Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Olivia is pretty good while managing to be a lot worse than Olivia Voldaren

If you get to untap with her she's insane but she's going to die, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
thank god she dies to bolt

also this is your friendly reminder to look at Jace's card number

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

So Jace is just great right?

Plus is great, minus is relevant, ultimate doesn't doesn't outright win you the game but isn't terrible either.

I would say he is just great. The only thing to figure out is if 5 cmc plainwalkers are going to be viable in the meta.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm gonna walk back what I said about Jace. He's good but he's closer to Ob Nix level power than Flip Jace or Jace, AOT. 5 mana is a thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Four Score posted:

thank god she dies to bolt

also this is your friendly reminder to look at Jace's card number

'fraid I don't follow.

Unless this is a hurr hurr 69 joke.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If you get to untap with her she's insane but she's going to die, a lot.

So basically like the previous olivia, just even more aggressive costed. B/R really feels like the aggro color of this next rotation and I really like it. Can k-command rise even further?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
investigator jace should investigate

otherwise good card that'll be the second best jace in standard

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Olivia seems good and has a bad name

Jace seems good but maybe expensive for the effects? He wants a standard with a 4cmc sweeper more than anything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

'fraid I don't follow.

its a funny number

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Uncharted Realms summary: Jace goes for an audience with Liliana and asks her to help him find Sorin and she tells him he's crazy to want to find Sorin

Also it gave us these "masterpieces"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What's with Olivia's sword? I thought the weapons with empty space in the middle was a Zendikar thing.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

'fraid I don't follow.

it's a hurr hurr 69 joke you humorless autist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

Olivia, Mobilized for War is a horrible name for a card

"Mobilized for War" is one of the coolest second clauses on a card ever imo. Though it would work better on a token generator or something, a single person doesn't really "mobilize"

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The more I look at olivia, the more I like the card. If anymore cheap/aggressive madness cards in b/r get spoiled this card to get really expensive.

Olivia into drana.... magical christmas land.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 16, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

its a funny number

Imagine if they had a set with, get this, 420 cards :D

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

new sigarda is cool

why doesn't she have hexproof though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone's gonna make a planeswalkers deck and they're gonna call it the funny number and SCG will rename it to something boring like four-color control and that's what everyone's gonna call it instead. :mad:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine if they had a set with, get this, 420 cards :D

lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ugh she's bad.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

its a funny number

One of the funniest

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

new sigarda is cool

They've dialed back hexproof as to powerful. Hexproof essentially has conditions now. You can give it to something else but don't have it yourself, or you can have it but it might not always be on etc.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

new sigarda is cool

Last time she had hexproof and was obnoxious as a direct consequence of having hexproof.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Olivia into thunderbreak seems gross as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
lol @ Sigarda herself not having hexproof

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

jassi007 posted:

They've dialed back hexproof as to powerful. Hexproof essentially has conditions now. You can give it to something else but don't have it yourself, or you can have it but it might not always be on etc.

Or you cost 7

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Consider this entire page bookmarked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Ugh she's bad.
Preordering 4 now. :homebrew:

But seriously, she's okay but not great. 5 mana is probably too slow to do anything of use with, even with some solid ramp you're looking at burning a couple turns on a mediocre flier and some 1/1s. Maybe with Gideon's anthem emblems and some early game humans she might be decent? definitely a blowout in draft.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Nice to have a Jace that is just regular, uninteresting, and good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Uncharted Realms, Magic Story

* Jace rides through the woods of Innistrad on a horse. He has acquired a new coat. He's telling his guide all about this trials and tribulations with Liliana Vess much like an annoying guy at a bar. The guide gets so annoyed by this he turns into a werewolf and tries to live the dream of murdering Jace. Jace tries to use illusions on the werewolf pack that shows up, but it doesn't work, so he creates solid Phantasmal Bears and hits them, which also doesn't really work. He then invades the werewolf's mind and makes them fight each other before reaching the gates of his destination and his his telekinesis, a power he didn't have last week, to unlock it and keep the last werewolf away.

* Jace finds himself surrounded by zombies, who take him to their master, Liliana. Lili is in full-on smuglord mode and tells Jace how much he sucks and how she refuses his help. Jace tells her about the Gatewatch and admits she probably doesn't give a gently caress. Jace is correct: Lili doesn't give a gently caress. He tells her that he needs to find Sorin Markov, and she sells Sorin as the biggest badass ever who could and would kill them both. Jace says "fine, gently caress you I'm heading for Markov Manor." Lili gets upset because Markov Manor is full of the bad guy vampires but Jace is planning to go there anyways. She tries to intimidate him with a zombie attack, which doesn't really work. He says he's going anyways, and she tells him to stay the night, which causes Jace to immediately get hopeful he's gonna score. Instead he has to sleep in a dungeon.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

anglachel posted:

People didn't like Kamigawa because it was the super low power level set wedged between Mirrodin and Ravnica.

It really is some Battlestar Galactica "All this has happened before..." poo poo, with Mercadian MasquesKamigawa being a really flavorful set which was intentionally powered-down because players were sick of the fast mana and broken artifacts of Urza BlockMirrodin and would be completely overshadowed by the well thought-out and super-fun multicolored block InvasionRavnica that came after it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Olivia, Mobilized for War is a horrible name for a card

Also goofy as hell art.

That Jace +1 though. If there's a control deck it basically has to run Jace, right? Especially in the mirror.
It reminds me of Narset, where the ultimate is something a lot of decks just can't beat and the +1 slowly gets you card advantage -- except the +1 on this one is so, so much better with the scry and actually drawing a card every time you use it.
And the -2 is a bit more reliable even if the power ceiling on it is a bit lower. It's better for self-defense anyway.

Basically it's like Narset but better, and the 1 extra mana is probably worth it.

It's obviously not JTMS level broken where it just goes in any blue deck, but what is?

I think most slow-ish blue decks in Standard are gonna want a Jace or 2.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ramos posted:

Consider this entire page bookmarked.

I promise that if you form your own opinion of things the boogeyman won't get you.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here lies Jace. He never scored.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly Jace to me just looks like an ok standard card, not a great one.

Olivia depends almost entirely on how good Madness is in this set so I'll hold off on any real judgment, assuming it's strong she's really good, if it's not she's a 3/3 flier for 3 with some extra utility. Actually, she's looking to me now like a weaker Mantis Rider.

Sigarda kinda blows at first glance, are there any other creatures with the Witchbane Orb effect for comparison?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

God drat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Jace seems good but maybe expensive for the effects? He wants a standard with a 4cmc sweeper more than anything.

He really really does.
Day of Judgment, into Jace -2 bounce your one dude, into start scry-drawing cards with removal and counters up seems like a deck I want to play.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

so it makes sense when she's corrupted or dead in the next set

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

He really really does.
Day of Judgment, into Jace -2 bounce your one dude, into start scry-drawing cards with removal and counters up seems like a deck I want to play.

That all applies to Ob Nix too. Which seems like the best comparison for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

He really really does.

Well, langish gets a lot better without siege rhino and tasiguar. The problem may be 2bb into 3uu with the upcoming mana, but honestly that can't be that terrible for standard.

• Locked thread