Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the total area of germany (which apparently increased by 30m2 in 2011??) covered by 300m of water is quite a lot of water which might cause some ecological damage to neighboring countries.

E: It would add an exciting new dimension to the refugee crisis however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I can't believe that I have to point out the obvious, but a 100m wide moat would be completely sufficient. There is no reason to waste trillions on wall construction. It's well known that Germans are heavier than water and do not float, that's how we used to spot stasi spies during the cold war.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's plenty of naturally occurring moats around the true Germany already, though? :confused:

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

My German isn't great, but apparently it has something to do with the move to an electronic mapping system for the cadastre.

Anyway, please don't build a moat around Germany. I like being able to cycle over there and buy drugstore supplies at a third of the price you pay in the Netherlands :(.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
One could argue the Dutch are already the western moat so there's no need to build one there.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

We can just use the Rhine as a moat and work from there.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Because Germany has become more like other European nations you want to start a genocide?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
No one is advicating genocide, just deep structural reforms. 300m deep, to be accurate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Somebody set up us the bomb in Berlin.

We get signal: The Guardian

One man dead, suspected criminal ties, blew up at a pretty much random location.

My immediate guess is that this is more "dispute between rival criminal organizations unlicensed entrepreneurs" than anything else.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Freezer posted:

No one is advicating genocide, just deep structural reforms. 300m deep, to be accurate.

Now there's an idea! Instead of building a wall, we just lower Germany by a few hundred meters. Then let nature run its course.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Considering physical geography, a 2.962km tall wall migh be necessary for our purposes here.

e: because we're not talking about the same thing maybe???

I think you're confusing drowning with death through deep sea water pressure there

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Riso posted:

One could argue the Dutch are already the western moat so there's no need to build one there.

Never liked Niederkassel anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, more antiterrorism operations in Belgium.
http://www.france24.com/en/20160315-live-brussels-french-belgium-police-raid-paris-attacks

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

I think you're confusing drowning with death through deep sea water pressure there

If you're going to put up a wall around Germany, and fill it with water, and you want to submerge all of Germany at least 10 meters deep, the wall will need to extend to an altitude of 10 meters above the highest point in Germany, otherwise you'll get spillage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

YF-23 posted:

If you're going to put up a wall around Germany, and fill it with water, and you want to submerge all of Germany at least 10 meters deep, the wall will need to extend to an altitude of 10 meters above the highest point in Germany, otherwise you'll get spillage.

That depends on 1. The phase of the water and 2. How long you care about Germany being underwater for.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I think we can make a safe assumption that the idea to sumberge Germany like that is not meant to cause damage to neighbouring countries, so spillage would have to be limited to the north sea at a safe distance from Dutch/Danish/Polish coasts, so the wall would have to be about that tall on the land borders at least (unless you gently caress around with variable waterline altitudes depending on what part of the country you're in, which would be rather convoluted).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

YF-23 posted:

I think we can make a safe assumption that the idea to sumberge Germany like that is not meant to cause damage to neighbouring countries,

ha ha ha

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Drowning western Poland is an acceptable loss.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

No! Then you get German U-boats!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no one lives in dernmark or poland anymore so it doesn't really matter does it?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Apparently it's okay for a migration minister in Greece to have refugees live in conditions that some describe as worse than most refugee camps in Africa and have activists in those camp that propagate false information to provoke a confrontation between illegal migrants and officials in Greece and Macedonia, but if he should call Macedonia by its rightful name instead of the revanchist slur most Greeks like to use, there are calls from both the opposition and the government for him to step down, and the leader of the European Left in the last EP elections convenes a meeting of ministers to discuss the issue.

quote:

Defense Minister and Independent Greeks leader Panos Kammenos was expected to hold an emergency meeting of his nationalist party’s parliamentary group on Thursday morning after demanding the resignation of Migration Policy Minister Yiannis Mouzalas late Tuesday.

Kammenos made his demand after Mouzalas referred to Greece’s neighbor, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), simply as “Macedonia” in an interview with Skai TV.

Mouzalas apologized for his “gaffe” but Kammenos said that an apology would not suffice and called on Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to sack him.

Tsipras convened a meeting of ministers on Wednesday morning to discuss the issue.

Kammenos’s call for Mouzalas to be removed came shortly after New Democracy issued a statement suggesting that the minister should step down over his comment. Greece has been in dispute with FYROM over its name since the 1990s.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/207002/article/ekathimerini/news/coalition-partner-kammenos-demands-ministers-resignation

PS: Well, looks like events are faster than my posting, the minister in question has submitted his resignation.

https://twitter.com/EfiEfthimiou/status/710032905989443584

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'd like to see the headline "Greece minister forced to resign after accidentally calling Macedonia 'Macedonia'."

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 16, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

This is the stupidest poo poo ever.

e; Government spokesman denies that a resignation has been submitted.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 16, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, greeks proving evvery day that they deserve to die in a ditch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

steinrokkan posted:

lol, greeks proving evvery day that they deserve to die in a ditch

:stare:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

steinrokkan you are much less chill than i remember you being

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
It's EUCO time again and as usual, the brilliant Peter Spiegel already has the draft of the deal http://blogs.ft.com/brusselsblog/files/2016/03/EuCoMarch2016.pdf

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/710495565348540417
AfD pulling two thirds of the SPD's vote share nationally.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/710495565348540417
AfD pulling two thirds of the SPD's vote share nationally.

Given the results of the two western states last Sunday not really surprising. The only interesting question going forward is going to be whether the AfD is going to abandon their very neo-liberal program going forward and follow the Front National approach with a mostly leftist economic policy. If they don't do it, they will have a hard time going forward, especially in the East.

But it is likely that they will be able to establish themselves long term, given that even if Merkel solved the refugee crisis today/tomorrow (rather unlikely), the effects of the influx will last long enough to stay in the minds of (mostly stupid) voters.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

With how close the centrist parties have become we are observing a reallignment in European politics in general. Traditional differences fade as austerity, immigration, etc. become the more polarising issues on which the traditional government parties are of the same opinion. This should surprise absolutely no-one.

Also, minor post formatting request: if you're quoting a post with a tweet in it, please remove the tweet unless it's the specific thing you want to comment on. When the page loads it doesn't take into account the height of the tweet embed so loading pages with tweets in them ends up with them getting off-centred when the page finishes loading, which isn't so bad if it's one or two tweets but it becomes annoying if there's a bunch.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Can someone explain to me why this chart looks the way it does? Why was the Global Financial Crisis and Euro crisis only a hiccup for Germany while most other European nations seem to have a lot of trouble dealing with it?

https://www.google.de/publicdata/ex...dl=de&ind=false

YF-23 posted:

Also, minor post formatting request: if you're quoting a post with a tweet in it, please remove the tweet unless it's the specific thing you want to comment on. When the page loads it doesn't take into account the height of the tweet embed so loading pages with tweets in them ends up with them getting off-centred when the page finishes loading, which isn't so bad if it's one or two tweets but it becomes annoying if there's a bunch.

I don't have that problem in Chrome.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Germany didn't have a housing bubble.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

How nice for you. It is, however, a problem in Firefox.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Love those EUCO pictures with Merkel being the only person allowed to wear a color that is not dark blue.Yes, I see the woman front left, but shirts don't count

Also: Love the Finns for being a little nerdy

https://twitter.com/AnneSjoholm/status/710459218239823872

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2016

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

GaussianCopula posted:

Can someone explain to me why this chart looks the way it does? Why was the Global Financial Crisis and Euro crisis only a hiccup for Germany while most other European nations seem to have a lot of trouble dealing with it?

goddammit are we going to talk about the Hartz reforms again? is that what you want huh GC?!

http://www.insee.fr/en/indicateurs/analys_conj/archives/march203_d1.pdf

from the study:

"The cost of labour in Germany has been particularly lacking in dynamism since
the second half of the 1990s. Real wages decreased by 0.7% from 1996 to 2007,
compared with an increase of +17.3% in France. In particular, this wage restraint
reflects the fact that real wages did not follow productivity gains. This can be seen
from the econometric modelling described in this paper (see Box 5). The model
shows the long-term adjustment in the level of real wages to productivity, to the
«tax wedge» and to the unemployment level. The apparent indexation of wages to
productivity is very low, around 20%.
In addition, the fall in unemployment that has occurred since 2005 has not
resulted in an acceleration in wages, hence the separation in wages observed in
relation to expected wages on the basis of previous behaviours from 2005 to
2009 (see Graph 17). This split may be linked with the tightening of the
unemployment benefit system put in place by the Hartz IV reform: by reducing
employees’ expectations of the income they would receive if they lost their job, this
hardening managed to push them into staying in their jobs to the detriment of
wage rises."

A third determinant of the structural unemployment rate is the real cost of capital.
At the beginning of the 2000s, the real cost of capital decreased less in Germany
than in the other Euro zone economies, because it was already at a low level.
Conversely, no increase in the real cost of capital has been observed in Germany
since the beginning of the crisis, since rates have remained very low, and credit
has tightened less than elsewhere in Europe. In addition, corporation tax has
been reduced significantly in recent years (in 2008, corporation tax rates
dropped from 39% to 30%). The evolution in the real cost of capital has therefore
been able to contribute favourably to Germany’s recent performance in terms of
its unemployment rate. In particular, it has made the drop in the margin rate
recorded since 2009 more acceptable for companies, whereas conversely, in
Spain, the margin rate and the real cost of capital have grown hand in hand.

We have seen above that the partial indexing of wages to productivity gains since
the second half of the 1990s appears to have been a determining factor in
reducing the structural unemployment rate in Germany. Symmetrically, if the
stagnation in productivity observed since 2008 were to persist, in parallel with
growth in real wages, the structural unemployment rate would rise once more.
However, this is a fairly unlikely scenario: as seen at the end of part three, the
slowdown in productivity is probably the result of transient factors."

tl,dr: Are you a german worker? welp, you're underpaid.

And then check wage growth vs GDP growth.

ps. for poo poo and giggles click the Spain graph on that chart.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 17, 2016

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Xoidanor posted:

Germany didn't have a housing bubble.

Only because the bubble is still bubbling.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

You may be interested in this study of the German labour market response (.pdf). In short, firms had a lot of internal flexibility: employees took saved-up working-time reductions, took shorter working hours, and firms kept people aboard (hoarded their labour) by accepting lower productivity. Additionally, and somewhat luckily for Germany, the firms hardest hit by the crisis were the ones that previously were struggling to fill vacancies. As a result, they did not need to lay off workers; they just lost the need to hire more. Additionally, it seems that while Germany kept creating new jobs, more of these were in the service sector and fall under the category of 'atypical employment', i.e. agency/ part-time work with poorer wages and working conditions (another study (.pdf) which makes this point). And while the effect of strong employment protections against layoffs is disputed, it can't have hurt (in Spain for instance the initial explosion in the unemployment rate affected almost entirely people with temporary contracts, and not those with protected ones).

There was also an important role for the government in compensating employees with as much as 67% of the foregone net wages due to shorter working hours through the Kurzarbeit scheme, which saved ~400,000 jobs. The Netherlands had a similar scheme which lasted until mid-2011, and also helped keep unemployment down in that period.

So the German labour market worked better than elsewhere. Unfortunately, the German model is not so easy to replicate, since labour market institutions tend to be based on historic developments, on the kinds of industries a country has, on the education level of the available workers, etc. usw.

(all this in addition to what Chainsaw Charlie said)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

You may be interested in this study of the German labour market response (.pdf). In short, firms had a lot of internal flexibility: employees took saved-up working-time reductions, took shorter working hours, and firms kept people aboard (hoarded their labour) by accepting lower productivity. Additionally, and somewhat luckily for Germany, the firms hardest hit by the crisis were the ones that previously were struggling to fill vacancies. As a result, they did not need to lay off workers; they just lost the need to hire more. Additionally, it seems that while Germany kept creating new jobs, more of these were in the service sector and fall under the category of 'atypical employment', i.e. agency/ part-time work with poorer wages and working conditions (another study (.pdf) which makes this point). And while the effect of strong employment protections against layoffs is disputed, it can't have hurt (in Spain for instance the initial explosion in the unemployment rate affected almost entirely people with temporary contracts, and not those with protected ones).

There was also an important role for the government in compensating employees with as much as 67% of the foregone net wages due to shorter working hours through the Kurzarbeit scheme, which saved ~400,000 jobs. The Netherlands had a similar scheme which lasted until mid-2011, and also helped keep unemployment down in that period.

So the German labour market worked better than elsewhere. Unfortunately, the German model is not so easy to replicate, since labour market institutions tend to be based on historic developments, on the kinds of industries a country has, on the education level of the available workers, etc. usw.

(all this in addition to what Chainsaw Charlie said)

So basically German is proof positive that automatic stabilizers work and fiscal stimuli are not needed?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

The Kurzarbeit scheme was a fiscal stimulus (costing ~$16 billion in 2009 according to the link - while it may have existed before, the scale of support was larger than anything previous). EU leaders also decided on a fiscal stimulus plan late in 2008 to the tune of 1.5% of GDP. This worked, at least until the debt panic broke out. The subsequent austerity policies in the periphery essentially amounted to an elimination of automatic stabilizers.

So no, Germany isn't proof of anything like that. But the articles I posted don't discuss automatic stabilizers anyway, they discuss labour market institutions.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

YF-23 posted:

We can just use the Rhine as a moat and work from there.

The Rhine is the rightful natural frontier of the French Republic

GaussianCopula posted:

Germany has an old and shrinking workforce, so unemployment is lower. See also Japan, which has extremely low unemployment

GaussianCopula posted:

So basically German is proof positive that automatic stabilizers work and fiscal stimuli are not needed?

It's proof that the investment-intensive export-manufacturing model dies quietly with a whimper rather than explosively like say France or southern Europe

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2016