Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Okay, I'm asking you guys cause i'm pretty much at the end of my rope.

I vaguely remember a story I read 20+ years ago. I thought it was by Isaac Asimov, but I think I'm wrong now.

The vague details I remember about this story are only two parts. One, is that the characters are having issues with robot brains not taking impressions well, and having huge problems. They find the solution is to let the robots "sleep" which makes the impressions take better.

One of the characters starts a robot with no impression, making it like a child.

Towards the end of the book, this same child robot (now grown) drops rabbit poop into a world spanning ocean on another planet and the planet looks like it will start becoming sentient.

Does this ring ANY bells for anyone? I've been trying to remember this book for the last year with no success.

There's a thread for that.

The "child-like robot" bit sounds like the Asimov short story Lenny, but nothing else sounds like any of Asimov's robot stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sounds more like Philip K Dick to me, iirc he has a thing for randomly including an animal into his stories.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The drama surrounding goodreads removing the bookends and the G in order to make the home button the logo is still going amazingly strong btw. They have now had to put up a survey so that the Old and Loud lot can fill in a nice form instead of making GBS threads up the groups and blogs with complaints and "why did they remove the home button" when the question was answered for the 4000th time in the post above theirs. I will admit to posting that it was a pebkac error with RTFM and had a fair few replies and several PMs asking what it meant and if it was a serious problem with the site or their computer.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The goon group is pretty cool and I like seeing what people are reading and their comments and reviews on it and it's nice to not be sucked into the crazy part of goodreads

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Guest posted:

Even with you being a gimmick shitposter that's a strange takeaway from me saying it's an often recommended goon book and happened to win a substantial amount of awards.

But by all means continue randomly sperging out.

Neil Gaimen is not a good writer

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Guest posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that there are an ever increasing number of characters that have wink wink, nudge nudge descriptions about who they are, and they've made it clear that it's all kinds of European country's folklore creatures, and I've only been able to guess who 1-2 of them are Odin and leprechaun. Then there's a chapter about a god that eats you with their vagina and I'm stumped because I can't tell if this is something I'm genuinely supposed to recognize about some pantheon god or if they're going to go "Oh she's So And So" later on.

I've seen a lot of goons say this book was supposed to be really good and it has good reviews and a TV show coming up :(

this whimsically written bad fantasy book is just too complex and challenging for a smart man like me who listens to goon and film industry recommendations

hope and vaseline posted:

The goon group is pretty cool and I like seeing what people are reading and their comments and reviews on it and it's nice to not be sucked into the crazy part of goodreads

where's this, let's see these reviews

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a thread for that.

The "child-like robot" bit sounds like the Asimov short story Lenny, but nothing else sounds like any of Asimov's robot stories.

oh, thanks. I didn't see that thread. I'll take my post there.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

The Guest posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but there's no un-archived thread for American Gods.

Am I supposed to know what the hell I'm reading? I get that the leprechaun was actually a leprechaun (apparently) but then there's a woman that eats you with her vagina and fifty other people who are magic and I don't know what the christ any of that is. Did you need to grow up in Europe to catch all these vague references of what these people really are? Does it even matter to the story if you know or not, or does it eventually get spelled out for you plainly like the leprechaun?

lol if you're not widely read in the various pantheons on the off chance pre-Christian mythology ends up being the right afterlife choice. Hope you like hippos/standing around in a realm of chilly fog until the end of time.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

Neil Gaimen is not a good writer

He is as good a writer as Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, Simon R. Green, and The Bald One.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

He is as good a writer as Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, Simon R. Green, and The Bald One.

ah, comic book 'writers',

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

A human heart posted:

My 12 year old would be very cross if she saw that and insist that graphic novels are a totally valid form of reading and that you are "no fun" and "don't understand it"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I enjoyed Voice of the Fire too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Guest posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but there's no un-archived thread for American Gods.

Am I supposed to know what the hell I'm reading? I get that the leprechaun was actually a leprechaun (apparently) but then there's a woman that eats you with her vagina and fifty other people who are magic and I don't know what the christ any of that is. Did you need to grow up in Europe to catch all these vague references of what these people really are? Does it even matter to the story if you know or not, or does it eventually get spelled out for you plainly like the leprechaun?

Every god who matters has their deal explained.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Vagina vacuum goddess is supposed to be a fertility goddess, I think, but I don't remember if it's spelled out which one she is.
In case anyone actually cares past UGH FANTASY, she's the Queen of Sheba of Biblical fame, who in Islamic legends is related to the djinn, hence the lethal seduction - dealing with genies generally tends to lead in characters' deaths by hidden catch. The book refers to her as Bilquis, which is what she's called (okay, that's wikiknowledge) in commentaries on Quran.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 16, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

anilEhilated posted:

In case anyone actually cares past UGH FANTASY, she's the Queen of Sheba of Biblical fame, who in Islamic legends is related to the djinn, hence the lethal seduction - dealing with genies generally tends to lead in characters' deaths by hidden catch. The book refers to her as Bilquis, which is what she's called (okay, that's wikiknowledge) in commentaries on Quran.

Its nothing to do with UGH FANTASY it has everything to do with bad fantasy and its not our fault the correlation is 100%

/smug

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

A human heart posted:

:thejoke: (Though Green is a novelist and nothing more.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I figure this would be the best thread for this. I listen to a lot of podcasts at work but the only book podcast I currently listen to that I like is Overdue. I'm looking for more so some recs would be much appreciated. Since I have a lot of time to listen to stuff I can give almost anything a chance.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like the BBC's book slot which rotates between A Good Read and Open Book as apparently they can't schedule more than half an hour a week devoted to reading. The former is a rotating book club where 2 celebs and the host suggest something and have a brief discussion, the latter is just a magazine format about the publishing world. Normally they start with an interview with someone out this week and then a feature. They also have Book Club which is an hour long, monthly, and has some author or other being berated by a room full of civilians who've read their books. I don't listen to it because that's too long to hear scrubs talk to someone I've not read.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
NYPL has a fairly new one called The Librarian Is In. I haven't listened to it yet, though, so can't speak to its quality.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A few book podcasts I like:

Two Book Minimum: Pretty much done, but with a decent backlog. You have a host, an author, and a comedian, and they discuss books and frequently go on tangeants. The host also does Last Podcast on the Left.

New Yorker Fiction : An author picks a short story from one of their favorite authors that has been featured in the New Yorker. They read the story, and then the author and host discuss why they chose the story, symbolism, influence, etc. They get big name authors often.

Dear Book Nerd: Book Riot's write-in podcasts. They pick questions about books, reading habits, etc. and discuss.

Otherppl: Author interviews. I just find authors I like and listen. The Daniel Handler interview discussing his struggle before and after Lemony Snicket success is great.

I Don't Even Own A TV: The host and guest read and discuss terrible books, from romance novels to Ayn Rand.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Those suggestions should keep me set for awhile (though if anyone else wants to throw in their recs that's also cool), cheers :cheerdoge:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I like BBC's In Our Time which also does history and science stuff depending on how dry you wanna go. BBC also have a 2nd book club called World Book club that follows the same format in Squishy's post.

The Guardian Book podcast has some cool authors guesting on it sometimes

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
The Gay Man writes good stories that I have fun reading. This is the first I've heard of people actually hating him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

The Gay Man writes good stories that I have fun reading. This is the first I've heard of people actually hating him.

Welcome to real life nerdlinger

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of podcasts, WNYC's On the Media two weeks ago was all about books and publishing. I found this segment, on South Korea's efforts to win a Nobel Prize in Literature, particularly interesting.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Where can I get a good EPUB of the bible? I've heard the NRSV is one of the best versions; any others I should look at? I got a NRSV off pirate bay, but it's 4mb (not sure why); my KOBO freezes when I open it, and Calibre takes a minute to load it.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Is it okay to pirate the bible?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly it's the most commonly stolen item of all time, so at this point it's a tradition.

Do works of religious literature enter public domain the same as regular books?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Most holy texts predate copyright laws.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Supposedly it's the most commonly stolen item of all time, so at this point it's a tradition.

Do works of religious literature enter public domain the same as regular books?

Generally yes, except for places with weird laws like the UK where the King James Bible is under perpetual copyright.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The orig Hebrew/Aramaic/Ancient Greek is not under copyright, but modern translations can be under copyright like any work. For example, you can easily find free translations of Plato, Homer or Marcus Aurelius from a few hundred years ago, but they tend to be difficult to read; you have to pay for ones that have come out during the past few decades.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I say if you want a Bible, go to your local Christian Bookstore for the whole experience. Give them a fighting chance to win you over. Take pictures of the weird knick knacks. Take a look at Kirk Cameron DVDs. Make a day of it!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Just hang around on busy streets enough and you're bound to pick up all sorts of religious texts for free.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

krampster2 posted:

Is it okay to pirate the bible?

It doesn't say you can't in the Bible.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

It doesn't say you can't in the Bible.

8th Commandment, Thall Shalt Not Steal seems to be a blanket statement.

Though there are modern arguments that the Ten Commandments were written while the author(s) were tripping on shrooms.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Franchescanado posted:

Though there are modern arguments that the Ten Commandments were written while the author(s) were tripping on shrooms.

I'm utterly convinced. No one could have come up with these simple moral lessons sober

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

I'm utterly convinced. No one could have come up with these simple moral lessons sober

Here's one of the many results from my quick search: Moses was probably high.

I've asked for more academic info into these stories, but no one has given me anything.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
All that's missing is some extremely weak etymology by which "Mount Sinai" could mean "sacred potion" or somesuch

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

8th Commandment, Thall Shalt Not Steal seems to be a blanket statement.

I don't think ancient Jewish notions of theft included caveats for intellectual property and ebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CestMoi posted:

I don't think ancient Jewish notions of theft included caveats for intellectual property and ebooks.

Oh having once owned a Jewish grandmother I'm fairly confident they thought ahead to cover off all possibilities of being ripped off, and there is a catch all clause in there somewhere which covers it.