Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raerlynn posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

He does have a solid point - how do you deal with people who are fully committed to destroying everything simply because it's not their ways, especially as we're seeing in this election, that they're a vocal minority?

I'd also point out that preventing them from participating may not necessarily mean turning them away from a voting booth at gunpoint, but rather that there is no major political party that will support their views, like how the Green party or Libertarian parties are now.

Oh yea that's what 'prevent them from participating in the government' historically means. Good call there.

"When I said we must keep the influence of the mud races out of the government I simply meant that they should be somehow magically confined to third party, less electable, options. Come on guys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hahahah no one knows anything!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, people seem to be making the assumption, possibly on purpose, that when rkajdi says to deny white racists a voice means to deny them voting rights. That's a pretty massive assumption to make. He probably (hopefully) means not having a political party that supports their horrible views.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

That was the only tweet I have seen about Sri. Multiple sources are calling it for Garland, including Nina Totenberg. We will know in 30 minutes when Obama annouces,but I would bet it's Garland.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/710108921000804352

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 16, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, people seem to be making the assumption, possibly on purpose, that when rkajdi says to deny white racists a voice means to deny them voting rights. That's a pretty massive assumption to make. He probably (hopefully) means not having a political party that supports their horrible views.
What he said was "take their children and put them in special schools to end their culture, like we did to Native Americans."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
e: wrong thread

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

An Angry Bug posted:

Well when he also said 'we must take their kids and reeducate them' it's kinda hard to pretend all this 'you know violence is actually ok here' poo poo is just ~in the political sense~

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think there's a point at which one becomes so immersed in the left vs. right categorization of every issue, person, and event in your life that it becomes pathological. Like a learned mental illness or something.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

An Angry Bug posted:

Dude also mentioned taking children to reeducate them. Thoughts?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
.!.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Well poo poo, I missed that bit. gently caress him then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Raerlynn posted:

He does have a solid point - how do you deal with people who are fully committed to destroying everything simply because it's not their ways, especially as we're seeing in this election, that they're a vocal minority?

Suppressing minorities is in ya'll.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Happy Stone Cold Steve Austin Day. Let's remember the halcyon days of Trump.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Proclick read:
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/718871

Seriously can we just get an amendment rolling to give Obama a third term?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dude also mentioned taking children to reeducate them. Thoughts?

Uh, s-see the thing about that is when someone says we need to take children and reeducate them...historically that just means...better funding for public schools! Yea that works! See when you say it like that it's not so bad!

Anyway I unironically support violence against entire states because of voting patterns, I'm human garbage who calls himself progressive because he's been taught that's the word for good guys and wants to put no more thought into that!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno how much of this is true but I think I'm gonna believe in it anyway.
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/710085428272095232

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well when he also said 'we must take their kids and reeducate them' it's kinda hard to pretend all this 'you know violence is actually ok here' poo poo is just ~in the political sense~

I'll grant you that indoctrination and mandatory education sounds ominous as gently caress, but stay with me here for a moment.

Here's the thing about that - a lot of these lovely opinions are because these people were raised in a culture of hate. Their parents, family, community were all complicit in teaching that kind of hatred. Hatred of homosexuality, hatred of Mexicans, hatred of brown people, hatred of government. Many of those people supporting Tea Parties are people who literally have never left their state. They have no concept of the wider world because they've never been exposed to it. I can think of people I know personally who have never traveled more than 150 miles, and even then only for emergency medical care.

What I'm getting at is, when your parents, family, church, community, etc are all teaching you hate, teaching you a warped sense of history, then yeah, the outcome is predictable. I am 100% on board with mandatory public schooling with specific standards on teaching history. I feel like that would nip a lot of poo poo in the bud, like the deification of the Confederacy or the sidelining of native Americans or this fascist rise where we deny putting our own citizens in internment camps simply for their lineage.

If you want an excellent example of this I want to say there was a story floating out there about one of the daughters of the Phelps clan (Westboro Baptist) who strongly believed in that churchs hatred until they were exposed to the outside world, at which point they realized how terrible it was and left.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Raerlynn posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

I'd also point out that preventing them from participating may not necessarily mean turning them away from a voting booth at gunpoint, but rather that there is no major political party that will support their views, like how the Green party or Libertarian parties are now.

What?! Nuance!? In MY D&D?!

No, clearly trying to stop regressive scum from being able to gently caress over cultural and racial minorities makes you Literally Hitler.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I dunno how much of this is true but I think I'm gonna believe in it anyway.
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/710085428272095232

I guess those measures are things like state houses, U.S. House reps, governorships, etc. in which case I think it's pretty undeniable.

The second part is so true that it's rising like Godzilla over D.C.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tatum Girlparts posted:

you just suck so much dude, you're just spouting so much poo poo without knowing anything about what you're talking about and thinking because you're mad it counts more.

Letting them drown, gently caress man.

What else are we supposed to do, meet them in the middle? So a little bit of racism is okay? Mollify them by giving them an undeserved leg up like they've historically had? The way you solve the problem is provide zero political outlet for their racism, and answer any violence they bring forward with state violence, in the form of punishing crimes against minorities by them and government troops and agents deployed against any actual insurrection attempts.

These aren't crazy people ideas, unless you really just want a rural regressive class to continue to fester and cause problems for everyone else who actually wants to live in the 21st century.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rkajdi posted:

So you'd rather that rural regressives have a voice at the table to poo poo on the rest of us again? If they want to be better people, by all means let them in. But there's no reason to court them by telling them it's okay to be a bunch of racist rural shitkickers. They're going to have to conform to what society is becoming, which involves being okay with hispanics, blacks, LGBT people, jews, muslims, and all the "awful" people living in cities. And basically adopting modernity and giving up fighting a losing fight from over a century ago over it. It's going to involve the destruction of the rural white culture they embrace while replacing it with something more compliant with the way society is now and will be in the future.

And if they want to stay in their rural dystopia, fine, but there's no reason to give them special political credence for doing so. The fact that they're now too toxic even for their own party's establishment to tolerate shows exactly how awful they are as a group. I'd be fine with these guys getting better (i.e. accepting they don't get to have a leg up on minorities) but when given the chance their they would rather overturn the apple cart by going with Trump (and to a much lesser extent Sanders) than share it with everyone else.

I'd rather they not be pigenholed. I'd rather they be treated like human beings rather then blamed for every ill in America. (The teaparty actually was made up of suburbanites). I'd rather try to win them, and appeal to their better angels of their nature. Instead of of pretending their a bunch of unwashed yokels out of deliverance. I would rather we not abandon a people being crewed by the system.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Happy Stone Cold Steve Austin Day. Let's remember the halcyon days of Trump.

I can't wait to see wrestling stuff in political ads :allears:

This election season is probably going to be real tough to beat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Proclick read:
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/718871

Seriously can we just get an amendment rolling to give Obama a third term?

I remember on his visit to Africa last year that he said he could run and probably win a third term if the Constitution allowed it. At the time, I didn't think that was true, but after this primary season it definitely is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

rkajdi posted:

What else are we supposed to do, meet them in the middle? So a little bit of racism is okay? Mollify them by giving them an undeserved leg up like they've historically had? The way you solve the problem is provide zero political outlet for their racism, and answer any violence they bring forward with state violence, in the form of punishing crimes against minorities by them and government troops and agents deployed against any actual insurrection attempts.

These aren't crazy people ideas, unless you really just want a rural regressive class to continue to fester and cause problems for everyone else who actually wants to live in the 21st century.

Somewhat by definition, the ideas rural regressives have are 21st-century ideas.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raerlynn posted:

I'll grant you that indoctrination and mandatory education sounds ominous as gently caress, but stay with me here for a moment.

Here's the thing about that - a lot of these lovely opinions are because these people were raised in a culture of hate. Their parents, family, community were all complicit in teaching that kind of hatred. Hatred of homosexuality, hatred of Mexicans, hatred of brown people, hatred of government. Many of those people supporting Tea Parties are people who literally have never left their state. They have no concept of the wider world because they've never been exposed to it. I can think of people I know personally who have never traveled more than 150 miles, and even then only for emergency medical care.

What I'm getting at is, when your parents, family, church, community, etc are all teaching you hate, teaching you a warped sense of history, then yeah, the outcome is predictable. I am 100% on board with mandatory public schooling with specific standards on teaching history. I feel like that would nip a lot of poo poo in the bud, like the deification of the Confederacy or the sidelining of native Americans or this fascist rise where we deny putting our own citizens in internment camps simply for their lineage.

If you want an excellent example of this I want to say there was a story floating out there about one of the daughters of the Phelps clan (Westboro Baptist) who strongly believed in that churchs hatred until they were exposed to the outside world, at which point they realized how terrible it was and left.

Ok but the problem is you do understand that you cannot give this power to a political branch of a government because even if what you're saying is right and good and all that then you're opening it to future abuses, right?

rkajdi posted:

You answer them by doing things that people like you always seem to have excuses not to do, by getting active as citizens. You can't give this level of power to the government, you have to have it as a citizen movement or A) it'll only get fought harder than usual in these areas, and B) it'll wind up rife with abuse and poo poo like that as time goes on.

This also isn't a crazy person idea, it's, ya know, what actual civil rights movements involve.

e:

Crowsbeak posted:

I'd rather they not be pigenholed. I'd rather they be treated like human beings rather then blamed for every ill in America. (The teaparty actually was made up of suburbanites). I'd rather try to win them, and appeal to their better angels of their nature. Instead of of pretending their a bunch of unwashed yokels out of deliverance. I would rather we not abandon a people being crewed by the system.

Oh yea also this too. In general gently caress your classist bullshit blaming all our ills on the filthy poors, it was sheltered suburban babymen like you that made up most of these groups, I guess you'd be ok taking some blows for the revolution yourself?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

I can't wait to see wrestling stuff in political ads :allears:

This election season is probably going to be real tough to beat.

Yeah until now he's faced opponents who couldn't go after his issues. The general electorate isn't as favorable to things like insane two thousand mile long walls and religious tests for admission into the country.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember on his visit to Africa last year that he said he could run and probably win a third term if the Constitution allowed it. At the time, I didn't think that was true, but after this primary season it definitely is.

Would Sanders supporters be more or less likely to vote for Obama instead of Clinton?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would Sanders supporters be more or less likely to vote for Obama instead of Clinton?

Sanders supporters probably wouldn't vote for Obama either. But Sanders supporters can't be arsed to get out and vote for Sanders himself, so...

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Crowsbeak posted:

Except you're dealing with a populace who will resist that because that IS what their little angel tells them is right. I'm all for benefit of the doubt, but there's a saying about how once is an accident, twice is coincidence, thrice is act of the enemy.

When do you say enough? How many chances do you give to people who revel in hurting others? Who revel in hatred? Who take pride in it and wear it like a badge of honor? You can't shame these people without a concerted effort, and even then that often gets interpreted as oppression.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Trump

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sanders supporters probably wouldn't vote for Obama either. But Sanders supporters can't be arsed to get out and vote for Sanders himself, so...

They turned out the youth vote like a motherfucker but he loses every other demographic and you just can't out turnout old people.

FWIW I think most Sanders people who would've voted Democrat otherwise are going to come around. The libertarians and populists would've have voted D anyway.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'd happily teach the poor brainwashed children of the evangelical population proper history and science, and to think critically about personally held beliefs. If this makes me a monster, so be it.

Crowsbeak posted:

Even though they're screwed by the system, they actively choose to be bastards to anyone not like themselves. Do not remove their agency and free will in a naive attempt to paint them as the victim.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Polls have shown that a very small percentage of Bernie supporters would go Trump. Don't listen to the awful Bernie Bros.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Raerlynn posted:

Except you're dealing with a populace who will resist that because that IS what their little angel tells them is right. I'm all for benefit of the doubt, but there's a saying about how once is an accident, twice is coincidence, thrice is act of the enemy.

When do you say enough? How many chances do you give to people who revel in hurting others? Who revel in hatred? Who take pride in it and wear it like a badge of honor? You can't shame these people without a concerted effort, and even then that often gets interpreted as oppression.

Maybe stop pigenholing people living in small towns for one. You guys do know that when you don't even try to appeal to them. (Which is more the Clinton, and Dukakis types faults). They tend to not vote right? Hell the don't even make up the majority of the GOP base thats suburbanites.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 16, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raerlynn posted:

They get literally as many chances as the rest of us do, that's the loving point of democracy.

You are allowed to be wrong, you are allowed to be a terrible person, you are allowed to support regressive poo poo. If you win in these areas supporting those regressive things then the progressive factions in your area have to face the reality that this was a failure on their part rather than a case of wrongthink that must be beaten down.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

The Native Americans would like a word with you about that.

No we don't.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

So basically there is zero reason to vote for Hillary as a progressive after he gets through. He will get through

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh thanks Freep thread, you actually helped me.

Does it help some of you if I say this is exactly who you sound like

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432796/working-class-whites-have-moral-responsibilities-defense-kevin-williamson

quote:

It is immoral because it perpetuates a lie: that the white working class that finds itself attracted to Drumpf has been victimized by outside forces. It hasn’t. The white middle class may like the idea of Drumpf as a giant pulsing humanoid middle finger held up in the face of the Cathedral, they may sing hymns to Drumpf the destroyer and whisper darkly about “globalists” and — odious, stupid term — “the Establishment,” but nobody did this to them. They failed themselves. If you spend time in hardscrabble, white upstate New York, or eastern Kentucky, or my own native West Texas, and you take an honest look at the welfare dependency, the drug and alcohol addiction, the family anarchy — which is to say, the whelping of human children with all the respect and wisdom of a stray dog — you will come to an awful realization. It wasn’t Beijing. It wasn’t even Washington, as bad as Washington can be. It wasn’t immigrants from Mexico, excessive and problematic as our current immigration levels are. It wasn’t any of that. Nothing happened to them. There wasn’t some awful disaster. There wasn’t a war or a famine or a plague or a foreign occupation. Even the economic changes of the past few decades do very little to explain the dysfunction and negligence — and the incomprehensible malice — of poor white America. So the gypsum business in Garbutt ain’t what it used to be. There is more to life in the 21st century than wallboard and cheap sentimentality about how the Man closed the factories down. The truth about these dysfunctional, downscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. Morally, they are indefensible. Forget all your cheap theatrical Bruce Springsteen crap. Forget your sanctimony about struggling Rust Belt factory towns and your conspiracy theories about the wily Orientals stealing our jobs. Forget your goddamned gypsum, and, if he has a problem with that, forget Ed Burke, too. The white American underclass is in thrall to a vicious, selfish culture whose main products are misery and used heroin needles. Donald Drumpf’s speeches make them feel good. So does OxyContin. What they need isn’t analgesics, literal or political. They need real opportunity, which means that they need real change, which means that they need U-Haul.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This SCOTUS thing has made me plum run out of rage-steam :allears:

What's the over/under on the GOP accepting the moderate olive branch vs. digging their heels in and maybe doing a filibuster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

This SCOTUS thing has made me plum run out of rage-steam :allears:

What's the over/under on the GOP accepting the moderate olive branch vs. digging their heels in and maybe doing a filibuster?

Five.

• Locked thread