Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "collapse". Short of a massive popular revolution, I can't see the North Korean society degrading to the point of complete breakdown of the system. Even if the central government falls, there are plenty of regional power-holders and generals to take the reins of the system and declare themselves the next Supreme Leader, and it's more convenient for NK's neighbors to immediately recognize whoever ends up with the nukes as the new leader of the DPRK and give them a bit of aid to help them stabilize things, rather than invading and taking responsibility for the population. If the civil system of North Korea totally fails, there would be little choice but to take control and build a puppet government as fast as possible, but I don't consider a total disintegration of society like that to be as likely as one of the "as your new future dictator, congrats on overthrowing the old dictator, I will totally make things better and not abuse you, honest" events that South Korea is so familiar with.
My mental picture of how a collapse would proceed is somewhat more anarchic. I can definitely see the government replacing KJU with a non-Kim leader. And if that leader presided over a more-or-less gradual collapse that reached the point where other nations had to step in, I can definitely see China, the US, and South Korea supporting such a leader as the nominal head of a puppet government.

But if the central government suddenly collapsed for any reason, I don't see any regional military leader emerging as a figurehead that intervening nations would want to endorse. The lack of food, fuel, and equipment is so dire that I expect the military and police to fracture into factions that would be too concerned with stockpiling said food, fuel, and equipment to establish any provisional government worth mentioning. I expect they'd be more like heavily armed gangs than anything that could be called an army.

Anosmoman posted:

I'm not sure you could have a popular revolution in NK. It seems too controlled and repressive for opposition groups to get organized.

Cliff Racer posted:

They wouldn't be marching on Dear Leader, they'd be marching FOR him, against his unworthy son who has been lead astray.
Well, it depends on what you mean by control. The authorities only have so much ability to exercise constant police-state supervision over the population. But if the people wanted to march on Pyongyang en masse, they'd collapse from fatigue and hunger on the way.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Stupid question. but how has a plague/virus/whatever not almost destroyed north korea yet. I doubt they have good healthcare despite what their appologistes attest. I know famine related syndroms and diseies are rampant. I am just surprised their hasn't been a cholera epidemic.
Adding to what fishmech said, at least 40% of the population is rural and the overall population density is a fraction of South Korea's. Combined with the lack of freedom and ability to travel, and you're not likely to see a communicable disease wipe out people across the country. You can point to places throughout history where more diverse groups of people were more tightly packed and with even worse medical care, and plague didn't wipe them all out. But hepatitis B, tuberculosis, and above all, malnutrition are still serious problems in North Korea. Often, meth substitutes for real medicine.

CelestialScribe posted:

Someone smart tell me whether I should be worried about North Korea readying nukes.
North Korea has demonstrated a capacity to use nuclear weapons to annihilate small portions of North Korea and large portions of North Korea's GDP.

Cliff Racer posted:

I'll go so far as to say that the next ruler of North Korea probably will not be a direct ancestor of KIS.
He'd have to be really old! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's not like pre-industrial nations were just constantly devastated by plagues every few decades, humanity has survived for thousands of years without modern medical care. Even if North Korea was at that level you can't expect the country to just spontaneously explode from disease.

And it's not at that level anyway. There's an account from a doctor in Nothing to Envy if you're interested in reading about it. They have sparse access to modern drugs but they're still educated, and that was during the famine so it might have gotten better now.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Stupid question. but how has a plague/virus/whatever not almost destroyed north korea yet. I doubt they have good healthcare despite what their appologistes attest. I know famine related syndroms and diseies are rampant. I am just surprised their hasn't been a cholera epidemic.

In addition to the factors other have mentioned, it also seems like you're grossly underestimating the importance of basic sanitation measures in preventing things like a cholera outbreak from turning into a full-scale epidemic. Proper sewage disposal, sterilization, and water treatment (via heat, chlorine, UV) do not exactly require super advanced medical infrastructure to implement properly once you have the knowledge. North Korea's development level is more than sufficient for such things, even with the obvious resource and technological deficiencies it suffers. I would also assume that an authoritarian police state that doesn't really give a fig for things like rule of law or human rights could implement some pretty effective monitoring/quarantines in the face of an outbreak if it chose to do so.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 4, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, it depends on what you mean by control. The authorities only have so much ability to exercise constant police-state supervision over the population. But if the people wanted to march on Pyongyang en masse, they'd collapse from fatigue and hunger on the way.

I suppose I should make it clear that I do not think that any sort of popular uprising is possible. My version would be a military uprising lead by a general/security service overseer who is either very ambitious or very worried that he's hosed under the current system so might as well try.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Someone smart tell me whether I should be worried about North Korea readying nukes.

If you mean the latest announcements from Lil' Kim, no. The DPRK regularly issues declarations of war, threats to annihilate random American cities (once they threatened to attack Austin - I can only presume because I live here and somehow offended the Great Marshal) which from any other country on the planet would be cause for distress and swift defensive mobilization, but from North Korea simply means "It's Thursday". Some highlights:

quote:

Due to the U.S. and south Korean puppet forces' reckless provocation and war moves, the situation on the Korean Peninsula has gone beyond the controllable level and the worst physical conflict has now become unavoidable.

Never has there been such a time as now when the Korean Peninsula has faced such a great danger of nuclear war.

Under the prevailing situation the army and people of the DPRK turned out in an all-out action to annihilate the enemies.

The all-out action represents a battle of justice for defending the dignity and sovereignty of the nation.

The U.S. and its followers provoked the DPRK over its successful launch of satellite Kwangmyongsong 3-2, pride and happiness of Koreans. This was an intolerable insult and hideous challenge to the dignity and sovereignty of the nation.

quote:

If the U.S. and other hostile forces persistently seek their reckless hostile policy towards the DPRK and behave mischievously, the DPRK is fully ready to cope with them with nuclear weapons any time.

quote:

The DPRK is a nuclear weapons state whether one recognizes or not. Accordingly, the relations between the DPRK and the U.S. are the ones between nuclear weapons states. If the U.S. uses nukes, the DPRK is compelled to strike the U.S. mainland with its nukes. The DPRK has already declared its principled stand that it would react to the U.S. nuclear blackmail with a merciless nuclear attack and to a war of aggression with an all-out war of justice. The DPRK can never repress its anger as the U.S. is bringing the dark clouds of a nuclear war to hang over the DPRK while seeking to stand in confrontation with it to the last.

That was why the dear respected Marshal Kim Jong Un, supreme commander of the KPA, finally examined and ratified the plan of the Strategic Rocket Force for firepower strike in view of the prevailing grim situation. This is a just military step for self-defence to put a definite end to the time when the U.S. used to threaten and blackmail the DPRK with its nukes.

Time has come to show the U.S. the might of Songun Korea.

You can see ravings like this on the state news website (kcna.co.jp - hosted on a Japanese server in the enemy camp as part of the Final Victory, presumably) on a daily basis. As for why the North Koreans do this, primarily to justify to their own people why they live in poverty and near-starvation, and universal decade-long conscription - because according to the state, the evil Americans have been attacking North Korea for decades and they live under wartime conditions. Similarities between this sort of propaganda and the life of Winston Smith and his compatriots in 1984's Airstrip One is left as an exercise for the interested reader.

If you really fall down the rabbit hole of trying to understand the alternate universe of North Korean propaganda, The Cleanest Race is a good place to start.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 7, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i should count the facile comparisons to orwell novels itt. i bet it would number in the hundreds

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Homework Explainer posted:

i should count the facile comparisons to orwell novels itt. i bet it would number in the hundreds

Oh no... if you conclusively prove that D&D doesn't discuss well, they'll close the forum down! :ohdear:

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I heard the norks are planning on liquidating Southern assets, which I would assume is the Kaesong plant. Any confirmation?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That and the stuff at Mt. Kumgang, yes. Or at least thats what the BBC said.

edit: It would be nice if this were the thing that finally made businesses stop and say, "maybe we shouldn't put any physical investments in North Korea." But as history has proven, thats not how capitalism works.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
https://www.nknews.org/2016/03/u-s-student-gets-15-years-hard-labor-for-attempted-theft-of-poster/

quote:

US student Otto Warmbier has been given 15 years hard labour in North Korea for crimes against the state.

:eyepop:

okay now I do feel for the guy. he picked a really unlucky time to pull that stunt.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Koramei posted:

https://www.nknews.org/2016/03/u-s-student-gets-15-years-hard-labor-for-attempted-theft-of-poster/

okay now I do feel for the guy. he picked a really unlucky time to pull that stunt.

Do most prisoners of this kind serve their full sentences or is it more likely that he'll be used to bargain for something?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The non-ethnically Korean ones tend to get out pretty quick, but things are pretty tense right now. He's probably not gonna have to do all 15 years but he may be poo poo out of luck for a fair while.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NK wants to bargain for him but the US doesn't wanna cave for at least a year or until this curent crisis blows over. It's gonna suck for him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Lesson here: Really don't go to North Korea.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
My first reaction was 'That's clearly a vacation suit. I guess if you're gonna visit NK you better bring an extra suit to stand trial in.' At least he didn't have to wear a Hawaiian shirt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Koramei posted:

I like how they concocted a bullshit story about how his college prank was really a plot by an anti-communist American church and the CIA to steal North Korean propaganda and he was actually a paid agent.

I get the feeling that if we can't negotiate a release, we're not going to see this kid alive in 15 years.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
North Korea isn't going to let their white token die. It won't be pleasant, but it will be way better than if he were korean.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
He's still useful as a bargaining chip 10 years from now ya dumbie.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gotta find extras to play the white dudes in propaganda films somehow.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That guy should have been given 40 lashes Singapore style then released.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

That guy should have been given 40 lashes Singapore style then released.

I don't think you really get the idea of a gulag system.

It's not to serve justice or punishment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Koramei posted:

He doesn't deserve 15 years of hard labor, but it's really hard for me to feel sorry for a guy who is so totally stupid as to pull a stunt in North loving Korea. That's got to be absolute number one on the list of places where you don't gently caress around and you keep your god damned hands to yourself.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He doesn't deserve 15 years of hard labor, but it's really hard for me to feel sorry for a guy who is so totally stupid as to pull a stunt in North loving Korea. That's got to be absolute number one on the list of places where you don't gently caress around and you keep your god damned hands to yourself.

He deserves to be called an idiot for walking into a totalitarian dictatorship for bragging rights, but would vastly prefer he'd be mocked at home than become NK's latest propaganda prize.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's really sad is that I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give him all the propaganda posters he wanted if he just asked. Of course he's just a dumbass who wanted to do something exciting but the way NK spun this into a huge huge conspiracy is just mind blowing, if not unexpected.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Agreed, not to mention his trip basically helped to fund the lovely regime. That is not even counting what will inevitably be bargained to get him back. Still, hipsters gotta have their sweet ironic vacations, doubt this will stop the next dozen morons from thinking twice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
North Korea has apparently launched a ballistic missile off the east coast of the peninsula. I'm guessing for it to just fall into water, but that's quite the ballsy move.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/17/asia/north-korea-missile-launch/index.html

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I get the feeling that if we can't negotiate a release, we're not going to see this kid alive in 15 years.

Am I the only one thinking the CIA should just call up Kim Jong Un posing as Michael Jordan and ask him to release the kid? It turns out that the entire three-peat era Bulls team are passionate about nuclear non-proliferation as well for some reason!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

c0ldfuse posted:

He's still useful as a bargaining chip 10 years from now ya dumbie.

Which is exactly why he isn't going to keel over and die if NK can help it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Aw, North Korea launched another missile. Tantrum, ahoy!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Geostomp posted:

He deserves to be called an idiot for walking into a totalitarian dictatorship for bragging rights, but would vastly prefer he'd be mocked at home than become NK's latest propaganda prize.

gently caress him. The longer he stays and suffers for his loving ego, the less dumbfuck hipster tourists will go to North Korea and help fund their regime.

BonoMan posted:

North Korea has apparently launched a ballistic missile off the east coast of the peninsula. I'm guessing for it to just fall into water, but that's quite the ballsy move.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/17/asia/north-korea-missile-launch/index.html

Apparently they fired two, but one blew up in midair. Still not quite confirmed on that one, though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

mobby_6kl posted:

What's really sad is that I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give him all the propaganda posters he wanted if he just asked.
That's assuming that he actually took a poster in the first place.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

OneEightHundred posted:

That's assuming that he actually took a poster in the first place.

I see absolutely no reason to doubt the North's story. They haven't been caught lying about the past American tourists who have been arrested. The one guy really did try to pass on a Bible and the other one really did try to defect/claim asylum/whatever bizarre poo poo he was up to. Well, no reason to doubt the part of the story where he tried to rip down a poster anyway, the CIA/Korean church part is a little doubt-able.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
^^^This. They've always been pretty guileless about this sort of thing. Spy this, propagandist that; the only reason they'd throw in something believable like "stole a poster" is because it actually happened.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

nm posted:

Which is exactly why he isn't going to keel over and die if NK can help it.

On that comment we were responding to the same guy you had just got a comment in before me so it didn't flow right.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there an actual picture of the poster this twit tried to steal? I must have missed it in all the ballyhoo.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There are pictures of level five floating around on the internet but all of them seem to show murals and not posters.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is there an actual picture of the poster this twit tried to steal? I must have missed it in all the ballyhoo.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
If he tried to steal a mural it's understandable they are a little pissed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

That would just be giving North Korean propaganda the exposure it wants. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

waitwhatno posted:

I don't think you really get the idea of a gulag system.

It's not to serve justice or punishment.

No poo poo.