Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

They never released the numbers, but Dan said the viewership on Yahoo was really high, and Yahoo was super pleased with that aspect of it.

That said, I whitelisted Yahoo Screen on my adblocker and still never saw a single ad. I can totally buy that Yahoo was too incompetent to sell the ads or deliver them.

I on the other hand saw that awful Honda ad with the intern about ten times per break. It was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

This is one of the reasons I can't listen to Harmontown anymore. Also because I just couldn't get through any more dungeons and dragons

They play Shadowrun now. They're comically bad at it, and it's pretty fun.

Although Dan has seemed emotionally down the last couple of shows. :ohdear:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

They play Shadowrun now. They're comically bad at it, and it's pretty fun.

Although Dan has seemed emotionally down the last couple of shows. :ohdear:

Really? I think he's just playing up his incredulity because of Schrab, also Spencer not being there totally changes the dynamic of the show. I can't wait for them to try something else, Shadowrun is too complicated and has lots of dice to roll, they really need a more simple system like pathfinder.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

Really? I think he's just playing up his incredulity because of Schrab, also Spencer not being there totally changes the dynamic of the show. I can't wait for them to try something else, Shadowrun is too complicated and has lots of dice to roll, they really need a more simple system like pathfinder.

I might be an episode behind, but two shows ago was when he got in a tizzy because reddit people kept saying they missed Kumail. I can't easily articulate what felt wrong about the next episode, but it felt like he was trying too hard to push something out -- maybe it's because he didn't have any topics on his phone to get things started.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The latest (or maybe second latest?) episode without Spencer with the hour of improv and the 'Dungeonmastering' they were doing was hilarious. I almost had to pull over I was laughing so hard. That happened.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Agreed

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Rewatching season 6. I had forgotten how good the first 6 episodes were. Honda and Grifting were only OK. Still good TV, but a slight step back.

This will be our first year without Community since 2008. That makes me sad.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
In case people didn't catch it, season 6 is out on DVD. I haven't watched it yet, but I am looking forward to the outtakes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Going by the Amazon reviews, the DVD is pretty lackluster; the episodes don't even have commentaries. :(

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
For what it's worth, Dan Harmon recorded commentaries for each episode of Season 6 that you can (or could at one point) watch on Yahoo Screen.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
But with the DVDs, I don't have to use Yahoo, a win-win in most cases.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I miss Community and I miss Scrubs. :(

Are there any existing decent non studio audience (read: laughtrack) comedic shows anymore of any worth?

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dan Harmon and Dino Stamatopoulos produced Charlie Kaufman's Anomalisa, which was both surprising and unsurprising to me.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Cartouche posted:

Are there any existing decent non studio audience (read: laughtrack) comedic shows anymore of any worth?

I'm enjoying Brooklyn Nine-Nine, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Also check out Rick and Morty if you haven't already.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Everyone should be watching Great Minds with Dan Harmon.

http://www.history.com/shows/night-class/videos

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Dave Angel posted:

I'm enjoying Brooklyn Nine-Nine, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Also check out Rick and Morty if you haven't already.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine just can't win me over for the long-haul. I mean, it's really, really funny and everyone on it is really, really good. I watch it every week but there's nothing that makes me really care about the show, like I cared about, say, Community. As funny as it is, if I read tomorrow it was canceled I wouldn't riot or anything.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cartouche posted:

Try Psych. It was doing the "this episode is a spoof of x show or movie" first and did it well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

Try Psych. It was doing the "this episode is a spoof of x show or movie" first and did it well.

Psych starts off strong, had maybe five good seasons, seriously drops in quality for three, and then the last season is really strong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine just can't win me over for the long-haul. I mean, it's really, really funny and everyone on it is really, really good. I watch it every week but there's nothing that makes me really care about the show, like I cared about, say, Community. As funny as it is, if I read tomorrow it was canceled I wouldn't riot or anything.

I agree with this a lot. Except I think more recently there's quite a few meh jokes per episode as well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I liked Andy samberg way better in season 1 of Cuckoo, but that show turned to poo poo fast when he had to leave.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cartouche posted:

Yes, there's Broad City, which despite a much smaller cast can reach 30 Rock-esque joke speeds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just watch Police Squad! episodes over and over again. Or Sledge Hammer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mameluke posted:

Yes, there's Broad City, which despite a much smaller cast can reach 30 Rock-esque joke speeds.

This sounds cool but is the tone anything like 30 Rock/Kimmy Schmidt?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

This sounds cool but is the tone anything like 30 Rock/Kimmy Schmidt?

In terms of absurdity, yes- there's an episode where one of the characters and her mom go searching for knockoff bags and go combing through this massive black market beneath the streets of New York- but it also has a bit more of a crude, funky vibe.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
It also has Hannibal Buress being Hannibal Buress so watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAl1BznN_Gk

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Psych starts off strong, had maybe five good seasons, seriously drops in quality for three, and then the last season is really strong.

Ooooh - if I feel off of Psych, should I just jump back in starting with the last season and finish it out?

Koalas March posted:

Surprisingly Limitless has decided to go in that direction as well, it wouldn't be too far off to call it a spiritual successor to Psych. Like they did an aliens episode, spy intrigue episode, ferris bueller, etc. There's an slightly serious ongoing narrative but mostly it's pretty similar.

Crindee posted:

It also has Hannibal Buress being Hannibal Buress so watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAl1BznN_Gk

Broad City's real good fuckers watch it. Garfunkel and Oates pretty good too, if we're on the topic.

Last Man On Earth is EXTREMELY uneven, has long stretches of lovely episodes, but it's weird and maybe also worth trying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Broad City's real good fuckers watch it.
Yes.

XboxPants posted:

Garfunkel and Oates pretty good too, if we're on the topic.
Absolutely not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Ooooh - if I feel off of Psych, should I just jump back in starting with the last season and finish it out?

Yeah, maybe the second to last is good too, I can't remember.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

XboxPants posted:

I watched it until the end, but honestly there isn't enough to go back for. If you have nothing else to watch it wouldn't hurt. I think the drop off in quality was probably due to the characters just being very one dimensional and any time they became more than that they would undercut it (or straight up get rid of them).

XboxPants posted:

Surprisingly Limitless has decided to go in that direction as well, it wouldn't be too far off to call it a spiritual successor to Psych. Like they did an aliens episode, spy intrigue episode, ferris bueller, etc. There's an slightly serious ongoing narrative but mostly it's pretty similar.

I've been digging that about limitless, though the dramatic parts are the majority of the episodes so I wouldn't really put it in the same category as Psych. Fun watch if you don't take it too seriously

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ElCondemn posted:

I watched it until the end, but honestly there isn't enough to go back for. If you have nothing else to watch it wouldn't hurt. I think the drop off in quality was probably due to the characters just being very one dimensional and any time they became more than that they would undercut it (or straight up get rid of them).

I've been digging that about limitless, though the dramatic parts are the majority of the episodes so I wouldn't really put it in the same category as Psych. Fun watch if you don't take it too seriously

Yeah. Psych really suffered the same way Community did, they got to a point where they had absolutely no idea what to do with anyone, and didn't do anything interesting with the characters. Once Shawn and Jules get together, the show just stops completely dead in it's tracks and turns Shawn into an idiot, and Gus false starts a bunch of interesting plots that get aborted as soon as they'd cause the show to change. it went on way way too long, and didn't mature.

Sort of the same as Community with Shirley and Brita.

I'll give Limitless a watch, we just finished Leverage (which also does a ton of homage episodes) so we need a new hour long fun action drama thing.

On the topic of Leverage, it's basically a 35 minute setup for Elliot and his sweet sweet mane of hair to beat up some goons each episode, and I love it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Psych is one of my all time favorite shows. Even the bad seasons had phenomenal episodes here and there.

It's most likely because the show is targeted directly at me, 80s kid who gets all the references they make.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Huh. I always blew Psych off as just another boring procedural. I'll have to check it out some time. Thanks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The last "Great Minds" has a good run in it of (I'm pretty sure anyway) Dan Harmon impersonating the Community cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgbuXpgN9Dw

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

The last "Great Minds" has a good run in it of (I'm pretty sure anyway) Dan Harmon impersonating the Community cast.

That is definitely what that is.

My favourite part of "Great Minds" is that the relationship between Dan and Spencer feels like only a very slightly exaggerated version of their real-life working relationship.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

quote:

Joel McHale is in final negotiations to portray Chevy Chase, with whom he starred on NBC’s Community, in Netflix’s tragic story of National Lampoon co-founder Douglas Kenney, A Futile and Stupid Gesture.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joel-mchale-portray-chevy-chase-880980

Heh.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So, I've decided that the Captain America series has been slowly revealing what happened to the study group after the series ended.

Abed got kicked off a few sets for correcting the director or producer or studio until he wound up at the remains of Stark's studio, which was a recruiting org for Shield. He was hired as a Shield technician for the pattern recognition skills granted him by his particular affliction.

The Dean, through a series of comedic blunders that are fixed by Frankie, winds up moving up the administrative ladder, eventually finding his way to a mid-level administration role at MIT.

Really looking forward to meeting Agent Annie Edison and seeing Britta protesting something stupid in Cap 4 and 5.

e: Jeff, of course, won't get a cameo unless they find their way to Greendale, Colorado somehow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jeff and Annie won't work for Shield because they think it's overrated.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CelticPredator posted:

Jeff and Annie won't work for Shield because they think it's overrated.

Nah, Annie's working for the FBI. They're still agents, dammit.

Jeff is just stuck in Colorado.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kayakyakr posted:

Nah, Annie's working for the FBI. They're still agents, dammit.

Jeff is just stuck in Colorado.

Jeff will never get out of Greendale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spacebump posted:

Jeff will never get out of Greendale.

He actually changed his name and became a world famous host of a TV show about government conspiracies and became friends with Fox Mulder

• Locked thread