Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I've never said they are a magic bullet, all I've ever said is that ideally the series would be 60% ovals to reflect their home markets national preference

people are just going to watch NASCAR ovals instead. trying to compete head-to-head at this stage is a death sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
but Indy races on ovals now and they are the highest rated broadcasts historically :confused:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

but Indy races on ovals now and they are the highest rated broadcasts historically :confused:

the finale in sonoma last year got nearly four times as many viewers as fontana the year prior. the second highest NBCSN broadcast in 2015 was tape-delayed coverage of mid-ohio.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I said historically, not 2015

and yes I know networks etc

if they find small growth in the road racing community, and they are fine with it and you guys are fine with it, cool deal :thumbsup:

but it's really sad that some of you assume I'm 100% clueless about racing in the US, I was born into dirt track racing, I've worked a crew at one of the biggest dirt races in the US and I know my poo poo

there's an untapped market that Indy isn't serving. they can if they want, if they don't want to, that's fine too.... all I suggest is a potential way they could serve it if they are interested

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i don't think you're clueless. i think you know too much for your own good. and i think you're too focused on your nostalgia for The Way Things Were instead of what needs to be done to make indycar a success today.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Indycar is successful today, they are growing, no? What makes you think I think they aren't on a path to success? Like I said, if this is the path they want, awesome. They could go a different direction if they want and find more success, that's all I'm saying. I talk to young modified guys today, and a full half of them want to make it to Indy, not Daytona.

Also if I can be morbid a bit, can I point out that the last race of 2015 and the second race of the 2001 NASCAR season both had phenomenal ratings?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

I talk to young modified guys today, and a full half of them want to make it to Indy, not Daytona.

Then they need to get their rear end out of that swamp hole you call a track and get in a real car. Goddamn.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

fairly certain CART's collapse had more to do with not having the one race on the calendar that actually matters

There was more to it than that. The series was fine financially/popularity wise until about 2000 or so.

That being said, this series resembles CART more than ever now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
CART died the second Montoya took the checkered at the 500 in 2000 and showed that CART's best could loving moonwalk all over the IRL regulars. At that point it just took a little bit of sponsor pressure to realize that the other 15 or whatever races each series ran were completely irrelevant(just like today!) and the only one that mattered was in May.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Then they need to get their rear end out of that swamp hole you call a track and get in a real car. Goddamn.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/15-year-old-tyler-dippel-chevrolet-win-nascar-kn-east-race-mobile

:confused:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wants to win in Indycars, runs NASCAR. mhmm

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"The top-level racing category in the country is rear-engined cars with wings & slicks which runs on different sized ovals & road courses. Let's ensure a steady stream of drivers going to the top category by mandating that all our lower categories are front-engined, do not have wings & run on mostly half-mile pavement & dirt ovals. Surely nothing will go wrong!"
- some goddamn idiots at USAC, circa mid-70's

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, it's not often that the stars align where you have the talent and backing to move up, plus it's just easier to go from mods to stock cars because they run hard clay and weigh similar, with similar power. Stewart Freisen, however, is crossing over to Outlaws because he's more on the open wheel spectrum.

Historically, OCFS has been home to eventual national level talent at a far higher rate than most tracks.

e- also I agree that banning rear engine sprinters and supermods in the 1970's was dumb

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

There was more to it than that. The series was fine financially/popularity wise until about 2000 or so.

That being said, this series resembles CART more than ever now.

that was like, four years after the split. so it existed for four years before the lack of the 500 caught up to them.

it's not bad that this series resembles CART, because CART immediately pre-split was great. resembling that would be amazing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dsriggs posted:

"The top-level racing category in the country is rear-engined cars with wings & slicks which runs on different sized ovals & road courses. Let's ensure a steady stream of drivers going to the top category by mandating that all our lower categories are front-engined, do not have wings & run on mostly half-mile pavement & dirt ovals. Surely nothing will go wrong!"
- some goddamn idiots at USAC, circa mid-70's

Are you seriously advocating for Silver Crown cars to run at Fontana?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oval races are good and fun, but not enough people go to them when Indycar runs. And if the argument is a Catch-22 of 'oval fans dont care cause you dont run enough of them', then its never going to happen because the series doesn't have the money to bankroll empty races so its kinda irrelevant.

This year alone, we lost 1 oval with an unmatched IndyCar history in Milwaukee and 1 with a strong IndyCar history in Fontana because not enough people showed up. Although Fontana the schedule most definitely hosed.

Anyway, if Phoenix has a good turn out this year and next year, maybe ISC looks at paying IndyCar for more races. If not? The oval count probably keeps goin down.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
working with ISC is the only way Indy races on ovals without their own investment

Peanut President posted:

the whole "sprint guys run small dirt tracks" argument is dumb anyway because two of the best road racers in recent American history are Tony and Gordon

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 16, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Oval races are good and fun, but not enough people go to them when Indycar runs. And if the argument is a Catch-22 of 'oval fans dont care cause you dont run enough of them', then its never going to happen because the series doesn't have the money to bankroll empty races so its kinda irrelevant.

This year alone, we lost 1 oval with an unmatched IndyCar history in Milwaukee and 1 with a strong IndyCar history in Fontana because not enough people showed up. Although Fontana the schedule most definitely hosed.

Anyway, if Phoenix has a good turn out this year and next year, maybe ISC looks at paying IndyCar for more races. If not? The oval count probably keeps goin down.

milwaukee needs to come back as soon as humanly possible

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Peanut President posted:

I'm advocating Silver Crowns to not be completely different to the division they're supposed to be a stepping stone towards. Basically, rear-engined 360 Chevys with wings & independent suspension on pavement miles & at least one road course, pls.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/127167-robin-miller-s-mailbag-for-march-16-presented-by-honda-racing-hpd?showall=1&limitstart=
The only choice nugget from Robin's mailbag is that Mark Miles is working on trying to get some races next year on NBC.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Points from the ongoing phone conference regarding Will's incident last weekend

• 50g hit according to chassis accelerometer
  • 30g average reading by ear accelerometers
  • Will complained about neck pain/headache after his crash in FP1 on Friday, that put him in the concussion protocol
  • Will's neck pain/headaches got worse on Saturday, this is what ultimately caused him to fail the SCAT concussion test and couldn't race on Sunday
  • Turns out Will was suffering from effects of a lingering inner-ear infection

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 16, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Here's the thing and the dirty little secret about American Championship Car Racing.

Outside of the Indy 500? It has never had a consistent national following and any events to even remotely match the "500" in terms of ratings or prestige.

NASCAR? Has and always has had that sort of national following. The ratings for CART and the IRL were always historically miserable when compared to Cup. (again, save for the "500")

It is indeed irrelevant where they race at this point because the IndyCar Series fanbase is very much niche.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Bentai posted:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/127167-robin-miller-s-mailbag-for-march-16-presented-by-honda-racing-hpd?showall=1&limitstart=
The only choice nugget from Robin's mailbag is that Mark Miles is working on trying to get some races next year on NBC.

The other thing I saw in there (that was terribly disappointing) was that it sounds like Milwaukee is being slowly dismantled. It's nearby and I only went once, so it's my fault :(

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They took the stands down a few days ago.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dixon was the fastest at Barber.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

NASCAR? Has and always has had that sort of national following. The ratings for CART and the IRL were always historically miserable when compared to Cup. (again, save for the "500")

Citation needed. Pretty sure NASCAR used to be confined to the south.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Peanut President posted:

Insert quad-oval in the tri-oval infield, problem solved.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Citation needed. Pretty sure NASCAR used to be confined to the south.

Will have to find it from my bud on twitter who has the stats on it.

Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New England all had stock car scenes. Guys like Bodine, Kulwicki and Richmond predate guys like Jeff Gordon in terms of coming into the sport.

Daytona, Talladega, World 600 and Darlington were big events for not just stock car fans, but racing fans alike. Lot of the USAC (now Indy) talent would show up at Daytona and Talladega for example.

ESPN, Turner Sports, CBS and ABC also really helped them reach a national audience. Said national audience became loyal, reliable fans that would tune in on a weekly basis.

It's not just an "oval" thing, it's more so how NASCAR and it's partners were infinitely more better at promoting the sport from a week to week basis versus CART/USAC/IRL.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what about CART in the early 90s? i don't think the reigning F1 champion was attracted by a series that was the 500 and little else

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

what about CART in the early 90s? i don't think the reigning F1 champion was attracted by a series that was the 500 and little else

Emmo winning in 89 made the "500" a global event, and thus made the series popular globally in that regard.

Also the '92 "finish" was a pop culture foot note at the time.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Will have to find it from my bud on twitter who has the stats on it.

Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New England all had stock car scenes. Guys like Bodine, Kulwicki and Richmond predate guys like Jeff Gordon in terms of coming into the sport.

Daytona, Talladega, World 600 and Darlington were big events for not just stock car fans, but racing fans alike. Lot of the USAC (now Indy) talent would show up at Daytona and Talladega for example.

ESPN, Turner Sports, CBS and ABC also really helped them reach a national audience. Said national audience became loyal, reliable fans that would tune in on a weekly basis.

It's not just an "oval" thing, it's more so how NASCAR and it's partners were infinitely more better at promoting the sport from a week to week basis versus CART/USAC/IRL.

Can't speak for the others but Pennsylvania is a stronghold for sprint cars. Pocono was designed with Indycar's in mind and Langhorne was a classic USAC track. Not saying stock cars aren't popular here, but open wheel has firm roots.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

It should be noted too that even in the CART/Indycar heyday oval attendance had started to drop relative to street circuits.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
People don't want to spend all weekend driving to bumfuck nowhere to see indycars on an oval. However, people from bumfuck nowhere will drive into the city to see street races.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

Can't speak for the others but Pennsylvania is a stronghold for sprint cars. Pocono was designed with Indycar's in mind and Langhorne was a classic USAC track. Not saying stock cars aren't popular here, but open wheel has firm roots.

Langhorne, Reading and Nazareth are all old modified tracks that hosted NASCAR events.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

People don't want to spend all weekend driving to bumfuck nowhere to see indycars on an oval. However, people from bumfuck nowhere will drive into the city to see street races.

this kind of makes sense given the propensity for suburbanites to flood into downtown pittsburgh and take all the god drat street parking just because there's a god drat skating rink there but really ovals are such a better IRL viewing experience than circuits, in my opinion

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My personal happy place for IndyCar watching is the T1 stands at Long Beach. But I've never been to Indy on raceday...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

My personal happy place for IndyCar watching is the T1 stands at Long Beach.

It's all about being under the King Taco bridge, son.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The bottom line with American Championship Car Racing is that unlike Cup or F1? They never found a way to solely organize themselves into one faction and have one "unifying" voice ever since Tony Hulman died.

That is...until 2008.

Now to be fair? CART did a fantastic job with promoting and sanctioning the series events outside of the Indy 500, and IMS/USAC did a very good job promoting the "500" itself to a national audience. But I don't know, for whatever reason, the Ovals that were very popular during the USAC days? (Langhorne, Trenton, Ontario, Texas World, etc) all began to not exist after 1981 or so. Not to mention Atlanta failing and CART owners getting pissed off at Doc Mattoli for not upgrading the track at Pocono.

On the flipside, events like Mid Ohio, Cleveland, Portland, Road America, Laguna Seca, Toronto and Vancouver all seemed to have staying power well over 20 years or so. Also taking over former F1 events in the form of Long Beach and Belle Isle have also proved to have staying power for CART/IRL/ICS for whatever reason. Hell it's STILL happening with circuits like Barber, and St. Pete.

It can also be argued that the lack of ovals on the schedule? Is not from a lack of trying in the past. Think of all the SMI ovals that the IRL used to go. Think of how Pikes Peak, Nashville and Gateway are just empty right now. CART was responsible for having Homestead, Fontana, Nazareth (rebuilt that is), Rockingham (UK), Eurospeedway, Twin Ring Motegi and Rio all on the schedule to show case :911: oval racing...yet none of them are hosting IndyCar for what ever reason.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Langhorne, Reading and Nazareth are all old modified tracks that hosted NASCAR events.

Shame on me for forgetting Nazareth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

be nice wicka posted:

this kind of makes sense given the propensity for suburbanites to flood into downtown pittsburgh and take all the god drat street parking just because there's a god drat skating rink there but really ovals are such a better IRL viewing experience than circuits, in my opinion

I like to watch ovals too and you can see more live (grandstand 2 at belle isle has so many jersey barriers around kinks that you can see 100ft of actual pavement) but when like 15k people show up they're going to go under.

• Locked thread