Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

BigFactory posted:

Are you going to try and undercut those sellers?

No OP but, let's say I do? Is someone from Discogs going to dox me like that time I undercut a Goon in the Warcraft Auction House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

Their new album Basses Loaded has 2 or 3 for some reason.

Because after they fired Kevin Rutmanis, Buzz and Dale decided to just use guests. Hence using Trevor Dunn on Freak Puke, JD Pinkus on Hold it In, and that dude from Redd Kross on 3 Men and A Baby. I think Basses Loaded is different bassists on different tracks rather than multiple bassists on individual tracks, though.

Apparently there was a tenative plan to work with Dave and Krist (hence Krist being on Basses Loaded) on an album of Nirvana covers, but only Krist showed up to the rehearsals and Dave decided to do that song with Paul McCartney instead....

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

No OP but, let's say I do? Is someone from Discogs going to dox me like that time I undercut a Goon in the Warcraft Auction House?

No, i'm just saying, it's never sold on Discogs for the prices it's being listed at. Just because someone's asking a grand for it doesn't mean it's worth that much.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

SeXReX posted:

What's the opinion on replacement styluses?

I've specifically got a shure 5x that needs replacing and it looks like options are 15 for a mystery part and 30 for one from lpgear.

Is lp gear generally a trusted source for replacements?

I typically use The Needle Doctor.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does anybody here know how I can spot the difference between the mixes of Sam Cooke's Live at the Harlem Square Club? I know one reissue got the bright idea to blow out his vocals until you could hardly hear the rest of the band, while the other is perfect.

Look and see if you can find any info on the inner groove etchings. They'll likely be different, and that will help you.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Because after they fired Kevin Rutmanis, Buzz and Dale decided to just use guests. Hence using Trevor Dunn on Freak Puke, JD Pinkus on Hold it In, and that dude from Redd Kross on 3 Men and A Baby. I think Basses Loaded is different bassists on different tracks rather than multiple bassists on individual tracks, though

For some reason I was thinking it was on individual tracks. Either way I'm hype for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

For some reason I was thinking it was on individual tracks. Either way I'm hype for it.

Me too! I'm also seeing them in April w/Melt Banana and Napalm Death, it's gonna rule

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

So is Discogs pretty much the best place to sell collectible vinyl? I've got a first-press King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard 12 Bar Bruise which currently has two copies listed at $525 and $1000, and wouldn't mind using it to fund a replacement turntable for my currently broken one.

BigFactory posted:

No, i'm just saying, it's never sold on Discogs for the prices it's being listed at. Just because someone's asking a grand for it doesn't mean it's worth that much.

Yeah, looking on popsike, it looks like it sells for more around $200, although prices look like they're going up. Maybe if you have #1 you can get more for it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah, looking on popsike, it looks like it sells for more around $200, although prices look like they're going up. Maybe if you have #1 you can get more for it.

Or if it's unopened.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
On January 17th someone paid $100 on discogs for a copy of Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves. Classic album.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

On January 17th someone paid $100 on discogs for a copy of Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves. Classic album.

Only funny if you leave out the details....

quote:

Comments: Autographed by Bob Segar, Chris Campbell, and Alto Reed. All signed in blue sharpie. 100% Authentic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

Only funny if you leave out the details....

Idk, I think that could go either way.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Idk, I think that could go either way.

I took a guitar class in college for easy credit and the guy who sat next to me said his favorite band EVER was Bob Segar. I'll never forget that.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
all of you need to stop roasting my purchase immediately

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone know of any decent record stores in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina? Google's top suggestion was a Radio Shack with a vinyl section. :staredog:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The nearest record store focuses mainly on punk/noise and always has a solid collection of obscure-ish Residents pressings.

I'm probably going back tomorrow because they had a Boredoms Michidai/Fuanteidai 7" up on their wall.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ballz posted:

Anyone know of any decent record stores in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina? Google's top suggestion was a Radio Shack with a vinyl section. :staredog:

Squidco has a record store in Wilmington, but that might not be very close. If you like experimental music at all I think it might be amazing. I really want to go, but I don't ever see myself within 500 miles.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Toe Rag posted:

Squidco has a record store in Wilmington, but that might not be very close. If you like experimental music at all I think it might be amazing. I really want to go, but I don't ever see myself within 500 miles.

Are you the person who sent me a draft of an oral history book about anarcho-punk on SLSK like a decade ago?

I also bought the new Dawn Richard single from Local Action but thanks to RSD it doesn't actually ship until the end of April.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Haha, I might be. I was really into anarcho punk a decade ago (I still like it), and my slsk username was Toe Rag, toerag, or something like that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I guess the This Heat remasters sold well because they just confirmed Light in the Attic is doing Camberwell Now reissues in September.

gently caress. YEAH.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

I've had The Gun Club's Miami on my buy-list for a while now so I thought I'd grab Fire of Love: I can dig it.
Tom Waits' The Black Rider is definitely unofficial/bootleg/whatever - but hey it's saving me like 80 bucks and I'm really happy to have stumbled upon it.
And I had forgotten how much I like the Velvet Underground!

Also,

Enjoy!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
All those albums are real good fine choices my friend

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just picked up a copy of MOFI's release of Surfer Rosa and holy crap that is a fantastic sounding LP. I think I'm going to have to seek out some more of their releases. Maybe not at $35 a pop but for the ~$18 I paid, total no brainer.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Barry posted:

I just picked up a copy of MOFI's release of Surfer Rosa and holy crap that is a fantastic sounding LP. I think I'm going to have to seek out some more of their releases. Maybe not at $35 a pop but for the ~$18 I paid, total no brainer.

Yours came too? Mine arrived today. I am excited.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ShotgunWillie posted:

Yours came too? Mine arrived today. I am excited.

Came on Saturday morning. I don't remember where I saw the deal but I am glad I did and waited out it being out of stock for so long.

One thing that really threw me is that how free it is of the loudness war nonsense. I had to jack my amp the hell up to get it to "normal" levels.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Barry posted:

We have their Weezer blue album and I think a couple others I don't play as much, but I do remember they all sound super

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Does anyone have/ever had a JVC L-A55 Turntable? I have one but the auto lift/auto return is kind of flakey.

I've done the old 'remove the foam gudge' thing but its still not right. There are two cogs under the platter - one to drive the platter, one to operate the auto return. Auto return cog doesnt work properly unless I exert physical presssure onto it.

Any easy fixes for this?

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Their physical location is a mile from my house and the people there are nice and helpful. I'm guessing their online shop is pretty similar.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Got some stuff from Ninja Tune:

The new The Qemists album is reaaaaally good if you like rock guitar flavoured drum and bass things:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I just discovered an amazing used record store a mile from my house. They have an enormous selection of old vinyl, and I'm planning on going in and exploring this weekend sometime.

Any tips for looking at old vinyl? I really have no idea what to look for apart from "don't buy a visibly scratched record."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

I just discovered an amazing used record store a mile from my house. They have an enormous selection of old vinyl, and I'm planning on going in and exploring this weekend sometime.

Any tips for looking at old vinyl? I really have no idea what to look for apart from "don't buy a visibly scratched record."

Vinyl breaks down with age if it's not stored in acid-free sleeves sometimes. A quick taste usually will tell you if it's got some life left. If it's bitter leave it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah.

First off, do they grade records?

Secondly, have an idea what things are worth. Do some research with your phone if the price seems high.

Thirdly, look at the whole package. If the cover is bad, the record might not be in good shape.

Finally, buy up all the copies of Whipped Cream to drive up prices locally.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pingiivi posted:

Got some stuff from Ninja Tune:

This right here is the best album I've bought in the last 6 months.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

stupid puma posted:

Their physical location is a mile from my house and the people there are nice and helpful. I'm guessing their online shop is pretty similar.

Hey I'm pretty close too neat

I ended up getting one online but I've got a headshell with a mystery cartridge mounted on it I bet they can find exactly what stylus I need.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Peas and Rice posted:

Play it before you buy it. The shop should have a turntable or two set up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Peas and Rice posted:

The best advice I can provide is to quit while you're ahead and run screaming into the night.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Peas and Rice posted:

Also look to see if the record is visibly warped, and as someone else suggested, you should definitely test the record out and listen on one of their setups in the store. Enjoy your new-found love of Herb Alpert.

CPL593H posted:

The best advice I can provide is to quit while you're ahead and run screaming into the night.

Actually, this is an even better idea.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This right here is the best album I've bought in the last 6 months.

I really dig it too, and understand trying to keep the records the way they are for the theme or whatever (that becomes more apparent with the physical package), but I feel like they're really stretching how much music they're putting on each side with that release.

Let's talk record cleaning machines. I've got my eye on something a little better than the cloth and Phoenix solution I picked up from SleeveCity ages ago, as some of my older and used vinyl still sounds lovely even after a good cleaning. I'm looking at the SpinClean ($80, though I'll probably opt for the more expensive package with the clear one) and the Record Doctor V ($200), both manual, but the RDV has a vacuum and is apparently loud as poo poo when it's on. I almost feel like I'd be better off with the SpinClean, but wouldn't mind hearing about firsthand experience if anyone has any.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've been pretty happy with my SpinClean, especially compared to a classic DiscWasher, but I haven't used it a whole lot. I have another set of 20 records I hope to get through it this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
A Spin Clean is good if you're on a budget. I've been using one to great success for several years now. While I don't think will be as thorough as anything with a vacuum, it's possibly the best you're going to get without one. I would absolutely not recommend the Disc Washer under any circumstance because at best it just moves the dirt around the grooves of a record and at worst it's probably grinding that poo poo in deeper. Any any rate it does nothing to actually clean records and is basically a relic of the 70s when there were numerous snake oil solutions to cleaning records.