Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

Captain Log posted:

Sounds like some young guys that aren't thinking too much. Ask them why they ate the ice cream and tell them how it could effect things. See if they care.

The owner/head chef was in on it and thought it was hilarious. They did not think i was so funny later on this weekend when the sous accidentally tossed 2 trays of bread pudding, we had no spare bread in house to make new and I was still trying to cover the ice cream shortage and therefore didn't have time. I had made a point earlier in the week that loving my station over for fun can mean I don't have time to deal with other emergencies. Nobody like a Cassandra...

They tried to buy me off with a cheeseburger, I'm glaring less but still mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PhoenixShen posted:

The owner/head chef was in on it and thought it was hilarious. They did not think i was so funny later on this weekend when the sous accidentally tossed 2 trays of bread pudding, we had no spare bread in house to make new and I was still trying to cover the ice cream shortage and therefore didn't have time. I had made a point earlier in the week that loving my station over for fun can mean I don't have time to deal with other emergencies. Nobody like a Cassandra...

They tried to buy me off with a cheeseburger, I'm glaring less but still mad.

I wouldn't move one inch faster than normal if this was a situation created by the owner. Hell, I'd be tempted to twist an ankle or sprain a wrist as an excuse to move that much slower.

Pranks are one thing, loving someone over and forcing them to work double time is lovely - especially when it's the boss who's doing it, who also isn't giving you adequate time just to get your normal stuff done.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Fleetwood posted:

Something quick and easy you can do is to take a look at the fryers. I worked at one place where the flueboxes at the back of the fryers were so ill-maintanted that they had completely bowed inward from gunk and debris building up in the caseback. Maybe someday I'll post pics of all the gunk I chiseled out of them.

I've worked nearly the full spectrum of kitchens, but it's the gross/dangerous stuff that you remember the most.

Yeah, my first cooking job was at this lovely bar in Georgia. The boss never changed the oil. Like the poo poo would be in there for a month. Black and smokey all the time. I didn't really know any better as I was young and retarded. Place ended up going good out of business. We also bought half of out poo poo from the grocery store. Should have seen the signs...

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

cods posted:

Should have seen the signs...

The place I mentioned didn't have a robocoupe either. Dark times in that joint.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Any of you guys and gals have experience doing yeasted donuts or beignets fried to order during service? I tried keeping the unfried donuts at kitchen temp and they got really overproofed and misshapen but when fried straight from the fridge they were totally raw/goopy in the middle when the outside was well-browned.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Thoht posted:

Any of you guys and gals have experience doing yeasted donuts or beignets fried to order during service? I tried keeping the unfried donuts at kitchen temp and they got really overproofed and misshapen but when fried straight from the fridge they were totally raw/goopy in the middle when the outside was well-browned.

You probably need to proof them for a certain amount of time before refrigerating them then. If you're already doing that and they're still too dense, I'd guess that you just proof for longer before putting them in the fridge. I've never actually done either of those though, so who knows.

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

Thoht posted:

Beignets yes. I keep them rolled out in my lowboy and they last about 2 days. Donuts we mix and shape the night before and leave in the fridge for the final proof. Then fry to order.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

cods posted:

1. The place doesn't have a (real) Vitamix or robocoupe. This one sounds silly but I will never ever not follow this rule ever again. Although in the UK do you guys have some called a thermo mix?Not entirely sure if that translates 100%.

Thermomixes are amazing and you can do so much in them. They're completely unbreakable.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Thoht posted:

I cut my beignets beforehand and keep them cold til I fry them.

And cods, I can relate so hard. My current gig is getting more and more questionable. Every time my fancy food reps come by, I have to resist the urge to pry into their job openings.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Tender Child Loins posted:

I cut my beignets beforehand and keep them cold til I fry them.

And cods, I can relate so hard. My current gig is getting more and more questionable. Every time my fancy food reps come by, I have to resist the urge to pry into their job openings.

Do it man. Life is too short to have a Bullshit job, especially if your cooking. That's hard enough right there. Theres so many good jobs for good people it's not even worth it to stay at a lovely place. What's your current situation?

Also there was a tasting for a new chef this morning at my place and it didn't go well. Lol. Dude either choked or wasn't very good. Basically hosed everything. Owner(who is a dick) put down fork after first bite. The guy kept talking about foie, and other expensive poo poo that the owner doesn't like. Told my sous today I'm leaving, he was totally cool with it. And understands completely. He's still fine where he's at because his salary is good and this place is really close to his apt.

Also just found one of the assistant gms put in her notice yesterday too. She found an amazing job and is taking it. Gm is freaking out. Three more weeks...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I gave three weeks notice today and GM bugged out a bit. Everybody else was crazy supportive. So I feel alright.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm happy for all of you moving on to better things.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

cods posted:

Do it man. Life is too short to have a Bullshit job, especially if your cooking. That's hard enough right there. Theres so many good jobs for good people it's not even worth it to stay at a lovely place. What's your current situation?

I'm an exec chef at a place that's been struggling since long before I got there a few months ago. Some of the telltale signs you wrote about were there: no working kitchenaid, no robocoup, a household blender, no dates or labels on anything, really. Also, super high turnover: I'm the third chef in a year. The owners do the exact things that make my anxiety flare up, like not communicating big events until right before they're happening, not being forthright about what they want. And you can kind of tell from the restaurant space, which looks and feels unfocused. And obviously they're paying me well below the mean salary of chefs in my region. I thought I would be able to make it work but they treat me and the rest of the staff like servants on the rare occasions they show up to the place. I like the rest of the staff, and I don't want to put them through more turnover. But ffffffuck, it's so draining being there. I know I deserve better than this.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Server: "Hey, you know that guy? That guy outside? He works for the golf course outside? *proceeds to spend almost a minute describing this person and what they do at the golf course*"

Me: "...yes?"

Server: "He wants a hot dog."

:cripes:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Hey you know the lady who has a standing reservation every saturday and always gets the 10oz fillet sub fett alf for the sides, pepper allergy and the bus girl steals your balsamic reduction squirter to do weird oil/vin art? She wants to know if she can do x instead of y

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

I'm an exec chef at a place that's been struggling since long before I got there a few months ago. Some of the telltale signs you wrote about were there: no working kitchenaid, no robocoup, a household blender, no dates or labels on anything, really. Also, super high turnover: I'm the third chef in a year. The owners do the exact things that make my anxiety flare up, like not communicating big events until right before they're happening, not being forthright about what they want. And you can kind of tell from the restaurant space, which looks and feels unfocused. And obviously they're paying me well below the mean salary of chefs in my region. I thought I would be able to make it work but they treat me and the rest of the staff like servants on the rare occasions they show up to the place. I like the rest of the staff, and I don't want to put them through more turnover. But ffffffuck, it's so draining being there. I know I deserve better than this.

Ruuuuuun. Not worth it. Short enough not to go in your resume. You'll feel so much better. If they don't care, you shouldn't either. Personally I realized I can't work in a disorganized place. If it's older and hosed up and nothing works, and there isn't the money or the team to have it taken care if properly go to a real place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is part of being a chef not loving standing up for yourself, because the kitchens you describe are places I would quit on principle as a server.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Willie Tomg posted:

the absolute worst worst WORST injury i ever saw in a kitchen was subbing prep/bitch detail at a BBQ place one night as a 2-3 gallon batch of molasses came off the stove, got butterfinger bumbled and dropped into another line cook's cowboy boot he was wearing presumably for aesthetic appeal in defiance of the one thousand reasons cowboy boots are awful to wear in a dangerous workplace

and now i don't wanna armchair quarterback homie's process too much because it was a stressful situation and folk don't think with their brainminds in those times, but the dude rips the boot clean off as hard as he can

that's how i learned what footbones look like!

in summary: please only do molten sugars in small managable batches while wearing appropriate PPE. stay frosty goons, its a jungle out there...

Hot sugar is terrifying if you don't know your poo poo. Guys at the restaurants I delivered to used to give me poo poo for always wearing long sleeved coats in the summer, despite it being drat near 120 in the bakery, and I'd just show 'em the scars on my arms from caramel splashes and they'd shut right up.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Skwirl posted:

Is part of being a chef not loving standing up for yourself, because the kitchens you describe are places I would quit on principle as a server.

I guess a large part of it is that I ended up being like that frog being slowly boiled to death. I just jumped in too fast and didn't notice how bad the situation was. It's absolutely on me for being naive about the whole thing!

Related question: how much notice should I give? Two months seems like not enough!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:lol: give less than 2 months

a lot less

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Hey you know how I was coming into work today? I'm fully not, hey. Sozzos!

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Related question: how much notice should I give? Two months seems like not enough!

Not a restaurant person myself, but generally unless you're some kind of high-level executive leaving on good terms, two months is a ridiculous amount of time just about anywhere...moreso if the place is a shithole. Two weeks is more like it, and even that may be a little generous going by some of the experiences i've seen here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, why on earth would you give that much notice? You can be replaced more quickly than that, and unless you're giving notice without a new job, it just screams that you aren't really ready to leave.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I guess a large part of it is that I ended up being like that frog being slowly boiled to death. I just jumped in too fast and didn't notice how bad the situation was. It's absolutely on me for being naive about the whole thing!

We had this discussion a while ago and some idiot said less than 3 months was insulting. But dude if the kitchen is hosed up they are lucky if they get 3 days. A few weeks should be fine. just line up another job and get the hell out of there.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We had this discussion a while ago and some idiot said less than 3 months was insulting. But dude if the kitchen is hosed up they are lucky if they get 3 days. A few weeks should be fine. just line up another job and get the hell out of there.

Hahahaha 3 months notice in a kitchen, oh my god thats rich

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

2 days sounds more than generous based on what you're describing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

the great deceiver posted:

Hahahaha 3 months notice in a kitchen, oh my god thats rich

Depends on the kitchen. If you're a sous or higher in a Michelin starred place, you'll give at least 2mos, or word will travel and it'll be hard for you to keep working in the Michelin circuit. If I were to leave my current place, I'm expected to give 1 month notice to be rehireable in the future. For hourly it's only 2 weeks, exec committee is 2-3 months. i.e., exec chef, F&B Director, etc.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Yeah, sometimes your so desperate to leave to place your at you will take anything. My last place I left for totally different reasons(OK we are going to become a catering company now and a restaurant now, and we don't need a separate space for anything, we will just use the restaurants line for everything. Also you're in charge of all that catering poo poo too k thanks)

I took a job that was much closer to my apt., more money, andseemingly more chill. It just turned out to be a poo poo show. In the back of my mind I think I kinda knew, but I denied it.

I mentioned before there was a tasting yesterday at my place to replace me. Apparently the first thing the guy saw was a rodent scurry across the kitchen. Lol. I shouldnt laugh but this is after two day of serious beginning of the week deep clean that we do and everything was clean as gently caress. Its just the ghetto building full of holes . So nasty. Three more weeks!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Most industries have two weeks as standard, why should restaurants be any different? Assuming we're not talking multiple michelin stars or similar?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Our Saute, Garde, Head Chef, probably Pastry too, all gone within the next 3 weeks. Exec and Pastry have been here for 9 years. Plus we lost 2 servers, a bartender and a concierge in last month. Pretty brutal.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Ouch. That's gotta be rough. As a chef the standard is about a month. Longer if your are nice/leaving on good terms. Because to hire a chef you have to interview them, do a tasting, and then they have to put in their notice, which is usually a month. It takes a lot of time.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Whenever I wrote a label today, it made me want to giggle a little bit inside. The idea of someone holding up big signs that read BEEF RIBS 3/16, PARSNIP MASH 3/16, SLICED TOMATOES 3/16, et cetera at a major sporting event entered my mind every time.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Today's highlight include:

1. Half rear end Puerto Rican handy man came to fix more holes/cracks in the walk in. This is like the fourth time. The holes and cracks are where the rodents Come from. You would think this would have been taken care of properly by a professional like the first time we noticed a HUGE loving HEALTHCOdE Disaster like this. But no, let's send this guy multiple times to slap some bondo on the poo poo and call it a day.

2. Had to throw out about 4 dozen oysters because the drain pan under the walk in fans is full of holes and gross walk in condensation bypasses the drain and leaks onto everything. We keep a bus tub underneath it, but still. HAPRHM(half rear end Puerto Rican handyman) has attempted this repair several times. Today was the third, but it's still hosed and leaks. I've suggested just to by a new loving piece but no, slap some silicone on that poo poo and call it a day.

3. On my day off someone tried to butcher a pork rack, and they really loving butchered it and it's all hosed up and I can't use it.

4. Remember how I said HAPRHY came and tried to fix the cracks, instead of doing this early in the. Morning, or late at night so it could have some chance of drying and not getting hosed up, he did it at about 1pm and put up a bunch of wet cement signs, and all this poo poo runs right in the middle of the walk in and is full of foot prints. And then my cooks are retarded and this happened. White stuff is wet Concrete. Lol. 2.5 more weeks!

https://imgur.com/nBq7gcF

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cods posted:

1. Half rear end Puerto Rican handy man came to fix more holes/cracks in the walk in. This is like the fourth time. The holes and cracks are where the rodents Come from. You would think this would have been taken care of properly by a professional like the first time we noticed a HUGE loving HEALTHCOdE Disaster like this. But no, let's send this guy multiple times to slap some bondo on the poo poo and call it a day.

2. Had to throw out about 4 dozen oysters because the drain pan under the walk in fans is full of holes and gross walk in condensation bypasses the drain and leaks onto everything. We keep a bus tub underneath it, but still. HAPRHM(half rear end Puerto Rican handyman) has attempted this repair several times. Today was the third, but it's still hosed and leaks. I've suggested just to by a new loving piece but no, slap some silicone on that poo poo and call it a day.

3. On my day off someone tried to butcher a pork rack, and they really loving butchered it and it's all hosed up and I can't use it.

4. Remember how I said HAPRHY came and tried to fix the cracks, instead of doing this early in the. Morning, or late at night so it could have some chance of drying and not getting hosed up, he did it at about 1pm and put up a bunch of wet cement signs, and all this poo poo runs right in the middle of the walk in and is full of foot prints. And then my cooks are retarded and this happened. White stuff is wet Concrete. Lol. 2.5 more weeks!

What capricious god did you offend to be cursed like this? :stonk:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What capricious god did you offend to be cursed like this? :stonk:

The wrong one, obv

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

cods posted:

At this point there's no justification for showing up tomorrow (unless you really need the money).

I'm working four doubles straight and half of our staff is sick and therefore calling off every shift, which is doing good things for my income. Shoutout to the Trump supporter who decided to be a smartass prick upon being greeted and only got one minute of service his entire visit.

vvv: I worked four years in a BBQ chain, so I'm very used to being slammed in the summer/nice weather and dead in the winter. Here it's apparently different. I'm pretty sure my boss is lying through his teeth because he told me that everyone around here slows down in the summer, and in the next breath that with all the sports/events in downtown Cincinnati there's always something bringing people out to eat. Aside from the obvious jokes about Cincinnati/Ohio sports, what's the consensus on busy vs slow seasons?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 17, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Depends on the kitchen. If you're a sous or higher in a Michelin starred place, you'll give at least 2mos, or word will travel and it'll be hard for you to keep working in the Michelin circuit. If I were to leave my current place, I'm expected to give 1 month notice to be rehireable in the future. For hourly it's only 2 weeks, exec committee is 2-3 months. i.e., exec chef, F&B Director, etc.

Oh okay fair enough, I could definitely see that. I'm a line cook at a dumb hipster restaurant so the idea of someone giving three months notice made me laugh.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I did not realize how loud 15 drunk italian women could be. They stayed through the lunch close all the way until we had to start setting up for dinner around them. One of them was the owners sister, so he insisted that I give them a bottle of sambucca to work on also that meant I couldn't tell them to gently caress off. My favorite was the lady who paid saying she only closed out because she thought the servers were leaving and since I was there anyways they might as well have more wine. I"D LEAVE IF YOU WOULD YOU SHRIEKING MIMSY

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Highlights today:

Stopping dishwasher from washing oysters because he was going to wash them in the dishwasher.

Talking down sous chef from quitting, because I am quitting, and so is another manager. Too much crazy.

Dishwasher called out because his testicles hurt.

Trail didn't show up. 2nd one this week.

Edit: service hasn't started yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

cods posted:

Talking down sous chef from quitting, because I am quitting, and so is another manager. Too much crazy.

Wouldn't this be a good reason for him to quit, not to stay?

• Locked thread