Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

My paladin has 16 CON, my dwarf fighter has 19 CON, and I have a Manual of Bodily Health. The paladin could use a few more HP, but if I give my fighter the manual, she could use the vampire sword to provide free healing.

20 con gives you regeneration i think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yes. That's why the vampire sword would be free healing, because she could beat an injured party member with the sword, wait to regenerate, and then resume beating.

E: gently caress yeah I'm doing this. :woop:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes. That's why the vampire sword would be free healing, because she could beat an injured party member with the sword, wait to regenerate, and then resume beating.

E: gently caress yeah I'm doing this. :woop:

great plan!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

JustJeff88 posted:

Didn't some version of BG introduce the spell Static Charge? That was the 5th-level version of Call Lightning that could be used anywhere.

Even if they did, 5 is a big level for druids and having another useful spell to compete for your time there is a dick move.
Static Charge was in IWD, which gave Druids a couple of decent level 1-3 spells as well. Not amazing, but still welcome considering how lovely the Druid spell list is at low levels.
Basically, don't play a Shaman without this mod: https://www.gibberlings3.net/iwdification/

Don't play a Shaman with this mod either.

Dyna Soar posted:

20 con gives you regeneration i think?
1 HP per minute. :v:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

1 HP per minute. :v:

means that character fully heals when you rest though, right?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dyna Soar posted:

means that character fully heals when you rest though, right?
Yeah, but this

Woolie Wool posted:

wait to regenerate
is gonna take a while.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm sure these have been posted elsewhere by now but here's the rest of the Shaman class spells:

------------------------------------------
Recall Spirit
(Necromancy)

Level: 5
Sphere: Summoning
Range: Visual range of the caster
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 9
Area of Effect: 1 person
Saving Throw: None

The shaman calls back a deceased person's spirit if it still lingers near the body. By casting this spell, the Shaman reconnects the spirit to its body and restores the person to life with 1 Hit Point. Natural healing or curative magic can restore the rest of the target's vitality.
Spiritual Lock
(Enchantment)

Level: 6
Sphere: Wards
Range: 40 ft.
Duration: 1 turn + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 6
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Negates

The target of Spiritual Lock must Save vs. Spell with a -2 penalty or have its mind temporarily sealed away within the spirit world. During this time, the victim is unable to perform any actions that require conscious thought such as attacking, using items, or casting spells. Spirits, fey creatures, elementals, and spectral undead Save vs. Spell with a -4 penalty instead of -2. Spiritual Lock is blocked by spells and abilities that protect against feeblemind effects.
Ether Gate
(Alteration)

Level: 7
Sphere: Travelers
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 rounds
Casting Time: 3

This spell transports one creature, chosen by the caster, to the Ethereal Plane. The creature vanishes for the spell's duration, at which point it returns to the physical world in the exact same spot where it was before. While in the Ethereal Plane, the victim cannot interact with anyone or anything that resides on the Prime Material Plane. There is no saving throw against this spell, though it is subject to magic resistance. Friendly creatures can lower their magic resistance so that the shaman can target them with this spell. In addition, Ether Gate is blocked by spells and abilities that protect against maze effects.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Ether Gate
(Alteration)

Level: 7
Sphere: Travelers
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 rounds
Casting Time: 3

This spell transports one creature, chosen by the caster, to the Ethereal Plane. The creature vanishes for the spell's duration, at which point it returns to the physical world in the exact same spot where it was before. While in the Ethereal Plane, the victim cannot interact with anyone or anything that resides on the Prime Material Plane. There is no saving throw against this spell, though it is subject to magic resistance. Friendly creatures can lower their magic resistance so that the shaman can target them with this spell. In addition, Ether Gate is blocked by spells and abilities that protect against maze effects.

this one is actually p. interesting

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dyna Soar posted:

"A guaranteed duration Maze", meh

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"A guaranteed duration Maze", meh

better than raise dead or a lovely feeblemind, hah.

but yeah, beamdog please hire someone with imagination. and a proper UI designer.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dyna Soar posted:

It'd be a great spell for level 5.

It's actually quite good, guaranteed removes an enemy from play for a couple rounds is extremely powerful, lets you prioritize other targets, etc etc. Maze is a great spell, this is great too.

But 5 rounds isn't a ton (though probably enough), and one good spell doesn't make up for a kit full of shiiiiiiiit.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Paladins

True Paladin (PHB)
For perhaps the first time, the tabletop character is significantly stronger than the game one. Pen and paper Paladins were meant to be rare characters, a class you only qualified for if you rolled really well for your stats, and they're commensurately OP.

Extra bonuses over the games:
A 10ft protective aura which gives -1 attack penalty to all evil and summoned creatures, as well as those under compulsion by evil beings.
Disease immunity.
Cure disease once/week/5 levels.
While holding a holy sword, get 50% MR free, and passively dispel all hostile magic up to the Paladin's level in a 10ft radius. No opponents can cast spells within this radius either. You thought Carsomyr was OP? It's basically just what you get for holding your holy sword in tabletop, which can have all sorts of abilities of its own.
Can turn fiends as well as undead.
Sweet horse/griffin/giant eagle/elephant/dinosaur/whale (seriously) ride.

The extra penalties do hurt, but they're nothing unbearable. You have to tithe to your church, and you're limited only to ten magical items - your armour, your shield, four weapons, and four miscellaneous items. Potions do count against the limit, so it's best to borrow them off your mates in a fight and save that space for helmets, boots, necklaces and rings.

Cavalier (Complete Fighter, Complete Paladin, Dr #230)
There were quite a few Cavalier and Chevalier kits in 2e, some closer to the 1e Cavalier and some not. Frankly, the BG kit is better designed and more interesting than all of them, because they tended to be unfocused and got just a miscellaneous scattering of dull -- if effective -- bonuses.

The fear immunity and missile weapon ban are native to the basic CompFighter Cavalier kit; the mental immunities are a slight variation on a blanket save bonus against every kind of mind-affecting magic. A lot of the rest of the class is taken from various kits themed around dragonslaying, including elemental resistance and the hit/damage bonuses.

Inquisitor (Complete Paladin)
Probably the closest translation from tabletop to game since the Kensai. The penalties are pretty much the same, but there are some devils in the details of the bonuses.

The Dispel Magic only turns off spells cast by evil creatures or evil in nature - so it's party friendly for any Paladin's group, but won't help you out if you're fighting good/neutral enemies. It also has an absolute 100% success rate, no matter if you're a 1st level noob against a 40th level lich, which would fail miserably in BG2. Rather than True Sight, the Inquisitor has a high but not perfect chance to be unaffected by illusions, increasing with level. The hold and charm immunities are swapped for 90% resistance to all mind control and possession effects. Inquisitors retain their disease immunity, but lose the cure disease ability.

Undead Hunter (Complete Paladin, Complete Elf)
This kit is a bit of a mix between the Complete Paladin Ghosthunter, which has more comprehensive abilities and penalties, and the very simple Complete Elf Undead Slayer. The Undead Slayer has no penalties, but only gets (slightly worse than the game's) THAC0 and damage bonuses. The Ghosthunter hasn't got any of the basic +3/+3 against undead, but does get a suite of more involved powers.

Extra benefits:
Turns undead as a Cleric, not a Paladin.
DM is asked to consider giving the Ghosthunter a special undead-busting holy sword early in their career, which is sweet given the massive generic Paladin benefits you'll also get out of it.
Remove Paralysis 3 timer per day at level one, increasing to 7 times by level 20.
Dispel Evil once per day per 5 levels. This is a fifth level priest spell. On cast, creatures summoned or from other planes get instabanished when hit with a melee attack, and get massive to hit penalties against the caster while the spell's active.

Extra hindrances:
The game's Hold immunity is a 95% resistance.
No level drain immunity.
Rather like the Inquisitor, the Ghosthunter trades off a lot of the generic Paladin powers, to a degree that the game Undead Hunter doesn't. They lose their cure disease ability and the disease immunity all together. The game rids you of your Lay on Hands ability, but tabletop takes that and your entire spell suite into the bargain.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 16, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Complete Elf :v:

The Iron Rose posted:

It's actually quite good, guaranteed removes an enemy from play for a couple rounds is extremely powerful, lets you prioritize other targets, etc etc. Maze is a great spell, this is great too.
Yeah, it's Maze but a level earlier.

quote:

But 5 rounds isn't a ton (though probably enough), and one good spell doesn't make up for a kit full of shiiiiiiiit.
On that note - spell casts per day, Sorcerer vs. Shaman:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Wizard Styles posted:

Complete Elf :v:
The series hosed around between "The Complete Book of [Race]" and "The Complete [Class's] Handbook", so they all just get lumped into the "Complete X" category whenever anyone talks about them, no matter how silly that can sound.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wizard Styles posted:

On that note - spell casts per day, Sorcerer vs. Shaman:

That's hilarious

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress me, I almost want to mod that stuff into the game even if it would break it in half. I could even houserule that you get all the magic items you want in exchange for giving up your mount!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

My paladin has 16 CON, my dwarf fighter has 19 CON, and I have a Manual of Bodily Health. The paladin could use a few more HP, but if I give my fighter the manual, she could use the vampire sword to provide free healing.

That's a pretty weak gimmick, paladin needs the free hp's more.

edit: too late.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah, I dont understand long winded healing gimmicks when I am literally up to my nipples in healing potions seriously.

I gave up on my shaman and resumed my avenger playthru.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Washout posted:

That's a pretty weak gimmick, paladin needs the free hp's more.

edit: too late.

So regen is really lovely then? What a shame, I was hoping that I had found one of the cool D&D gimmicks. Gonna reload and give it to my paladin then.

Also that tabletop paladin is awesome. If I were in a 2E group I would beg the DM to let me roll again if my stats didn't qualify.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 16, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

So regen is really lovely then? What a shame, I was hoping that I had found one of the cool D&D gimmicks. Gonna reload and give it to my paladin then.
The regeneration you get from high Con is too slow, that's all. It's nice to have because the character would fully heal when resting no matter what, but that's not worth giving up extra HP on another character for.
The gimmick you came up with would work with something like a Ring of Regeneration (which isn't in BG1).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I want to kill whoever created the spider forest. gently caress that poo poo.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I just woke up and am really sick and can barely think straight but I recognized the second zone of cloakwood forest being described from the words "spider" "forest" and "gently caress."

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

insanityv2 posted:

I just woke up and am really sick and can barely think straight but I recognized the second zone of cloakwood forest being described from the words "spider" "forest" and "gently caress."

"Why are you so fat?"

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

Further adventures await you warrior. I just passed through it myself and am in the mine.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well that big room on the second floor was a nasty surprise, I tried to blitz the wizard and found myself surrounded by enemies, including another wizard. Nothing I couldn't handle though.

Then I went to the third floor and my wizard blew up half of a mob of hobgoblins with a single fireball. I can't wait to get more casts of that. :stare:

E: Steam "updated" me out of the 2.0 beta and now I have to get back in and hope my saved games aren't hosed. gently caress YOU, STEAM. I wish there were a way to just disable all updates for a game.

E2: Well now I've fixed that and I've made a backup copy elsewhere on my PC so that in case a future "update" breaks all my saves I have a permanent copy of the current 2.0 beta. Also apparently there is a thieves' guild in the city. Or was. Who robs the robbers?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 17, 2016

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Also apparently there is a thieves' guild in the city. Or was. Who robs the robbers?

PCs rob the robbers. It's called the Bandit Catch and Release program, it keeps inflation down, and keeps adventurers doing missions instead of making trouble.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Woolie Wool posted:

One of my favourite things in the first Baldurs Gate is that you could charm enemies and speak to them - the big fat creature in the centre of Cloakwood Spider could be charmed and spoken to.
She talks about Irenicus (sort of), the villain in the second game, when BG2 was released and we met Irenicus I was pretty surprised! I think his name was spelt slightly differently but I still enjoyed that touch and connected the two names together even at that point.

Plus I really hate the PoE combat system, good god I wouldn't like it in BG. I got around the fact that enemies hit hard by having a few people up front and running them off if they got low in health and you can't do that at all in PoE. And I like doing my combat by highlighting everyone and telling them all to attack a person which you can't do in PoE.
I often feel like PoE is made by the guys in this thread who play BG with the SCS on and really enjoy the intricacies of the combat, which 100% isn't me.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Strange I had the opposite feeling about PoE, the combat was not intricate and way too easy. I went into it blind and played it on hard too. But I'm one of the aforementioned SCS people.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Taear posted:

One of my favourite things in the first Baldurs Gate is that you could charm enemies and speak to them - the big fat creature in the centre of Cloakwood Spider could be charmed and spoken to.
She talks about Irenicus (sort of), the villain in the second game, when BG2 was released and we met Irenicus I was pretty surprised! I think his name was spelt slightly differently but I still enjoyed that touch and connected the two names together even at that point.

Plus I really hate the PoE combat system, good god I wouldn't like it in BG. I got around the fact that enemies hit hard by having a few people up front and running them off if they got low in health and you can't do that at all in PoE. And I like doing my combat by highlighting everyone and telling them all to attack a person which you can't do in PoE.
I often feel like PoE is made by the guys in this thread who play BG with the SCS on and really enjoy the intricacies of the combat, which 100% isn't me.

PoE isn't that hard though. But the thing about it is that every party member has a specific job to do and they should be doing that job instead of just ganging up on an enemy and shooting arrows at it until it dies. Your fighters/paladins/barbarians (you should have two big meaty melee characters) should be up front tanking to protect your squishies. The same engagement mechanic that keeps your squishies from running when somebody gets in their face also works on the enemy, so a fighter can tie down three, or even four enemies and keep them from running past into your back line. Healing spells are really good in Pillars so your priest should be healing and buffing all the time, especially at higher levels.

Also the accuracy/defense system might be displayed in a more intuitive, easy-to-understand way than AC/THAC0 but it's also more complicated. Some enemies will be nearly impossible to hit unless you inflict status effects on them to weaken them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

PoE isn't that hard though. But the thing about it is that every party member has a specific job to do and they should be doing that job instead of just ganging up on an enemy and shooting arrows at it until it dies. Your fighters/paladins/barbarians (you should have two big meaty melee characters) should be up front tanking to protect your squishies. The same engagement mechanic that keeps your squishies from running when somebody gets in their face also works on the enemy, so a fighter can tie down three, or even four enemies and keep them from running past into your back line. Healing spells are really good in Pillars so your priest should be healing and buffing all the time, especially at higher levels.

Also the accuracy/defense system might be displayed in a more intuitive, easy-to-understand way than AC/THAC0 but it's also more complicated. Some enemies will be nearly impossible to hit unless you inflict status effects on them to weaken them.

I know. I don't like that. I prefer the simplicity of Baldurs Gate. Like I say - it feels like it was made for the people who love the SCS stuff and I really don't - BG is hard enough for me already.
It's a shame to me that's where the genre has headed to because having PoE on Story Mode was almost like cheating but I just don't have the patience to pay proper attention to the combats.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Taear posted:

I know. I don't like that. I prefer the simplicity of Baldurs Gate. Like I say - it feels like it was made for the people who love the SCS stuff and I really don't - BG is hard enough for me already.
It's a shame to me that's where the genre has headed to because having PoE on Story Mode was almost like cheating but I just don't have the patience to pay proper attention to the combats.

Dude, they both developed a deep and flexible combat system (or at least tried to, haven't played the game much at all) AND added a story mode for guys like you who don't care about it at all. I think this is a really good direction to go IMO.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Dude, they both developed a deep and flexible combat system (or at least tried to, haven't played the game much at all) AND added a story mode for guys like you who don't care about it at all. I think this is a really good direction to go IMO.

Yea I'm glad story mode is there but it's a really recent thing. Previously they only had Easy, Medium, Hard.
What I'm saying though is that I wish it was more like Baldurs Gate. I liked the lack of disengagement and I even enjoy the D&D stats! Or at least the 3rd edition ones where they all have a use for certain classes. I'm not saying I hate change, I guess it's just changed away from what I enjoyed.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone tell me what hit dice are and how they work? The game just assumes I know what they are without bothering to tell me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Can someone tell me what hit dice are and how they work? The game just assumes I know what they are without bothering to tell me.

Each class rolls a certain die once per level to determine how many hit points it gets*. Casters have a d4, Rogues a d6, Priests a d8, Warriors a d10. It is also used as a shorthand for a opponent's level, since most monsters don't have classes.

*This is bullshit. If you are not playing on a difficulty that maximizes HP per level, get a mod.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Woolie Wool posted:

It determines HP of monsters, it's roughly equivalent to character level.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, monsters have Hit Dice instead of levels, and a Hit Die is an 8 sided die for monsters and classless NPCs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

Each class rolls a certain die once per level to determine how many hit points it gets*. Casters have a d4, Rogues a d6, Priests a d8, Warriors a d10. It is also used as a shorthand for a opponent's level, since most monsters don't have classes.

*This is bullshit. If you are not playing on a difficulty that maximizes HP per level, get a mod.

I feel like with max HP on level up you end up with too much HP really quickly. I like the randomness of it.

OTOH its kinda poo poo that you can easily have a level 5 mage with like 15HP, who can still be 2shot by a wolf

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

That is just insane. BG is vastly more "hard" then PoQ.

Woolie Wool posted:

Well yea, The entire game pretty much assumes at least a familiarity with AD&D. I also assume you did not actually read the text file containing the giant rear end manual that the game would've come with back in the day.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

I feel like with max HP on level up you end up with too much HP really quickly. I like the randomness of it.

OTOH its kinda poo poo that you can easily have a level 5 mage with like 15HP, who can still be 2shot by a wolf

It's a matter of taste- a lot of my issues with BGI and II come from treating them like a tabletop campaign, and I would never allow or accept random player HP there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There's a tweak pack setting that restricts HP rolls to the upper half of the range, I think that or just using EEKeeper to set your HP gains to something like always 3/4 of the maximum is a good compromise.