Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

dublish posted:

Can't wait for the hundred different mods that have SS divisions made of special snowflake SS regiments with special snowflake SS stats.

E: Actually now I really want a mod that requires Germany to use a percentage of its factories to produce subpar SS units based on how strong the Nazi party is.

There already is an SS division template in the game. It's a motorized/mechanzied infantry division, which is pretty much historically accurate for the Waffen-SS, and many of their divisions particular the ones created later in the war were the first to get their hands on new equipment. The Wehrmacht guys mostly had to depend on boots, bikes and horses. Meanwhile casualties caused alot of German infantry divisions to be reorganized into weaker divisions (less men, less heavy weaponry), and usually renamed "grenadiers" or something to boost morale and gloss over that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

cool and good posted:

Does this happen often? It is awesome

:eyepop:

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, not using an autoclicker. I guess my rad clicking skillz are indistinguishable from a bot. :smug:

The measure are not that aggressive that a mere human would be caught by just clicking really fast, so something must be up if it didn't safe. Check back later and see where you are at.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I know this is paradox and all, but I know most people in here play 4x games. I didn't think the new MOO was terrible, but I've stumbled into a key for GC3. Is it worth installing and playing or no?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

I know this is paradox and all, but I know most people in here play 4x games. I didn't think the new MOO was terrible, but I've stumbled into a key for GC3. Is it worth installing and playing or no?

Did you play a bunch of GC2? Nothing meaningful has changed. If you didn't GC2 (and thus by extension 3) was kind of The 4X in the Dark Times of 4X. It's definitely worth a shot, but by this time it's kinda a mess in terms of unnecessary complexity compared to more modern 4X innovations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quill commented on something I hope paradox addresses. At one point he passes up an anomaly because it had a high failure chance then asked if his empire will have a list of skipped projects and the answer was no, you just have to remember which was which and hunt them down on the map. If you have dozens of missions you are waiting for the right scientist to try it's going to be very hard to keep track of. A little "known anomalies" tab would be very handy, specially if it listed level or special traits needed.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Orv posted:

Did you play a bunch of GC2? Nothing meaningful has changed. If you didn't GC2 (and thus by extension 3) was kind of The 4X in the Dark Times of 4X. It's definitely worth a shot, but by this time it's kinda a mess in terms of unnecessary complexity compared to more modern 4X innovations.

It's also strangely lifeless despite having a wealth of content. It's difficult to explain, but somehow GC just gets the spirit of the game slightly wrong and holy moly does it come out in spades.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I never had that problem with it honestly. It's not like Endless Space where it's just, sterile.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't It also made by an insane libertarian mra who got away with a bunch of sexual harassment and abuse because "it's my company you can leave if you don't want to be sexually harassed" among other extremely scummy poo poo?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Quill commented on something I hope paradox addresses. At one point he passes up an anomaly because it had a high failure chance then asked if his empire will have a list of skipped projects and the answer was no, you just have to remember which was which and hunt them down on the map. If you have dozens of missions you are waiting for the right scientist to try it's going to be very hard to keep track of. A little "known anomalies" tab would be very handy, specially if it listed level or special traits needed.

Maybe a way to highlight them when you zoom out on the map? Kind of like how Civilization does the little resource blurps on tiles.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I own GalCiv 2 something something but I've never actually played it, if I want to play a space 4X I'm perfectly happy just playing Distant Worlds again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't It also made by an insane libertarian mra who got away with a bunch of sexual harassment and abuse because "it's my company you can leave if you don't want to be sexually harassed" among other extremely scummy poo poo?

Yeah, but he's got a bunch of presumably normal human beings under him that need a paycheck and he's already rich as poo poo on a relative scale and crazy as hell on any scale, so not buying the game doesn't really teach him anything.

To be clear you shouldn't buy GC3 because it's not a meaningful improvement over 2 and the DLC scheme for it is predatory as hell.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Baronjutter posted:

She was just a disgruntled former employee who stole a company laptop, definitely not someone who was pressured to drop a hostile work environment claim :qqsay:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So if I wanted to play a 4x, and not a grand strategy game until Stellaris is out, whats the best option right now?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

So if I wanted to play a 4x, and not a grand strategy game until Stellaris is out, whats the best option right now?

Do you like fairly deep empire building that isn't just Civ 5? Endless Legends is really good for that, but has lackluster combat. Do you want HoMM-ish tactical combat but don't care about the empire building as much, Age of Wonders 3 has the combat on lock. Do you want to spiral into a hellhole of terrible UI and the complexity of a small scale nuclear operation? Distant Worlds exists.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Orv posted:

Do you want to spiral into a hellhole of terrible UI and the complexity of a small scale nuclear operation? Distant Worlds exists.

Also Dominions 4, if you want the fantasy equivalent with decent multiplayer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
With the caveats that Distant Worlds is SP only and Dominions is only good in faux-PBEM MP format.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't really do MP in 4x, maybe just with a single friend against AI. Sounds like I might give distant worlds a go.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

:eyepop:

Looks like you have a fan, Johan.

I wasnt there, that was Henrik

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Baronjutter posted:

You see icons on the map that can be clicked now though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

You see icons on the map that can be clicked now though.

That's perfect!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zotix posted:

yeah sure. like others have said, it's basically gc2 with some minor tweaks (some things missing, some things new, mostly the same thing in a new package)

i personally thought it was a disappointingly lackluster sequel, but ive played 96 hours worth bc it's still fun. i might play some now, in fact, since im so hype for stellaris. like, uh.. how much for alpha/beta access?? ill pay double retail :bigtran:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zotix posted:

I don't really do MP in 4x, maybe just with a single friend against AI. Sounds like I might give distant worlds a go.

I love Distant Worlds but you should really look before you leap, it's not for everyone. Larry Monte has some nice videos that show it off.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was not being hyperbolic.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

uPen posted:

I love Distant Worlds but you should really look before you leap, it's not for everyone. Larry Monte has some nice videos that show it off.
I tried it. loving loved the idea of it. But I had no idea what was going on, and didn't really get the inclination to learn while I was playing.

It's a bit like Dwarf Fortress in that respect. Great, but clearly not for me.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Alternatively, if Distant Worlds is a little too plebian for you, Aurora is a little more in depth and free!

http://aurora2.pentarch.org

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cool and good posted:

Does this happen often? It is awesome

Is that a gutter crown Bavaria or what's going on there?

Omnicarus posted:

Alternatively, if Distant Worlds is a little too plebian for you, Aurora is a little more in depth and free!

http://aurora2.pentarch.org

Just make sure you don't do it on an old-rear end laptop. I wanted to try it out yesterday actually and if you don't have at least 1024 vertical resolution you won't be able to see half the menu.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I just lost 1 million pops, a quarter of my population, in like 6 years to cholera. This is insane

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

pdxjohan posted:

I wasnt there, that was Henrik

My bad - serves me right for trying to rush out a reply while on the subway.

tooterfish posted:

I tried it. loving loved the idea of it. But I had no idea what was going on, and didn't really get the inclination to learn while I was playing.

It's a bit like Dwarf Fortress in that respect. Great, but clearly not for me.
I found I really didn't need to know what I was doing to play the game. I started a few early games, hosed around to get a hang of the mechanics and it just turned into something that you learn gradually. And really you can just let the game play itself if you want, most games I don't even bother designing my own ships and the game can be set up to give you as much or as little advice and assistance as you want.

That said, the game is pretty impenetrable when you're first starting out so I can see how it would be daunting. But I've found it's either DW, some 20 year old game or nothing when it comes to scratching a 4X itch.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Watched some of the 40 minute Stellaris video. Having everything just be procedurally generated based off a random combination of sliders and traits seems really souless and boring. I would much prefer having 5-10 solid races that actually have unique gameplay mechanics/playstyles. I can't imagine it's going to take very long before the novelty of seeing the different portraits where off, and meeting another empire just becomes a quick analysis of which random traits they ended up with. People throw around the word "sterile" a lot of Endless Space, but this seems to fit that bill much more so. Admittedly I still have a good 25 minutes of the video to watch, so hopefully the rest of the gameplay is really interesting or deep.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Megasabin posted:

Watched some of the 40 minute Stellaris video. Having everything just be procedurally generated based off a random combination of sliders and traits seems really souless and boring. I would much prefer having 5-10 solid races that actually have unique gameplay mechanics/playstyles. I can't imagine it's going to take very long before the novelty of seeing the different portraits where off, and meeting another empire just becomes a quick analysis of which random traits they ended up with. People throw around the word "sterile" a lot of Endless Space, but this seems to fit that bill much more so. Admittedly I still have a good 25 minutes of the video to watch, so hopefully the rest of the gameplay is really interesting or deep.

Finding an ugly disgusting bug as a presentient and uplift them as charismatic and intelligent is just awesome though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's my worry about other empires too. We will have to see how it turns out. Also 30 min if gameplay barely covers initial scouting. No races met, no colonies, pretty much no tech.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

No they should allowed to develop under their own devices!

War will follow if you continue uplifting filthy bug creatures.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Randarkman posted:

There already is an SS division template in the game. It's a motorized/mechanzied infantry division, which is pretty much historically accurate for the Waffen-SS, and many of their divisions particular the ones created later in the war were the first to get their hands on new equipment. The Wehrmacht guys mostly had to depend on boots, bikes and horses. Meanwhile casualties caused alot of German infantry divisions to be reorganized into weaker divisions (less men, less heavy weaponry), and usually renamed "grenadiers" or something to boost morale and gloss over that fact.

You're oversimplifying and cherrypicking wrt the SS. I feel like this has come up before, either in this thread or in the milhist thread.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Personally I feel like the randomized races will add a lot to the feeling of exploration, not knowing who you're going to run into in the course of the game. I always get bored with the same like 8 factions over and over again in other 4Xs, it ruins the feeling of discovery when you play a game once and then in the second game first contact is just you seeing a purple ship and thinking "oh it's the Yor again." The feeling of everything being unknown is one of the big draws to me for Stellaris.

I see the concern, though, and I'll admit I had the same thoughts when it was first announced. I guess we'll have to see in May, but I certainly like the idea at least.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah.

In MOO you know the Psylons are peaceniks, the Mrrshans want to eat you and the Klackons are schitzoid nutters. You know exactly how each race will behave every time.

In Stellaris you don't know a race's traits and attitudes when you first meet them, and it doesn't look like you get clues from their portrait or species type either. That'll make encounters less rote, and that can only add re-playability in my book.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's a lot more to it than the random traits though- their techs will diverge in unpredictable ways, their pops will align differently over time, their ethoses will be different from yours. I agree it won't be a novel thing forever, but I also don't really think other 4x games do the whole "distinciveness" any better than that anyway.

And I know a bunch of us have been a bit critical of Paradox's DLC model lately, but if there's one thing it's very good for it's adding new poo poo to spice things up.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

cKnoor posted:

I am pretty sure the ships go faster the more concurrent people are playing. It's been a while since I tested it.
If you use an auto clicker it won't save your progress. If you're just clicking normally and don't save your progress then something might be up.

After starting up my browser now I was greeted with 2K clicks less than when I left it, so saving is one way or another very iffy.

Even if it wasn't though it's really non-engaging, but requires you to be engaged with it for progress, which is just baffling design.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

dublish posted:

You're oversimplifying and cherrypicking wrt the SS. I feel like this has come up before, either in this thread or in the milhist thread.

Mil history thread, I think. I'm sure someone posted about how they were often equipped with modified WW1 rifles and that their ability to procure equipment altered year y year, mostly based off how much high-level supporters could squeeze away from the army. Procurement was very competitive and the army didn't want to get involved with giving it's poo poo to the Waffen-SS which is why the SS took steps to establish their own production infrastructure, trying to get factories just pumping out stuff for them and having war equipment built in concentration camps - something they only made a little headway with before the war ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm very stoked about Stellaris and from what I've seen so far it looks like something I would enjoy a whole bunch and I will almost certainly purchase on release.

I would eventually like the ability to start a game in a galaxy that feels lived-in though, perhaps almost entirely populated by large developed empires already. A scenario where you start as the uplifted vassals of a developed empire (and thus have access to settling a few planets before you have to stand on your own feet) would be excellent. I'm optimistic that mods will provide plenty of interesting asymmetrical starts even if the basegame doesn't.

That galaxy map also looks a bit flaccid with all the little coloured circles around civs. I don't want to nitpick though, game looks rad.