Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How the cost to players is presented absolutely matters. This is a unique situation in that paying money to play Tree of Savior is only temporary, which in itself is nothing new (plenty of MMOs do this), but by as much as three months is something I have never seen before. This for all intents and purposes a three month long head start even if it is not being called that. Plus on an exclusive server is really odd, although Everquest 2 tried this so it's not a new idea, but let me tell you from experience with that game; it's a lovely idea that is not going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to grind on a server for 3 months to be max level and when everyone leaves I'll have to...make a character on a full server?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i havent read anything official that hints towards founder exclusive servers. just a 3 month headstart. but it doesn't matter if it's exclusive or not because in this type of mmo - why would i choose a 3 month old server vrs. a brand new one to make a dude? a 3 month headstart before f2p launch is weird

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just know they call it a founders server which is loving weird to me

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

i just know they call it a founders server which is loving weird to me

where at? i havent found it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

on this thing

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

oh, its right there in loving giant fluffy letters :v:

... i cant spend 50 dollars on that without them clarifying that this is just poorly worded

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If it really is a founders server without being able to transfet then its more like paying for a beta access you can play indefinitely.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it basically needs to be a server anyone can roll on, but they'll add other servers as necessary to help with the population

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I have to imagine that is how it works, the bad wording is just because they're Korean

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Red Red Blue posted:

I have to imagine that is how it works, the bad wording is just because they're Korean

would you bet 50 on it? much as i enjoy tos, i dont think its a good bet

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Yikes. This seems like a pretty bad decision all around.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
The only thing appealing about that deal is the two hats. You get two hats without having to grind for it or do some stupid mini-quest.

But I don't think those hats are really hard to find so I will pass.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
I'd been watching and waiting for ToS for a while now, and man, that's a huge downer.

A founder-only server for 50$? Isn't it going to die as soon as F2P goes live? And 50$ is pretty expensive for a Ragnarok Online clone...

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Drium posted:

I'd been watching and waiting for ToS for a while now, and man, that's a huge downer.

A founder-only server for 50$? Isn't it going to die as soon as F2P goes live? And 50$ is pretty expensive for a Ragnarok Online clone...

The founder server is definitely a legit concern, but it doesn't actually play much like RO.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
We just need more info from IMC. The post being hidden on their forums is pretty funny

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I just bought Black Desert Online for $30 over the weekend so that's going to eat away my time. Having a blast with it so far. ToS was fun during the beta but not worth money to play another beta for three months. 50 is pretty steep to come back to play. I'll see how things are in May.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

would you bet 50 on it? much as i enjoy tos, i dont think its a good bet

They just posted an update, you can play on whatever server you want

forge
Feb 26, 2006
"The TOS English version on Steam will kick off by offering ‘Founder’s Server: Exclusive Access’ that will initially allow access to the buyers and service will be open to everyone after 3 months."

That reads to me like everyone will be able to play on it after 3 months. So cya on the 22nd..

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011

Hy_C posted:

Did they change the exp rates or anything? Or does it still take 5 days of nonstop grinding to get through prison.

in the korean version you get a 600% exp boost for dungeons if you use the party finder so thats the major place to level, not sure if that will be the same for international
there is some datamining that says only 1 dungeon run per day and no exp boost for us so yea

auzuguwu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 16, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

forge posted:

"The TOS English version on Steam will kick off by offering ‘Founder’s Server: Exclusive Access’ that will initially allow access to the buyers and service will be open to everyone after 3 months."

That reads to me like everyone will be able to play on it after 3 months. So cya on the 22nd..

im waiting for now, seeing as they want to announce more changes. likely ill be there on the 22nd cause of that part of the announcement but i wanna see what else changes they make before i pull the trigger

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yay

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011
[MAR 16th UPDATE - Further Details / Clarification]
- We have plans to add new servers in June in accordance to the player base
- New players may decide which server they wish to play on depending on the server situation.
- There will be no data wipe of Teams or items

[MAR 16th UPDATE - FAQ]
- Servers will be located on the east coast of the US, same as the iCBT servers
- 100 TP is priced at approximately USD$9.00
- EXP gained through hunting will be at the same rate as kTOS
- The price we announced is based on the price that will be applied to the US. Please check the Steam Store Page for your regional prices. They will be adjusted by Steam Standards.

pretty sure this means new players can play on the original founders server

auzuguwu fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 16, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep it does

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
But who WOULD join those servers, 3 months later?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I'd say that you'd play there if your friends bought in early, but the draconian restrictions on player trading makes that worse than it should be.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

$50/3 month head start. Holy poo poo.
I like this game and had fun in beta, but that's tough to swallow.

Maybe I will come crawling in a few months and hopefully it won't be all scorched earth by then.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Sacro posted:

I'd say that you'd play there if your friends bought in early, but the draconian restrictions on player trading makes that worse than it should be.

yeah how does the trading setup work now?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Here have a discord: https://discord.gg/0rKIOWyaeDlPdPyP

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah how does the trading setup work now?

At least in kToS (c/ped from new op):
  • There is a "token" (read: subscription) system in place. Worry not though, you can sell and buy tokens on the AH and at least on the Korean servers they are quite cheap.

• Trading has been restricted; those without a token active cannot trade directly with other players, and even those with tokens can only trade 30 times a month. Silver can no longer be traded.

• Users with tokens active have access to an account warehouse! Well, not really a warehouse... it only has one slot. Transferring an item through this warehouse will use up one of your monthly trades.

New OP in it's entirety here, I'm gonna add some stuff today though: http://pastebin.com/uwwUCAXN

Funkatron5000
Apr 23, 2014
Great, was hoping to throw away fifty of my dollars today too. :pcgaming:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BTW how bad did the respecs end up being on the KR release? Like can you get them pretty often from just playing the game or are they super expensive or pretty much $$$ only?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

BTW how bad did the respecs end up being on the KR release? Like can you get them pretty often from just playing the game or are they super expensive or pretty much $$$ only?

Stat resets are from events only but skill resets can be bought with TP. I forget how much they cost and don't really feel like patching, sorry!!

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
Seems like they're taking a poll to see whether people want 1 week, 1 month or 3 months of early access.

Unfortunately the game price isn't changing in function of that.

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/announcement-regarding-changes-in-plans/145592

Looks like the 1 month option adds a lot of goodies to the package though, like a companion and a stat/skill reset token, as well as 60 days of premium?

Drium fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 17, 2016

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The top tier founder/early access packs are always kinda ridiculous. If they go with the poll results and pick the second option, 10bux is more than reasonable for a cheap tier

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is the founder server gonna work in regard to people from different regions? Since I'll probably end up playing on the Brazilian server, the current system doesn't mean much to me, is it NA only?

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

How is the founder server gonna work in regard to people from different regions? Since I'll probably end up playing on the Brazilian server, the current system doesn't mean much to me, is it NA only?

They're only making an east coast server. So it'll be full of brazilians and russians and french people. And canadians.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

pertinent posted:

They're only making an east coast server. So it'll be full of brazilians and russians and french people. And canadians.

People from the east aren't canadian

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

since pvp is an after thought, who cares who plays on the servers and where they are

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011
please vote for 1 month early access, everyone can play at the same time and i get more stuff for spending $50 dollar bucks
its currently in the lead with 62% to 25% (1 wk) and 12% (3 mo) at 6300 votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

auzuguwu posted:

please vote for 1 month early access, everyone can play at the same time and i get more stuff for spending $50 dollar bucks
its currently in the lead with 62% to 25% (1 wk) and 12% (3 mo) at 6300 votes

i voted for the 3 month option :evilbuddy:

• Locked thread