Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
o hai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

do you think he'll get that car when he comes back in 2031?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

he should've just bought a picture somewhere and when he got back to the US lie and say he stole it. the whole point was to show off to his friends what a badass he was.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Linux Pirate posted:

do you think he'll get that car when he comes back in 2031?
maybe it'll be a collector and have gone up in value :unsmith:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:lol:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ArmZ posted:

he should've just bought a picture somewhere and when he got back to the US lie and say he stole it. the whole point was to show off to his friends what a badass he was.

and now he cried on international news. not so much of a badass now

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

fart simpson posted:

tbh i'd probably piss myself

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Roosevelt posted:

tbh i'd probably piss myself

you probably wouldnt go to north korea and break the law for a used car

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Palpek posted:

i didn't say that hilary is as bad as trump, you don't need to immediately throw me into a group that you love to hate, thanks

i only meant that she'll have to be bloodthirsty as a president and you got triggered by a lovely pic of candidates' heads photoshopped into an avp poster

unironic uses of the term "trigger" trigger me plz give a warning next time thx

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why the hell didn't he just offer to buy the banner

It's a win win. He gets the poster, and they get money and get to spread propaganda

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
its amazing how thoroughly the internet has watered down the word 'trigger'

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

It's a win win. He gets the poster, and they get money and get to spread propaganda

I'm not sure you're even supposed to conduct private sales in North Korea.

It happens, but they might crack down if a foreigner did it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are several people at my university who will use "trigger warning" correctly in regular conversations. I've never seen anyone react to it. I don't even know what you'd do in person...cover your ears?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

There are several people at my university who will use "trigger warning" correctly in regular conversations. I've never seen anyone react to it. I don't even know what you'd do in person...cover your ears?

point and laugh

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sagebrush posted:

he could have probably asked politely and would have gotten it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

i'm hoping for something like the church scene from kingsman

and this bird you cannot chaaaaaaange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXB6slJSbL4

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Spring break 2032: Singapore spray paint vandalism experience

d64
Jan 15, 2003
how i see it: he's young, so he just got the stupid idea to swipe some banner or such as a souvenir. he got caught and this bizarre $10000/car story is a part of his "confession" that nk officials have come up with to make this case of simple dumb theft into an internationally visible incident. i'm pretty sure i would confess to whatever motives in his situation, if the worst outcome could be a decade in prison.

i believe previous foreigners arrested for minor crimes have also made implausible public confessions of working for foreign intelligence services, etc, but then have rescinded everything once they've been released.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

concept art of star citizen concept art delivery service looking good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

d64 posted:

how i see it: he's young, so he just got the stupid idea to swipe some banner or such as a souvenir. he got caught and this bizarre $10000/car story is a part of his "confession" that nk officials have come up with to make this case of simple dumb theft into an internationally visible incident. i'm pretty sure i would confess to whatever motives in his situation, if the worst outcome could be a decade in prison.

i believe previous foreigners arrested for minor crimes have also made implausible public confessions of working for foreign intelligence services, etc, but then have rescinded everything once they've been released.

this sounds perfectly reasonable to me

especially since he referred to the banner as a "trophy", which is totally the kind of thing north korea would call it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fart simpson posted:

and you wouldn't tough guy?

do you know how horrible those prisons are?

have fun with this rear end in a top hat: https://www.google.ca/search?q=nort...iw=1713&bih=776

e: he was a supreme dumbass for taking a poster - but this punishment is gonna kill him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vintersorg posted:

have fun with this rear end in a top hat

it's me, the kinkshamer

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

this whole loving thing just shows how badly that country needs help

i mean they have hard labor camps and they aint afraid to tell us they have em. I'm not inclined to agree with any of their laws. there's no doubt that kid is stupid for stealing, but 15 years in a gulag for stealing is some bullshit

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
from last july:

According to The New York Times, the overture to Cuba leaves just three countries with which the United States has no diplomatic relations. Two of these are easy enough to guess: Iran and North Korea. Washington severed ties with Tehran in 1980, months after Iranian students seized the U.S. embassy there and took 52 Americans hostage. U.S. ties with North Korea, meanwhile, have been fraught throughout the latter country’s existence, and have only grown worse since Kim Jong Un assumed control of the country in 2011.

But the third country is one with which the United States has no real dispute or grievance—or really much history of any kind. It’s the South Asian kingdom of Bhutan.

i wonder if we're still relation-free with iran

edit: drat

Bhutan is a landlocked nation around the size of Switzerland that’s situated in the Himalayan mountains between India and China. Since joining the United Nations in 1971, the country has maintained a Swiss-like aversion to foreign entanglements of any kind. The kingdom has no relations with any of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, and only two states—Bangladesh and neighboring India—have embassies in Bhutan’s capital, Thimphu. Bhutan is so isolated that until 2007, it didn’t even conduct its own foreign policy—India took care of it for them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bhutan owns because theyre the only country that's banned tobacco

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

this whole loving thing just shows how badly that country needs help

i mean they have hard labor camps and they aint afraid to tell us they have em. I'm not inclined to agree with any of their laws. there's no doubt that kid is stupid for stealing, but 15 years in a gulag for stealing is some bullshit

Please don't country-shame

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Vintersorg posted:

have fun with this rear end in a top hat: https://www.google.ca/search?q=nort...iw=1713&bih=776

e: he was a supreme dumbass for taking a poster - but this punishment is gonna kill him

well i bet he wont be taking a second poster, will he?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The phrase Gross National Happiness (GNH); Wylie: gyal-yong ga'a-kyid pal-'dzoms) is a phrase coined in 1972 by Bhutan's fourth Dragon King, Jigme Singye Wangchuck. It represents a commitment to building an economy that would serve Bhutan's culture based on Buddhist spiritual values instead of western material development gauged by gross domestic product (GDP).[1]

all laws have to justify their existence against gross national happiness

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pro scene

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the cia is picking 'em young these days

he probably was about to get caught planting surveillance equipment and decided to swipe the banner instead and play dumb

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

federal express express

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lazydog posted:

federal express express

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Federation Express

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the MIRV delivery system was a great timesaver in theory

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

lol if you think fedex will still be around in 30 years instead of our amazon gig economy hellscape overlords

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

He'll be quietly repatriated after NK is done having their PR field day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

well i bet he wont be taking a second poster, will he?

He 'Otto' be more careful next time lol

• Locked thread