Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Allowing people to directly vote for Supreme Court justices would be disastrous.

Electing judges already makes me think of that massively unqualified lady in the rascal that basically treated her court like it was her little royal audience and made people do her errands and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:psyduck:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/710121883870568449

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't erasing racist culture by Federal brute force the objective of Reconstruction in the first place?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

They're bad people who choose to be bad people.

I mean, only if you think your genetics is the only thing you can't choose.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

MattD1zzl3 posted:

A fair point, but lately i've suspected a pillar of the modern democratic coalition includes a "erode the political power and influence of white dudes on american society faction. I've been kicking the idea around for years now but never heard someone actually say it "aloud". I'm for higher taxation, effective social programs and improving the quality of life of women and minorities who have been hurt by government action and inaction. Bringing down "cultures"? Not so much. I'll die to stop that.

I'm proud to say my voting record is Kerry/Obama/Obama/Sanders. But i'm hoping for a reasonable third party to waste my vote on this time.

I didnt leave the democratic party, The democratic party left me :(

It would appear by using "culture" in an intentionally vague manner, you're allowing yourself to have your cake and eat it too. Which is part of the obesity culture we need to destroy (sorry goons).

Stating that the modern democratic coalition seeks to erode the influence of white dudes relies on painting a wide, diverse group with a narrow definition of culture. White Males in San Francisco, Wall Street, and Appalachia are all very different groups with different needs, desires, and aims. It seems impossible, short of literal genocide, to erode the power of any one of those groups without strengthening another.

Now, people within some of those cultures have absolutely selfselected into subcultures. Some of these are based on exclusivity-that damaging the outgroup is more important than advocating for the in-group or the wider culture they belong to. Eroding the power of those specific subcultures will absolutely strengthen White Males in this country.

Which is to say, you're wrong about your assessment. Unless you believe that Racial/Sexual/Class/Orientation/Religious exclusivity is an integral part of the White Male culture that you'll die to defend. Then you're correct that the Democratic Party left you. I'm just wondering why it took you 32 years of your life to realize that it happened in '48.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Trump got the next GOP debate canceled, it seems.

quote:

The Republican presidential debate scheduled for Monday in Salt Lake City has been canceled after front runner Donald Trump and John Kasich said they would not attend.

Karen Boe, a spokeswoman for the Salt Palace Convention Center, said they were informed Wednesday morning that the event was being scrapped.

Donald Trump said Wednesday morning he would not participate because “we’ve had enough debates.” Trump said Wednesday on Fox News that he’s committed to a big speech the same night.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s spokesman then said he won’t debate without Donald Trump onstage.

The debate was scheduled a day before Utah’s caucus and Arizona’s primary.

It would have been the first presidential debate held in Utah.

I would have been okay with letting Cruz debate himself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Enkmar posted:

I think erasing a culture of racism via robust federal education standards is great :shobon:

this presumes that racism is borne out of ignorance and lack of education, to which i would encourage you to google the "dark enlightenment", or think about how you're going to remove the cultural racism from extremely wealthy northeastern republicans

it's really easy to assume that people who think bad things you don't like are just stupid retards who need to school themselves but this is largely an defensive emotional reaction rather than factually true - if anything, smart people are better at rationalizing their racism as not-racist as well as masking their racism from others

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i'm not sure i understand the reference

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't erasing racist culture by Federal brute force the objective of Reconstruction in the first place?

If that was the goal, it should've been a nationwide program.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm not sure i understand the reference

Benghazi

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

What's the context for this?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kinda. Its more useful to think of Reconstruction as a failed counter-insurgency campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Iron Rose posted:

What's the context for this?

It's better in context:

quote:

But perhaps most important is the way he did it. Throughout the process, Merrick took pains to do everything by the book. When people offered to turn over evidence voluntarily, he refused, taking the harder root of obtaining the proper subpoenas instead, because Merrick would take no chances that someone who murdered innocent Americans might go free on a technicality.

Taking it out of that context, though, turns it into a totally bizarre statement when related to a Supreme Court Justice.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

computer parts posted:

I mean, only if you think your genetics is the only thing you can't choose.

Pretty much. Your environment may influence your opinions and beliefs, but it's up to each individual who chooses to keep them, cherish them, or challenge them. We need to stop pretending that most bigots just don't know any better. Aside form a few mentally handicapped folks, they absolutely do. They have agency just as you and I do.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Allowing people to directly vote for Supreme Court justices would be disastrous.
Whether it is a good or bad idea is irrelevant. The fact is that the Constitution is not at all ambiguous about who appoints and nominates justices, so if he wants to make the case that the people should decide, a process exists for allowing that. So unless he gets an amendment passed, he is clearly calling for the Senate to fail to fulfill its constitutional duty. Unfortunately, the Constitution is not so clear on how to enforce its own mandates beyond a pollyanna-ish belief in the people to vote them out of office at the next opportunity.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Kingfish posted:

Kinda. Its more useful to think of Reconstruction as a failed counter-insurgency campaign.

The fact that we couldn't even mount a successful counter-insurgency campaign in our own country should have spoke volumes about how Vietnam and Iraq would play out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

It's better in context:

Taking it out of that context, though, turns it into a totally bizarre statement when related to a Supreme Court Justice.

It only really makes sense in the context of Merrick is the Punisher.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Pretty much. Your environment may influence your opinions and beliefs, but it's up to each individual who chooses to keep them, cherish them, or challenge them. We need to stop pretending that most bigots just don't know any better. Aside form a few mentally handicapped folks, they absolutely do. They have agency just as you and I do.

It's been proven that after a certain age, most people cannot change their beliefs. Like it's basically impossible to do. What is your response, other than "kill the olds"?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

computer parts posted:

It's been proven that after a certain age, most people cannot change their beliefs. Like it's basically impossible to do. What is your response, other than "kill the olds"?

Apparently the answer is throw up your hands in surrender and let a significant part of the country continue to try to drag the country back to the good ol days of the pre-civil war era.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really my point boils down to a lot of ostensible lefists itt are pissing and moaning about dumb cracker white republican men not because that group is the source of any tangible problem (they're largely powerless) but because that group is the only group that an onstensible twentysomething urban internet leftist can piss on while remaining consistent to their political ideology

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently the answer is throw up your hands in surrender and let a significant part of the country continue to try to drag the country back to the good ol days of the pre-civil war era.

even if we accept this weird fantasy as truth, why are you especially worried about it now in 2016 after multiple decades of social progress as being more likely than in any previous decade

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

computer parts posted:

Maybe not the worst idea?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A Winner is Jew posted:

The fact that we couldn't even mount a successful counter-insurgency campaign in our own country should have spoke volumes about how Vietnam and Iraq would play out.

I know that this reads like a right-wing talking point, but we probably could have won Vietnam and if our troops had the same rules of engagement that they did in the Philippines or the Indian Wars. You can crush an insurgency with institutionalized torture and massacre; that just isn't an option for a state with a liberal electorate and an independent media.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Popular Thug Drink posted:

really my point boils down to a lot of ostensible lefists itt are pissing and moaning about dumb cracker white republican men not because that group is the source of any tangible problem (they're largely powerless) but because that group is the only group that an onstensible twentysomething urban internet leftist can piss on while remaining consistent to their political ideology

You're making some really good posts ITT today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Though it's funny when that cracks, like the infamous "can't we make a white progressive party" comment from the Bernbros.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

computer parts posted:

I think time is going to take care of that for us.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

showbiz_liz posted:

I think time is going to take care of that for us.

"Let the olds die" isn't really that far either.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

have you ever stopped to consider that your preferences and opinions are not automatically superior by virtue of being more right and that part of being a functional social unit in a diverse multicultural society is learning how to disagree with people without demonizing them, labeling them as stupid, or generally asserting your unwarranted ubermenschness

have you ever thought about that

I have, but how can you legitimize the Rural Regressive/Trumpite position without implicitly saying that the equality of minorities is up for debate? After a certain point, it's the whole "tolerate my intolerance" argument writ large. I don't feel like fighting the culture war for the rest of my life, and I certainly don't want another generation or three stuck with having to deal with it. Does your request for multi-culturalism extend to 14:88 style racists, for instance? You have to draw a line somewhere obviously-- I just draw it back to a point where modernity and all the social and scientific progress we've made in the last 150 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

White republican men are powerless?

rkajdi posted:

Regressive

This poo poo is extremely dumb, and there's already a better term for them that starts with an R anyway.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

even if we accept this weird fantasy as truth, why are you especially worried about it now in 2016 after multiple decades of social progress as being more likely than in any previous decade

Its not like a political party has kept a stranglehold on half the country for decades based on those poor "powerless" people.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

Not at all. Time will do that for us. In the meantime, we simply need to encourage more youth voting, as young people far outnumber the elderly.

Aside from that, we do our best to minimize their impact on society around them by various political means. Primarily, by being vigilant against any elected officials who espouse those beliefs. The Trumps and the Cruz's and the LePages of the world should be marginalized and run out of politics with concentrated campaigns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Specifically the rural ones without much money I think. Despite being ostensibly leftist, you see "Meth head" a lot more here than "Coke Head".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

have you ever stopped to consider that your preferences and opinions are not automatically superior by virtue of being more right and that part of being a functional social unit in a diverse multicultural society is learning how to disagree with people without demonizing them, labeling them as stupid, or generally asserting your unwarranted ubermenschness

have you ever thought about that

Nah, I'll happily demonize anybody who defends poo poo like police brutality on racial or authoritarian grounds, or tries to use their religion as a way to deny secular government benefits or vital medical care to people, or any of the other hosed up things that happen in America every day on the basis that it's reflective of the "good old days" with mom and apple pie and segregation, and you could pop your wife in the mouth and the police wouldn't even show up -wait, that one still happens. (White) America was arguably more prosperous back in the 50s or whatever time period these people are pining for, but also we were a nation of monsters who hid our overall social barbarism behind a veneer of kitschy WASPy bullshit, and didn't hide our racism or our sexism at all.

These people choose to believe the things they believe, because they feel that a world that embodies ideals of white power, racial isolation, patriarchy, anarcho-capitalism, and/or religious law would benefit them personally. Whether they have reached this conclusion by means of analysis, or are simply acting on tradition, is irrelevant. If they were interested in a just or equal society, then they would pursue one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Specifically the rural ones without much money I think. Despite being ostensibly leftist, you see "Meth head" a lot more here than "Coke Head".

Ah ok.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

I have, but how can you legitimize the Rural Regressive/Trumpite position without implicitly saying that the equality of minorities is up for debate? After a certain point, it's the whole "tolerate my intolerance" argument writ large. I don't feel like fighting the culture war for the rest of my life, and I certainly don't want another generation or three stuck with having to deal with it. Does your request for multi-culturalism extend to 14:88 style racists, for instance? You have to draw a line somewhere obviously-- I just draw it back to a point where modernity and all the social and scientific progress we've made in the last 150 years.

i'm not saying you have to tolerate anything, i'm just calling you out for your odd fantasies about fixing america by pulling some reverse deliverance scenario and salting the cultural earth of nascarland. you're going to fight the culture war until you die because guess what, a multicultural democracy cuts both ways. you can't have a diverse massive country with freedom of speech and thought where everyone happens to agree with you

anyway just to be clear i am directly stating that your opinions are bad. i don't need to agree with the people you're mocking to mock you

zoux posted:

poor rural white republican men are

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Oh yes, those poor, marginalized and powerless white men who control most state & local legislatures, the U.S. House and Senate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Oh yes, those poor, marginalized and powerless white men who control most state & local legislatures, the U.S. House and Senate.

I think you'll find rich people control those.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

I think you'll find rich people control those.

Depends on the area. Local government is a "good ol' boys" network of assholes. Some rich, some poor, all assholes. And those poor white constituents are who put them there, and are happy that way. They don't hate the local boys in charge. They hate "that friend of the family in the White house"(sic).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think the big question here is when can we start the white enslavement and genocide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Depends on the area. Local government is a "good ol' boys" network of assholes. Some rich, some poor, all assholes. And those poor white constituents are who put them there, and are happy that way. They don't hate the local boys in charge. They hate "that friend of the family in the White house"(sic).

So only 3/4 of the examples you mentioned are controlled by rich people.

• Locked thread