Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!

In Training posted:

Are there any good follow ups to Karin's V-Reversal? I couldn't find any in training, but maybe reversals are just to force a reset rather than kick off a combo.

Hold up+forward, free safe-jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Vega's best options are jump back lp. or mk. depending on range or angle

OR

Challenge her directly with an air throw

OR

and I swear to god this works if you get the timing right, lk roll. No, seriously.

If she does a blocked jab into cross up jump in, forward dash or slide under her.

Are these also my best options against a jumping Laura? Because it feels like her air attacks beat mine 100 percent of the time she actually throws them out - which is a lot, because all the lauras I face basically just have this one really safe blockstring they keep using on me every time they get close only to mix in hops over my head so they can cross me up and do it from the other side, and it feels like if I jump up after them I wind up eating poo poo regardless of what button I pick. Am I just being too slow?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 16, 2016

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm playing Chun, what should I use to attack people waking up?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are these also my best options against a jumping Laura? Because it feels like her air attacks beat mine 100 percent of the time she actually throws them out - which is a lot, because all the lauras I face basically just have this one really safe blockstring they keep using on me every time they get close only to mix in hops over my head so they can cross me up and do it from the other side, and it feels like if I jump up after them I wind up eating poo poo regardless of what button I pick. Am I just being too slow?

Set up a training dummy to jump at you with different buttons.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Instant air MK Legs
Back + HP
Throw

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What should I try to hit people with as Ryu when they wake up?

I've been doing cr MK+Hadoken, cr HK, and throw, and sometimes try to jump in and crossup

Should I be trying to do heavier attacks like F+HP into a combo and that sort of thing and try to time it so that it's meaty?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Edit: NEVERMIND someone posted this.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've been doing cr MK+Hadoken, cr HK, and throw, and sometimes try to jump in and crossup

Should I be trying to do heavier attacks like F+HP into a combo and that sort of thing and try to time it so that it's meaty?

You have the general idea.The problem with heavier attacks is the longer start up animation, gives the opponent a higher chance to react rather than guess on wake up. Same goes for jumping in, which is why you switch between trying to do a cross up and simply landing and hitting a low attack. You have to practice the timing on that though. I remember seeing a video about jump-in on knockdown setups for each character (doing whiff attacks to count the number of frames before you jump).

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've had success with f+HP, put be careful doing it against people with invincible reversals. It's safe on block, even if you don't do it meaty. If you land a medium tatsu BnB, you can dash forward and medium punch for a guaranteed meaty on quickrise or backroll that beats 3f normals and can lead to ridiculous damage. If they don't quickrise, you recover in plenty of time to do something else, and if they block you're safe anyway.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Are you supposed to ever not quick rise? Like, is it proper to mix in staying down for a bit sometimes or should you pretty much always at least be trying to tech the fall?

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are you supposed to ever not quick rise? Like, is it proper to mix in staying down for a bit sometimes or should you pretty much always at least be trying to tech the fall?

Depends on your wake-ups.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing 100% ryu since I'm a noob

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm playing 100% ryu since I'm a noob

Read the situation. Most exp. people playing against him expect a DP when you stay down and they are in range. Sometimes you can fake it out with a grab instead since they'll be going for a block.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Brosnan posted:

I hate everything about this.

best part is they're making an LOL fighting game. god loving help us all.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Stefan Prodan posted:

Stefan Prodan posted:

Staying down in this game is usually a bad idea because you're down for so long they get to push your body towards the corner a whole bunch with a couple dashes and still meaty you, or if they're a tricky character like Cammy or Fang they get to set up whatever the gently caress they want on reaction. You should stay down sometimes though, to avoid certain setups you suspect are coming and know to be dangerous, especially if they're spending meter on the setup in some way or another.

With Ryu on their wake up you should meaty them with st.mp, b.hk, or cr.lk, or throw them on wake up.

-st.mp is good because it gives advantage on block, so you can continue pressure (press another st.mp or even cr.mp with fireball buffered in). When they learn not to hit any buttons after blocking st.mp you can get away with stuff like walk up throw, walk up press another button (st.mp again works fine). It also applies some white life "chip" that you can take from them if they take another hit from something else soon after.

-b.hk is good because it hit confirms into an easy and strong combo (link into st.lk xx hp shoryuken, cancel the DP into super if you have it), works whether they got hit standing or crouching, puts them into knockdown if they managed to get airborne before Ryu's stanky leg hit them, punishes backdash with a bit of damage, ALSO does white life "chip", and is completely even on block so you can press buttons or even fish with Ryu's parry right after.

-cr.lk is good because it's a low so it will catch them holding up, back, backdashing, or mashing throw/normals, if you time it properly (this is the "hardest" of these normals to use meaty). It's also the safest of these options against V-Reversals. It combos to a hit confirm (cr.lk cr.lp xx HP shoryuken, cancel to super if you got it) and also leaves you slightly advantaged on block so you can press another button or take advantage of them being scared and do Walk Forward Stuff.

All of these lose to reversals like dragon punches and mika's EX rekka thing, etc, so sometimes you need to make it look like you're gonna do one of these moves and then just don't. If they take the bait and DP you get a punish and they will (probably) be scared to try it again on the resulting knockdown so you get to do more pressure!

Throw is for when you are pretty sure you've taught the opponent to not press any buttons and you want to take advantage. Most players are super mashy in this game so this is definitely the last resort option only when you think you've proven your ability to threaten the above options to them. Good Luck!

https://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/54716857

Here's a bigass set I played with another goon tonight where I (tried) to apply all of these things, see if you can figure out where they worked and why (i.e. what the opponent was doing to get hit). I hosed up my meaties a fair bit toward the end, the latency was doin something fucky where stuff I was SURE was correctly timed ended up whiffing through and getting me thrown.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, the input lag on SFV being that high explains why I'm having a lot of "motherfucker, I BLOCKED that" moments. I'm glad people keep finding these OSs for SFV.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Smirking_Serpent posted:

delayed palm(back+hp) once you have super or they are in the corner(where you can easily follow up with decent damage). You can confirm into super as late as the full recovery of the palm, its incredibly easy for 350 damage.

Otherwise meaty with forward+hk. Blows up any button press, throw, backdash/jump for counterhit combos. Aside from a hard knockdown you can set it up off ex legs best(though it works the same off a connected medium sbk, just sometimes the range doesnt work out as well). If they quickrise and you get a counterhit do jab jab x whatever and just dont hit anything if they block. If they backroll you are at +2 even on block and can press another button to continue pressure or do a combo if it hits.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
so there's been a few posts asking questions about vega, so i'm gonna answer them! for reference, i'm a pretty good vega, not the best or anything, but i know stuff. full disclosure, i do think that vega is actually pretty bad, so bear that in mind!

DEFENSE

vega's defensive options are pretty terrible! he doesn't have an invincible reversal or an armored move, so you're left with the options the game gives everyone: blocking and throw avoidance (jump, throw tech or backdash). this makes getting knocked down against anyone with a command throw kind of a nightmare.

vega's v-reversal is very, very good for some things and very, very bad at others. it's backslash, his old command backdash he's had since super turbo, and it's a SUPER invincible back handspring. it's good in that it allows you to dodge chip setups and punish things that would otherwise be safe, like chun's ex legs or nash's ex moonsault, but really bad in that it does nothing to actually stop pressure. it doesn't knock down or anything, it just moves vega backwards, which makes using it in the corner, when you need it most, potentially a little dicey. do note that vega has two v-reversals: f+PPP which goes farther, and f+KKK which finishes faster.

as far as anti-airs go, vega doesn't have a ton of options. his grounded normals are inconsistent at best, but even so, you'll want to use cr.hp (claw on or off, it's basically the same move) or st.hk. st.hk is slower, but you can super or ex walldive for damage if it crush counters. these options will trade fairly often in my experience. vega doesn't have anything that hits the area over his head (it looks like claw on st.hp should hit there, but it totally doesn't). you can also use lk crimson terror, the last hit has a pretty nice vertical hitbox, but it's situational like all of vega's anti airs.

there are two other options for dealing with jumping opponents, the first being meeting them air to air. j.lp and j.lk are your go tos here, with a special mention for j.mk being your best bet for a neutral jump. if you've got your opponent's rhythm down, or are a bit of a gambler, you can also go for an air throw, which is the most damage you'll get off an air to air.

the last option is to just avoid it entirely, by either dashing or sliding under them. this isn't the greatest option offensively, in that you'll rarely be in a position to attack them effectively, but it will sidestep your opponent's pressure entirely. do note that some characters, and by some i mean birdie, have dumb enough hitboxes on their jumpins that this won't work.

OFFENSE

vega's a stance character in SFV. claw on tends more towards longer range single strikes, while barehand features faster normals and bigger combos, but works best basically point blank. some players take the claw off at the start of the round, or during a combo and leave it off, while others keep it on as long as possible. generally, it's up to you, but there are a few matchups where not having the claw gets kinda dicey (laura and mika, for the most part).

your big damage buttons, the ones that start combos, are claw on st.hp and barehand mp (standing or crouching). claw on st.hp doesn't really lead to other normals except jab, but it's special cancelable. this is great, because you can cancel into aurora slide edge to make a blockstring safe or to cancel into super, OR cancel into stance switch and hit them with barehand cr.mp to continue the combo (into mk crimson terror, ex walldive or reset into command throw).

vega has two target combos: claw on (st.hp, st.hp, mp+mk) and barehand (st.mp, st.hk, mp+mk). claw on target combo is... not great. it deals okay damage but there's no followup possible, just vskill. barehand target combo is much better, and is one of the few avenues vega has for bigass damage, but the st.hk whiffs on crouchers. if your opponent gets hit standing, you can ex walldive out of the st.hk. opting to just like, do the target combo as written gets less attractive as the game goes on, since you'll accumulate v meter by like, playing normally.

speaking of v meter, vega's vskill is weird. tapping mp+mk makes vega pirouette, which has a lot of upper body invincibility, holding does the pirouette followed by a slashing attack. the slash gains v meter on hit or block, which is nice, but the attack itselfs is fairly unsafe. there's probably a lot of cool stuff you can dodge with vskill, but i'm too chickenshit to try it in a real match. the main use for vega's vskill is to completely shut down mika's dropkick. you ignore the actual kick since it hits so high and automatically punish with the slash.

vega's vtrigger is good and cool and basically all of his normals are trigger cancelable. the only followup is after standing trigger, and the only thing you can do is super. the AA rose isn't great (it does less damage than the others) but it's fast at least. jumping rose is good for blowing up fireballs and, if you do it late, can be used to bait out and punish anti airs. do note: vtrigger is safe on block (it's only -2). the landing animation is totally optional (as is the little bow after super).

vega's sweep is a slide, and that has a lot of utility, but! don't rely on it too much, it's crazy unsafe and a blocked slide is going to hurt you.

sadly, your crush counter game is atrocious. st.hk is slow and whiffs on crouchers, so you can't even CC certain moves (karin's ex wheel punch and nash's ex sonic scythe, since they end the moves crouching), and claw on f+hp only combos into trigger or slide, and that's spacing dependent. mostly use st.hk to punish blocked dps or blow up birdie's diving grab, and f+hp in neutral.

cr.mk and barehand stance are great together. if your opponent blocks a cr.mk at point blank, you can use it as a tick for ex command throw. if they don't, great! cr.mk links to any grounded mp. if the cr.mk hit your opponent standing, that's like the only way to actually guarantee the barehand target combo hitting.

OTHER STUFF

losing vega's mask lowers his health by about 10%, but also increases his damage by 10%

don't just like, DO crimson terror, his rolling attack. it's unsafe and if you opponent is like, awake and not having a stroke, they'll punish you. if they somehow don't, you can use lk crimson terror as a tick setup for a jab command grab in barehand stance.

naked, non-ex walldives are almost always a bad idea outside of setups like after a crush counter sweep in the corner or after a vtrigger hit. ex walldives are generally also a bad idea unless your opponent is jumping from full screen or you combo into them.

vega's combos that start with jab won't actually work unless you're point blank, otherwise you'll cancel the jab but the crimson terror won't actually combo.

there's two broad like, schools of thought about vega's meter management: use it all as fast as possible to maximize damage, and bank it until you can combo into super for 50% damage. the problem with banking is that, yeah, once a round you get 450-500 damage if you dump all your meter into one combo, but outside of that your damage output suffers. figure out which style you like better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Weremacht posted:

there's two broad like, schools of thought about vega's meter management: use it all as fast as possible to maximize damage, and bank it until you can combo into super for 50% damage. the problem with banking is that, yeah, once a round you get 450-500 damage if you dump all your meter into one combo, but outside of that your damage output suffers. figure out which style you like better.

if the matchup favors your neutral game and you can win a good life lead just off of your pokes and mixups, hold on to the meter for the fast kill. If your opponent can get in on you and you need to make up ground, use it on every confirm opportunity you get.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

I tried the forced vsync off thing and everything definitely felt a lot better and responsive- I can't believe I didn't notice nearly 150ms of input delay.
Unfortunately the screen tearing hurts my eyes so much that after about 30 minutes of playing I just changed it back.

Don't make me choose between winning a game and not being in pain, Capcom... that ain't right

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Blinn posted:

I tried the forced vsync off thing and everything definitely felt a lot better and responsive- I can't believe I didn't notice nearly 150ms of input delay.
Unfortunately the screen tearing hurts my eyes so much that after about 30 minutes of playing I just changed it back.

Don't make me choose between winning a game and not being in pain, Capcom... that ain't right

Did you try to disable the in-game vsync and then force v-sync from your GPU driver?

Nique
May 18, 2006

What button is Bison's best meaty?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if g-sync introduces any lag. Also, do 144hz monitors even do anything if the game is capped at 60fps?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder if g-sync introduces any lag. Also, do 144hz monitors even do anything if the game is capped at 60fps?

If you're locked at 60 fps, g-sync is just regular v-sync. No, the monitor just redraws the last framebuffer until it gets the next new frame.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Arzachel posted:

No, the monitor just redraws the last framebuffer until it gets the next new frame.

Does that have any effect on tearing?

E: holy crap, if you are a gamer celebrity att just comes out of nowhere and offers to troubleshoot on your Twitter:
https://twitter.com/attcares/status/710058800531681280
HoboWithAShotgun, here's your answer. You need to become a gootecks

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 16, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think that's just an automated response when you tag them. Most of my matches are fine, but the rollback is just this small, noticeable, issue that crops up semi-frequently.

My CFN ID is completely borked though and I think that's a common issue. It looks like there's a bug in their database when it goes to update your info and something breaks.

Like this guy I guess;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kF2_JZR4Q

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does that have any effect on tearing?

Tearing can still happen but it's way less noticable since the torn frame is visible for shorter time.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 16, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Forcing v-sync off in the engine.ini and then forcing it on in nVidia control panel and setting maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 makes input lag and screen tearing not an issue for me.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Displaylag.com posted their ps4 results: http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm loving done with this game, whilst even 5 Bar continues to be a lottery of lag. What's especially weird was, for example, last night i matched into the same Karin three times, and one time it was teleporting all over the place. How it can be so variable is just beyond me.

E: When it's good, I actually enjoy SF5; No complaints there, but considering there's nothing BUT the online, to have the online itself be a coinflip is a dealbreaker for me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Shockeh posted:

I'm loving done with this game, whilst even 5 Bar continues to be a lottery of lag. What's especially weird was, for example, last night i matched into the same Karin three times, and one time it was teleporting all over the place. How it can be so variable is just beyond me.

The other 2 times you were teleporting all over on her end.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Let's all play killer instinct

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

*starts screaming*

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

*starts screaming*

Fine then how about uh

J Stars Vs+

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll see you all at the Guilty Gear fishing hole

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I'll see you all at the Guilty Gear fishing hole

You and all ten people online

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

So basically if you turn off vsync to get ~80ms of input lag on PC you're potentially gaining some form of advantage over PS4 users. I'm curious to see how the SFV netcode handles the discrepancy in input lag during crossplay, if at all.. :v:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've had almost nothing but good experiences online with this game in the past week that I've owned it. I've probably played 65-75 matches, one was god awful, and one other had a few quick blips that I only remember because it flubbed up a combo. Otherwise pretty smooth sailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008