Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pladdicus posted:

What was your build against this boss(/in general)? Like stat/weapon/armor wise?

A lot of Dex, light armor, and a +4 Taichi. My damage output was pretty respectable and I very rarely died from damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just wanna say that Pitchwoods loving sucks, that is all.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Wait, aren't Ska Studios the people who made Survival Crisis Z? I'm tempted to buy this game just for all the entertainment that game gave me. The style isn't my thing but they've made at least one really fun game I liked.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Thievery posted:

I seem to find loads of heavy armour but not much light stuff, best so far is rank 1 assassin gear.

I finally found rank 4 light armor between the Dome and Ziggurat but the game seems to have a boner for heavy armor.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nickoten posted:

Wait, aren't Ska Studios the people who made Survival Crisis Z? I'm tempted to buy this game just for all the entertainment that game gave me. The style isn't my thing but they've made at least one really fun game I liked.

They are, a million years ago? It's why I'm a fan of them too :D

acumen posted:

I think I died there more frequently than any other location.

King of Solomon posted:

A lot of Dex, light armor, and a +4 Taichi. My damage output was pretty respectable and I very rarely died from damage.

I went str/two handed sword/shield but I think the only difference between these builds, functionally, might be balance(the stat), which I'm not entirely sure what it does. I think Tree of Man will be throwing you around a lot regardless

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

He's extremely tedious and has a nasty tendency to kick you into a bottomless pit.

Uh that pit pretty clearly has a bottom. I know this because I died from hitting it several times.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lakbay posted:

but the game seems to have a boner for heavy armor.

Maybe the creators were annoyed by how heavy armor was always useless in Souls games and overcompensated for their game.

I mean heck, (ring spoiler) there's a ring that just ups your roll speed, nullifying a good part of the penalty of wearing too much heavy armor.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Flytrap posted:

Maybe the creators were annoyed by how heavy armor was always useless in Souls games and overcompensated for their game.

I mean heck, (ring spoiler) there's a ring that just ups your roll speed, nullifying a good part of the penalty of wearing too much heavy armor.

Granted, I've found heavy sets so heavy that my character can't move

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Flytrap posted:

Heavy armor was extremely good in Dark Souls and Demon Souls. Not flinching due to high poise was a viable way to beat every boss.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any strategies for the first boss aside from "git gud"?

Since it's all 2D - I can't be a rolling maniac since I just roll into him. :( And he hits so hard!

Just grind up a bit?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Been wondering about the candelabra outside boss rooms, maybe the number of candles lit is estimated difficulty? I've never seen more than 2 lit in my game but I'm seeing more in videos of the same bosses.

E: Like 5 for the smile queen

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vintersorg posted:

Since it's all 2D - I can't be a rolling maniac since I just roll into him. :( And he hits so hard!

Just grind up a bit?

You need to be close to roll through him, and being lighter will get you better rolls. You can roll through the lightning shockwaves too, good for the 2nd half of the fight because he'll jump over you. Grenades do tons of damage to him. Like you could probably kill him with 6.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Vintersorg posted:

Just grind up a bit?

If you have grenades they do like 1/8 of his health bar if it hits. Other than that I had success keeping my distance so he'd do his electric attack and then jump in and hit him a few times before rolling/jumping away. In his 3rd phase he can jump from 1 side of the arena to the other and hit you with his bullshit hitbox sword so you have to try and roll under him and then immediately roll back through him so he doesn't hit you with his annoying backswing after landing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Heavy armor was extremely good in Dark Souls and Demon Souls. Not flinching due to high poise was a viable way to beat every boss.

Poise did not exist in Demon's Souls.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

I take this back. The Witch of the Lake is worse.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What do I do after the first boss and hitting the "I think it helps to go back to the start" guy by the obelisk? I doubled back to the shore and can't seem to find anything new

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

goferchan posted:

What do I do after the first boss and hitting the "I think it helps to go back to the start" guy by the obelisk? I doubled back to the shore and can't seem to find anything new

Head back through the door you got the key for from the boss and check out other paths along that way. One will lead back to the shore and to a new area as well.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I've played every class up through the first boss and it's still tough to say what style I dig most, so I think I'm just start with a basic sword and board build.

Is a total tank two hand greatsword manly man build viable in this game? Roll distance seems pretty important so I'm hesitant to gear towards that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Satorr posted:

I've played every class up through the first boss and it's still tough to say what style I dig most, so I think I'm just start with a basic sword and board build.

Is a total tank two hand greatsword manly man build viable in this game? Roll distance seems pretty important so I'm hesitant to gear towards that.

From what I understand (can't personally confirm) defense is actually effective so heavy armor will let you tank quite a bit. I have used a greatsword for a bit and I can say they are quite good. Absurdly so for taking out smaller enemies, a bit tougher versus bosses since they take a while to stun, but still nice cause of the high damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is it just me or does this game give you way more gold than you can productively spend?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The homeware bone equivalent only letting you travel to sanctuaries with a guide is a little weird since you can just immediately use that guide to go to any other visited sanctuary. It really aught to limit itemless warping be limited to talking to guides at sanctuaries, but let item warps go to any visited sanctuary. The present limit only adds a few seconds of hassle.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it just me or does this game give you way more gold than you can productively spend?

Yeah certainly, which is nice because I lost almost all of mine repeatedly dying to the mad alchemist for dumb reasons but it was no big deal.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 17, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

lets hang out posted:

Been wondering about the candelabra outside boss rooms, maybe the number of candles lit is estimated difficulty? I've never seen more than 2 lit in my game but I'm seeing more in videos of the same bosses.

E: Like 5 for the smile queen

I believe those are for the number of people who have recently died to that boss. A lit candle is either a successful attempt or a failed attempt and I don't know which.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Seems that way to me, at least that mysterious cleric is making bank off my rear end every time I get murdered.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I like how this game has bloodborne style parrying with a gun that actually does damage.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

I believe those are for the number of people who have recently died to that boss. A lit candle is either a successful attempt or a failed attempt and I don't know which.

Witch of the Lake has zero candles lit. I've gone from 70,000 gold to 0 dying to her :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Man I am not good at this game, the Queen of Smiles is pounding my face in.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

You can spend gold on dust, but it swiftly becomes irrelevant.

For the witch, staying close to her at all times helps a ton, everything she can do can be evaded by a dodge roll to her opposite side, or by airdashing at the right moment.

Holy gently caress the final boss on new game+ is -insane-

Queen of Smiles
a shield helps a lot? the sword attack where she summons them around her is the best time to pour on damage, just play safe until she does that

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Where do I go after completing the Red Hall of Cages? I went into Hager's Cavern but the difficulty seemed to spike dramatically there so I figured maybe I'm underleveled/underequipped and should come back later.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can use the shitloads of money this game gives you to buy a whole lot of buffing items and stuff. they're really good

upgrade mats too

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Solomonic posted:

Where do I go after completing the Red Hall of Cages? I went into Hager's Cavern but the difficulty seemed to spike dramatically there so I figured maybe I'm underleveled/underequipped and should come back later.

I think that's the next place in the default progression. You could also go to the Dome of the Forgotten which is where I went. Just go to the surface and keep heading right.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its driving me crazy that i can't remember where the first red wall i saw was

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ShoddyRaggedAntarcticfurseal.webm

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

^^^ looks about right

SALT

Tried a mage, managed to kill myself with elemental inbalance and gave a sack all my on hand salt?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Notorious QIG posted:

Man I am not good at this game, the Queen of Smiles is pounding my face in.

My damage more than doubled against her by using whatever item gives temporary Holy buff to your weapon. Also you can use a shield to tank her hits and it barely eats any stamina, her range is pretty good and it makes dodging tricky but with a shield its a joke. Hit her when she shoots swords everywhere but don't get too comfortable with that pattern because once her health gets low she'll occasionally follow it up with a spinning attack that does tons of damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

goferchan posted:

My damage more than doubled against her by using whatever item gives temporary Holy buff to your weapon. Also you can use a shield to tank her hits and it barely eats any stamina, her range is pretty good and it makes dodging tricky but with a shield its a joke. Hit her when she shoots swords everywhere but don't get too comfortable with that pattern because once her health gets low she'll occasionally follow it up with a spinning attack that does tons of damage.

Yeah, it seems like damage type is really important here. With the proper buff you will typically do twice or even more your usual damage. And stacking defense let's you pretty effectively tank that type of damage, too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

worked out my frustration at the pitchwoods by kicking the assholes at the top of the tower out of their sanctuary :black101:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's (late game boss)The Coveted weak to? My class 3 poleaxe and reaper do 0.5% of the healthbar per hit.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Jesus loving christ these flaming skulls.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

everything about the nameless god including the forced damage run to him is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Lakbay posted:

What's (late game boss)The Coveted weak to? My class 3 poleaxe and reaper do 0.5% of the healthbar per hit.

Strong against slash and weak against arcane/strike (blunt).

• Locked thread