Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That actually reminds me of a question I always wanted to ask: why did Eric stop coloring his hair? It was a few years before he died, but it was quite horrifying to see him with gray hair. It made him look even more sickly.

My momma's dead happy?! (punctuation intentionally omitted)

Rrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005
"...I'm club fuckin' footed ya as-s wipe-s."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've laughed too hard at this, the impersonations are too good: Hilary Clinton and Bernie Sanders call in

http://picosong.com/Aj4x

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Those are MADTV level impressions. Shameful.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've laughed too hard at this, the impersonations are too good: Hilary Clinton and Bernie Sanders call in

http://picosong.com/Aj4x

I hate these "call ins" because they're actually pre-recorded bits. Most of the time when there's an impression, it's just Howard reading off a script and then playing the relevant sound bite. I doubt Rachel Butera or whoever else are too busy to call in live, so I'm assuming Howard has no faith in their improv abilities or the writing staff just wants their moment to shine.

Feels pretty lifeless as a result.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

moot the hopple posted:

I hate these "call ins" because they're actually pre-recorded bits. Most of the time when there's an impression, it's just Howard reading off a script and then playing the relevant sound bite. I doubt Rachel Butera or whoever else are too busy to call in live, so I'm assuming Howard has no faith in their improv abilities or the writing staff just wants their moment to shine.

Yeah and then he always spends like 3 minutes at the end saying goodbye back and forth Jesus Christ end this lovely but already

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

Yeah, it was especially apparent recently. I can't remember who it was but the "phones" died and Howard was having trouble with the bit. He kept saying "Well, if the phones were working this is what she/he would have said" and then he would play the pre-recorded sound bite. I thought it was weird he kept trying to keep up the illusion.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It was Ham Hands Bill playing either Marco Rubio's or Ted Cruz's dad, I can't remember which exactly. It just made me wish they'd actually talk to the guy instead. I don't think we've heard from him since like the birthday show.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It was Cruz's dad. They have similar accents which makes me wonder if Ham Hands is Cuban.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sorry guys, I just like listening to them curse at each other.

Former Human posted:

It was Cruz's dad. They have similar accents which makes me wonder if Ham Hands is Cuban.

Pretty sure he is Puerto Rican.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just so everyone has it, Artie's email address is, of course, artie@babygorilla\.org_jerseyboy/.com

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just so everyone has it, Artie's email address is, of course, artie@babygorilla\.org_jerseyboy/.com

Can you just JPEG it to me?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Rupert, there's 500 dollars in it for you if you can put that on my blackberry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JB50 posted:

I'll tell ya who I have a jpeg of... JEREMY PIVEN AND 'ADRIN GRINEEEEEEEERRRRR'

Howard, can I tell ya a quick story? Quick story, Howard....

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

quote:

Trump has been a guest on Stern’s show many times over the years. (Sex-related comments he made during those appearances sparked a very minor controversy earlier this year.) Maybe Stern saw something in him as a result of those interviews? As he put it: “I think more or less, people are sick and tired of politicians, meaning that they like the idea of a successful businessman running the country who might actually be able to get poo poo done.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/03/15/trump_s_first_believers_from_joe_scarborough_to_a_masculinity_expert.html

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

JB50 posted:

I'll shoot you an email on my Cedric The Entertainer-Berry

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

this is wrong, it's artielang-e@babygorilla\.org_jerseyboy/.com

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Many of you may recall on the old shows, back when Gilbert was a regular, any time he brought up Alan Thicke he would imitate his voice and say "And there's Gilbert Gottfried...up on the catwalk". What is the origin of that?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Alan Thicke used to host a lot of beauty pageants and other stuff like that. Miss World 1996 etc.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Many of you may recall on the old shows, back when Gilbert was a regular, any time he brought up Alan Thicke he would imitate his voice and say "And there's Gilbert Gottfried...up on the catwalk". What is the origin of that?

Alan Thicke had a late night talk show in 1983-1984 that was supposed to dethrone Johnny Carson called 'Thicke of the Night'. Gilbert was one of the regulars on the show and one of the ongoing bits was that his character lived up in the studio's catwalk and they would try to get him down. It was as funny as it sounds and the show lasted 9 months!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So Howard is doing the Garry Meier podcast? This after relentlessly bashing podcasts altogether and I'm sure he would never do Artie's podcast in a million years.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cactus Jack posted:

Alan Thicke had a late night talk show in 1983-1984 that was supposed to dethrone Johnny Carson called 'Thicke of the Night'. Gilbert was one of the regulars on the show and one of the ongoing bits was that his character lived up in the studio's catwalk and they would try to get him down. It was as funny as it sounds and the show lasted 9 months!

Holy poo poo... I'm a big Gilbert fan, and even I didn't know that.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cactus Jack posted:

Yeah, it was almost the end of Thicke's career until Growing Pains took off. Then THAT was the end of Thicke's career as an actor as he didn't really do much after that outside of a cameo or two in Married With Children.

I wonder if Gilbert has ever done an autobiography. His career has been on the periphery of fame since the early '80s and it must have a bunch of fascinating stories about all of these now-forgotten short-lived shows. Must be a trip.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo... I'm a big Gilbert fan, and even I didn't know that.

Really? He talks about all the time on his podcast. The show had some pretty good talent behind it. Richard Belzer, Arsenio Hall, Rick Ducommun, Charles Fletcher were all involved somehow.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 16, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is strange... I remember seeing a taped variety show/one-off spectacle that Alan Thicke hosted, and Weird Al was in. This probably would have been late 80s/early 90s. It was awkward, because Weird Al's doing his thing, which is what he does. And Thicke is just trying to keep up, at one point he asks 'I'm an informal guy, can I call you 'Weird'? And proceeds to do so for the rest of the segment. The only thing I really remember is Weird Al doing some sort of stunt on a high-wire.

So I try and find it on Youtube, and can't, but just typing in "Alan Thicke Weird Al" brought me this as one of the first five results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiX3erEYBYs

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I don't know if Howard has discussed it yet but CBS is going to sell its radio division.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Short, but sweet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcazpRR9vIw

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Bonzo posted:

I don't know if Howard has discussed it yet but CBS is going to sell its radio division.

I don't really listen anymore but would love to hear it if he talks about it. I'd imagine it would just be him gloating for the first hour of the show.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Really? He talks about all the time on his podcast. The show had some pretty good talent behind it. Richard Belzer, Arsenio Hall, Rick Ducommun, Charles Fletcher were all involved somehow.

Yeah, I haven't listened to his podcast. I'm a lovely fan.

Seriously, I love that poo poo, I need to start listening.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I haven't listened to his podcast. I'm a lovely fan.

Seriously, I love that poo poo, I need to start listening.

IIRC you're an old goon like me. I think it would definitely be up your alley.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jose Oquendo posted:

IIRC you're an old goon like me. I think it would definitely be up your alley.

If you can (and even remember) watch several episodes of Love Boat and say, "Hey it's That Guy" then you would love his guests. If they have on an older guest like Ken Barry then Gilbert calms down a little.

Their goal is to interview the woman who played the "Me So Horny" hooker in Full Metal Jacket. She's a podiatrist in the UK or something but they can't convince her to be on the show yet.

Also I will never get tired of Gilbert's Paul Lynde impression.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
There is an ongoing joke on GIlbert's podcast that anyone under 80 is their youngest guest ever and it is basically true. They get a lot of old guests on that you don't see anywhere else because Gilbert and his co-host really love old horror movies and old Hollywood.

If the show has a comedian buddy of Gilbert's on then they can be quite filthy and hilarious as you'd expect. For instance, the first Artie Lange episode they riff on Tracy Morgan getting paid by Wal-Mart for like 45 minutes and it is some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard. But, if Gilbert gets someone on that he respects or is a non-comedian he'll tone it down big time and do some good interviews.

Bonzo posted:

Also I will never get tired of Gilbert's Paul Lynde impression.

This place smells like oval office... I think.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Something I've really come to notice and appreciate on listening is Benjy's laugh in the background. It's essentially always on point and very tuned in to the absurdity or meta-humor that Howard either ignores or doesn't get(this is about 50/50). Schtick aside, he's very good about catching the humor that slips through the cracks and I very often find myself laughing along with him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Something I've really come to notice and appreciate on listening is Benjy's laugh in the background. It's essentially always on point and very tuned in to the absurdity or meta-humor that Howard either ignores or doesn't get(this is about 50/50). Schtick aside, he's very good about catching the humor that slips through the cracks and I very often find myself laughing along with him.

I love Benjy as a writer, and yeah, I appreciate the random laughs, just as much as I appreciate Fred's "OWWWWW!!!" in the background when someone slings an insult.

That's pretty much all I can say about Benjy, in a positive light.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, what's the best way to listen to Gilbert's podcast? Should I DL it or stream it through one of the services?

Right now, the only things I listen to have streaming apps: Howard Stern and Marketplace.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ok, what's the best way to listen to Gilbert's podcast? Should I DL it or stream it through one of the services?

Right now, the only things I listen to have streaming apps: Howard Stern and Marketplace.

There's a billion podcast apps. Personally I use Overcast.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

That's pretty much all I can say about Benjy, in a positive light.

Footloose speech

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you have an android phone I use Podcast Addict, very customizable and I have mine set to dl all my subscribed podcast updates every day at 7am before work, deletes podcasts automatically when I finish listening to them, and only keeps a max of 3 episodes

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've used Player FM and I like it. You can search for different podcasts, it has a wider selection than Spotify, and you can download episodes to listen offline (I think 10 if you have the free version and unlimited for paid).

Howard has an app? Or is that just Sirius in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Good advice, guys, thank you. I kind of want to start from the beginning, so I might just download the first 25 or so and start there.

Riosan posted:

Howard has an app? Or is that just Sirius in general?

I just meant the Sirius app. But it does let you download whole shows, so go for planes and trains and other places with spotty/no service.