Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Don't tell anyone, but Jhin is just Varus with different power spikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

The Mash posted:

Different roles and playstyles sorry. Varus is almost exclusively played mid-lane, playing him ADC is tantamount to suicide because he brings nothing to a 2v2 from lv 1-3 comparatively to other strong ADC's, Jhin actually has a fairly strong laning phase and becomes rather overbearing once ahead because of how spammable / efficient his Q is. Varus does close to no auto attacking unless the enemy has hard engaged into him and he's landed ult on them, his auto attack is piddly anyways, no steroid and you don't build crit in his build because all of your damage comes from raw AD + penetration for Q. Varus functions better in a kite line up and Jhin functions better in an aggressive hard engage line up, why? Because while Jhin's ult CAN be used for poke, it's optimal usage is dealing damage to follow up an initiation / clean kills up rather than to initiate fights.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

The Mash posted:

Stick to opinions on MF bub

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

Idgi

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Skarner is just Taric with a tail.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Mash posted:

I haven't even played either of those characters and I know that's completely wrong

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As a Varus main I can tell you they are nothing alike. They both have long range line shots but the skills have such fundamentally different purposes that there's really no comparison.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Varus is al ot like MF in that they have magic damage sometimes

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?
Okay guys lets be constructive at least when we're making GBS threads on somebodies opinion. I'm going to assume by the 4th post he gets it.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Played some games and got a couple of chests the other day. So far I have 1/3 of a key.

If two people get an S rank in a game, you only get one chest. Are both champions out then?
When are the specialty queues coming out?
How can I check what champions have used up the chest?

The system is running better than I expected, but my expectations were that it would completely not work and a few patches later they would tune it up to make it barely workable. The fact that there's only one chest type is really kind of a bummer. Well technically there's two, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get a premium chest to drop.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Daemonlasher posted:

Different roles and playstyles sorry. Varus is almost exclusively played mid-lane, playing him ADC is tantamount to suicide because he brings nothing to a 2v2 from lv 1-3 comparatively to other strong ADC's,
Varus ADC has both a higher playrate and winrate than Varus mid though?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why does Jihn and Varus have better snipe tools than Caitlyn?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Jhin will be good in joe play, but will only be run in certain comps in pro play. From master yi's stats I've come to the conclusion that people don't really know how to play their champ until plat, which is why his win rate is higher there than bronze, silver, and gold. His win rate in diamond starts to fall off, and my theory is that it's because people only really start learning to deal with other champions in diamond and up. I imagine Jhin will follow similar trends, as in my opinion he's an ADC that has the most "counterplay."

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Daemonlasher posted:

Okay guys lets be constructive at least when we're making GBS threads on somebodies opinion. I'm going to assume by the 4th post he gets it.

Nah, we must actively discourage smug "I'm immune to the hype due to superior game knowledge" declarations like that. Public ridicule is the best solution I know of for that.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Killed By Death posted:

look at winrate by games played

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
^^^ also that, holy poo poo. And the small sample size, for that matter.

Killed By Death posted:

FWIW, it looks like people who play Varus ADC generally have a good number more games played on him than people who play him mid. FWIW, it looks like it's almost entirely mid Varus on probuilds, so it does seem like at some point in elo his role assignment does switch, just not before Plat.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tired Moritz posted:

Why does Jihn and Varus have better snipe tools than Caitlyn?

Because Caitlyn sucks and I want to delete her from the game.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
boom

headshot

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

If two people get an S rank in a game, you only get one chest. Are both champions out then?
When are the specialty queues coming out?
How can I check what champions have used up the chest?

Yes
No one knows
On your Champions tab there is a gold border around the champs that have S-ranked

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

fat gragas is too easy to play and kind of boring

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

caster minion has proven that boots are a trap item on jarvan

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That was a lot of ArPen.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

NTT posted:

Jhin....is good.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
A friend request has been sent to Gromp Hellscream. IGN GeneralMelchett. Dealing with troll supports in 2 straight games has convinced me that I need friends to play with, and waiting for my real life friends to finally abandon sunlight and social interaction to play Imaginary Wizard Football is taking too long.

Also, could someone who knows Hextech crafting remind me what character essence is used for? I got a Graves shard in a chest today, but I already own him.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

loving ROASTED

bond please stop taking ghost on Jhin

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I looked in the client. If you go to your profile and click on the champions page, the champions that have received chests will have a gold border. If you mouse over them, they will also have a colored chest in the display pop up on the bottom right corner. It's to the right of seasons highest grade. That champion is ineligible to get more chests, but the champion itself doesn't need to have an S ranking.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I shouldn't be laughing because I've been worse, but lol

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hermetic posted:

A friend request has been sent to Gromp Hellscream. IGN GeneralMelchett. Dealing with troll supports in 2 straight games has convinced me that I need friends to play with, and waiting for my real life friends to finally abandon sunlight and social interaction to play Imaginary Wizard Football is taking too long.

Also, could someone who knows Hextech crafting remind me what character essence is used for? I got a Graves shard in a chest today, but I already own him.

To...Make characters.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Lady Naga posted:

To...Make characters.

I figured, but I just wondered if it had any other uses. Thanks, needlessly sarcastic person! :3:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hermetic posted:

I figured, but I just wondered if it had any other uses. Thanks, needlessly sarcastic person! :3:

It's not so much "sarcasm" as "bewilderment" but w/e.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've googled this but can't figure it out and thought I'd ask before I test it myself:

On GP, if you have Cull and you blow up a wave, do you get the +3 onhit HP from each minion it hits or only once?

Since the barrels do proc onhit damage it seems like, if they also proc the onhit +3 HP onto everything it seems like it could be pretty good for lane

Edit: Went and tested in custom, it does not

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2016

Radiantweasel
Aug 10, 2013
For someone in silver 4 who's attempting to shore up their ADC weaknesses would you guys recommend picking up Jhin? I've mostly been playing Ashe but that's because there are few things as satisfying as the cross map arrow.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Radiantweasel posted:

For someone in silver 4 who's attempting to shore up their ADC weaknesses would you guys recommend picking up Jhin? I've mostly been playing Ashe but that's because there are few things as satisfying as the cross map arrow.

If you like easy ADCs with global ults, I'm learning Jinx right now myself. I figure the ult will force me to have better map awareness.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Radiantweasel posted:

He's not easy to play but he's strong in lane

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Hermetic posted:

If you like easy ADCs with global ults, I'm learning Jinx right now myself. I figure the ult will force me to have better map awareness.

Jinx is really good and can hypercarry if she gets ahead. The rockets have really good bullying potential.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jinx is my comfort pick when I'm pushed into ADC. She's not the Best but she's easy to play, can harass from a distance, has a really good CC and her biggest weakness (no reliable mobility) forces you to play safer which helps avoid getting picked out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

How Rude posted:

loving ROASTED

bond please stop taking ghost on Jhin

i'll...think about it

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

intel needs to hurry the fuckshit up with my rma processor hoyl gently caress

speaking of which GUESS WHAT JUST ARRIVED LADS

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Daemonlasher posted:

For what it's worth I still don't get it. I don't mean that they have identical skills, but that long-term, they will fulfill very similar roles. Varus powerspikes at 2-3 items whereas Jhin hyperscales, but long term, I'm pretty sure you'll pick them in similar teamcomps (minus the mid/late considerations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

speaking of which GUESS WHAT JUST ARRIVED LADS

i liked you mroe with a dead cpu

• Locked thread