Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

spud posted:

No of course I cant, but I can feel the responsiveness changing every second. As I said, "it feels weird". I'd lock it 60 if it didn't feel laggy.

The question is, why am I getting over 100FPS variance when some systems don't even hit 100FPS? That seems crazy.

e: Set the frame limiter to 60 and left v-sync off...feels "smoother" but there are still little hiccups now and again. What a weird rear end loving game engine!

Shadows: because shadows require a ton of on the fly calculations to make them look right for you and your camera angle at any given time.

The hiccups are likely due to player model quality and count, especially if your Field of View and LOD distance are at max. Depending on the game mode you play, try lowering one of those 4 settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Trogdos! posted:

Alright, finally I could complete my muscle wizard

mein gott :chanpop:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

My new pvp thief

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AnacondaHL posted:

Shadows: because shadows require a ton of on the fly calculations to make them look right for you and your camera angle at any given time.

The hiccups are likely due to player model quality and count, especially if your Field of View and LOD distance are at max. Depending on the game mode you play, try lowering one of those 4 settings.

Yeah I had issues with shadows as well, when I built a new computer and turned every option to max. (except the vaseline filter), the game claimed to run at (capped) 60fps constantly, but movement and viewport changes were stuttering noticeably until I turned down shadows to the 2nd highest setting.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arus help!
I NEED the wizard hat but Anet is freaking out and not letting me add my new card.

I am going to diiiiiiiiie!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kessel posted:

My new pvp thief

amazing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Arus help!
I NEED the wizard hat but Anet is freaking out and not letting me add my new card.

I am going to diiiiiiiiie!

I'm afraid my labour dispute rules prevent me from commenting, as I am on strike from buying gems.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnacondaHL posted:

orcane posted:

Yeah I had issues with shadows as well, when I built a new computer and turned every option to max. (except the vaseline filter), the game claimed to run at (capped) 60fps constantly, but movement and viewport changes were stuttering noticeably until I turned down shadows to the 2nd highest setting.

Thanks for the coherent replies guys. Will have another shot at the settings when I get home.

Is the massively varying FPS just something I need to get used to with this engine though? Again, I wouldn't give a poo poo about the FPS number if it felt fine to play.

Really want to give this a go as the world looks beautiful and interesting, and mega-bonus: no monthly fee!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spud posted:

Thanks for the coherent replies guys. Will have another shot at the settings when I get home.

Is the massively varying FPS just something I need to get used to with this engine though? Again, I wouldn't give a poo poo about the FPS number if it felt fine to play.

Really want to give this a go as the world looks beautiful and interesting, and mega-bonus: no monthly fee!

I also recommend either Windows 10, or Dale Carnagie courses on "10 ways to increase your frames per second"

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Try hitting your PC repeatedly until you can't post anymore.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

CLAM DOWN posted:

I also recommend either Windows 10, or Dale Carnagie courses on "10 ways to increase your frames per second"

What's it like to know you're a dead motherfucker

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Lonk posted:

Try hitting your PC repeatedly until you can't post anymore.

alternatively: send me all your money

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

spud posted:

Seriouspost, can't you just lock your fps at 60 or something? It sounds like it's not the fps itself but the fluctuations that are getting to you.

I have no idea if gw2 even has that option, though. It's been a long time since it was even installed because Dukka is a bad influence.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I took Carnegie's course and now I am so much more confident when speaking about the FPS fluctuations that happen on my Windows 10 computer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

I took Carnegie's course and now I am so much more confident when speaking about the FPS fluctuations that happen on my Windows 10 computer.

Same but unironically

Quitte
Nov 2, 2011

nee-deep

spud posted:

Also try disabling reflections. They were and probably still are a bit wonky.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I got my first Gorseval kill last night.

In a PUG.

That was 99% speaking Spanish.

I mean sure I knew what rojo, azul, verde meant, but it was still pretty loving sweet.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

AnacondaHL posted:

In a PUG.

I mean sure I knew what rojo, azul, verde meant, but it was still pretty loving sweet.

Were you using any voice chat? People have made it sound like voice chat is mandatory.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Verde is a type of delicious salsa, that's all I know from that!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Were you using any voice chat? People have made it sound like voice chat is mandatory.

Yup, I was on their TeamSpeak, listening to the calls made in Spanish.

To be fair we gave Sabatha a go afterwards and it was a complete trainwreck, but mostly because it was a lot of people's first time. It's safe to say speaking the same language helps for learning that fight, like when I was all "ok I'm on green south throw the bomb at me" and the bomb was on a dude that did not speak English. Good times all around though.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The BURD raid group pretty much has the Wing 1 down to where we really don't need to call strats anymore, just calling out timers and stuff. Wing 1 being puggable without comms is very doable.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

I find it very sad that you don't also know chili verde :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AnacondaHL posted:

In a PUG.

That's friggin hilarious, I'd love to be in that teamspeak sometime since I understand the language.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Verde is short for Salsa Verde, spanish for green sauce, and is made from tomatillos grilled and blended along with some other stuff, depending on what you want in it. I've always referred to it as tomatillo sauce because it's more accurate and doesn't make you sound like you're calling ketchup "red sauce"

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ketchup is communist though.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I know some people who call ketchup red sauce. It doesn't exactly make you sound dumb, it's just odd and confusing. Especially when you have cocktail sauce right next to the ketchup bottle, and when you hand it to him the dude's all like no the ketchup. Why the hell would you put ketchup on shrimp?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Why the hell would you put ketchup on shrimp?

Same reason people smother french fries in gravy and cheese curds.

Because they're dead inside they like the taste.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

Because they're dead inside and are trying to die of a heart attack

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

keep going I'm almost there

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I put ketchup on toast sometimes. People say that's weird?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

CLAM DOWN posted:

keep going I'm almost there

I put ketchup on my pasta.

I eat my oatmeal raw.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The weirdest I get is salsa on saltines and I still feel terrible about it.

And I guess ketchup on hot dogs because I am the literal devil.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh my god Anet we need new content, please

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Orv posted:

That is hosed up.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh the gem store has new things on sale to buy everyday this month. What more do you need?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Generic Octopus posted:

Because they're dead inside they like the taste.

Hey, so long as the cheese isn't fried breaded cheddar balls it's ok. Besides, gravy on fries is always good. Best I've had was this one bbq place that made gravy out of the shredded bits and drippings left over from cooking some corned beef. Absolutely delicious.

Orv posted:

The weirdest I get is salsa on saltines and I still feel terrible about it.

I dunno, depends whats on the dog, quality of the h'dog. Ketchup can be good on that. Also good on hot dogs, peanutbutter. But like, melted.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I take my dogs with mustard, preferably spicy, ketchup and a bun. :colbert:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Down here we have a hotdog place called mustards last stand. It's not bad. My favorites are hotdog with the latka in it and the chilidog in a lightly fried tortilla covered in salsa and cheese.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Look forward to great new regional favorite recipes like Poutine in the upcoming Ascended Cooking crafting release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I'm sorry, I was super hungry coming outta work. The more I posted the hungrier I got, it was cyclical.

• Locked thread