Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I guess we can also figure that this means that Microsoft's next console is probably going to be Crossfired out the door. I hope that means an end to microstutter.

It's been well established that XDMA crossfire is very smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Razer Core eGPU dock is going to launch at $500 with no card included. Ouch.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...strip=0&vwsrc=0

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

repiv posted:

The Razer Core eGPU dock is going to launch at $500 with no card included. Ouch.

Ouch. Better be able to amortize that over the life of multiple cards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Pretty expensive pcie slot

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

quote:

The Razer Core supports larger displays. It costs $500 without a graphics card, and it costs $400 when purchased with a Razer Stealth laptop. The machines are shipping in April.
Well I was kinda expecting $400, guess I wasn’t completely off :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Pretty expensive pcie slot

When you take into account 3m charges $90 for a loving cable extension

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...X00gaAp_88P8HAQ

Its not TERRIBLE

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-gameworks-sdk-3-1-released.html

Some components of Gameworks are shifting to an open source model. Thanks AMD :cheers:

The licence isn't quite as permissive as GPUOpen, but it's close. Developers are allowed to modify the code however they like as long as they credit Nvidia.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
As someone who's never been too concerned with the moral good that open source brings, what benefits does this have for me, the selfish consumer? Potentially better optimization?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Possibly AMD being able to driver-hack a way to get some Gameworks stuff running a bit faster on GCN/Polaris/whatever.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

HMS Boromir posted:

As someone who's never been too concerned with the moral good that open source brings, what benefits does this have for me, the selfish consumer? Potentially better optimization?

It's so that NVIDIA can't make a game run poo poo on your AMD computer.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kontradaz posted:

It's so that NVIDIA can't make a game run poo poo on your AMD computer.

TIL nvidia makes games

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

When you take into account 3m charges $90 for a loving cable extension

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...X00gaAp_88P8HAQ

Its not TERRIBLE

To be fair to 3M, that cable is the only one of it's kind. It's a low-production cable that uses expensive twin-axial cabling to reduce crosstalk, which is the only way to get a PCI ribbon cable to extend that far. PCI slots were never meant to have riser/extensions and even a few inches worth of extension can necessitate going into your BIOS and clocking down to PCI 2.0 or 1.0 just to avoid launching into a blank screen.

I also think that 3M will drop the price if you do a bulk order, as that super small Dan A4 case intends to ship with those risers.

If you need a long riser, your next best bet is my homies at Li-Heat in China who make flexible shielded cables at $20-30 a pop, I can personally vouch that they make a great cable and it works a fuckton better than duck-taping aluminum foil to one of those $5 risers that were all pumped out of one factory during the Bitcoin era.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Don Lapre posted:

TIL nvidia makes games

nvidia will happily send developers to tune (read: fix) AAA titles for NVIDIA hardware

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I've had my MSI GTX 970 for 5 months now, and it has begun to make horrendous coil whine. Or at least I assume it is the card. I'm talking nails on chalkboard intensity. Any chance it could be a bulging capacitor? The sound only occurs during gaming, all the temps look fine, no overclocking. If it keeps it up I will have to record it because drat is it loving loud.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Don Lapre posted:

TIL nvidia makes games

Run *like* poo poo is probably what they meant. Also, Nvidia will sure as hell send programmers over to help work on your game "better take advantage of Nvidia GameWorks". With pleasure.

e:fb

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

reagan posted:

I've had my MSI GTX 970 for 5 months now, and it has begun to make horrendous coil whine. Or at least I assume it is the card. I'm talking nails on chalkboard intensity. Any chance it could be a bulging capacitor? The sound only occurs during gaming, all the temps look fine, no overclocking. If it keeps it up I will have to record it because drat is it loving loud.

It would not be a bulging cap, it's those chokes that say "R32" or whatever on them. You can't open them up to put a dab of hot melt glue on them like you used to, so you'll just have to live with it or RMA it.

Also, make sure you set a drat frame limit in your overclocking app, otherwise the card could be trying to render 3000 fps during a menu or whatever. You can try overclocking or underclocking to see if the acoustics change.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

The Expresscard experiments from forever ago cost 600 dollars and those were pcie x1 :unsmigghh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All that talk of multi-chip GPU reminds me of something...

and that didn't end very well for them...

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

All that talk of multi-chip GPU reminds me of something...

and that didn't end very well for them...

How was that thing cooled?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've mused about why AMD would bother making the Pro Duo when Polaris is around the proverbial corner.

I figure it's a combination of halo marketing and dry run for a dual Polaris gpu. :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

El Scotch posted:

I've mused about why AMD would bother making the Pro Duo when Polaris is around the proverbial corner.

I figure it's a combination of halo marketing and dry run for a dual Polaris gpu. :shrug:
I think it has to do with a combination of Fiji yields being comically poo poo and not actually getting much in the way of margins in return for the Fury price points

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Given the last minute changes I don't think even AMD knew what they were aiming for. In early February they were still teasing it as a 12 TFLOP card with 2x8pin, then 6 weeks later it reappeared as a 16 TFLOP card with 3x8pin and a bigger board.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

Back in those days sensibly-sized passive heatsinks were still sufficient. First graphics card I remember getting with a fan was the original Geforce.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

Hey, kids! Is your PC some crappy officeputer with a tiny power supply and no 6pin PCIe auxiliary power connectors? Well, now you can put a GTX 950 in it!

MSI has joined ASUS in the board-powered GTX 950 game:

http://www.techpowerup.com/220947/msi-launches-new-geforce-gtx-950-graphics-cards-with-75w-board-power.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SinineSiil posted:

Back then gpus didn't produce that much heat. They would have used little heatsinks with fans on them.

This is a preproduction 3dfx 6000 board

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hell, my first proper video card was a GeForce MX440. That poo poo was practically passively cooled, with how small the heatsinks were. And the reference models were!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hell, my first proper video card was a GeForce MX440. That poo poo was practically passively cooled, with how small the heatsinks were. And the reference models were!

The MX440 was SUPER low end at the time. It was basically Nvidia using the Geforce 4 naming to gently caress over consumrs. It was lower end than the previous geforce 3.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Scotch posted:

Is a single Polaris likely to give as much performance as that thing? ...ignoring whatever Crossfire difficulties at least.

And speaking of multi GPU, how does stuff like PowerVR's multi core GPUs compare in terms of implementation?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You're making me feel old. My first 3d card was a 3dfx voodoo banshee. It could get 60fps at quake 2 at 640x480! (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-chips,83-7.html)
The MX cards were a strange beast. The Ti4200 was the best deal of that generation (and incidentally, my third video card).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
My first card was a creative viper. :(

edit: lol check out this press release still on nvidia's website

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20020109_5701.html

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 16, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Naffer posted:

You're making me feel old. My first 3d card was a 3dfx voodoo banshee. It could get 60fps at quake 2 at 640x480! (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-chips,83-7.html)
The MX cards were a strange beast. The Ti4200 was the best deal of that generation (and incidentally, my third video card).
I got an original Radeon LE DDR for the same price as a Geforce 2 MX, but it had pixel shaders and other pretty graphical features!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When's the expected Polaris launch?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

september "at the latest"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

The MX440 was SUPER low end at the time. It was basically Nvidia using the Geforce 4 naming to gently caress over consumrs. It was lower end than the previous geforce 3.

That was my first one. As I recall, it was actually a GeForce 2 with some additional hardware. No shaders though, I remember not being able to play certain games because of it. Or an old shader model or something. The real GeForce 4 had them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Naffer posted:

Voodoo 2 + Mach64 4MB supremacy! :D

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Voodoo Rush owner checking in. I had one in my Compaq P-75 running Windows 3.1. One night at like 2am I finally got OpenGL Glide Mechwarrior 2 Mercs running from DOS. That was a glorious sight to behold.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

That was my first one. As I recall, it was actually a GeForce 2 with some additional hardware. No shaders though, I remember not being able to play certain games because of it. Or an old shader model or something. The real GeForce 4 had them.

Right. It was a rebadged GeForce 2. A DX7 card in an era when there was DX8 and 9 capable hardware.

That meant no vertex shaders, no floating-point color datatypes, none of that, in a market when the ATI Radeon 9000 series existed.

I did say it was my first video card, after all. I was what, 12? I got it in order to be able to play the PC port of FF7. =P

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 16, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
First card I had was a Diamond Stealth II S220, 4MB of PCI goodness playing VQuake on an old-rear end Pentium 100 computer that had 8MB EDO :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ozz81 posted:

First card I had was a Diamond Stealth II S220, 4MB of PCI goodness playing VQuake on an old-rear end Pentium 100 computer that had 8MB EDO :smug:

First card I had was an original TNT 16MB, paired with an 8MB Voodoo II, both of which got replaced about a year and a half later by a $329 GeForce DDR 32MB. Before that was a super-cheap 486SX/33 husk that was upgraded with an 83Mhz 'Overdrive' processor (we got one of the ones that worked well, amazingly enough), and 12MB of mismatched memory and a stock 4MB DIMM. I called it the FrankenBox.

repiv posted:

I'm sure you're paying for the same quality that they put into their ultra-reliable peripherals that I never hear anyone say bad things about.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 16, 2016