were mostly predicated on good base stats and opportunities -- any weapon, weapon specialisation, good THAC0 and HP -- they got a totally outsized number of followers, and picked them up a level or two earlier than other classes. The most common result was a hundred footsoldiers and twenty cavalry troopers, to which you added a mini player character of 5th-7th level with decent magical gear, and an elite bodyguard unit of another 10-30 soldiers.

Kensai (1e Oriental Adventures, 2e update in Dr #189)
The original OA kensai was ludicrously good, not at all balanced by the no armour restriction, alongside a restriction to using most abilities only with a single chosen weapon type -- and, when using that weapon, he couldn't have any magical version. In exchange, he got good base AC, great level-based damage, THAC0, initiative and AC improvements, fear immunity, free two weapon fighting, the guaranteed max damage kai ability, and an ability to attack everyone in within 10ft at once. RPwise, he keeps getting challenged to duels. The Dragon magazine update for 2e killed off a lot of the extraneous bonuses (fear immunity, two weapons), nerfed the base AC to the familiar -2 bonus, and slowed down most of the ongoing improvements to account for 2e's higher level cap, including getting rid of the AC improvements all together.

BG is basically in line with the 2e conversion, though I don't see any mention of a cap to the damage improvements like in tabletop. Does that keep going all game? The game does add the missile weapon restriction, and changes the kai ability to all attacks over ten seconds instead of one attack, compensating by making it a 1 use/4 levels ability, instead of 1/each level.

Wizard Slayer (Complete Barbarian)
Pretty significantly different. For a start, if you think no magical items except weapons and armour hurts, how about no magical items whatsoever? Also no magic resistance, and no casting failure on hit. And forced Good alignment for some reason.

In exchange, the Wizard Slayer gets some minor detection abilities (magic, illusion, alignment), 1.5x XP for destroying magical enemies and items, and basically the only worthwhile part of this kit -- permanent Protection From Evil. In BG, that's not so great, but PfE is a beloved spell in tabletop because it's a preemptive gently caress you to all mind control effects. Still really poo poo kit overall though. If this were a 3e class, you'd take a one level dip for the PfE effect, and then never look back.

Berserker (Complete Fighter, Complete Barbarian, Spellbound)
About a billion different kits dealing with a temporary enraged state came out over 2e's lifetime. The Berserker kit in BG is fairly similar to the basic kit in the Complete Fighter's Handbook, with some of the penalties lessened in line with later variations on the same theme, like Complete Barbarian's Ravager kit, and a lot of original buffs.

The straight Berserker kit doesn't just go berserk immediately like the BG one. It takes ten rounds to work yourself up into the killing rage, so you have to anticipate the battle and not launch into it. If you don't have prep time, you basically can't use your rage, because you'll spend the vast majority of the fight screaming and chewing on your shield instead of doing anything useful.

That berserker rage is notably less impressive than the BG2 one as well: less HP, no AC bonus, and while you get some status immunities, lots of the big ones -- hold and confusion particularly -- only get save bonuses. Level drain and maze/imprisonment aren't mitigated at all. Further problems are that, while berserk, you no longer get to know your HP total, so you have no concept of how close you are to dying. The rage also somehow puts off healing spells, so you only get the effect when you come out of the frenzy. The one unambiguous upside to the tabletop version is that if you fail an instakill save, you get to put your death off until the end of the rage.

A sort of neutral change is that the Berserk state lasts until combat end, not for a fixed period. You don't have to worry about your immunities running out, or, you hope, the fatigue penalties that come when the rage has finished, as long as there isn't another pack of enemies around the corner. On the other hand, you're obliged to keep attacking the enemy and won't ever snap out of that state until they're all dead or you are. When you do snap out of it, you don't just get the fatigue penalties to hit, damage, and AC. Your exhaustion temporarily reduces your Strength to 5, so you're not going anywhere quickly if you're carrying any kind of weight. Bloody inconvenient if you're normally the strongest party member and therefore the pack mule. On a similar neutral note, you get no penalties to missile weapons outside your rage, but can't use them at all when you are raging.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Druid spells are pretty self explanatory and I don't think there is anything remarkable on the entire list. Their best spell call lightning can't be used for most of the game.
Call Woodland Beings is literally the most useful Druid spell for most of a Druid's life, especially since, as you say, Call Lightning is a total bust for most of BGs 1 and 2. Nymphs dish out a ton of crowd control and buffs, plus have a cast of Mass Cure Light Wounds. Great spell.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
beamdog! please beef up the druid spell selection if you want people to play as one

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

beamdog! please beef up the druid spell selection if you want people to play as one

they are! :v:

edit:

Kavak posted:

EDIT: Wasn't Incarnum some not-the-Force thing from 3rd Edition?

Kind of, yes. It was based around shaping life force into your chakras, so basically the same pool of fake spirituality that SW draws from, you're right. One of the associated classes was called the totemist, that shaped incarnum into effects it wore that mimicked the body parts of signature monsters. For example, a basilisk mask that allowed you to turn things to stone by gazing at them.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 16, 2016

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'd just like existing druid spells to be touched up, aside from a few excellent outliers like Call Woodland Creatures and Insect Plague so many of them are bootlegs of other class' spells or so ridiculously situational they're hard to justify in your loadout.

I think part of the druids' problem is that they are intentionally hamstrung to counterbalance a shapeshifting ability that's meant to make them versatile but in practice is only really viable as an Avenger.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Didn't some version of BG introduce the spell Static Charge? That was the 5th-level version of Call Lightning that could be used anywhere.

Even if they did, 5 is a big level for druids and having another useful spell to compete for your time there is a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My paladin has 16 CON, my dwarf fighter has 19 CON, and I have a Manual of Bodily Health. The paladin could use a few more HP, but if I give my fighter the manual, she could use the vampire sword to provide free healing.