Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CelestialScribe posted:

You guys shouldn't be so arrogant that Hillary will defeat Trump in a general election. He could easily win.

Not easily.

People talk about Trump as if he's this powerful campaigning juggernaut just because they can't believe he's actually winning, but in terms of delegates, total votes, and polls he's actually quite a bit behind where Mitt Romney was last election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

CelestialScribe posted:

You guys shouldn't be so arrogant that Hillary will defeat Trump in a general election. He could easily win.

Maybe if California sank into the ocean, followed by the entire north east and midwest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CelestialScribe posted:

No he can't easily win. Could there be some chaotic disastrous mess that somehow leads to Trump being president? Anything is technically possible. But it won't be easy. On the other hand Hillary can and most likely will easily win, very possibly in a blowout.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Freezer posted:

I'm just having a hard time picturing Cruz's demographic... the people who hear his speeches and then goes "Yup, that's my guy". With any hope, I won't have to hear any more of that after the primary.

My dad believes scientists know evolution is false, it's a deliberate concoction to indoctrinate children into disbelieving God.

He opposes Trump because Trump isn't conservative enough.

There ya go

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

I can also win a sizeable amount of money playing the lottery too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's good not to get complacent whoever is the Republican candidate, but there's no reason to Arzy it up.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

How, every inbred in the country takes a break from watching Storage Wars and registers to vote?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

He could win insofar as it's not a literal physical impossibility that he might do so, but "easily" is not a qualifier I would apply to Trump's chances.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kilroy posted:

People deserve immortal lives free of scarcity, but they probably shouldn't expect it, and they definitely shouldn't take deliberate action to prevent it then complain when it doesn't happen.
Why would they need to be immortal? If there is one thing that is just and right about the human condition, it is the inevitability of death for all, regardless if they are prince or pauper.

Case in point:
http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/when-youre-feeling-low-just-remember-ill-be-dead-i-31008

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SedanChair posted:

How, every inbred in the country takes a break from watching Storage Wars and registers to vote?

I wouldn't bet against the US being dumb enough to gently caress itself over in a nihilistic urge to watch the world burn out of spite for those whose flesh is still animated by spirit.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Trump softens the rhetoric.

Hillary has a crisis he drags in front of the country.

He wins.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

I feel like this is one of those "Any Day Now" things.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

He wins.

Trump could also open a speech by taking a dump on a chair and arguing with it like it was Hillary.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Inferior Third Season posted:

Why would they need to be immortal? If there is one thing that is just and right about the human condition, it is the inevitability of death for all, regardless if they are prince or pauper.

Case in point:
http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/when-youre-feeling-low-just-remember-ill-be-dead-i-31008
nah

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kilroy posted:

You mean, like defecting to the Democratic party or something? Very unlikely and, at any rate, they can gently caress off. We're full.

No, I mean loving off to run their own regional third party, like the original Dixiecrats did. It's the end to their political relevance, since all they could do is ruin the GOP's chances, and that window is already closing. It would help accelerate the move of downmarket whites into irrelevance, which is a net win for everyone else.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 16, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

menino posted:

Don't know how substantiated this is, but seems like poo poo talking lead to punches outside after the Trump supporters were leaving:
https://www.facebook.com/tracy.williams/posts/10154564639173368

I know that Trumps supporters aren't the most congenial or likable people, but holy poo poo it's not ok to loving assault them. Yeah, first amendment rights allow the protesters to voice their opinions on Trump and his politics and supporters, but it sure as hell doesn't allow to assault people for their political opinions. The behavior of the protesters in that description is despicable, both to the Trumpists and to the police, if true. I had assumed that it was Trumps supporters picking fights but from this account it seems it was the other way around. Protester picks fight with Trump fan, Trump fan talks poo poo back, protester starts swinging. If this had been the other way around and Trumps supporters had started bashing heads at a Bernie rally ya'll would have gone insane, but instead you defend this because Trump's an asshat. Guess violence it's only ok when it's your guys doing it!

McCloud fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 16, 2016

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

He wins.

The country is so hyper polarized that a crisis won't matter much, especially when you look at the demographics of the country. The US no longer can elect a Republican president until they stop catering to the white male vote.

That's why the your kill your parents dreams of a Bernie in the WH doesn't matter; unless the nominee can provide some coattails for legislators to ride on then the politics of the nation is still defined by the laws that can be created.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

He's literally not capable of doing this.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

SedanChair posted:

He's literally not capable of doing this.

Yeah. Trump is anti-soft. The most hard.

uh, when it comes to his rhetoric, i mean

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Looks like Obama is announcing his SCOTUS pick today

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

rkajdi posted:

It was already posted in the rightwing populism and the crazy forwards thread, if not already here. Here's a link, but it's behind a paywall: https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/432569/father-f-hrer

Key quote from the article:

There's nothing better than seeing the rural white regressives get turned on by their own party. If we're lucky, they either end up pulling Dixiecrats 2.0 or no major party bothers to court them anymore. Either way ends their ability to ruin the country for the rest of us, and I can't think of a more fitting fate then for them to be ignored until they disappear as group by everyone with the means GTFOing to greener fields.

You're a horrible human being.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

shrike82 posted:

Plot twist: Bernie Sanders

Except we need someone with a 50+ year life expectancy until the bench is stacked 6-3 or more.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Might as well just SHRED THE WHOLE CONSTITUTION THEN.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

His comments on rulings would be amateur anyway. SCOTUS is a job for experienced legal authors / journal contributors of you want clean, rebuff-proof precedent in lower courts.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

McCloud posted:

I know that Trumps supporters aren't the most congenial or likable people, but holy poo poo it's not ok to loving assault them. Yeah, first amendment rights allow the protesters to voice their opinions on Trump and his politics and supporters, but it sure as hell doesn't allow to assault people for their political opinions. The behavior of the protesters in that description is despicable, both to the Trumpists and to the police, if true. I had assumed that it was Trumps supporters picking fights but from this account it seems it was the other way around. Protester picks fight with Trump fan, Trump fan talks poo poo back, protester starts swinging. If this had been the other way around and Trumps supporters had started bashing heads at a Bernie rally ya'll would have gone insane, but instead you defend this because Trump's an asshat. Guess violence it's only ok when it's your guys doing it!

Trumpites are fascists and deserve to get bashed

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're a horrible human being.

So you'd rather that rural regressives have a voice at the table to poo poo on the rest of us again? If they want to be better people, by all means let them in. But there's no reason to court them by telling them it's okay to be a bunch of racist rural shitkickers. They're going to have to conform to what society is becoming, which involves being okay with hispanics, blacks, LGBT people, jews, muslims, and all the "awful" people living in cities. And basically adopting modernity and giving up fighting a losing fight from over a century ago over it. It's going to involve the destruction of the rural white culture they embrace while replacing it with something more compliant with the way society is now and will be in the future.

And if they want to stay in their rural dystopia, fine, but there's no reason to give them special political credence for doing so. The fact that they're now too toxic even for their own party's establishment to tolerate shows exactly how awful they are as a group. I'd be fine with these guys getting better (i.e. accepting they don't get to have a leg up on minorities) but when given the chance their they would rather overturn the apple cart by going with Trump (and to a much lesser extent Sanders) than share it with everyone else.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Trumpites" includes a set of people who are our actual welfare sinks of rundown semi-rural America that needs to be elevated to join the rest of the world in education, opportunity, and quality of life.....somehow.

Unrelated: Yaaaaaay Kasich/Romney winning Ohio.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

rkajdi posted:

So you'd rather that rural regressives have a voice at the table to poo poo on the rest of us again? If they want to be better people, by all means let them in. But there's no reason to court them by telling them it's okay to be a bunch of racist rural shitkickers. They're going to have to conform to what society is becoming, which involves being okay with hispanics, blacks, LGBT people, jews, muslims, and all the "awful" people living in cities. And basically adopting modernity and giving up fighting a losing fight from over a century ago over it. It's going to involve the destruction of the rural white culture they embrace while replacing it with something more compliant with the way society is now and will be in the future.

And if they want to stay in their rural dystopia, fine, but there's no reason to give them special political credence for doing so. The fact that they're now too toxic even for their own party's establishment to tolerate shows exactly how awful they are as a group. I'd be fine with these guys getting better (i.e. accepting they don't get to have a leg up on minorities) but when given the chance their they would rather overturn the apple cart by going with Trump (and to a much lesser extent Sanders) than share it with everyone else.

There is a discussion about wealth, industry, opportunity, regressive social norms and religion that can be had regarding the Middle East somewhere in here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Slate has a new podcast called trumpcast. They are going to finally take trump seriously in it. They plan on looking at what is causing the rise of trump. First episode is pretty good and is a talk with Jamelle Bouie about the racism he is tapping into and now that can be connected to the erosion of white privilege.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...XAfpvA8h789ciQA

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Potato Salad posted:

"Trumpites" includes a set of people who are our actual welfare sinks of rundown semi-rural America that needs to be elevated to join the rest of the world in education, opportunity, and quality of life.....somehow.

Unrelated: Yaaaaaay Kasich/Romney winning Ohio.

Honestly, the solution is compulsory K-12 education with real national standards and the inability of parents to opt their kids out. Make it a point of destroying the pre-modern thinking of the kid's parents as part of educational indoctrination. Culture is only a generation thick at best, so you can solve the problem in 30 or so years at the worst.

I'm not sure anything can be done about the dying small town. They're really economically inefficient, so you should probably try to consolidate communities into larger ones to get better efficiency with services and the like. We need way less people to do our agriculture than we did even a half century ago, so I'd figure the number of required rural people has gone down dramatically.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

There is a discussion about wealth, industry, opportunity, regressive social norms and religion that can be had regarding the Middle East somewhere in here.

As much as I'd love to think that bringing a sense of economic equality to small-town America would result in them feeling better about their situation in life and having less reasons to poo poo on the gays/blacks/Mexicans/Muslims/women-in-general, there are way too many nasty bumper stickers on $60,000 trucks around Northern Georgia to make me believe it. Anecdotal evidence at best, but I work in a factory and it still blows my mind to hear people praising Trump in front of their immigrant co-workers.

These people still deserve not to starve, they still deserve healthcare and they still deserve a decent education and shot at life. That said, I'm not holding my breath that giving them those things will stop the American Daesh from becoming a possibility.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ripoff posted:

As much as I'd love to think that bringing a sense of economic equality to small-town America would result in them feeling better about their situation in life and having less reasons to poo poo on the gays/blacks/Mexicans/Muslims/women-in-general, there are way too many nasty bumper stickers on $60,000 trucks around Northern Georgia to make me believe it. Anecdotal evidence at best, but I work in a factory and it still blows my mind to hear people praising Trump in front of their immigrant co-workers.

These people still deserve not to starve, they still deserve healthcare and they still deserve a decent education and shot at life. That said, I'm not holding my breath that giving them those things will stop the American Daesh from becoming a possibility.

I didn't realize white rural conservatives were chopping off heads now.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kilroy posted:

President doesn't mean poo poo. It's not like, if Hillary is elected along with a massively Progressive Senate and House, she's just going to veto her own party and stonewall on left-wing causes. The problem is that we're not going to get that in Congress, because the only people who come out to vote in the midterms are bitter old racist shitheads. And it's pretty much the same, though to a slightly lesser extant, during Presidential election years too. Believe it or not a solid Democratic-majority House and Senate is possible to elect this year, if the demographics that support those causes turn out at anywhere near the rate as the ones that don't.

We like to bitch about old people, and sure they are awful at higher rates that most anyone else. But it doesn't help any when you got one faction of the (center-)left threatening to stay home on the election day, and another faction basically saying "that's fine with us". That's not how you build a coalition.

Frankly, with what's going on with the GOP right now, maybe the Democrats can stay right where they are platform and ideologically speaking, and there is room for a Social-Democratic party on the left.

This is bullshit because we've seen how Obama used centrist Democrats to play the heel and weaken progressive legislation.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Erick, son of Erick and others have summoned top conservatives to investigate... A THIRD PARTY RUN AGAINST TRUMP!!!

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/top-conservatives-gather-to-plot-third-party-run-against-trump-220786

quote:

Three influential leaders of the conservative movement have summoned other top conservatives for a closed-door meeting Thursday in Washington, D.C., to talk about how to stop Donald Trump and, should he become the Republican nominee, how to run a third-party “true conservative” challenger in the fall.

The organizers of the meeting include Bill Wichterman, who was President George W. Bush’s liaison to the conservative movement; Bob Fischer, a South Dakota businessman and longtime conservative convener; and Erick Erickson, the outspoken Trump opponent and conservative activist who founded RedState.com.

"Please join other conservative leaders to strategize how to defeat Donald Trump for the Republican nomination,” the three wrote in an invitation obtained by POLITICO that recently went out to conservative leaders, "and if he is the Republican nominee for president, to offer a true conservative candidate in the general election."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh boy, a liberal Hindu who got confirmed 97-0 to the federal bench and took his oath on the Bhagavad Gita. The Republicans are going to poo poo bricks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

rkajdi posted:

Writing off an entire segment of the population and saying we should exclude them from society makes you a horrible person.

But I don't expect much from Mr. "Gay men can't be trusted to be sufficiently progressive once they get gay marriage".

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

gohmak posted:

This is bullshit because we've seen how Obama used centrist Democrats to play the heel and weaken progressive legislation.
Well Obama is pretty much a center-right Democrat in the mold of Clinton before him (and after, probably), who had a mostly center-right House and Senate his first two years in office, and an obstinate, hold-your-breath-till-you-pass-out, kicking and screaming poo poo-your-pants right-wing nationalist party in the House and Senate for the remaining six.

So, sure, my proposition breaks down in that case, as expected since none of its conditions were met.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Writing off an entire segment of the population and saying we should exclude them from society makes you a horrible person.
You mean like young voters, you hypocritical gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I know how glacially slow politics can be, but it's been 8 years since 2008. I feel old as gently caress compared to then. And we're supposed to wait another 4-8 years before the possibility of a new, possibly more progressive candidate for president by then?

Right? It's funny, I called my friends who live back in 1996 and I explained that a central focus of the Democratic Primary in TYOOL 2016 was who could best appeal to a widespread protest movement against systematic racism and police brutality. I followed it up by mentioning that a woman was the overwhelming favorite to be president, following two terms of a black president in which we saw the largest expansion of healthcare in 40 years, the legalization of gay marriage, the federal government allowing states to legalize marijuana, and the liberalization of immigration enforcement. Oh, and his presidency happened in large part because voters punished the presumptive nominee for voting to take us to war.

They scoffed "center right neo-liberals" and asked me how the elderly New Englander with populist rhetoric who dodged foreign policy in debates when the spotlight was the brightest and only had a vague domestic platform did. I told them he came in second but remained plausible through Super Tuesday.

Then it went quiet for a moment and all I heard was:

"MORRY TAYLOR"
*CLICK*

• Locked thread