Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Your wrong :colbert:

In fairness, while I'm not a fan of ANH I do have to admit it's still miles above Extraordinary X-Men. Like I could still see ANH growing on me while EXM can't really be salvaged other than just changing writers.

Also, regarding last week's All New Wolverine, I like how Laura and Bellona's plan relied on both of them wearing very long wigs over their very long hair and just hoping the wigs didn't fall off during all the jumping around, explosions, getting shot, etc. Like I'm not complaining about realism in my comicbook about the teenage clone of a 100 year old Canadian with claws and her sister-clones, but without comics logic that would have been a ridiculously stupid plan :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

Your wrong :colbert:

In fairness, while I'm not a fan of ANH I do have to admit it's still miles above Extraordinary X-Men. Like I could still see ANH growing on me while EXM can't really be salvaged other than just changing writers.

Also, regarding last week's All New Wolverine, I like how Laura and Bellona's plan relied on both of them wearing very long wigs over their very long hair and just hoping the wigs didn't fall off during all the jumping around, explosions, getting shot, etc. Like I'm not complaining about realism in my comicbook about the teenage clone of a 100 year old Canadian with claws and her sister-clones, but without comics logic that would have been a ridiculously stupid plan :v:.

To be fair, Bellona's wig was being kept on by her/Laura's mask. And Laura has a healing factor, so she could have cut her hair and it just grew back in the intervening time.

Where's my no-prize, Marvel?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Healing factors shouldn't affect your hair. Unless it also means you permanently drag queen nails on your hand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Healing factors shouldn't affect your hair. Unless it also means you permanently drag queen nails on your hand.

Larry Hama once stated that Logan's healing factor always grew his hair back the same.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Larry Hama once stated that Logan's healing factor always grew his hair back the same.

The best power defining.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

it's unfortunately canon

Laura's hair always grows back to its current length

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's funny with Logan, because his hair is funny, with Laura it's kinda sad, because it's a very average haircut, and maybe she doesn't want bangs.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, Bellona's wig was being kept on by her/Laura's mask. And Laura has a healing factor, so she could have cut her hair and it just grew back in the intervening time.

Where's my no-prize, Marvel?

:buddy: looks like my efforts to nitpick Marvel backfired on me.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah as Blockhouse mentioned, there are a few scenes of Laura getting burned/blown up badly enough to totally get rid of her hair and it regrows to the same length it always is within a few seconds. All of the healing factor characters basically have an optimal hair length the healing factor decided should be their natural length at all times.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's how Saiyan hair works. Hmm...that explains why their healing factor keeps getting more and more ridiculous over time, every near death injury makes them stronger.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, a thing I just learned: Chris Claremont is the one ultimately responsible for that time Cyclops convinced a bunch of Sentinels to fight the sun. :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, a thing I just learned: Chris Claremont is the one ultimately responsible for that time Cyclops convinced a bunch of Sentinels to fight the sun. :allears:

Yea, and how he origonally intended that it be Gambit and Kitty. Also the love of Kitty's life is not Colossus, or Bobby, or even Illyana its Rachael

The most recent Jay and Miles X-plain the X-men has a fantastic interview with Claremont.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, and how he origonally intended that it be Gambit and Kitty. Also the love of Kitty's life is not Colossus, or Bobby, or even Illyana its Rachael

The most recent Jay and Miles X-plain the X-men has a fantastic interview with Claremont.
:agreed:

Of course that could be simplified that down to 'Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men is fantastic'.

Everyone who likes X-Men should listen to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

:agreed:

Of course that could be simplified that down to 'Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men is fantastic'.

Everyone who likes X-Men should listen to it.

This is true, they've had some other good interviews. They totally read my letter to Kieron Gillian!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I should make it my new Marvel Heroes playing podcast

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
...man, now I gotta reread X-Men: The End.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No. No you don't.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Nah, now I'm kind of curious about some things he brought up in there.

I'm surprised to hear him say that Kitty/Rachel was supposed to be a thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That isn't that surprising, the gambit thing was tho. Also his reasoning for why was a little confusing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

Nah, now I'm kind of curious about some things he brought up in there.

I'm surprised to hear him say that Kitty/Rachel was supposed to be a thing.

From what is said, it sounds like its more obvious in Excalibur than anything else. Though I honestly want to know why they have such subtext with her and Illyana.

Blockhouse posted:

I should make it my new Marvel Heroes playing podcast

It's good. Now with a hundred episodes behind them there's a lot of content. Only dud i'd say is the one with a guy who worked on X-men Evolution before it went to air. They want to talk about a bunch of stuff in the show, and he seems to want to pass credit for everything onto other people.

Ann Nocenti is pretty amusing in her episode. They also interview G Willow Wilson. Oh and the episode where they play the old X-men RPG game is brilliant, as Miles plays Rogue and its beyond perfect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It's good. Now with a hundred episodes behind them there's a lot of content. Only dud i'd say is the one with a guy who worked on X-men Evolution before it went to air. They want to talk about a bunch of stuff in the show, and he seems to want to pass credit for everything onto other people.

Was that the guy who kept calling Chris Claremont "Chris Claremount"? :v:

I haven't listened to the Claremont interview one yet. I will have to do so. What's the general tone of it? My one criticism of the podcast (whether it's fair or not) is that they've always seemed like they're a bit too much in awe of Claremont as a writer.

Do they ask him about Storm: The Arena?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that the guy who kept calling Chris Claremont "Chris Claremount"? :v:

I haven't listened to the Claremont interview one yet. I will have to do so. What's the general tone of it? My one criticism of the podcast (whether it's fair or not) is that they've always seemed like they're a bit too much in awe of Claremont as a writer.

Do they ask him about Storm: The Arena?

It's very respectful, but not outright reverential. It's not overly formal, though, which I think is good. I don't think Storm: The Arena came up, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, mostly they just let Claremont talk, and Claremont's getting on in years, so he's prone to long pauses.

twistedmentat posted:

From what is said, it sounds like its more obvious in Excalibur than anything else. Though I honestly want to know why they have such subtext with her and Illyana.

Claremont's generally a subtext engine, but the general thing people tend to point to is that any time Illyana was off the board for whatever reason, her soulsword and armor went to Kitty. It's easy to characterize literal soul ownership as more of a romantic than a platonic thing.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also his reasoning for why was a little confusing.

For Kitty/Rachel? I could kind of see where he was going with that, from back in the day on Excalibur, but Claremont sounded downright tranquilized throughout most of the podcast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I haven't read Excalibur for a while but I was probably too naive to get the subtext, seems like a reason to go back and read it. I seem to remember at some point they were connecting Rachel and Nightcrawler but then backed off it, but this was well past the storylines that Claremont established and Alan Davis rolled with (where Nightcrawler would've been too obsessed with Meggan to bother with anyone else)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's very respectful, but not outright reverential. It's not overly formal, though, which I think is good. I don't think Storm: The Arena came up, though.

Well, I must give it a listen in any case. It's a pretty big coup for them, isn't it? I know they've had a number of fairly big names on before (Busiek is probably the biggest, but they've also had the aforementioned G. Willow Wilson and Dennis Hopeless among others) but I think where X-Men is concerned getting Claremont on is a bigger deal in some ways than getting Stan Lee would be.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 16, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I must give it a listen in any case. It's a pretty big coup for them, isn't it? I know they've had a number of fairly big names on before (Busiek is probably the biggest, but they've also had the aforementioned G. Willow Wilson and Dennis Hopeless among others) but I think where X-Men is concerned getting Claremont on is a bigger deal in some ways than getting Stan Lee would be.

Claremont is probably more important to the popularity of X-men than Stan Lee.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well sure. Kirby and Lee pretty much put the X-men in the "well that didn't work" pile after their run.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And it took Marvel half a century to understand the wisdom of that and pivot back to the Inhumans. :doh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

On the whole, the x-men experiment was a failure.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While I've been giving Extraordinary X-men a pass because it's hey X-men, plus its got Wolverine on a team and the only book with Magik in it, but this issue is, not bad at all.

Moon Knight Horsemen too.

Also, like that Illyana they're keeping that Strange and Illyana are friends, and that she's embracing her magical abilities as much as her mutant abilities.

All New X-men, making Blob and Toad into legitimate threats.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 17, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh.

Finally caught up to Extraordinary and it's...not that bad? I mean, I can totally see people getting bored with it and peacing out, but I'd been expecting a much bigger disaster from all the horror stories I'd been hearing. It's mostly just aimless, but if you really like the characters then it's not the worst thing to read.

(All-New is much, much better though)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

On the whole, the x-men experiment was a failure.

Experimental X-Men

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Four Score posted:

Experimental X-Men

X-permintal X-men

BrianWilly posted:

Huh.

Finally caught up to Extraordinary and it's...not that bad? I mean, I can totally see people getting bored with it and peacing out, but I'd been expecting a much bigger disaster from all the horror stories I'd been hearing. It's mostly just aimless, but if you really like the characters then it's not the worst thing to read.

(All-New is much, much better though)

I feel like if you read it all back to back, it would probably feel better paced. But i'm legit excited about the Apocalypse Wars storyline.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah today's issue was pretty fun. Hoping this starts a new trend.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, another thing I learned from Jay & Miles is that there's a team of clone X-Men (specifically Cyclops, Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Storm, & Wolverine) tooling around in outer space, that have never appeared again. Someone should totally do something with that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No info http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-teases-death-x-fall-2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All the X-Men are dying. Literally all of them. Mutants are dead, long live Inhumans.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We can only hope.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The blood spatter is a pretty big clue to who they're killing off (spoilers)

RIP Adam the X-treme :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Please let it be scott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's already been dead for like 4 months.

• Locked thread