Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Months

quote:

This troper emits low-grade sarcasm the way some people breathe. Odd euphemisms (like comparing my sarcasm to pandas not having sex, or in layman's terms perfectly natural) are par for the course. I'm known to spend months at a time looking in the mirror and saying, "I should really shave." And, of course, I've occasionally dabbled in acting. As for other Bunny Ears Lawyers around me, well, I'm an animation student at an art school in the Pacific Northwest. It's only natural that all my peers and teachers should be a little weird.

Military

quote:

This troper's entire military unit is composed of essentially Bunny Ears Airmen. Uniform standards are ignored, as are plenty of regulations regarding conduct. Airmen have been known to bring their pets into secure areas, enlisted men, NCOs and officers treat each other as equals, and this troper recently witnessed a sergeant playing handball in a room full of rather expensive communications equipment. The officers tolerate their tomfoolery because, frankly, they're the best at what they do.

Mundane

quote:

This troper is a Bunny Ears Office Administrator. She keeps toys on her desk, has a handmade wooden candy dispenser on the windowsill, and stores important CD-ROMs inside a storage unit designed to look like a set of books. Her work attire invariably consists of dress slacks and a nice shirt, plus cotton socks and running shoes. She periodically wears an eyepatch while working (actually for medical reasons, but most people don't know that) and once teamed up with her boss's wife to wrap every. single. item. in his office in newspaper for April Fool's Day. There must be a can of something carbonated and caffeinated within reach at all times, and usually it's found on a trivet bearing the image of Sherlock Holmes. Her immediate supervisor adores her, but the rest of the higher-ups find her a mix of aggravating and endearing. But the reason she gets away with all of it? They literally can't replace her. She does the work of six people, handling everything from mundane secretarial work to tech support to public relations to website administration. She's taken all of three sick days in the course of four years and, because of the peculiar situation in which she was hired and the additional duties she's been forced to shoulder, is the only person in the entire world who knows how to do her job. She is Super Secretary.

Metal

quote:

This troper knows a semi-literal Bunny Ears Lawyer in the form of a friend who's, yes, a laywer and who also occasionally cosplays. I've been instructed to ask for 'the otaku' if I'm trying to call her up at work. Also, plenty of the other lawyers this troper met while interning at a firm would probably qualify, particularly the chain-smoking, metal-loving, ever-cursing, Lamborghini-driving Criminal Lawyer and the football mad lawyers who spent all of two hours trying to persuade this troper to root for their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Those disc shooters are really accurate but so slow. Stdh: hitting someone on the run.

"How can you shoot womenandchildren?"
"Easy, you don't lead them as much."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Holy poo poo I can't get over how wacky and original all these people are!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

kimbo305 posted:

Those disc shooters are really accurate but so slow. Stdh: hitting someone on the run.

That's why wife gave husband the disk shooter.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

No, that was absolutely the case and it was great.

e:

What I never get about these is why are they always labeled Husband/Wife or whatever. Why wouldn't you just use the actual names?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Joey Freshwater posted:

What I never get about these is why are they always labeled Husband/Wife or whatever. Why wouldn't you just use the actual names?

Joey Freshwater posted:

God damned millennials getting married and making everything cutesy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I loving hate troopers so much. I thought they were all in high school, which would be excusable, but nope, some mention college, and others mention real jobs. gently caress.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

I loving hate troopers so much. I thought they were all in high school, which would be excusable, but nope, some mention college, and others mention real jobs. gently caress.

"This troper works a desk job and calls his boss but her first name and gets to take lunch whenever he feels like it. I guess you could say he's a real Oshimina Okusaki Super Football Campion!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ElGroucho posted:

"This troper works a desk job and calls his boss but her first name and gets to take lunch whenever he feels like it. I guess you could say he's a real Oshimina Okusaki Super Football Campion!

People don't call their boss (or their boss's boss, ad infinitum) by their first name? Outside of the military or hospitals, I can't think of anywhere that "Dr/Mr/Ms Stodgypants" is expected.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Moon Slayer posted:

Holy poo poo I can't get over how wacky and original all these people are!

God wouldn't you just LOVE to work with the office administrator who thinks no-one else on the planet can do their job. Half of them probably only keep their job because their employers are probably scared they'll get sued for firing someone with autism. Or they're under those schemes where the government pays their wages to keep them off the streets.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I had to block a couple on Facebook who called each other hubby and wifey. They'd totally do the stupid nerf gun poo poo. But there's so much drama between the two of them it'd take their own thread to describe it all.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

flosofl posted:

People don't call their boss (or their boss's boss, ad infinitum) by their first name? Outside of the military or hospitals, I can't think of anywhere that "Dr/Mr/Ms Stodgypants" is expected.

He's saying that using your boss's first name and having some latitude to eat lunch whenever you feel like it are normal aspects of any job where you don't have to wear a nametag - not indicators of untouchable uber-worker status. Tropers are just that out of touch.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I had to block a couple on Facebook who called each other hubby and wifey. They'd totally do the stupid nerf gun poo poo. But there's so much drama between the two of them it'd take their own thread to describe it all.

I think there's a big difference between couples who do fun, silly things and couples who do fun, silly things and make sure everybody knows they did them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jay Rust posted:

Whoa huge slam on the military out of nowhere.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This trooper has graduated top of his class in the Navy Seals, and has been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and has over 300 confirmed kills. He is trained in gorilla warfare and is the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Autocorrect :(

I do not in fact hate troopers, in fact I'm married to a Marine, a.k.a. "Hubby". He got expelled from college for punching his professor

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

My favourite Iron Maiden song is "The Troper"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Paladinus posted:

This trooper has graduated top of his class in the Navy Seals, and has been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and has over 300 confirmed kills. He is trained in gorilla warfare and is the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.

You forgot the "twist" that these things usually have, like "this trooper has graduated top of his class in the Navy Seals, and has been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and has over 300 confirmed kills. He is trained in gorilla warfare and is the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. However, despite this, he still can't do long division, is afraid of guinea pigs, and still can't focus on a task for more than ten minutes before getting bored or distracted due to the rapid functioning of their mind."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
^^^^^

That's a little too good

I'm convinced most of these are just you guys trolling that website.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Pretty sure they shut TroperTales down several years ago, so this is all archived content. This thread's not to blame.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

First Brilliant But Lazy and now Bunny Ears Lawyer. How many other tropes have troper tales that are just I'M SO WEIRD BUT GOOD AT THINGS!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
A 'top sniper' that can't focus for more than 10 minutes.

k

e: poo poo I was duped

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

jodai posted:

I think there's a big difference between couples who do fun, silly things and couples who do fun, silly things and make sure everybody knows they did them.

be not like the Pharisees

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I finally bothered to look up what Bunny Ears Lawyer was on tvtropes and barely made it two paragraphs in. That website has become a den of autism. They have a goddamn page for everything that's ever been written through some necessity to label and subdivide all pop culture.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

bartlebee posted:

I finally bothered to look up what Bunny Ears Lawyer was on tvtropes and barely made it two paragraphs in. That website has become a den of autism. They have a goddamn page for everything that's ever been written through some necessity to label and subdivide all pop culture.

"Has become" implies that was ever not the case.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No lie an autistic dude first told me about TVTropes well over ten years ago but barely attempted to explain what the gently caress it was, so I never bothered to check it out so my own laziness stopped a young, impressionable me from becoming a troper.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I only like TVTropes for the specific media pages. Occasionally, there's stuff in there I missed when watching a show.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Leavemywife posted:

I only like TVTropes for the specific media pages. Occasionally, there's stuff in there I missed when watching a show.

I like their pages on video game tropes mostly because it's kind of interesting from a game design perspective. Unless it's for JRPG's or visual novels (how are those even considered games), then it's the same old poo poo.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
haven't seen this one before

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I hate Mr. Gallagher so loving much.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Smithsonian Institution. Smithsonian Institute.

metztli has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Tetracube posted:

haven't seen this one before

I half believe this, if only because I had to deal with someone who showed up at the museum convinced he had evidence of brain-eating worms that caused the end-Permian extinction. His "proof" was of course a featureless slab of rock, and he was... well, I really hope he got help.

The obvious fakery is that no curator would bother to respond to someone like that. They would send a clueless grad student like me.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Tardigrade posted:

I half believe this, if only because I had to deal with someone who showed up at the museum convinced he had evidence of brain-eating worms that caused the end-Permian extinction. His "proof" was of course a featureless slab of rock, and he was... well, I really hope he got help.

The obvious fakery is that no curator would bother to respond to someone like that. They would send a clueless grad student like me.

According to Snopes, a grad student originally wrote it as a joke back in the 90s, and it's been pedaled around as real since then. I'm guessing he had similar experiences as you.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Why do people bother with those stupid as poo poo fake letters. Why? Do you earn some sort of internet points for them?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Why do people bother with those stupid as poo poo fake letters. Why? Do you earn some sort of internet points for them?

Tardigrade posted:

I half believe this

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
jokes_you_weren't_meant_to_believe_happened.jpg meets goons.txt

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I just wanted to assure all of you that different bands play different venues and put on different types of shows.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

That's a lot of effort for a mediocre poop joke.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Black

quote:

This Troper has a golden brown light caramel complexion under the Los Angeles sun, But I'm very fair skin otherwise. My dad folks are creole, but most of my fam consists of fair skin blacks. I have loads of stories to tell but I'll keep it brief..
One of my friends from college is use to seeing me with this light honey skin tone. I tell her that I'll be in Savannah Georgia for the winter and she should come visit me since she'll be in Atlanta. Eventually I went to Atlanta to see her instead so we could hang out. We eventually meet up at a restaurant and she see's me and looks at me weird. She asks "What's happening to you??", I said what do you mean? She says my skin has lightened up and that she thought I was "sick". I laughed and told her that my tan had faded and this was my natural skin tone which is drat near white. For the rest of that day she had a very crappy disposition towards me for the rest of the evening. Especially when she started introducing me to her friends, and they started to kinda/sorta like me.. After a very awkward and uncomfortable goodbye I never heard from her again.
But wait I can go further back to college, when I was a active model myself. a dark skinned model once told me why was I trying to act black. wasn't that hurting my chances for making it in the field. I'm like...HUH?!...I said I am black both my parents are black. she then said if I was you I would say I was biracial or multiracial (for those who don't know there's a lot of BLACK light skin models who put down biracial, and multiracial down on their resumes so they could get broader casting opportunities). I told her I'm not gonna represent something I'm not. she got visibly frustrated by this..and proceeded to call me a fool.
Something similar happened to me at my business. Years ago at work (i run a modeling agency...but nothing too big), two Black models of mine somehow got into a conversation about family heritage with me. One is also light-skinned. The other model is dark-skinned. The darker model was extremely irritated by the fact that neither I nor the other light-skinned model were claiming White heritage. [You might be familiar with the sickness where Black people are quick to emphasize any non-Black ancestry they might have from 20 generations back. Another part of the denatured person’s eternal quest to distance themselves from Blackness.] Anyways it was a bizarre moment when the third coworker angrily told us, “You two know you’ve got White blood! What’s with all this Black stuff?!!” I calmly told this person that I had no interest in claiming or celebrating any connection whatsoever I MIGHT have to rapists and former slave masters. It was interesting that this angry person had just told us all about how she was 1/8th Irish, 1/8th German, 1/16th Cherokee, etc., etc. It occurred to us later that this person was angry because her appearance didn’t reflect all this non-Black heritage that she claimed to have. It also seemed that she was annoyed with us because (by embracing total identification with our Black ancestors) we were throwing away the “opportunity” that she didn’t have.
I had a white teacher tell me I had "nice good hair" for a black girl ( My hair is silky, black, long, and naturally wavy ). I was just 7 at the time but I told my mom. The teacher got cussed out 6 ways from Sunday.

Caramel

quote:

This troper and her sister have light skin tones and long hair. The two questions that we frequently hear are A)Are you twins?(which is SO OBVIOUS it's ridiculous) and B)What are you mixed with?. This troper, whose mother is black(although very light compared to her dark parents) and whose father is black(from what i'm told), has had to field off many questions as to what other ethnicity I am. This troper doesn't exactly know whether to describe herself as light skin or not actually. Most dark skinned friends have considered me light-skinned, one even claiming I looked more like a "dirty mexican" than a black person, while a light skinned friend said I was too dark to participate in "Michael Jackson Day"(where light skin people take the day off to celebrate the day Michael Jackson turned white-he was joking).I've even had two close friends arguing over whether I was considered dark or light. I've always leaned more towards carmel.
Father was kinda caramel by himself, and I'm white to the point of having freckles, but I consider myself to be black, simply because almost everything else in me is inherited from black genes. Hair, eyes, breasts... No, not rear end. I'm creepy at this place, because I have large hips, but flat rear end.

Jive

quote:

An interesting addendum to this discussion; it seems But Not Too Black also applies to attitudes as well as skin color. For instance, this troper has noticed people warm up considerably when he's using standard jive talk, like "Stop trippin'", or "Holla back". But...once you start getting into Gangsta rap lingo like "Screw these hos" folks tend to stiffen a little. (Personally, I'd stiffen too, but anyway...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Things that didn't happen: any of these people having ever met a black person.

• Locked thread