Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
John Olerud is sick and tired of all your bullshit

Edit here is a link to the latest update for any lurkers who skip right to the last page.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

McDowell: A Super-League Musical

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, a bizarrely high number of you people are interested in D&D. Someone should make a sheet to figure out when people are available. Someone who isn't me. Also, to list whether they'd prefer 2nd Edition or 3.5 Edition.

I made a Google survey thing! Everybody that's interested in D&D put your information in!

The responses should automatically be entered into my spreadsheet, so you can easily gather all the information.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Pander posted:

Armitage: burn your incontinent pie traynor to the ground and don't roster him.

I'm in the sub-par so you don't have to worry about your Pie going bad.

I don't plan on rostering him unless someone wants him, or anyone that I put in the 'to be traded' that I don't trade anyway.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'll hop on IRC in case anyone who wants to play D&D isn't entirely sure how to play or what they'd want to play, and provide what information I can as one of the resident elfgames experts. My baseball teams may suck, but when it comes to putting pen to paper and then rolling dice over it, I'm pretty good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
2nd Edition for me, because 3.5 is not a whole number.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Okay, as far as the D&D thing goes, I'm thinking of breaking it into two groups, because 11 or 12 people is too much for one campaign, especially since my preference is to do it over IRC rather than Skype or anything, just because I think that's easier for me.

My thoughts are one group on Wednesday or Thursday night, and one on Saturday afternoon or night. My preference is to do it way late at night, but I'm guessing that most of you, since the majority are at least an hour ahead of me, that's probably not workable.

It looks like the preference is for 3.5, which is fine.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
My preference would be for the Saturday session because I work during the week.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm good for the weekday session, I do freelance (not as fun or glamorous as it sounds), so I can stay up late whenever.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I'd be good for either but i guess my preference is the weekday one if i have to pick

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mid-week is my preference.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Okay, someone keep track of this stuff in a spreadsheet.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Saturday afternoon would be the best for me if it works out simply because it clashes the least with European timezone's depending on what night means for you. For those not familiar with 3.5 rules the http://www.d20srd.org/ has all the basic rules and https://dndtools.net is a database with pretty much everything published for 3.5 depending on far we want to open the gates (e.g. sources allowed) since the amount of things published leads to some pretty suspect combinations.

And I'm sure McD will keep his sheet updated once he wakes up/is free from work.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I've expanded the results table on my spreadsheet to now also have the preferred session - I guess we've already got most of the responses in, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Personally, I would probably prefer the weekday session, but I could probably also make room on Saturday night (I've joined a darts league that has its matches on Saturdays, but I don't think it will go into the night) and it would probably be better to keep CVE and me together, since we're the time zone assholes that need some extra work to deal with.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'd prefer to do the weekday thing. I could probably make weekends work if it helps with balancing, but it'd be difficult.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

FairGame posted:

I'd prefer to do the weekday thing. I could probably make weekends work if it helps with balancing, but it'd be difficult.

Ditto

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'm just gonna watch and laugh I think

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick 'em: The Worst Playoffs

Killer Mikes in 6, 5-2
Generics in 5, 5-3

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Hey guys! It's the Upstate Highlanders! After years of toil, tadashi was finally able to make it back to the Super-League on his second attempt with this team. How did he do it? Well, it was kind of by default. None of the other four teams in the Monster's Ball division were able to consistently make anything happen. The Commie Llamas were the closest, but they just couldn't get all the facets of their team working at the same time. And so, despite allowing more runs than they scored, the Highlanders were happy to fill the vacuum of power. But looking at their performance, and their 9-13 record in head-to-head play, you have to consider the Highlanders the underdogs in this matchup.

kw0134 and his Rochester Generics have made a career out of being as generic as possible. 80-win seasons have been the norm, with few superstar players, and generally all-around competence. In short, nothing that would ever lead to glory in the Super-League. And so, kw0134 decided it was finally time to change things up. He pulled the GENERICDOME's fences way in, leading to pumped-up power numbers for his side's big hitters, while Walter Johnson and Candy Cummings tried to keep the opponents' balls on the ground. And yet, none of those players would be called the team MVP. That honor would go to the world's oldest Honus Wagner, whose benching led to a 23-36 record in July and August - and his reinstatement, the improbable 20-9 surge in September that led the Generics to the Feast or Fired title. One thing's for sure - Wagner will have a key part to play in this series.

Game 1: Highlanders @ Generics

Frank Gaiman posted:

HIGHLANDERS CAN’T OVERCOME SLOPPY PLAY, DROP GAME ONE

Rochester - The Generics and Highlanders are both playoff teams, and that’s about where the similarities end.

The Generics had a superb pythagorean record, were cruising to a title, and then stopped playing Magical Baseball Totem Grandpa Honus Wagner. Immediately, the team went into a tailspin the likes of which haven’t been seen outside of the shambling corpses of teams left drained by the Super Lottery. First their lead diminished, then they fell out of first, then they fell below .500. For a team with such promise, an early Gauntlet exit looked rather likely.

But then: a miracle! Wagner was re-inserted back into the lineup, and with no time to spare, the Generics ripped off a double-digit win streak and managed to soar past a Dinos and Oranges club. They’d snatched victory from the jaws of defeat from the jaws of victory. It was one of those double-jawed things from Alien.

Meanwhile, the Highlanders literally (figuratively) fired all their players for being bad early on, and then the fired players responded to this figurative dismissal by...still playing kinda badly but winning some games in the process. Seriously, the Highlanders’ pythag is hilariously bad relative to how the team did, but the wins count, and somehow this team with Travis Fryman playing third base is ascending to the Super League. Good for them.

Regardless, this meant the Highlanders were a significant underdog against the Generics. The Highlander contact-based offense would have to have some fortuitous hit sequencing to produce the runs needed to beat the Generics, and with the power in the middle of the Rochester lineup, the Highlander defense would need to avoid mistakes.

Today, neither happened. Despite outhitting the Generics 13-9, they lost the game 7-4. The Highlanders couldn’t turn double plays when it counted--making four errors on the day--and couldn’t get a big hit with runners in scoring position either. Meanwhile, the Generics pounded out four separate homers--one by Mize, one by Snider, and two by Ott.

Despite the imbalance, the game was actually pretty competitive through the sixth inning, when the Highlanders rallied from a 4-2 deficit to tie the game at 4. But with the bases loaded and only one out, Pee Wee Reese popped weakly to the first baseman. And Tadashi inexplicably left Dizzy Dean in to bat for himself with the bases loaded, and Dean dribbled back to the pitcher.

Having already failed his manager with the bat, Dean failed on the mound in the bottom of the sixth. In fairness, he was victimized by yet another error--this time by Eddie Mathews on a throwing error to lead off the inning, putting Yogi Berra at second. Berra would later score on a single to put the Generics ahead 5-4, a lead they wouldn’t relinquish. A visibly tired Dean would go on to give up back-to-back shots to Mize and Ott to make it 7-4.

Still, the Highlanders tried to rally, putting runners at the corners and bringing Reese up as the tying run with a chance to redeem himself. But Pee Wee instead grounded into an inning-ending double play.

Ron Perranoski closed things out for the Generics to seal the win.

Tadashi was somehow optimistic, though. “Look, this was a road game. We only have to win one of them the entire series for us to win. If we can make four errors today and still have a chance to win the game, that bodes well for us.”

Reporters asked why he didn’t replace Dean in the sixth inning, a situation that screamed USE A PINCH HITTER. “Well, y’know,” said Tadashi. “I have great confidence that I’ll need Dizzy Dean later in this series. Possibly to stave off elimination. And I don’t want to do anything that’d cause Dizzy to think I don’t have confidence in him. I’m sure my giving him a chance early on in this series will pay dividends later on. This is in no way foreshadowing.”

kw0134 paced nervously in the press room. “OK good, I’m glad we won,” he said, gnawing at his last fingernail. “But I know what this team is capable of. Great things. Terrible things. Today was the former. But I know the latter is lurking. Waiting. And I don’t know how to stop it.”

A brave reporter tried to reassure the Generics owner. “But you’ve got Wagner starting for you again. Do you doubt his winning magic?”

kw0134 plucked a hair from his head. “Doubt his magic? No! Of course not! Doubt? Magic? No. That’d be crazy. And I’m not crazy. This team...full confidence. Definitely not giving in to superstition.” He bit at his lip, peeling a thin layer of skin off, gnawing on it.

“No, I’m sure everything will be fine. I’ll just...I’ll just continue my various traditions in order to preserve the magic of Wagner until the playoffs end. That’s all I have to do. Just wait it out. I have a Baby Wagner coming my way after the season. He’ll be fine. Just gotta preserve whatever magic’s left in Grandpa.”

He took a pin out and pricked his finger, and began scrawling strange sigils in a lineup card labeled “Blood magic and phylacteries: using the blood of your younger self to power your elder self.”

“No….no. I’m sure it’ll be just fine. Definitely. Of course.”

GAME NOTES

- Did you know: It’s popular knowledge that Dizzy Dean earned his nickname from his unusual windup and delivery resembling a whirling dervish. But in reality, Dean suffered from what modern historians believe was a Cerebro-Spinal Fluid leak stemming from being kicked in head by a mule in his youth. It left him with the occasional bout of vertigo.

- Travis Fryman ruled, shut up FairGame.

Box Score

Game 2: Highlanders @ Generics (RCH Leads 1-0)

Frank Gaiman posted:

OTT AND MIZE POWER GENERICS TO 2-0 LEAD WHILE KW0134 CONDUCTS BLOOD MAGIC

Rochester - Today’s game was going to be fast. With Candy Cummings, who strikes nobody out, facing off against Pete Alexander, who strikes basically nobody out, there was going to be a lot of contact. A lot of fielding.

That didn’t leave kw0134 with much time. He’d acquired a young Honus Wagner from the Base Cloggers earlier in the day and needed to prepare the ritual to use the new Wagner’s lifeforce to innervate the Grandpa Wagner currently playing shortstop for his team in the middle of the postseason.

True, Super League rules prevent using a player acquired during the “Everybody Panic; It’s Gauntlet Time” trading window in the playoffs. But, kw0134 figured, the rule technically applies only to using acquired players in a game. Using the various humours of acquired players to power players already on the roster was technically legal, if somewhat immoral.

But the legality of his machinations aside, he just simply had to hurry. He wasn’t paying much attention to the goings-on in the game as he prepared the ritual.

“Hear me, oh Based Ba’al,” he intoned. “I pay thee tribute in the form of blood.”

The Generics owner placed a bat on the ground, barrel side down, and stuck his nose on it. “By the power of dizzy bat, I summon thee.” Keeping his nose to the handle of the bat, he completed a full circuit. “Based Ba’al, answer your servant who wishes you to feed on the hopes and dreams of young talent, as you have countless times before.”

He did a second circuit around the bat and recited the magic words.

Arm of Dravecky,
Elbow of Prior
Come forth, Based Ba’al,
In a storm of fire.

Eye of Conigliaro,
Head of Fosse,
I summon thee, Based Ba’al,
But I am not bossy.

Testes of Beltre,
Shinbone of Dye
Rise from slumber, Based Ba’al
Your dark trade you must ply.

Neck of Bergen,
Brain of Joss,
You are needed, Based Ba’al
Make others feel loss.

Constitution of Taveras,
Navigation of Lidle,
Awaken, Based Ba’al
Be active, not idle.

A low rumbling was heard in the bowels of the stadium, though it was masked by the Mel Ott homer that put the Generics up 8-5. The ritual had only just begun, yet the game was already half over.

The horrifying visage of Based Ba’al elder god of the sport, appeared before kw0134. “Who dares summon me to this pit of despair, this contemptible mountain of sadness known in the human tongue as “Rochester?”

Yet dizzy, kw0134 stumbled and threw himself prostrate. “It is I, Based Ba’al, and I pay thee tribute.”

The entity hissed. “What is your tribute, manling?”

kw0134 pulled a chain, revealing the cage he’d immediately placed young Wagner in upon acquiring him.

Based Ba’al nodded. “Very well,” he intoned. “I shall grant thee power. What would you have of me?”

kw0134 suppressed a giggle, shocked at the ease at which he’d successfully negotiated with a supernatural being of incredible baseball power. But as any D&D nerd can tell you, it’s not getting the wish granted that’s important. It’s the phrasing of the wish. He’d have to choose his next words carefully.

“Oh great Based Ba’al,” he began. “I ask that you restore Grandpa Wagner to full vitality. Make him the best Grandpa he possibly could be. Make his contributions legendary so that fans fondly remember him and his works for years to come.”

Based Ba’al chuckled, a horrifying sound like seams and leather colliding with a skull. “Ho ho ho. You shall have a legendary Grandpa Wagner. All will look on him with fondness!”

There was a poof of smoke and scent of cordite. When it cleared, all was silent. Based Ba’al was gone. The cage that’d held Young Wagner was empty. Kw0134 vomited, then raced up to the dugout where he discovered his team was leading 9-5. He sat down on the bench just in time to see Nick Altrock close out the game to put the Generics up 2-0 in the series.

But mostly he was interested in seeing what Grandpa Wagner had to offer. He’d paid a terrible price to power the grandfatherly shortstop, and he was curious what form the power would take.

“Everyone to me,” shouted Wagner. “I’m so proud of all of you.” He unwrapped a Werther’s Original and popped it into his mouth. “Let’s all go out to the malt shop. My treat!”

“And you!” he pointed at the Highlanders shuffling off the field. “You played a good game! Sportsmanship is very important and you should join us at the malt shop!”

“Huh,” thought kw0134. “I guess that’s pretty energetic of him. Grandfatherly, too. Not sure how that helps with baseball, but I’m sure that’ll come up by Game 3.”

GAME NOTES

- Pee Wee Reese is having a horrifying series so far. In addition to repeatedly failing at the plate in Game 1, his error today likely cost the Highlanders the game.

- Both catchers hit triples. Neat!

Box Score

Game 3: Generics @ Highlanders (RCH Leads 2-0)

Frank Gaiman posted:

GENERICS MOVE ONE GAME AWAY FROM SUB-PAR BOWL WITH 10-7 WIN

Upstate - The Highlanders came into this game on their heels. Sure, as Tadashi said after losing Game 1, his club only needed to win a single road game to take the series. But after coming home down 0-2, “We’d also better win all our home games” was the understood subtext of his optimism.

Meanwhile, kw0134 was sitting pretty. Winning even one of the next three games would put the Generics on the path to the Sub-Par finals, and with his team facing David Wells, it seemed entirely likely that today could easily be that win. Especially since his sacrifice of Baby Honus Wagner had given him Energetic Grandpa Wagner, Baseball’s #1 Grandpa.

Yet kw0134’s optimism was dulled by hearing retching noises from the clubhouse. Bursting through the door, kw0134 was greeted by a cloud of Old Spice and the sight of Wagner’s genitals flapping about in plain sight.

“Honus!” shouted kw0134. “Cover yourself up.”

“Aw shucks,” said Grandpa Wagner, popping another Werther’s into his mouth. “I’m too old to be divin’ into lockers. ‘Sides, the boys here don’t mind it.” He propped a leg up on a bench, moving a checkers piece forward on a board that spontaneously appeared before him.

“Goddammit Honus,” shouted Ty Cobb. “You’re making the other players sick! Can you please do something about that?”

Wagner sighed, his enormous wads of nostril hair flaring out like a party favor. “Fine. I’ll go get dressed.”

While Wagner was dressing, the rest of the squad hurried out onto the field to take their at bats. If they had any ill effects from seeing a naked (yet surprisingly energetic) old man in the locker room, they didn’t show it. They immediately pounced on Wells, scoring three runs--punctuated by a booming homer by Mize. Jackie Robinson strode to the plate with runners on, putting Wagner on deck and the Generics’ starter, Luis Tiant, in the hole.

But Robinson would have difficulty concentrating as Tiant stared at Wagner swinging the bat in the on-deck circle.

“Eeeeeyagh!” Shouted Tiant. “Taint! Taint!”

Wagner chuckled. “No, Luis. It’s Tiant. But that’s OK, you’re still doing great for this not being your native language and I love you and think you’ll do a bang-up job starting for us today.”

“Abuelo Honus,” said Tiant, shaking his head. “I know my name. But I can’t shake the thought of what I saw in the locker room only a few minutes ago.”

Wagner put a hand on Tiant’s shoulder. “Luis, nudity’s just not a big deal. Walk into any locker room anywhere and you’ll find men like me, just standing about chatting with our friend Saul, or Herschel, or Mort. I don’t mind their nakedness any more than they mind mine. Truly there’s no greater way to build up camaraderie than naked checkers in a locker room.”

“O...OK,” stammered Tiant, striding out to the mound to take his warm-ups after Robinson grounded out to end the inning.

Indeed, the pep talk seemed to’ve worked, as Tiant retired the first two batters of the inning, the second on a pop-up to Wagner. But after corralling the second out, Wagner ran the ball back to the mound. He pinched Tiant’s cheek, saying “I knew you had it in you, Luis. I’m so proud of you.”

This...did not have the desired effect. Horrified by physical contact with an old (but surprisingly energetic) man whose genitals had been on full display nary an hour ago, Tiant lost all composure. He walked Eddie Mathews, George Sisler, and Billy Herman on 12 pitches. Tim Raines and Gabby Hartnett followed the bout of wildness with a pair of RBI singles, putting the Highlanders ahead 4-3.

But the Generics wouldn’t be deterred. Mize and Ott keyed a two-run rally in the third inning, putting Rochester back ahead, 5-4. Again, the ever optimistic Grandpa Wagner proved problematic.

After Tiant retired the first two men in the bottom of the third, Tim Raines singled. Trying to stretch the single into a double, he deftly avoided a swipe tag by none other than Wagner, reaching second base safely. Wagner fell awkwardly on the play, a fall that surely would’ve broken a hip before the blood magic that invigorated him during Game 2. Instead, he merely had to adjust his cup. But the act of doing so was in plain sight of Tiant, who immediately served up a meatball to Gabby Hartnett, who crushed it for a two-run homer putting the Highlanders up 6-5.

But still, the Generics were a good team. They’d just pick up Tiant for not being able to deal with Grandpa Wagner. Mel Ott singled in Rod Carew to tie the game at 6.

By the eighth inning, the game was still tied. Robinson singled with one out, bringing Wagner to the plate. Displaying incredible flexibility for a man of his age, Wagner got deep into a crouch. So deep, in fact, that his strike zone was almost non-existent. Confounded by this, Highlanders pitcher Max Lanier walked Wagner on four pitches, and Grandpa Honus trotted to first base.

Kw0134, knowing that Tiant had done enough and wasn’t much of a hitter and shouldn’t have to see Wagner in front of him, lifted him for a pinch hitter: Harmon Killebrew. Killebrew singled, putting the Generics back up 7-6, and bringing Ty Cobb up with a chance to break the game open.

Lanier looked back at Wagner standing on second, and clearly thought “a man of this age isn’t a threat to run. I can still get out of this.” Thus, it made perfect sense for him to throw a curveball to start off against Cobb--Cobb was presumably looking fastball given the game situation, and Wagner wasn’t likely to steal a base even off a slower-speed pitch.

The curveball bounced, and Cobb swung through it, clearly surprised. But as the ball rolled just inches away from Hartnett, Wagner saw his chance. Baseball’s Best Grandpa took off, catching even Killebrew by surprise. It’d be scored as a wild pitch, but it was pretty clearly a delayed steal that caught everyone in the stadium off guard. Now the runners were at second and third with only one out.

“That’s the way, Grandpa!” shouted kw0134. And sure enough, Wagner’s aggressiveness paid off, as Cobb grounded to shortstop for what would’ve been an inning-ending double play if not for the “wild pitch.” Instead, Wagner scored, and Killebrew would follow him home on a single one batter later. Now up 9-6, the Generics and their surprisingly energetic shortstop had only to hold the Highlanders down for six more outs.

Which is precisely what happened, though the teams did trade a couple of runs in the ninth to make the final score 10-7.

Inexplicably, Tadashi was still optimistic. “You ask me,” he said, “we’ve got ‘em right where we want ‘em. This is definitely not foreshadowing.”

Wagner, meanwhile, apologized to Tiant, and gave Jackie Robinson a piggy-back ride around the clubhouse.

GAME NOTES

- Mize and Ott are absolutely killing it so far this series. They both had superb regular season campaigns and haven’t missed a beat.

- The ERAs of the three Highlanders pitchers bring to mind the political candidacy of Herman Cain. Remember Herman Cain? The crazy guy from 2012, when things seems simpler and easier to laugh at without the slowly-dawning dread that we’re this close to some goddamn lunatic shooting something up?

Box Score

Game 4: Generics @ Highlanders (RCH Leads 3-0)

Frank Gaiman posted:

HIGHLANDERS AVERT SWEEP AS GENERICS LEARN HORRIFYING TRUTH ABOUT HONUS WAGNER, INIGO MONTOYA

“Don’t let us win today.”

Those were the words uttered by Travis Fryman when asked about the Highlanders’ prospects of avoiding a sweep at the hands of the Generics.

“Don’t let us win today,” he repeated. “Because if we win today, then you’ve got Dizzy in Game 5, Old Pete in Game 6, and then who knows what kind of craziness can happen in Game 7?”

It was a pretty impressive bit of bravado from the HIghlander third baseman. The Highlanders hadn’t looked particularly good--or even competent--after losing three straight to open the series. But to hear Fryman tell it, today’s game was a must-win for the Generics.

Of course, that seemed eminently doable, what with the Highlanders using A.J. Burnett to stave off elimination and Hippo Vaughn toeing the rubber for the Generics.

And sure enough, Vaughn started out strong. Why, he retired the first batter he faced. That was followed by a single and a double, putting runners at second and third with only one out in a 0-0 game in the first inning.

What happened next will probably have a 30-for-30 made from it. Standing on third, Riggs Stephenson represented the go-ahead run--a run that’d clearly be the critical factor in who won this game, what with it being the first inning and all. On the first pitch, Gabby Hartnett rapped a ground ball to Honus Wagner, playing in at shortstop to cut down this clearly very important run.

Stephenson broke on contact. Wagner fielded it cleanly and positioned himself to throw home, where Yogi Berra was waiting to tag out the RIGGS.

But something happened with Wagner. Instead of throwing, his Old Man nature got the better of him.

“Hold your horses there, Yogi,” he said. “You’re clearly very agitated. But I’ve brought you something special.”

“The ball?!?! Throw me the ball! Bring me the ball!” shouted Berra, as Stephenson was still only halfway down the line, easy meat for a play at the plate.

“No!” Shouted Grandpa Wagner. “I’ve brought you a story. The Princess Bride, by S. Morganstern. “The Year Buttercup was born, the most beautiful woman in the world was a French scullery maid named Annette.”

“What?” shouted Berra. “That’s not even how it starts!”

“Of course it is,” said Wagner. “Whippersnappers like you think the Rob Reiner movie is completely true to the book, but I know better! Trust in Old Honus!”

“Fine!” screamed Berra. “Just throw me the ball!” Because still, Stephenson was only three quarters of the way down the line. It’d be a close play, but a good throw would still likely get him.

“That’s right,” said Wagner, still not throwing the ball. “In the book, Inigo’s wound re-opens after killing Count Rugen. He probably dies.”

Hartnett, running to first, looked over at Wagner, horrified. “Wait, Inigo dies?”

“Well,” said Wagner, “it’s not made explicitly clear. But what do you think happens to someone with a gut wound that deep left untreated? And it’s not like he could go get medical help anywhere, what with being on the run from the legitimate government of Florin.”

“Throw! Me! The! Ball!” shouted Berra, jumping up and down. “And furthermore, the author said he left it open-ended so as to keep the adventure alive, not because of anything sad.”

Wagner shrugged. “Well, it doesn’t matter. Anyway, thanks for listening, Yogi.” He then threw to first for the force out, putting the Highlanders up 1-0.

A 1-0 lead isn’t much, especially in the first inning. But the morale blow was far greater. The Generics realized that Honus Wagner wasn’t a magical baseball totem grandpa, and that the only thing keeping them from playing like the crap-pile team they’d been in August was the belief that Wagner was something he wasn’t.

So it didn’t really come as much surprise when the Highlanders scored nine more runs scored on their way to a 10-1 victory, staving off elimination and setting up Dizzy Dean with a chance to send the series back to Rochester.

GAME NOTES

- The Highlanders had twenty hits! Every non-pitcher had at least 2, except for George Sisler, who doesn't believe in piling on.

- Telling the wrong version of The Princess Bride wasn’t even Wagner’s only error of the game, as he also just legit booted a ball that led to three runs. Gee, I hope the Generics don’t lose faith in their totem!

- Alternate title: Highlanders Punch Hippo Vaughn in the Mouth, Making His Pants Fall Down as They Beat Him Up

Box Score

Game 5: Generics @ Highlanders (RCH Leads 3-1)

Frank Gaiman posted:

HIGHLANDERS SEND SERIES BACK TO ROCHESTER WITH 4-1 WIN

Upstate - Maybe Tadashi was right? I mean, probably not--what’re the odds that a team goes up 3-0 in a series only to lose it. But still, the Highlanders live to fight another day.

Dizzy Dean took the mound today, his arm aching from being overused in Game 1. But still, he was looking for redemption. But it wouldn’t come early on.

With Walter Johnson holding the Highlanders offense at bay in the first inning, Dean gave up a one out single to Yogi Berra. Berra ended up on second with two out, and Honus Wagner stepped to the plate.

Wagner popped a Werther’s Original into his mouth and tipped his cap Dean. “Say there, old boy,” the jocular shortstop called to Dean. “I hope you’re not too tired after that first game when we got the better of you.”

“Quiet, Honus!” shouted Dean, pumping in a strike.

“Now, now,” he clucked. “No need for any of that. I understand what it’s like to be old and tired. I mean, not anymore. I’ve felt amazing since halfway through Game Two for some reason. But if you’re tired, I could give you some tips that used to help me when I was a less energetic man.”

“Knock it off, Wagner!” Strike two.

“Suit yourself,” said Wagner. He stepped out of the box. “But let me just say this, and then I’ll speak no more on it, I promise.”

“I don’t want to hear it! Get back in the box!”

“There’s a great series of liniments and oils you can get at CVS. I used to rub them all over my body.” He stepped back in and flicked a foul ball off, leaving the count 0-2.

“Enough about your body and your liniments!”

“Well, the trick is to realize that you’re not as young as you used to be and just accept that things burn. Like, the first time I used my liniments, my skin erupted in an oozing rash. I took pictures because I’d never seen anything like it, and I watched my brother die of the mumps!”

As he flicked away yet another foul ball, Wagner eagerly took out several medical photos and pointed them at Dean, oversharing in a way only a grandparent can.

“Ugh! Oh! Oh god! What the hell is that?” Dean served up a meatball. Wagner promptly slammed it into the left field gap to score Berra from first, putting the Generics up 1-0. Unfortunately, even Foxy Grandpa Wagner has his limits, and he was thrown out trying to stretch into a double.

Still, it was a 1-0 lead, and with Johnson on the mound, that looked like it might be enough. Dean held the Generics down for several more innings, but Big Train matched him zero for zero.

Until the sixth. Billy Herman and Tim Raines started the inning with back-to-back hits, a double and a triple, putting the go-ahead run at third base with nobody out. Sensing that the game could get away from him here, kw0134 signaled for the infield to scoot in.

It didn’t matter on the next batter, as Johnson powered a fastball past Gabby Hartnett for the first out. That brought up Pee Wee Reese, who’d failed repeatedly in this series, with a chance to put the ball in play to give the Highlanders the lead.

On a 1-1 count, Reese rapped a ground ball to Wagner, playing in. He fielded it cleanly, positioned himself to throw, and then called out to Reese.

“Good for you, old boy! I’m so glad you didn’t let your earlier struggles get you down. I’m so proud of you.”

“THE BALL! GET ME THE BALL!” Berra was jumping up and down at home as Raines raced home with the lead run.

“Nonsense, Yogi,” said Wagner. “I’ve gotta take the sure out at first base--gotta be conservative and not go for the spectacular play. All my years on this earth have taught me that the exceptional rarely happens and that slow-but-steady wins the race.”

“BUT THIS IS THE GO-AHEAD RUN AND WE ONLY HAVE A HANDFUL OF AT BATS LEFT!”

Wagner threw to first, nipping Reese, as Raines crossed the plate. “And the chances of us scoring a run in the last three innings are greater than the chances of my clipping a man like Tim Raines at the plate. Damage control, Yogi. Conservative baseball.”

Berra hung his head. “I guess it’s true,” he said to nobody in particular. “People do get more conservative as they age.”

But Wagner was probably right, because the Generics would load the bases--with only one out--in the seventh inning. Trailing 2-1, Stan Hack strode to the plate with Wagner on deck.

“I believe in you, Stan!” shouted Wagner, ever the positive influence. “Even if you fail, it’s not like you’ll hit into a double play, and I feel there’s a single left in this bat of mine. Just keep the inning going and I’ll single and we’ll be up 3-2!”

Hack promptly grounded into a double play. One inning later, Wagner made good on his promise to single, leading off the eighth. But he, too, was erased on a double play, this time by Tony Oliva.

To make matters worse, Oliva was only batting because he was pinch hitting for Walter Johnson--meaning that a relief pitcher was now needed. That turned out to be Ron Perranoski, and he immediately gave up a two-run homer to Hartnett. That made it 4-1, and not even the ever-positive Wagner had much good to say about it.

“Hey, boys,” he said. “There’s always tomorrow.”

Or more accurately, the day after tomorrow, as the series will now head back to Rochester for Game Six.

Tadashi only smirked. “Like I said, right where we want ‘em.”

Kw0134 scratched his head. “Fine. Whatever. We still only need to win one of the next two. At home. And we don’t have to face Dean again. We can beat Alexander. We’ve already done it once. No reason we can’t do it again.”

“That’s the spirit!” said Wagner, reaching into kw0134’s ear and pretending to pull out a quarter. “This is for you! Don’t spend it all in one place!” He jogged down the hall with surprising vigor, settling in to watch Matlock.

GAME NOTES

- In an odd reversal, it was the Highlanders who had all the extra-base hits in today’s game.

- Dizzy Dean threw 122 pitches in a complete game effort. Should the Highlanders win Game Six, it’s unlikely Dean would be able to even go in relief in Game Seven. He’s been ridden very hard this series.

Box Score

Game 6: Highlanders @ Generics (RCH Leads 3-2)

Frank Gaiman posted:

KW0134 PAYS PRICE FOR HIS HUBRIS AS GENERICS COMEBACK FALLS JUST SHORT

Rochester - Well, it kind of made sense.

Unquestionably, the Generics almost lost their entire season when they took Honus Wagner out of the lineup, and only rallied when they put him back in.

Conversely, they were doing just fine in the postseason until the darkest of blood magicks gave the elderly shortstop unnatural vim and vigor. Truth be told, Wagner himself has been excellent since the ritual, but his teammates have just been kind of unnerved by having an energetic grandpa on their team. So one can sort of see kw0134’s logic in trying to hide Wagner when it mattered most, hoping that this would reverse the slowly-unfolding collapse of his team.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. We’re not there yet.

Today was a rematch of Candy Cummings and Pete Alexander, and things went...poorly for Cummings early on. The Highlanders didn’t exactly hit the cover off the ball--indeed, there were several infield singles and zero extra base hits--but the ball just seemed to have a mind of its own. When it was hit sharply, it’d be between infielders. When it was hit weakly, it’d fail to roll far enough to reach an infielder. Given that Cummings couldn’t strike anyone out, he just had to ride out his streak of bad luck.

The end result? A 6-0 Highlanders lead before the third inning ended. But the game was far from over, and the Generics had already proven they could hit Pete Alexander. So they went to work.

In the fourth, they pushed two runs across, keyed by a Wagner single and a bloop hit by Cummings (who really should’ve been lifted for a pinch hitter, come on, man.)

Cummings held them down until the seventh, when the Generics made their next push. The inning opened with a double and two singles, then singles by Ott and Berra after Johnny Mize flew out. All in all, that made the score 6-5 with Stan Hack striding to the plate.

Hack, having seen what happened when he swung away only a game earlier, was terrified of hitting into a double play. So he just stood there and left Alexander strike him out looking.

“No worries, Stanley!” Wagner strode to the plate, his trademark Werther’s Original in his cheek. “I’ll pick you up.” Indeed, it seemed pretty likely that he would. Wagner was already 2-3 on the day, and had made hard contact the one time Alexander managed to retire him. All he really needed was a single and the game would be tied.

He never got the chance.

kw0134 emerged from the dugout, his fingernails chewed to the nubs, his hair missing in patches where he’d plucked it nervously. “N---no, Honus, that’s ok,” he stammered.

“What’s that, Skip?”

“I’m taking you out. P-pinch hitter.” Flecks of spittle flew from the wild-eyed Generics owner’s mouth.

“Well, I don’t agree with what you’re saying, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it,” said Wagner. He promptly set down his bat and returned to the dugout, where not one player was willing to do the ritualistic butt-slap of congratulations.

Which meant that Wagner was alone with his supple and muscular and really quite offputting old man body in the dugout: a prime vantage point to watch Tony Oliva take a high-leverage at bat that resulted in a harmless ground ball to second base.

That’d be the last chance either team had to score that game, as Mike Henneman closed out the 6-5 win, and putting the Highlanders a game from the Subpar finals.

Tadashi issued a surprise announcement after the game: he’d start David Wells despite Boomer’s terrible performance in Game 3 and A.J. Burnett being available to pitch the deciding game. “Look, we’re tied 3-3,” he said. “Anything can happen. But probably something involving more hilarious failure on the part of the Generics. There's no doubt of that.”

As for kw0134? He didn’t even bother to attend the postgame conference, instead choosing to rock himself back and forth in front of a tv watching Smasher Dynamo and Eri Yoshida discuss the stupidity of pinch hitting for Honus Wagner with Tony loving Oliva.

GAME NOTES

- Candy Cummings didn’t strike anyone out in this game either!

- The better Wagner hits, the worse the Generics do. Will this continue in Game 7?

Box Score

Game 7: Highlanders @ Generics (Series Tied 3-3)

Frank Gaiman posted:

GENERICS COMPLETE BIGGEST FAILURE IN SUB-PAR LEAGUE HISTORY

Rochester - Three games ago, the Generics were poised for an easy sweep that’d give them the chance to set their rotation before the Sub-Par Bowl.

That was (mostly) before kw0134’s dark blood magic ritual that stripped the Base Cloggers’ former Honus Wagner of his strength in order to energize the Old Grandpa Wagner. The ritual had its intended consequence in regards to the shortstop, but was rather ruinous in terms of game outcomes.

So it came as little surprise that kw0134 felt compelled to begin yet another ritual before Luis Tiant--unnerved by the naked body of Grandpa Wagner in his previous start--took the mound in an elimination game.

But the Generics owner also had no other newly-acquired players to sacrifice, so he had to look within his own team. He summoned Candy Cummings into the manager’s office.

“Bully! You wanted to see me, coach?”inquired Cummings. “Please make it quick for I wish to return to grooming my moustaches and dying of dysentary.”

“This won’t take but a moment. And hell, you won’t even need it. Not like you strike anybody out anyway.”

With a flash of surprising speed for a man so undone by his hubris, kw0134 deftly severed the ulnar collateral ligament in Cummings’ throwing arm.

“Fie! What devilry is this?!?” shouted the curveballer. But he was quickly hustled from the room. kw0134 then dropped the ligament into a fire and began chanting.

Range of Cruz,
Glove of Buckner
Come on, man,
What the gently caress-ner?

Balance of Gant,
And Merkle’s Boner
Help me, please
To manage Wagner

Dickshot of Holliday,
Moonshots of Kim,
Grandpa’s too odd,
I can’t manage him!

A black cloud enveloped the room. When it cleared, kw0134 saw what he’d summon: St. Louisfer, patron “saint” of playoff bullshit instigated by middle infielders. Flanked by his four horsemen: Peter, Daniel, Aaron, and the most dastardly of all, David.

“Why have you summoned me,” asked St. Louisfer. His words came out pleasant-sounding, far different from those of Base Ba’al. Like Ted Drewe’s frozen custard washing down a plate of toasted ravioli.

“Great Louisfer,” said kw0134. “I beseech you for help. I have a great and powerful middle infielder, Honus Wagner, but the rest of my team cannot handle his greatness. I, too, cannot handle it. His being around causes me to make terrible decisions.”

“Hrmmmmm,” said the demon. “You wish me to allow your team to not react to Wagner?” He snapped his fingers to get the attention of David, who was gnawing on a table leg. “Down, David!”

“Yes!” shouted kw0134, clearly not learning his lesson about phrasing requests with eldritch powers. “Especially Tiant! Make sure Tiant can handle Wagner!”

Pete and Daniel giggled disquietingly, while Aaron busied himself eating the head off a rat. But Louisfer wasn’t distracted--he’d seen this all before. “Very well,” he said. “It is done.”

And like that, he disappeared, leaving only Aaron Miles half-eaten rat corpse and Eckstein’s teeth marks on the table behind.

Seemingly, it worked. George Sisler knocked in the go-ahead run in the first inning, putting the Highlanders up 1-0, but that was all the damage Tiant gave up. Wagner keyed a rally in the third to tie it 1-1, scoring the inning’s only run. Yogi Berra homered in the following inning, making it 2-1, and Wagner singled yet again. Unfortunately, with two men on, kw0134 was unwilling to remove his effective starter in a deciding game. Tiant struck out to end the inning.

But Tiant’s job was to shut down the Highlanders, and that’s exactly what he did. The Upstate squad couldn’t do anything against him after that first inning run, and when Johnny Mize cracked a homer to make it 5-1 after seven, it looked like the Highlanders had come all the way back in the series only to lose in the most heartbreaking of fashions.

And sure enough, Tiant pitched a scoreless eighth too.

Kw0134 warmed up Nick Altrock to close it out. Honus Wagner couldn’t understand it. Tiant was clearly well able to handle finishing off the game.

“Skip, wanna talk to you about lifting Tiant. Maybe we shouldn’t do it?” He said.

But kw0134 couldn’t hear him. He was totally unaffected by Wagner.

Wagner tried again. “Boss, I’ve seen a lot of things in my day. This could go bad. Leave him in. Really. I mean it. If you listen to nothing else I say, please listen to this. Old Honus knows better.”

But his protestations fell on deaf ears. Tiant was pinch hit for by Tony Oliva (he singled; it didn’t matter) and then exited the game. It would be up to Nick Altrock to send the Generics to the finals.

Billy Herman led off with a single, but with a 5-1 lead, Altrock was doing what was needed--putting the ball in play. And when Tim Raines hit a grounder to Stan Hack, it seemed to be going well.

Yet Hack panicked, thinking he needed to turn a double play. Instead, he booted the ball and put runners at first and second, with still no outs. Gabby Hartnett grounded to shortstop, and Wagner had all the time in the world to double up the slow-footed catcher, but he wanted to make Hack feel better and threw to third for a force out. Perhaps not the smartest move, but it did at least get an out recorded.

Pee Wee Reese singled, loading the bases and putting the tying run at the plate. Eric Davis represented the tying run, and lifted a fly ball to deep left. He raised his arms in the air to celebrate...only to watch the ball fall into Ty Cobb’s leaping glove. Still,, it was a sacrifice fly that made the game 5-2--but with two outs.

Kiki Cuyler followed with a single to re-load the bases, and Tony Gwynn strode to the plate. Gwynn, by far the best hitter on the Highlanders, and batting over .500 for the series, flicked the ball into the right field corner. Cuyler slide home just ahead of the throw, suddenly tying the game 5-5.

Sure, the Generics had a chance to win the game in the bottom of the inning, but the writing was already on the wall. They went down in order.

That brought up the 10th. And inexplicably, Altrock was still in the game. I mean, he didn’t finish the game--that was for Ron Perranoski. But he was there long enough to give up the go-ahead run. And another one for good measure. It was 7-5 heading into the bottom of the inning.

And the Generics? The Generics knew this was their last chance to prevent an epic collapse. Score three runs this inning and all their previous humiliations would be rendered irrelevant.

They went down in order.

Against all odds, the Highlanders had done the impossible: come back from down 3-0 to win a playoff series.

Wagner went to console a despondent kw0134, who looked seriously at risk of self-harm. But Wagner was still unseen. Whatever ills befell the Generics postgame would just have to be reset by next season.

And the Highlanders? They’re just one more playoff series away from getting to choose their division in the Super-League.

GAME NOTES

[17:47] <shepard_shouldgo_laptop> Hence why I use deaballers and have them wrack up high pitch counts and pitch through trouble
[17:47] <kw0134> that's the theory.
[17:47] <kw0134> then I have Ron Perronoski come in after Walt Johnson throws 65 pitches and I lose 23-5

Box Score

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The teams in the dispersal draft pool will be:

CSKA Llama
Vault Boys
Colma Skeletons
Da Pope's Chosen
Modern Bourgeois
Yankeefans.gif

So, someone can make the draft spreadsheet.

e: People who want to play D&D on a weeknight (I'm currently thinking Wednesday), would help me out if they were in the IRC channel tonight at 8 Eastern/7 Central, so we can try and figure out who's going to be in, and classes, and stuff like that.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 16, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The teams in the dispersal draft pool will be:

[...]

Yankeefans.gif

Hello, I want to trade for dispersal draft picks even more now. So I'm looking for fourth rounders to trade to mks for his modern pitchers, and I'm looking for a pick that will get me Curt Schilling. I'm currently more interested in the former than the latter, since trading fourth rounders to mks is a more sure thing than getting picks that could end up being worthless if somebody picks the Schilling before me. Furthermore, I still want to trade with the St. Maarten Storm to get their Sandy Koufax - I still need to complete that Moonchild All-Star set! Here's my roster again. Everything below "Core" importance is potentially up for trade.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

[And with the finals in two update, a no-DH lineup would be great
And, uh, that's about it. Something, something that rhymes with 'it.'

Move Delahanty to CF against left-handers otherwise Snider keeps his CF place and Delahanty drops to the bench. Also, McDowell takes #4, obviously, hoping he can carry me forward to glory once again!

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

I'M SORRY BABY WAGNER! If I'd know what they would do to you I,,,,,probably still would've traded you, you were kinda really wild in EC.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, I think that I'm going to start the weekday group next Wednesday at 8 Eastern/7 Central.

As for the weekend people, I'm thinking that we could try and figure that out in the IRC channel on Saturday at some point.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, I think that I'm going to start the weekday group next Wednesday at 8 Eastern/7 Central.

As for the weekend people, I'm thinking that we could try and figure that out in the IRC channel on Saturday at some point.

Okay, ironically, this is actually too early for me, I've got a different game on Wednesdays until 9 Eastern (6 Pacific). I hadn't actually considered that they might overlap, given how early the other one is. If eight's the best time, though, I can switch to Saturday, easy, since it seems like a healthy number of people are down with the Wednesday game as it is.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It is God's plan...

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

If anyone wants to help sort the names on the list for the draft, now is your chance!!!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
How do we feel about an opt-in lightning 5th round? If you don't want any extra players, you don't need to participate.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Merry Marauder posted:

How do we feel about an opt-in lightning 5th round? If you don't want any extra players, you don't need to participate.

Yes, all those teams that don't want extra players.

Anyway, that runs into time zone issues.

In other news, as far as the D&D thing goes, as long as I have your character sheet before we start, then you're in.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Yes, all those teams that don't want extra players.

People whine at the end of every draft about how bad/pointless the choices are. At least that way I could shame them for their greed.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

People whine at the end of every draft about how bad/pointless the choices are.

You forgot in the middle, and at the beginning.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

However a 5th round just for EC teams would be cool

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Not at the disinterested plod of prior 5th rounds, no.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm moving to the Saturday group. I'm on vacation next week--I will be out of town both this coming Saturday and Wednesday. So if this coming Saturday is used to figure out a time, I'm not really missing anything b/c I can make anytime work on subsequent Sats.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

People whine at the end of every draft about how bad/pointless the choices are. At least that way I could shame them for their greed.

CFBalla got his Frank Robinson with one of the last picks of round 5 and he did pretty drat good this season!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Dear Super-League,

Were it up to me, I would have written a fantastic update to capture the RCMP/Kernels series. Pressing matters in Stardew Valley, however, have diverted my attention, and made such an update entirely impossible. Yes, there were some fascinating things I could have written, the fall and rise and then much larger fall of Billy Wagner. The incredible actions undertaken by the Masked Shortstop. The astounding ability of the RCMP to stop hitting at the worst possible moments. No doubt it would have been amazing to have the time to write about such matters, but, alas, I lacked the time to do so. Instead, I have produced a transcript of a podcast recorded by HulkaMatt and The Goog covering the events of the series.

I'm sure their 'hot takes' will be sufficiently delightful.

HULKAMATT: How's it going everyone, we are here on Super-League Observer Live, the most listened to Super-League radio show in the world. A lot of news to go to today, The Goog will be joining me after the break, Smasher Dynamo is going to drop by in a later segment, and we'll be taking your calls. A lot to talk about today, we have a new Dynamo League Champion, the Dynamo League Championship Series between the RCMP and my tag team partner, the Kernels, was last night, we'll go over that, other Super-League news, we can talk about what Smasher Dynamo could possibly be thinking about with this D&D thing, all that, after the break.

(Commercial Break)

HULKAMATT: Hulkamatt here with Super-League Observer Live! The Goog is here, as always, The Goog, what's happening?
THE GOOG: Nothing much, I just saw the DLCS.
HULKAMATT: Before we get started on the DLCS, I just want to get this clear. I am so loving sick of the dogs and cats in the RAW GDT. It was funny the first loving time, but now EVERY god-drat WEEK, I go to the GDT, and all I see are dogs and loving cats!
THE GOOG: The cats are loving?
HULKAMATT: You know what I mean! It makes me so angry, I just want to pee straight up in the air!
THE GOOG: Peeing straight up?
HULKAMATT: I am so mad that people keep turning the GDTs into this endless series of dog and cat .gifs! No more!
THE GOOG: Do you hear that, PSP, no more dogs and cats, ever. Does this mean vinceflex.jpg is back?
HULKAMATT: No! No dogs, no cats, no vinceflex.jpg, no pizza chat!
THE GOOG: So, you want people to talk about Raw?
HULKAMATT: Yes!
THE GOOG: Have you seen Raw lately?
HULKAMATT: That's not the point!
THE GOOG: I think it is the point.
HULKAMATT: Let's just get into the DLCS.
THE GOOG: Okay. The Dynamo League Championship Series. RCMP against the Mitchell Kernels, in a rematch from last season.
HULKAMATT: I'm going to have a lot of things to say about this series, but I want to start by saying that Smasher Dynamo really needs to stop booking the same guys against each other every god-drat season. I mean, the RCMP have been the Super-League for two seasons, and this is their second time facing the Kernels!
THE GOOG: Or, as DannoMack would say, 'the Kernals'.
HULKAMATT: Don't even get me started on DannoMack. Don't even get me started.
THE GOOG: Not a fan?
HULKAMATT: I get that they want this guy to be one of the top heels in the Super-League, and they do need new top heels, but this guy, he's just not getting over. No one was excited to see DannoMack or the RCMP in this spot. They were more excited for the Kernels/Sheikhs match. They were a lot more excited for the W's/Bombers match.
THE GOOG: That was a great match.
HULKAMATT: It was! And then we have this thing, it makes me mad just talking about it!
THE GOOG: So, the RCMP are out first, you have DannoMack with his resplendent red coat, they're playing the Canadian national anthem, the crowd does not care.
HULKAMATT: No.
THE GOOG: And then the lights go out, you have the great Kernels' music, the Masked Shortstop is there, Rogers Hornsby is there, CFBalla is sitting in the dugout, now that is a championship team, that is something the crowd wants to see.
HULKAMATT: That's the problem, you have a star team like the Kernels, who everyone can tell is a star just by looking at them, and then you have the RCMP, and Smasher wonders why he can't get new teams over!
THE GOOG: First game, total domination by the RCMP, they beat the Kernels over and over and over, and the crowd is booing, and it just goes on and on and on.
HULKAMATT: Listen, I get what they're going for here. They want to establish the RCMP as a threat, but the RCMP already beat the Kernels last year! We don't need to see this again! It doesn't matter that the RCMP are heels in this series, no one wants to see the Kernels get beaten down by the RCMP anymore!
THE GOOG: In fairness, it was the only time it happened in this series. At least, like that.
HULKAMATT: It doesn't matter!
THE GOOG: Did that make you want to pee straight up?
HULKAMATT: Just move on!
THE GOOG: DannoMack cuts a promo after the match, telling us how he's going to go on to beat the Kernels again, and win the Dynamo League Championship again, and bring the Super-League Title back to Canada, where Canadian fans will appreciate it more than Americans, because he apparently forgot that, in the finals, he'll be facing the W's, who are not from America.
HULKAMATT: It's your standard heel promo from DannoMack, no one cared.

THE GOOG: That takes us to Game Two! The Kernels win!
HULKAMATT: I've got to say something about this. If you look at the Kernels' offense to the rest of the league, it is a thing of beauty. It just flows so much better than everyone else's. It feels like most of the top teams now are teams like the W's and the RCMP, who just go from dinger to dinger, with nothing in between, or teams like the Zephyrs or the Panderers, who just hit single after single with no psychology. So, to see a team like the Kernels put it all together, and just have an offense that holds itself well together, that's what a main event team should be like. That's one reason that I'm upset that the Kernels had to face the Sheikhs in the previous round, because those two teams have the best offenses in the league, in terms of watching them, and they deserved a long series than the RCMP did.
THE GOOG: You're not wrong, but the RCMP do have good offense. I think that, with a little work, they could be that guy.
HULKAMATT: We're two seasons in with them, the crowds aren't responding.
THE GOOG: The finish was that the Kernels were slowly wearing the RCMP down, and the RCMP were going to turn things around by putting Billy Wagner in the game! And then the Kernels just destroy him!
HULKAMATT: They did that to set something up later in the series, and I'll give credit, that was well-done.
THE GOOG: DannoMack sees what Billy Wagner has done, that he has screwed it up for him again, and he is mortified!
HULKAMATT: Mortified!
THE GOOG: Mortified that Billy Wagner has blown it for his team again. He cannot believe that this man, who could gently caress it up that many times, would gently caress it up this time as well.
HULKAMATT: Here's a question, I know why, in storyline, DannoMack keeps Billy Wagner in his bullpen, but why? You would think he would eventually figure out that Wagner is going to explode!
THE GOOG: I don't know.
HULKAMATT: Again, I understand why that needs to happen for the sake of the storyline, but the storyline makes DannoMack out to be complete goof! He is a goof! Who could take this guy seriously?
THE GOOG: Who, indeed.

THE GOOG: Game Three! The Kernels completely shut down the RCMP.
HULKAMATT: I don't really want to get in this, but you have to wonder about the booking of this series. The RCMP are coming into this series as underdogs.
THE GOOG: They did win the last series between these two teams.
HULKAMATT: But no one expected them to win that series, and no one expects them to beat the Kernels here, because, at the very least, you think that the Kernels are getting their win back.
THE GOOG: That is true.
HULKAMATT: And so you start out the series with the RCMP getting some good heat, and then just have the Kernels beat them again and again.
THE GOOG: I will admit, there was a point in Game Three when I was convinced that Smasher Dynamo was going to run-in and just call the series over!
HULKAMATT: Two hits! The RCMP got two hits in Game Three!
THE GOOG: It was not a good performance for the RCMP.
HULKAMATT: You have the Kernels, a star team, in the stadium, and then you have these Canadian geeks in their, and the Kernels are just obliterating them! And this is a title match! This is for the Dynamo League Championship! If the RCMP could win this match, they are going on to play for the Super-League Championship!
THE GOOG: They were in the finals last season.
HULKAMATT: It was a bad finals. DannoMack put Aaron Ledesma out there!
THE GOOG: I didn't say it was a good idea to put them in the finals, my point is that they were in the finals.
HULKAMATT: And that worked out great. That gave us the Southpaws as Super-League Champions. The gimmick team of gimmick teams.
THE GOOG: It was not great.

THE GOOG: Game Four! The Kernels just beat the RCMP to death with dingers. It was brutal. The Kernels were just taking it to the RCMP, who sold well, at least. Then again, given how bad the beating looked, it's not like they had to work that hard to make it seem like they were completely broken.
HULKAMATT: Here's the thing, I get that, given how the finish of the series was booked, why you'd have the Kernels look so good. But beating the RCMP three straight times, if this were the regular season, the Kernels would have just taken the RCMP's titles from them at this point. And maybe that's not so bad in theory, but we're just a couple of weeks removed from the Zephyrs beating the RCMP three straight times to actually take their titles.
THE GOOG: It's not great.
HULKAMATT: It's insane! If you're going to be a real main eventer in the Super-League, you can't lose three straight games to the other two division champions that close together! And I know that the RCMP were supposed to get their heat back when they beat the Zephyrs in the first round, but they did not look like champions in that series, and they did not look like champions here.
THE GOOG: One thing I noticed is that, as good as the Masked Shortstop sounds in the recaps, he's even better live. He's the fastest guy on the field, he's a great hitter, he's an unbelievable fielder, he is a superstar, he is the sort of player that you can build a championship team around. Which is why the Tornados did. But he's one of the great players in the Super-League today, and I can only imagine how much merch sales he moves by selling masks.
HULKAMATT: He's great. And I don't want to take anything away from his greatness, but he's only doing it against the RCMP.
THE GOOG: You are just burying the RCMP today.
HULKAMATT: They buried themselves!
THE GOOG: Themselves, you say?
HULKAMATT: Yes! This is a team that is being given the biggest push in the Super-League, and this is what they're doing with it. It baffles me!
THE GOOG: Would you have preferred a gently caress finish to this series to protect the RCMP in this series?
HULKAMATT: No, I want them to, I don't know, I want them to not suck!
THE GOOG: They won over 100 games in the regular season. They came in 2nd place in the Tag Team Tournament.
HULKAMATT: That's the other thing. Listen, I know that the Crows aren't very good, and if you're trying to push a team like the RCMP to become the face of the Dynamo League, one thing that you shouldn't do is put the Crows over in any way. The future Dynamo League Champions shouldn't be jobbing out to the last-place team in the Norris-Smythe Division. Even if they are my team!
THE GOOG: I see.
HULKAMATT: And the other thing is, well, we'll get to the other thing later. But you have Satchel Paige throwing pitch after pitch down the middle, and he keeps getting pitch after pitch sent right over the fence, and he just keeps doing it! What the gently caress is that?
THE GOOG: I Think he was hoping that eventually the Kernels would get too tired to hit dingers.
HULKAMATT: God, it was horrible, it was so bad, I could not believe what I was watching.
THE GOOG: It was not the finest hour for the RCMP.
HULKAMATT: The only good thing about Game Four was that it was short. It was under three hours, despite the RCMP managing to give up nine runs.
THE GOOG: That is true.
HULKAMATT: Let's just move on.

THE GOOG: Game Five, we're in Toronto, if the RCMP lose this game, they are eliminated. They are not eliminated in this game.
HULKAMATT: They really are, though. The only reason the RCMP won this game is to set up the finish.
THE GOOG: True, but at least the RCMP managed to win another game before the series ended.
HULKAMATT: You know, I just, never mind, go on.
THE GOOG: The story of this game is that there are moments where the RCMP's bullpen could blow the game, and cost them the series, but then they don't. And what the audience is supposed to think is 'wait, maybe Billy Wagner won't be the reason the Kernels eventually win.'
HULKAMATT: We'll get into the finish of the series a bit later. But one thing in this game is that the RCMP drew a lot of walks.
THE GOOG: Five! They had five.
HULKAMATT: Which is weird, because they didn't draw many in the other games, and didn't draw many in the rest of the series, but this time, they drew walks.
THE GOOG: So they did.
HULKAMATT: I just don't understand why the RCMP are suddenly good at drawing walks against the Kernels, when they've sucked in every other game in this series at doing that!
THE GOOG: Different starting pitcher?
HULKAMATT: All of the Kernels' starters are exactly the same. I can't even tell them apart! No one can!
THE GOOG: One of them is Robin Roberts.
HULKAMATT: No one knows who that is!
THE GOOG: He is in the Hall of Fame.
HULKAMATT: Did he ever play for the Yankees?
THE GOOG: No.
HULKAMATT: Did he ever play for the Red Sox?
THE GOOG: No.
HULKAMATT: Did he even play in the AL East?
THE GOOG: When he played, there was no AL East.
HULKAMATT: Did he play for an AL East team, though.
THE GOOG: I believe that he briefly played for the Orioles.
HULKAMATT: They don't count.
THE GOOG: They are in the AL East.
HULKAMATT: Baltimore doesn't count.
THE GOOG: That is harsh.
HULKAMATT: Have you seen The Wire? Are you telling me that Baltimore should count?
THE GOOG: Wasn't the idea in The Wire that we should pay attention to places like Baltimore?
HULKAMATT: The point of The Wire is that some places can't be help and we should even try. Places like Baltimore.
THE GOOG: I'm not sure that's right.
HULKAMATT: My point is that I don't care about Robin Roberts, and I don't care that CFBalla's pitchers are technically not just the same person, they all seem like they're the same person!
THE GOOG: But they aren't.
HULKAMATT: Yes, they are! Let's just move on!

THE GOOG: Game Six.
HULKAMATT: This loving game.
THE GOOG: So, neither team is able to score, and they're just making out after out after out-
HULKAMATT: Here's the thing. I get that you want to end this series with a bang. I get that, I really do. But the idea that the RCMP can't score a single run off the Kernels, and not even for the first time this series, they look like geeks.
THE GOOG: The Kernels didn't score a run for the first eight innings either.
HULKAMATT: But they won! And the RCMP lost this game!
THE GOOG: It was close.
HULKAMATT: Only because the RCMP couldn't score a single god-damned run!
THE GOOG: So, the finish of the game, and the series, is that it's the ninth inning, and the game is still 0-0, and Billy Wagner is on the mound, and Rogers Hornsby is at the plate. And the audience wonders whether or not Billy Wagner is going to save the RCMP or doom them. And he dooms them, because he gives up the series-ending home run to Rogers Hornsby.
HULKAMATT: You know, I get that they set up that Billy Wagner was the weak link of the RCMP, but then had him not blow Game Five to set up the idea that he might not blow this game, and so that gives DannoMack the confidence to send Billy Wagner into this game, but it's still loving stupid!
THE GOOG: It was a tragic error in judgment, that's true.
HULKAMATT: It's more than stupid, the game is tied 0-0, and Billy Wagner has already cost this team a game in this series, and we're supposed to believe that DannoMack is willing to put Wagner in this game, when he has Mariano Rivera on his bench?
THE GOOG: Maybe he's a Diamondbacks fan.
HULKAMATT: Mariano Rivera is the greatest reliever of all-time, and with the RCMP's season on the line, not only does DannoMack put in Billy Wagner, he sends in Wagner, a left-hander, to pitch against the right-handed Rogers Hornsby.
THE GOOG: Like I said, it was a tragic error in judgment.
HULKAMATT: DannoMack came out of this series looking like a total geek. They buried him in this series. Just buried. I've seen a lot of burials over the years, this was the worst. This burial was so bad that Triple H himself would have looked at it and gone, "Take it easy, leave the man with a little dignity."
THE GOOG: It wasn't good for the RCMP, that's true. So, that's your Super-League Finals, at any rate, it's Kernels vs. W's.
HULKAMATT: Just terrible. Okay, we have to go to break, when we get back, Smasher Dynamo will be joining us!

(Commercial Break)

HULKAMATT: And we're back! Smasher is here for this segment.
SMASHER: Yeah.
THE GOOG: So, the Super-League Finals are the W's against the Kernels.
THE GOOG: Who do you think has the edge?
SMASHER: Kernels.
THE GOOG: Okay, and why?
SMASHER: They won a poo poo-ton more games.
THE GOOG: I see. But the W's did manage to beat the Doom and Bombers to get this far.
THE GOOG: So, do you think they could pull off an upset?
THE GOOG: But you don't think they will.
SMASHER: Don't know.
HULKAMATT: Let me jump in here. Smasher, I heard that the W's will have home-field advantage in the Finals.
HULKAMATT: But the Kernels have the better record.
HULKAMATT: So, shouldn't the Kernels have home-field advantage?
SMASHER: But they don't.
HULKAMATT: I know that, I'm asking if you think it would be more fair if they did.
SMASHER: I guess.
HULKAMATT: So maybe, in the future, you could change the rules?
SMASHER: Nah.
THE GOOG: Both teams are going to challenge the Macho Men, do you worry that either the W's or the Kernels could beat the Macho Men in a challenge series?
SMASHER: What?
THE GOOG: I mean, two pretty good teams-
SMASHER: Are you loving stupid? No one's beating the Macho Men.
HULKAMATT: Okay, fine, anything else you want to talk about?
SMASHER: Nah.
HULKAMATT: Well, thanks for joining us. We're going to take another commercial break, and then we'll take your calls.

(Commercial Break)

HULKAMATT: And we're back. Let's see, we've got a call on the West Coast line, caller, you're on the air.
PANDER: This is Pander, from Portland.
HULKAMATT: What's on your mind Pander?
PANDER: I can't be the only one out there thinking how unfair it is that the Bombers, after beating the Panderers, managed to prove just how useless they were by losing to Jack McDowell in Game Seven, right?
THE GOOG: That was not a good loss for the Bombers.
HULKAMATT: Pander, I get what you're trying to say, but let's not forget that the W's have beaten a lot of good teams in the playoffs. They beat the Pirates in the finals two seasons in a row! And that was when the Pirates were a great team.
PANDER: Even still, the W's only won 85 games in the regular season!
HULKAMATT: Listen, at the end of the day, as long as you have enough wins to get to the playoffs, it doesn't really matter how many wins you actually had, because anything can happen in a small series. I want to thank you for your call. We've got someone on the East Coast, line, caller, you're on the air.
TADASHI: This is Tadashi, from Upstate, and I was wondering why you didn't ask Smasher what he thought about the Sub-Par Playoffs, the Highlanders just-
HULKAMATT: I'm going to stop you right there. Are you really asking why I didn't ask Smasher about the Sub-Par League?
TADASHI: The Highlanders are going to be in the Super-League next season.
THE GOOG: And I am sure Smasher is just thrilled with that.
HULKAMATT: I don't think there's anything in the world that Smasher Dynamo wants to talk about less than the Sub-Par League. If I ask him that question, he's going to hang up the phone. He does not want to talk about it. Not with me, not with anyone. Thanks for your call. Let's see, caller, you're on the air.
ECLECTICTASTES: Hi, EclecticTastes from Phoenix.
HULKAMATT: What's on your mind, EclecticTastes?
ECLECTICTASTES: Okay, how's this for the finals, both team split the first six games of the series, and then, in the last game, CFBalla intentionally loses the game to make sure that the W's go to the Macho Men Series so that the Crows get to play in an easier division next season, but then Smasher finds out that the Kernels threw the series, so he has the Macho Men throw the series to the W's so that they stay in the Super-League.
HULKAMATT: Okay, hold on, so, the Kernels throw the finals so that the W's get eliminated by the Macho Men-
ECLECTICTASTES: Yeah.
HULKAMATT: But then Smasher decides to just throw out the Macho Men's unbeaten streak, just to spite CFBalla?
ECLECTICTASTES: Yeah, because Smasher would be so angry that-
HULKAMATT: Listen, and thanks for your call, but Smasher Dynamo is not going to throw a Macho Men series challenge just to spite anyone. That makes no sense!
THE GOOG: Plus, it's not even clear that if the W's won, that they'd stay in the Super-League. No one actually knows what would happen if the Macho Men lose.
HULKAMATT: Well, in that case, since Smasher would be able to make up the rules anyway, he could put the W's wherever he wants.
THE GOOG: I guess, but there's not much chance of the W's being put back in the Super-League in that case.
HULKAMATT: It doesn't make sense on any level! Besides, it's not happening. Let's see, we've got a call from Europe. Caller, you're on the air.
FOREVERBWFC: Hello, Matthew and the Goog, it's ForeverBWFC here, from Bolton.
HULKAMATT: What's happening?
FOREVERBWFC: I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to my finals series with the Kernels. But since I have your attention for the moment, I did have a question, how many substitutes per game are you allowed in baseball? And does it change if it's the finals?
HULKAMATT: What?
FOREVERBWFC: As you know, in league matches, a team only has three substitutes-
THE GOOG: In baseball, you can make as many substitutions as you want.
FOREVERBWFC: Are you sure? That doesn't sound right.
THE GOOG: I am sure.
FOREVERBWFC: I see, and the shorted stop? I am hearing about this masked shorted stop, and I don't have one. Should I have one?
HULKAMATT: How the gently caress does your team keeping beating mine? How is this happening? You don't even know the positions of the players? I've spent thousands of dollars on baseball memorabilia, and my team keeps getting beaten by the W's? Thank you for your call, ForeverBWFC, I hope CFBalla murders your team!
THE GOOG: Thousands of dollars?
HULKAMATT: It adds up!
THE GOOG: If you buy hundreds of baseball cards, I guess.
HULKAMATT: There are hundreds more that I could have bought that I didn't!
THE GOOG: I assume that, when you die, your plan is to use them all as kindling to give yourself a viking funeral.
HULKAMATT: At least it will be exciting. Okay, looks like we have time for one more call. You're on the air.
MITCH: This is Mitch, from Brooklyn, and I was watching Myth-
THE GOOG: Nope!
HULKAMATT: Okay, that will do it for us today, here on Super-League Observer Live! We'll be back tomorrow.

Injury Report

Mitchell Kernels
-None-

South Bolton Eazy W's
Wanderlei Bolton (SP) - Out for Season

CFBalla
ForeverBWFC

Interleague lineups! You need them! Get them to me in the next 24 hours.

Pick 'em: FINALS!
Pick the WINNER, NUMBER OF GAMES (best of seven), and SCORE OF FINAL GAME!
Mitchell Kernels vs. South Bolton Eazy W's

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Mitchell Kernels vs. South Bolton Eazy W's Kernels in 4 8-3

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kernels in 7, 6-3

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I feel like Daniel Cormier.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DannoMack posted:

I feel like Daniel Cormier.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Stardew Valley is important. I played it for 34 hours in my first week with the game until my left hand started cramping because of to much of the WASD controls...