Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bedshaped posted:

I meant to post this here. The schadenfreude is palpable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/16/north-korea-sentences-us-student-to-15-years-hard-labour

Stupid kid does stupid thing. Gets 15 years hard labour. Does he deserve it goons?
I guess this is the new height we'll compare 'it's just a prank guys!' reactions against from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I agree that he shouldn't be breaking rocks for 15 years/until he dies from malnutrition, but I think it's fine to make him think that is what's going to happen to him, for being a goddamn idiot.

Let him break rocks for like a week, and then send him back to the US with a lifetime ban from every visiting North Korea again, or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I think the stupidity is visiting the country in the first place.

I'd rather visit a natural disaster zone than a place like that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spog posted:

It's cool and edgy for rich thrillseekers because of this exact goddamn thing, or to gawk at the oppressive human suffering. It's like touring Auschwitz while it was still in use.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WickedHate posted:

It's cool and edgy for rich thrillseekers because of this exact goddamn thing, or to gawk at the oppressive human suffering. It's like touring Auschwitz while it was still in use.

Nah, the Nazi's wouldn't care if you took a propaganda poster. Maybe NK will start selling them online as a way to increase income due to all of the publicity!

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Nah I'm good with white men working themselves to death.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

At least he'll be taller than everyone he's working with!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

much like reading your posts

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

much like reading your posts

Hey, good one! :hfive:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It's not like this and worse doesn't happen to countless North Koreans a day. This guy was a dumbass and the sympathy/spotlight he's getting for being white is kind of lovely.

If you're older than 12, you're a loving idiot. Or you're just being willfully dense.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Let's just serve up a little animal 'freude for a palate cleanser.

Ever wondered what a pissed off sloth looked like?
http://i.imgur.com/obz5g7v.gifv
:stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

D'awwwwwwwwwww! It throws tantrums just like a toddler!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh my god it's me getting out of bed in the morning.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I always wondered how Sloths managed to avoid getting eaten in the wild. Now I know; they simply tantrum so hard that predators get sick of their poo poo and just leave.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Predator: I'm gonna eat you sloth!
Sloth: BWAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Predator: Aw, come on. Knock it off. What do you want me to do?
Sloth: BWAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Other Predator: Just buy him a toy and let's go. The other animals are looking.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I always wondered how Sloths managed to avoid getting eaten in the wild.

They play dead. Their diet causes them to smell like a rotten corpse.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

spog posted:

*sees multiple enormous flashing signs reading "seriously don't go there you fuckin' gringo idiot they will imprison you"*

"I should go there"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

I meant to post this here. The schadenfreude is palpable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/16/north-korea-sentences-us-student-to-15-years-hard-labour

Stupid kid does stupid thing. Gets 15 years hard labour. Does he deserve it goons?

Any American that thinks visiting NK is a good idea deserves every bad thing that happens to them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's cool to visit NK and unless you do something really stupid, you are 100% safe. Arguably, you make life better for North Koreans by spending your foreign currency in their country. Plus, you won't even be allowed to 'gawk' at the suffering of common people, since 99% of the time you are accompanied by a state appointed 'tour guide' who makes sure you don't see anything too shocking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kay Kessler posted:

They play dead. Their diet causes them to smell like a rotten corpse.

Neither of these points is true.

Sloths have almost no smell, and their diet doesn't change their smell whatsoever. They also don't play dead, preferring to to stay mostly in the trees and hoping not to be noticed. They only go to the ground to defecate, which is where most are killed by predators. They can sort of slash with their claws to ward off predators, but it's mostly for show since they move so slow, and their claws are not overly sharp.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A lot of places Americans should never go have some appealing things about them, like beautiful scenery or exotic animals. What does North Korea even have going for it that a tourist would want to look at? I'm going to assume they don't have a hot restaurant scene.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of places Americans should never go have some appealing things about them, like beautiful scenery or exotic animals. What does North Korea even have going for it that a tourist would want to look at? I'm going to assume they don't have a hot restaurant scene.

It's "forbidden"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paladinus posted:

Plus, you won't even be allowed to 'gawk' at the suffering of common people, since 99% of the time you are accompanied by a state appointed 'tour guide' who makes sure you don't see anything too shocking.

FCKGW posted:

It's "forbidden"

Obviously you aren't walking around seeing the worst poo poo, but the idea of getting close to the danger of the wacky brutally oppressive government is still there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Dude I'm totally flying into a rage! You have at least fifteen, twenty minutes before I lose my poo poo!"

spog posted:

Yeah, same here. I don't want to place my trust in that sort of regime at all. That said, I imagine this idiot will get charged, get imprisoned, and then someone will pay his way out back to the States (probably through China) before North Korea makes up some excuse about him dying in camp or something that saves face. Hell, NK might just hand him back and then lie to their people, doesn't really matter either way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

The very absence of anything good about this country is fascinating.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Did you guys even read the article:

quote:

In a prepared statement read out before TV cameras, Warmbier said a member of Friendship United Methodist Church in Wyoming, Ohio, described as the mother of a friend, had offered him a used car worth $10,000 if he could return with the banner as a “trophy” from North Korea.
Still, he might have been forced to write that but it sounds plausibly dumb.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
White girls always trying to run in an empty city park at 4 AM, white dudes always trying to go to war zones and human rights disasters to get sweet reddit points

"On principle, I should be allowed to do this thing without getting hurt!" It's like they live in an alternate universe.

I wish there was a better way to separate the blue collar white people than saying "privileged", because I'm drat sure Becky who works at the Denny's and Mike the sanitation worker ain't doing this poo poo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It looks like a robot. Also, why can't they poop while still in the trees?

A robot doing the Maccarena.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jared Fogle got beaten up.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/jared-fogle-suffers-bloody-nose-colorado-prison-fight-article-1.2566171

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

veedubfreak posted:

Also, why can't they poop while still in the trees?

No one knows for sure. They're perfectly capable of doing it. They just don't.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I like when pedos get beat up in prison :unsmith:

I know I'm getting old because this has become a controversial opinion for everyone younger than me.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Paladinus posted:

It's cool to visit NK and unless you do something really stupid, you are 100% safe. Arguably, you make life better for North Koreans by spending your foreign currency in their country. Plus, you won't even be allowed to 'gawk' at the suffering of common people, since 99% of the time you are accompanied by a state appointed 'tour guide' who makes sure you don't see anything too shocking.

I watched the first 45 min of The Interview and the place seems p cool, need to finish the film though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

I know I'm getting old because this has become a controversial opinion for everyone younger than me.

It's really not controversial in the real world, only on the internet where people enjoy being able to hold ridiculous opinions while maintaining anonymity. You won't see anyone walking around on the street showing sympathy for Fogle. If he had been murdered, maybe that's a little bit of a different story. The guy deserves a few good beatings though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

fullroundaction posted:

That's because violence is the resort of a savage and the undeserved beating he got just once again illustrates how our hosed up our prison system is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

That's because violence is the resort of a savage and the undeserved beating he got just once again illustrates how our hosed up our prison system is.

You're completely right, that beating was totally undeserved. If the prison system really worked, ideally he'd have gotten much, much worse, as he deserves. Can't eat subs through a tube.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Paladinus posted:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Look I'm just saying no matter how horrendous a mans crime is he should feel totally secure when he is surrounded by incarcerated and violent men 24 hours a day in a confined area thats all

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You know a country has a great prison system when beatings and rape are an assumed part of a sentence. Great job America! :)

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Don't worry, Hillary will fix the prison system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Lol you do have to be old to think that violence does anything besides making the world a worse place.

Well, it's either old, an rear end in a top hat, or an idiot.