Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This guy has everything figured out

So what if your $700 chariot controls like poo poo? It's working as intended, what did you expect from something so low-level?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
oh hey here's a vid for those who get a... "nerd boner" i think is the accepted nomenclature for this beauty of a ship in E:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFT-8QnyGLE

can't wait to finally log back on E:D this weekend :pgabz:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ravane posted:

Buy a google cardboard for :5bux:

Download KinoVR on your phone and computer.

Play a game and start KinoVR on your computer, which streams your screen onto your phone with head tracking.

Makeshit Oculus Rift for 5 dollars. :3:

Google Cardboard is to VR what Star Citizen is to space sims.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I've played around with UE4 and it's basically idiot-proof if you even just understand logical flowcharts and stuff. Honestly in my opinion you can get by in UE4 for basic stuff with math knowledge alone (vector/position type stuff). Plus there's a plethora of youtube videos out there including a video to go from blank project to full STEAM multiplayer integration with a menu and scoreboard and whatnot in 2 hours.

Thanks to companies generously providing these engines for free, programming/coding is going to really be a everyday skill for a lot more people. It's a hell of a lot more fun to learn coding using a game engine than it is to make some sort of linux terminal program.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 16, 2016

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Ravane posted:

What's the difference between C++ and C#? I only need Python for using an electron microscope or really any other equipment.

I need to get around to learning Python, I currently use C, C++, MATLAB, and Java(hate java), but there are some OpenCV stuff that I would like to use that is done in python.

1500 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 16, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

See, it's already in there, they just need to flip the switch.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

orcinus posted:

Depends on which one and how you buy it.
Sure, you can get the white gold or red gold ref for around $20k.

But a plain, black dial, SS one you can get for $6-$8k.

In any case, it's an order of magnitude away from the watch he was wearing 2 years ago.
(Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but is funny nonetheless.)

The backers won't know :smug:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

1500 posted:

I need to get around to learning Python, I currently use C, C++, MATLAB, and Java(hate java), but there are some OpenCV stuff that I would like to use that is done in python.

The Python bindings for OpenCV are hilariously broken, don't bother. Do it in C.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

...we should have made a fake twitter account for Goonius D. Goon ...

Goondar the Paarparian

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

TTerrible posted:

The Python bindings for OpenCV are hilariously broken, don't bother. Do it in C.

Thanks, I will look more into that, saves me from learning a language or just creating it myself.

1500 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 16, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

orcinus posted:

Google Cardboard is to VR what Star Citizen is to space sims.

At least it works and is great for phone VR (of which there is not much). But it does it's job and doesn't require the user to pay more than 5 bucks. The same can't be said for star citizen. :(

1500 posted:

I hear ya, Java sucks. Python is incredible, the language is hella easy to understand but has enough complexity to it and enough libraries that it's incredibly useful. I prefer doing statistical analysis in it over Matlab and R simply because of the simple interface. On the other hand, it's processing speed can be really slow for anything science-y that takes a while (iteration, etc).

Alternatively, there's Julia which I've started learning that has C++ level of processing speed and is great for statistical analysis. Though the libraries are low, so you'd need to be able to create your own libraries sometimes.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

FrankieGoes posted:

I've been thinking about getting into iRacing when I get VR, but now that you've said that it's a bigger piece of poo poo than WoW, I guess I won't.

Racing Room Experience has pro drivers in it as well. It is also pricey just like iracing. It is the best sim in my opinion but I dont have iracing so I cant compare. I do have everything else though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

1500 posted:

Thanks, I will look more into that, saves me from learning a language or just creating it myself.

Cameras will randomly fail to init sometimes needing a reboot, and you need to include the defs for the oecv1 and ocv2 libraries because the version 2 stuff isn't complete yet. :magical:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Coding talk: I personally found C# to be easy to learn. From there C++ isn't that hard to get into.
If you want to learn about c++ => go here: http://www.learncpp.com/ I think that is the best "easy" intro into C++. It also covers the dangerous pitfalls of c++. Since it's always a bad thing to asume that your code is perfect.
AND make sure to read up on UNIT testing. That's something CIG is not doing (and probably most other gaming studiios).

And there are some good games on Unity (Shadowrun, Kerbal Space Programm, Verdun etc: https://unity3d.com/showcase/gallery/games). In the past there have been a lot of complaints from studios that Unity had troubles with "bigger" projects. I don't know if that is still the case.
That's something which won't bother you, if you're using UE4.
But I guess both are quite okay for small indie/art projects.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

intardnation posted:

Racing Room Experience has pro drivers in it as well. It is also pricey just like iracing. It is the best sim in my opinion but I dont have iracing so I cant compare. I do have everything else though.

RRE is good in VR as well ha ha

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Terrifying.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

That is 100% true.
You couldn't see any of the poo poo CIG does with a normal development.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Wafflz posted:

I wish I could remember who made that thumb head shop originally so I could give them credit. It is amazing though.

It wasn't me but here is the larger version.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Goobs posted:

At least 42.

3 chapter toes with 5 episode toes each.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

stinch posted:

It wasn't me but here is the larger version.

so good

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Coding talk: I personally found C# to be easy to learn. From there C++ isn't that hard to get into.
If you want to learn about c++ => go here: http://www.learncpp.com/ I think that is the best "easy" intro into C++. It also covers the dangerous pitfalls of c++. Since it's always a bad thing to asume that your code is perfect.
AND make sure to read up on UNIT testing. That's something CIG is not doing (and probably most other gaming studiios).

And there are some good games on Unity (Shadowrun, Kerbal Space Programm, Verdun etc: https://unity3d.com/showcase/gallery/games). In the past there have been a lot of complaints from studios that Unity had troubles with "bigger" projects. I don't know if that is still the case.
That's something which won't bother you, if you're using UE4.
But I guess both are quite okay for small indie/art projects.

nice, thanks.

i think if i were to chose between unity and unreal i guess i'd go with unreal, i've always loved their visuals, they've always had that super slick and sharp look and i like how games feel on unreal.

but that's assuming i even get anywhere learning this shite, i have the attention span of a child sometimes... though i really would like to learn it properly. (as properly as you can via the internet rather than "proper" education)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

oh hey here's a vid for those who get a... "nerd boner" i think is the accepted nomenclature for this beauty of a ship in E:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFT-8QnyGLE

can't wait to finally log back on E:D this weekend :pgabz:

It looks like a Flash Gordon toy.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

Last one

Hmmmmm

LOL!! I died. Seriously, these morons are a special kind of touched.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ravane posted:

At least it works and is great for phone VR (of which there is not much). But it does it's job and doesn't require the user to pay more than 5 bucks. The same can't be said for star citizen. :(

Meant in the sense it's just a very very limited parpy tech demo of the real thing.
But yes, it works at least.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Another mind bending youtube argument....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sundowner posted:

nice, thanks.

i think if i were to chose between unity and unreal i guess i'd go with unreal, i've always loved their visuals, they've always had that super slick and sharp look and i like how games feel on unreal.

but that's assuming i even get anywhere learning this shite, i have the attention span of a child sometimes... though i really would like to learn it properly. (as properly as you can via the internet rather than "proper" education)

Epic have put up a huge number of tutorials on the UE youtube channel. It covers a ton of stuff.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Don't shave your pubes:
http://digg.com/video/should-you-shave-your-pubic-hair?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=facebook

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wait, digg still exists?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Another mind bending youtube argument....

Jesus christ, this logic is making my hindbrain curl up.

A: "It's a broken mess."
B: "Of course, it's alpha."
A: "It can't be an alpha for 3 years, and it's worse than an alpha."
B: "Yes, but it's not really an alpha, they're hiding the real thing, which is content."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wafflz posted:

If you reverse reverse troll are you back to regular trolling again or is it something different?

No, it's different. It becomes the reverse-reverse time dilation loop troll; where you're the only one who doesn't know you've been reverse trolled because you're still stuck in the original troll loop with a "wtf?!?" look on your face. It's harrowing.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Sundowner posted:

nice, thanks.

There are some drat good video tutorials for UE. And the stuff from Epic (Developer of UE) is quite good. It's certainly accesible. And as someone else already mentioned. There is no need to learn about coding from the get go. It doesn't hurt to know what variables are. So you're not going to embarass yourself when you post/talk about 64 bit precision.
And most Game Editors are somewhat similar.

There might even be some Goon help somewhere in deep parts of the Caverns of COBOL http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, digg still exists?

Yes, and is actually quite nice as an aggregator of news.
Completely devoid of drama, upvotes, downvotes and other poo poo.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Squadron 42: a movie video game so immersive a single screenshot or gameplay clip would spoil the entire thing for all people everywhere immediately.

Yeah, that's totally the reason they've not shown anything beyond the Morrow Tour that they've never managed to un-jank enough to post a proper version. It couldn't be that they've got nothing to show, or that what they have to show is so terrible that it would ruin the narrative they've coaxed their faithful to proselytize with.

Nope. It's all about the superfantastic script from the braintrust behind Wing Commander: The Movie.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

That's a sweet acoustic!
I am in the process of buying one myself, I went trying some yesterday.

Pic of new guitar though:

I love it!

Late to the thread but I grabbed this yesterday:

Now to do two things:

Sell the Mustang III
Find a decent 4x12

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

D_Smart posted:

No, it's different. It becomes the reverse-reverse time dilation loop troll; where you're the only one who doesn't know you've been reverse trolled because you're still stuck in the original troll loop with a "wtf?!?" look on your face. It's harrowing.

Not sure if this was a description of me or you at the end of leonard-gate.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

orcinus posted:

Jesus christ, this logic is making my hindbrain curl up.

A: "It's a broken mess."
B: "Of course, it's alpha."
A: "It can't be an alpha for 3 years, and it's worse than an alpha."
B: "Yes, but it's not really an alpha, they're hiding the real thing, which is content."

Yeah, the magic build that only exists on CIG internal servers that have all the basic game mechanics, economy, etc. implemented. They just need to flip a switch.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcinus posted:

Depends on which one and how you buy it.
Sure, you can get the white gold or red gold ref for around $20k.

But a plain, black dial, SS one you can get for $6-$8k.

In any case, it's an order of magnitude away from the watch he was wearing 2 years ago.
(Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but is funny nonetheless.)

Agreed. I didn't get to see the image/video of him wearing it. So I didn't have an idea of which one he is allegedly wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Do you guys think Scientology might expand into video games?

Personally I'm hoping for an all encompassing RPG based on the many intergalactic past lives of L Ron Hubbard. Preferably one that I'll be playing for the next 20 years. But I'll probably give to whatever Kickstarter they come up with.

• Locked thread