Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

The Bible posted:

I did. This wasn't my first online competition. It even has the records of my battles themselves, but my overall tally is nil, as if I didn't compete at all.

Oh, that's really strange. Sorry you didn't get your reward.

The only code-distributed mythical I wanted from the 20th anniversary thing was Mew, and I got a couple hacked ones over the GTS to make up for not being able to get to a Gamestop. The rest I want will all be online, so I'm good for the rest of the year. :cool:

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

EBGames is owned by Gamestop, so you should be good to go. :)

Thankfully the physical card Mythicals are dumb ones like big stupid Darkrai and not the cool ones like Keldeo and Meloetta.

I think that might only be the US, they might still be separate in other countries.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

How Ingratiating! posted:

Oh, that's really strange. Sorry you didn't get your reward.

It would have just turned to juice inside my PC next to Endeavor Pikachu.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have a question. I've been playing Blue on the VC, making use of some glitches for the first time ever. I'm getting to the point where I can do the MissingNo. glitch and I'm confused about it.

You set off the glitch by talking to the Old Man and then flying to Cinnabar Island. OK. So... it seems you can only do the glitch once? The Old Man only shows you how to catch Pokemon the first time you talk to him, right?

I'm interested in the glitch because I wanted to duplicate TMs. (gently caress single use TMs!) I've been saving them up and everything. Can you at least encounter MissingNo. multiple times, so between encounters I could switch different TMs to the 6th item slot and get more? Or is this just a pipe dream and I should give up on having Thunderbolt and Blizzard on more than one of my guys? :(

(Dupliate Nuggets would ALSO be nice. gently caress you, Game Corner, I just want a Dratini)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a question. I've been playing Blue on the VC, making use of some glitches for the first time ever. I'm getting to the point where I can do the MissingNo. glitch and I'm confused about it.

You set off the glitch by talking to the Old Man and then flying to Cinnabar Island. OK. So... it seems you can only do the glitch once? The Old Man only shows you how to catch Pokemon the first time you talk to him, right?

Nope! he does the tutorial every single time you talk to him, so you can repeat the glitch as much as you want.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh! Kickass. Thanks! I'm gonna get ALL the TMs. :getin:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Welcome to being me at 13. Just make sure not to duplicate something like your Bike.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How Ingratiating! posted:

Welcome to being me at 13. Just make sure not to duplicate something like your Bike.

What happens if you duplicate your bike? I used that glitch a lot, but I never made that particular mistake.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What happens if you duplicate your bike? I used that glitch a lot, but I never made that particular mistake.

Your Game Boy implodes and blinks out of existence. Not sure if that made it through the porting process.

(I don't actually know.)

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Silver Falcon posted:

Good luck. The number of items you're allowed to carry, even in the PC, is ridiculously small. Between all the TM's and all the key items you'll only have 3-4 open slots left for nuggets, full restores, max elixirs, rare candies, and max revives. Not to mention evolutionary stones, vitamins, and PP ups.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Krilli has 0 iv's, a nature that lowers special attacks, and learns no physical attack moves.

His ability is Defeatist

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Oyster posted:

Good luck. The number of items you're allowed to carry, even in the PC, is ridiculously small. Between all the TM's and all the key items you'll only have 3-4 open slots left for nuggets, full restores, max elixirs, rare candies, and max revives. Not to mention evolutionary stones, vitamins, and PP ups.

Yeah, you have a total of 70 item slots between your bag and PC, and at least a dozen of those are lost to key items and HMs. The most useful thing about Pokemon Stadium everyone forgets about was the fact that you could store items on there.

It's a long shot, but if Nintendo ever releases Stadium on the Wii U as a VC title and hacks in a way to emulate Transfer Pak functionality, I would consider it a mandatory purchase. Doubly so if the GB Tower is functional.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Nah that'd make them too much money, you know how they hate that

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, you have a total of 70 item slots between your bag and PC, and at least a dozen of those are lost to key items and HMs. The most useful thing about Pokemon Stadium everyone forgets about was the fact that you could store items on there.

It's a long shot, but if Nintendo ever releases Stadium on the Wii U as a VC title and hacks in a way to emulate Transfer Pak functionality, I would consider it a mandatory purchase. Doubly so if the GB Tower is functional.

I remember the item storage in Stadium. That poo poo was a GODSEND. If they release those games on the VC somehow I would snap them up so fast you have no idea.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

You can't store key items such as the town map or the fossils in Stadium's PC box thing (it says "this item is needed by the GB Game Pak") but it definitely helps a lot with inventory management when you can just shove all your useless TMs and stuff like that in there. The items and Pokemon you keep in the Stadium box stay there even when you start a new game, which isn't really that useful for most items but had I not been an idiot as a kid I could've easily used Stadium to get all three starter Pokemon. You can still earn them in Stadium if you beat the Gym Leader Castle a bunch of times but, uh, I didn't quite manage that at the time.

For real, Stadium was loving amazing when it came out. Not only did you have the whole "BATTLE YOUR POKEMON IN 3D!!" aspect, but you could play the actual Game Boy game on the drat thing (I bought my original copy of Stadium and my old Red cart at the same time for that reason, and didn't even get a GBC until later) and use it for managing items and Pokemon and all that. If you were into Pokemon at all (and who in this thread wasn't?) Stadium was the poo poo.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

If I recall, duplicating key items (anything that isn't counted with a number) makes it so if you try to deposit that item in the PC, it will take up multiple slots, so you can never really get it out of your inventory. You can't sell or throw away key items, so you're kind of screwing yourself if you dupe them.

Doc Morbid posted:

For real, Stadium was loving amazing when it came out. Not only did you have the whole "BATTLE YOUR POKEMON IN 3D!!" aspect, but you could play the actual Game Boy game on the drat thing (I bought my original copy of Stadium and my old Red cart at the same time for that reason, and didn't even get a GBC until later) and use it for managing items and Pokemon and all that. If you were into Pokemon at all (and who in this thread wasn't?) Stadium was the poo poo.

I remember playing Stadium 2 a lot more than Stadium. It had Little Cup, and using your Gameboy mons in the minigames could increase their happiness.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Doc Morbid posted:

For real, Stadium was loving amazing when it came out. Not only did you have the whole "BATTLE YOUR POKEMON IN 3D!!" aspect, but you could play the actual Game Boy game on the drat thing (I bought my original copy of Stadium and my old Red cart at the same time for that reason, and didn't even get a GBC until later) and use it for managing items and Pokemon and all that.

Also, a ton of awesome minigames.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

(I bought my original copy of Stadium and my old Red cart at the same time for that reason, and didn't even get a GBC until later) and use it for managing items and Pokemon and all that. If you were into Pokemon at all (and who in this thread wasn't?) Stadium was the poo poo.

Hell yeah, I think my first time really playing pokemon was on a borrowed copy of red via Pokemon Stadium. I feel like I must have played some kind of pokemon before that, but similarly I didn't own a gameboy till the GBC when Gold and Silver came out.

Also, the minigames. :3:

Kinda hope we see another Stadium like game for Gen 7.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I never played Stadium 2, or any of the gen 2 Game Boy games for that matter. By the time those came out in Europe, I was 14 instead of 12 and that meant I was a mature adult who's too old for kiddy stuff like Pokemon and would rather play the new GTA III on PS2.

edit: oh yeah, how could I forget the minigames in Pokemon Stadium? My favorite was Sushi-Go-Round.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 16, 2016

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pokemon Stadium I and II were loving AMAZING and are still far better than the embarrassment that was Pokemon Battle Revolution. I remember getting that game eager to basically play Stadium III only to find lackluster animations, recycled models (a Wii game recycling main character models from Nintendo 64 games. Come on guys, really?) No minigames, no way to play the DS games on the big screen, and a lovely/annoying single-player campaign. The literal only benefit it had was 3d online WiFi battles, which is of course completely irrelevant now.

I recently replayed the Stadium I games with buddies while drunk though, and unfortunately almost all of the minigames aged like rear end. :( The only still good one was the Lickitung Sushi game.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cuckoo posted:

Pokemon Stadium I and II were loving AMAZING and are still far better than the embarrassment that was Pokemon Battle Revolution. I remember getting that game eager to basically play Stadium III only to find lackluster animations, recycled models (a Wii game recycling main character models from Nintendo 64 games. Come on guys, really?) No minigames, no way to play the DS games on the big screen, and a lovely/annoying single-player campaign. The literal only benefit it had was 3d online WiFi battles, which is of course completely irrelevant now.

I recently replayed the Stadium I games with buddies while drunk though, and unfortunately almost all of the minigames aged like rear end. :( The only still good one was the Lickitung Sushi game.

uh excuse me the clefairy game and the drowsy game are awesome

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-creative-design-director-killed-in-tragic-/1100-6435704/

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cuckoo posted:

Same, but replace Battle Revolution with Colosseum and add the lack of the announcer, too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gently caress :(

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

GonSmithe posted:

uh excuse me the clefairy game and the drowsy game are awesome

Play them today as an adult, it's sad but they really don't hold up. My old favorite was the boulder harden game with Metapod/Kakuna and now it blows.

Jesus Christ. RIP :( At least the kid lived.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I really hope the kid is too young to remember this later on. :smith:

I'm getting close to renewal time for Pokemon Bank, so I bought a $10 eShop card yesterday. I come to find two things:
1. I can't renew my subscription yet, looks like I'll be able to do it in about 5 days.
2. I already had $5 available on my account, so I didn't need the card.

So my question is: I originally owned red back in the day, my wife's favorite 'mon is Vulpix, I already have a living pokedex, and would like to execute the missingo glitch. Should I buy Blue or Red again?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo that's sad. :(

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I really hope the kid is too young to remember this later on. :smith:

I'm getting close to renewal time for Pokemon Bank, so I bought a $10 eShop card yesterday. I come to find two things:
1. I can't renew my subscription yet, looks like I'll be able to do it in about 5 days.
2. I already had $5 available on my account, so I didn't need the card.

So my question is: I originally owned red back in the day, my wife's favorite 'mon is Vulpix, I already have a living pokedex, and would like to execute the missingo glitch. Should I buy Blue or Red again?

The only difference between the two is the exclusives, so look at the list and pick which one has more Pokemon you want.

That said, Meowth is blue exclusive and Persian is a murderbeast in Gen 1 thanks to Slash and broken crit mechanics. Also Porygon's cheaper at the game corner.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I hate to be one of those people who doesn't read all the thread to ask a couple questions not in the OP, but there's like 60k posts to sift through. :(

I bought pokemon x awhile back and just started playing it the other day and it seems pretty cool. Unfortunately after reading online I discovered that nintendo has gone to great lengths to ensure that you cannot create pokemon out of thin air with cheats/hacking due to people cheating online or in competitive scenarios with retard strong super mons. I have no desire to battle online, all I wish to do after the game is finished is try to create different teams to beat the pokemon x equivalent of the battle tower in pearl, this used to be easy with just hacking some perfect IV/ideal nature mons and trying to beat the game's BS. Is there anyway to easily hack pokemon out of thin air or am i stuck with grinding hours to get pokemon with close to perfect or near perfect IVs? Also I didn't see if this type of info was banned from the thread of w/e so if it is then my bad. :shobon:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can still hack the game. There are ways. They've also made it way way easier to breed top notch mons if you want.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

No response so I guess I'll ask again, what's the easiest way to get Landorus for competitive use? Since I guess RNG is difficult now with no Pokecheck, should I be camping out before a Storm Cloud in ORAS or Abundant Shrine in BW.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I haven't played much pokemon since gen 1 and I got blue on the VC thinking I could trade and battle my cousin in florida (whoops!)

couple questions:
1. Are they going to give away Mew for VC players or at least for the new game later? If so is it going to be easy to get (like go to a gamestop or something, or am I going to have to buy a ticket to some loving convention?)

Just in case:

2. Mew Glitch: I just caught an Abra and beat misty, but I made the mistake of beating the trainer to the left of that bridge in the grass, can I still use teleport and glitch a mew somehow? Please tell me the steps. I haven't fought my way over to Bill's place yet (just that one trainer by the grass where you can catch abra for the first time)

3. Will glitching a mew corrupt my game file? If so I'll pass because I don't have the time to do it all over again :(

4. Do I need to keep mew in my party the entire game? I've read that it doesn't transfer to the PC when glitched.

Thanks goons, I'm kinda stuck because I want a Mew so I'm not playing till I figure this info out and it's frustrating me that all the info I'm finding is just a very specific strategy that I kinda already messed up by beating that trainer in the grass.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dexie posted:

Gen II's gym leaders baffle me more than anything.

Let's start with a Flying type gym leader...but not give him any of the new flyers.
We'll follow it up with a Bug gym that doesn't use any of the numerous new Bugs.
Two gyms later we get a Ghost gym who's lacking the sole new Ghost type.
And that gets followed up by a Fighting gym who doesn't have any of the new Fighting types!
Then after THAT, a Steel gym where the leader only has Gen I Pokemon or evolutions of Gen I Pokemon.

Oh and Dark type? No gym for you. Not now, not ever!

My alternate interpretation on this is that Gen II was the first expansion Pokemon got. I assume the reason why very few trainers use as much as 2 new Pokes in their team is out of the fear Gamefreak had of alienating the playerbase by tossing all new Pokemons at your face at once. They had to check if people would be open to accepting new Pokemons.

I know at least in my own personal experience, one of the reasons I didn't like Ruby/Sapphire much as a kid was that the first part of the games were filled with nothing but new Pokemon and you couldn't trade with past generations, so your only choice to getting to play with your favorite Pokemon was either to trade with a friend who was more advanced in the story, or have to advance on the story yourself.

To this day I remain just as stubborn. I got Pokemon X a week after it came out but waited till Pokebank was released to transfer my trusty old Totodile and start playing :colbert:
I like clearing the game with the team I like most, and in ORAS ending reel this paid off really well

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 16, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Nitramster posted:

2. Mew Glitch: I just caught an Abra and beat misty, but I made the mistake of beating the trainer to the left of that bridge in the grass, can I still use teleport and glitch a mew somehow? Please tell me the steps. I haven't fought my way over to Bill's place yet (just that one trainer by the grass where you can catch abra for the first time)

3. Will glitching a mew corrupt my game file? If so I'll pass because I don't have the time to do it all over again :(

4. Do I need to keep mew in my party the entire game? I've read that it doesn't transfer to the PC when glitched.

Thanks goons, I'm kinda stuck because I want a Mew so I'm not playing till I figure this info out and it's frustrating me that all the info I'm finding is just a very specific strategy that I kinda already messed up by beating that trainer in the grass.
2. You can still do the glitch with another trainer later on. Specifically, this dude outside Saffron City's east entrance on Route 8 (both screenshots in this post are from Crosspeice's Pokemon Yellow LP):

Also, don't fight this guy on the way to Bill's place until you're doing the Mew glitch:

3. You should be okay. People have been doing the Mew glitch for over ten years now and I've never seen anyone report any save corruption.

4. Mew should transfer to the PC just fine and be able to be withdrawn normally, unless you do the variation of the glitch where Mew is at level 1. Keep an open slot in the party when you go catch it just in case, and check that everything works properly before you save.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 16, 2016

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Thanks so much Doc Morbid! I can commence playing again!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

No response so I guess I'll ask again, what's the easiest way to get Landorus for competitive use? Since I guess RNG is difficult now with no Pokecheck, should I be camping out before a Storm Cloud in ORAS or Abundant Shrine in BW.

Gen 6 legendaries have three guaranteed perfect IV's so ORAS

Or hack one

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Classtoise posted:

Ditto copies every stat except HP. Things like Soul Dew and Choice Scarf aren't carried over, and Soul Dew acts as though he's still a Ditto (the Ditto only items are the only ones that use the targets species)

Ditto can't copy the target's items. Not sure about Soul Dew, but Choice Scarf definitely carries over.

Oh geez. :(

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ruggington posted:

Gen 6 legendaries have three guaranteed perfect IV's so ORAS

Or hack one

I have some hangups over hacked Pokemon for whatever reason, so I'll probably go the ORAS route. Twice, I guess, for both a Jolly and a Adamant.
Thank you very much!

e: Or I end up trading an event Mew for two obtained however when I finally give up. Either or.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 16, 2016

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Dammit goons, now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ditto can't copy the target's items. Not sure about Soul Dew, but Choice Scarf definitely carries over.

Well what I mean is, if Ditto holds a Soul Dew and transforms into a Lati@s, the Soul Dew treats him like a Ditto (i.e, no power boost).

If he has a Choice Scarf on him and transforms, yes he absolutely gets the increased speed. But if the OPPONENT has a scarf, you don't get the speed (as your speed matches theirs, but they have the item to add a bonus). This is why Choice Scarf Impostor Ditto is so popular. He immediately turns into the opponent and outspeeds them.

• Locked thread